would you be prepared to pay these prices to meet these guests ?

showmasters

thank you for helping us with this poll it will make a difference   

458 members have voted

1. 1. please pick one of these only if you would pay this amount for a auto

• Jean-Claude Van Damme £45
    • Chris Pine £55
    • Ian Holm £45
  2. 2. same again

• Dolph Lundgren £45
    • Christopher Eccleston £35
    • Karl Urban £55
  3. 3. same and thank you for helping us know your thoughts

• Sean Bean £40
    • Zachary Quinto £75
    • Orlando Bloom £65

can anyone explain this practice of movie stars doing signings for exhorbitant prices............i`m thinking of the harrison ford comments earlier.....$500 for his autograph through the mail......what`s that all about??

it`s well known ford is a guy who likes his privacy,we understand that.and is far from in the habit of making personal appearances,let alone signings,ok,fair enough.he is also an extremely wealthy man,a millionaire many times over.

so,my question is,why do a signing? and secondly,why charge $500 when he clearly doesn`t need the money?.

i never understand this one :headscratch:

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can anyone explain this practice of movie stars doing signings for exhorbitant prices............i`m thinking of the harrison ford comments earlier.....$500 for his autograph through the mail......what`s that all about??

it`s well known ford is a guy who likes his privacy,we understand that.and is far from in the habit of making personal appearances,let alone signings,ok,fair enough.he is also an extremely wealthy man,a millionaire many times over.

so,my question is,why do a signing? and secondly,why charge $500 when he clearly doesn`t need the money?.

Only he could possibly answer that. But why shouldn't he if he wants to? Most of them will probably end up with dealers or on various auction sites so why shouldn't he get something for it too?

He was just mentioned as someone with a very high profile that could command a high price in contrast to some of the people in this poll who many feel are over pricing themselves given what their profile is.

All Jason can do is present the options. Why some will require such high fees to cover costs is down to them. If you dont like it, don't pay it and vote against it.

Only he could possibly answer that. But why shouldn't he if he wants to? Most of them will probably end up with dealers or on various auction sites so why shouldn't he get something for it too?

He was just mentioned as someone with a very high profile that could command a high price in contrast to some of the people in this poll who many feel are over pricing themselves given what their profile is.

All Jason can do is present the options. Why some will require such high fees to cover costs is down to them. If you dont like it, don't pay it and vote against it.

as i said earlier,he quite obviously doesn`t need the money,so what`s in it for him? surely the only reason to do a signing through the mail is A/ to avoid the hassle of a personal appearance.and B/ make a profit...........so,if he`s not into that kind of thing anyway and doesnt need the cash,what`s the ponit of the exercise? i`m sure $500 is not going to make any difference to harrison ford.

He charges $500 because he knows unscrupulous dealers who get his auto for free, sell it at that price. Why let them make profit if he could instead? You see the same autograph dealers, hounding the celebs with dozens of 10x8's and stopping genuine collectors getting just one auto (i've seen these same dealers at the cons btw :YAHOO: )

Harrison Ford spends 1 DAY signing 1000 items, and earns half a million dollars. Doesn't matter how much he has in the bank - he's not going to turn that down!!!

Edited by keithporter23

I can't say how happy this list makes me feel :) If the potential is there for one or more of these guys I'd be happily camping out in the early hours to ensure an auto.

I definitely think Sean Bean is the bargain of the bunch and to be honest I'd be willing to pay more to meet him.

Chris Pine and Karl Urban you could charge a lot more for and I'd still happily pay it, those guys are definitely on my 'must have' list, that you're considering them makes me so happy!!! Thank you!!!!

so,if he`s not into that kind of thing anyway and doesnt need the cash,what`s the ponit of the exercise? i`m sure $500 is not going to make any difference to harrison ford.

Beyond Mr Porter's very sound post, I would also suggest that if Harrison Ford does a signing every few years for $500 a time, then it also sends a message to the industry, and saves him (or his agent) having to deal with dozens of organisers across the world besieging him with requests/invitations to come and do a signing for a few grand. :YAHOO:

Zachary Quinto is awesome, but £75??? :dance: That's a crazy amount for anyone in my opinion, but certainly for someone who's only really known for 2 recent roles, even if they were popular.

I'd love to meet him, and he's probably the only actor from new trek that I'd actually be willing to pay to meet, but certainly not at that price.

Zachary Quinto is awesome, but £75??? :dance: That's a crazy amount for anyone in my opinion, but certainly for someone who's only really known for 2 recent roles, even if they were popular.

I'd love to meet him, and he's probably the only actor from new trek that I'd actually be willing to pay to meet, but certainly not at that price.

Id be prepared to pay a lot depending on the person one thing i would say is zachary quinto valued at £75 is way way too much, he isnt worth that much. Jean claude van damme though...bring him on

Zach's recently said he doesn't like the big impersonal signing events, why not do 'An Evening with Pine and Quinto' and charge for a package and limit it to a couple of hundred tickets?

I can dream...

now that sounds perfect!

I love Zachary and would love the chance to meet him but that does seem like a lot of money but I can see why so knowing me I'd no doubt try find the money assuming that would be a photo price not an autograph price as i think photos are more worth the money.

but I answered the poll with Chris Pine, Karl urban and Orlando Bloom as they are all rather good prices for such good guests

Edited by Miss Ragamuffin

I love Zachary and would love the chance to meet him but that does seem like a lot of money but I can see why so knowing me I'd no doubt try find the money assuming that would be a photo price not an autograph price as i think photos are more worth the money.

but I answered the poll with Chris Pine, Karl urban and Orlando Bloom as they are all rather good prices for such good guests

I'm fascinated by the debate; would I pay those sorts of prices? Probably not. Particularly when the prices mentioned are considerably more than when I picked up autographs from Quinto and Urban at their last events in the US and Australia respectively.

You have to get JCVD and Dolph together!!!! Universal Soldier signed pic by both YES PLEASE!!! And a double photo shoot with tge 2 of them!!! Please make this a reality!!!!

But some of us might want to meet them for other things and wouldn't be interested in a double shoot. Can't always assume that everyone is interested in them for just that film.

I'd be perfectly happy with them on their own. Though I can appreciate it would be cool for fans of that particular film.

have voted Ian Holm, Karl Urban and Sean Bean!

no interest in Jean-Claude personally, sorry!

Chris Pine would love to meet for Star Trek but not at this price, though I daresay if you got him I may have to part with the cash :WINCE:

no idea who Dolph Lundgren is :help: so can safely say no there too, sorry!

Christopher Eccleston wise, I'm not a Doctor Who or Heoros fan so no ta but understand MANY will!

Karl Urban :wub: I have always wanted to meet but think £55 is rather alot! LOVED him in LotR and seen a few other of his films (Ghost Ship and Doom come to mind) but why so epensive? :o

Sean Bean sounds rather reasonable at £40, would meet him for LotR and I recon a certain German moderator would jump at meeting him for Sharpe ;):(

Zachary again would be neat forStar Trek but no way in hell would I pay £75 - that's roughly the same price as Mark Hamill (who was charging $100 US recently at SDCC) and who is much more of a legend!

Orlando Bloom I would like to meet but I've met him at PotC:DMC prem and I think £65 is a little steep, but considering he was/is an "A" lister, he is more reasonable than Zachary!

so there are my thoughts :D

surfy sah xx

You have to get JCVD and Dolph together!!!! Universal Soldier signed pic by both YES PLEASE!!! And a double photo shoot with tge 2 of them!!! Please make this a reality!!!!

But some of us might want to meet them for other things and wouldn't be interested in a double shoot. Can't always assume that everyone is interested in them for just that film.

I'd be perfectly happy with them on their own. Though I can appreciate it would be cool for fans of that particular film.

guests can do more than one photoshoot you know ;)

Reading through the replies I think some people are a little out of touch with reality re: collecting autographs

We all have different priorities and incomes but I can only laugh when people post coments like "I'd only pay £75 for the likes of Harrison Ford etc."

HA! You'd be bloody lucky. As others have mentioned Harrison charges $300-500 per signature at private signings. £10-£30 for every signer would be lovely but some actors demand, and are worth, significantly more.

Personally I think the likes of Quinto for £75 is very overpriced. He has only has two signifcant roles, which albeit popular, are not enough to make him a 'name' or warrant this kind of money IMO. If you compare him to the likes of Sean Bean who has a good filmography as long as your arm but is only asking £40 - its clear which is the bargain here. In fact I'd say Bean is very underpriced and I would pay much more to meet a legend like him if needs be.

Quality of roles aside, some people no matter what their current status in Hollywood just want more money to get them to events like these. I don't mean to sound harsh but I find the thought of paying more than £20 for Van Damme or Lundgren slightly ludicrous given their acting skills, or lack thereof. But hey, if the stars (and their agents) want £X amount to show up and sign autographs, then their real fans will lap them up whatever the cost. Its better than them not turning up surely?

I often think that maybe it might be better if some attendees didn't buy 5 autographs each of 19 different guests just because "they're there" and narrowed their focus to the things they really liked. Just as an example, in the 3 years since I have started attending these shows I have seen only 11 guests. Not because of fund constraints but because I only bother with stars I REALLY want to meet and every auto in my tiny collection is cherished all the more for it. So if the likes of Sigourney Weaver turned up and wanted £150, I wouldn't complain about these prices "setting a precedent" or "some people won't be able to afford it" I'd just ask if it was worth it to me and go from there.

Apart from Quinto, I don't think anyone in the poll are OTT in terms of price. If it takes a bit more for Showmasters to bring us a more exciting range and higher calibre of guest, I say bring it on! And if you'd have to pay £50 for the likes of Orlando Bloom from a dealer, is it really such a trauma to pay another 15 quid to have the chance to pick the photo you want signed and to meet the man himself? Aftreall, we're not just paying for ink on paper.

Edited by Dent_1

I don't mean to sound harsh but I find the thought of paying more than £20 for Van Damme or Lundgren slightly ludicrous given their acting skills, or lack thereof.

I would say that how good their acting is, is down to opinion :) I personally loved him in The Replicant, one of my all time favourite movies!

And when it comes to JCVD, He was also awesome when it came down to fighting type sport. i remember reading that he had a few professional matches as a kickboxer, and so people could want his auto for sporting reasons ;)

As for the rest of your post, I can imagine some people could get away with paying only £75 for his auto, saying as he's be known to sign when attending premieres, which would be completely free :) The part about Zachary Quinto I do agree with in terms of i might not be able to pay it, but it's clear that the role he had in Star Trek was an iconic one. I would say that his character could easily have been regarded as the leading role in the movie, more so than Chris Pine's. -- As well as that, Quinto was quoted just after Star Trek was in cinemas, to have said that he did not want to be doing any signings in the near future (probably meaning a fair few years), likely because he didn't want Star Trek to be his life (if you get where i'm coming from). That could be one of the underlying reasons for the price ;)

Edited by Chantelliosis

I often think that maybe it might be better if some attendees didn't buy 5 autographs each of 19 different guests just because "they're there" and narrowed their focus to the things they really liked. Just as an example, in the 3 years since I have started attending these shows I have seen only 11 guests. Not because of fund constraints but because I only bother with stars I REALLY want to meet and every auto in my tiny collection is cherished all the more for it.

So you are saying anybody who doesn't do it your way can't possibly cherish all their autographs as much as you do your 11? I am sorry but that sounds like crap to me.

Each to their own. If you are happy just meeting one or two at each show, then that is fine, but to diminish those who do it the other way is not fine. Just because some may have other priorities or a wider interest of the guests they are meeting doesn't mean they cherish any of their autographs any less than you do your 11.

I often think that maybe it might be better if some attendees didn't buy 5 autographs each of 19 different guests just because "they're there" and narrowed their focus to the things they really liked.

I'm a fan of Stargate and Spin Offs, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, CSI, House, Dexter, Torchwood, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings.... (insert list as long as my arm here).

While I do not buy 5 autographs each I often see a dozen or more guests per show, I tend not to see guests I don't "like." If I'd go by your theory I should pass on meeting Orlando Bloom just because I like Sean Bean more, and that is not going to happen if the two ever show up at an event.

If someone is meeting guests "just because they're there" that someone obviously has a bigger budget than me. ;)

For some things I am a completist - because I really like that show/movie - for others I am not.

I'm not saying being a completist is the way to go, but if you are a completist (like someone who for example is seeing all Star Wars guests) that really doesn't mean you are treasuring your autographs less than a collector who'd only see Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and the other main actors from Star Wars.

I often think that maybe it might be better if some attendees didn't buy 5 autographs each of 19 different guests just because "they're there" and narrowed their focus to the things they really liked. Just as an example, in the 3 years since I have started attending these shows I have seen only 11 guests. Not because of fund constraints but because I only bother with stars I REALLY want to meet and every auto in my tiny collection is cherished all the more for it. So if the likes of Sigourney Weaver turned up and wanted £150, I wouldn't complain about these prices "setting a precedent" or "some people won't be able to afford it" I'd just ask if it was worth it to me and go from there.

But then you'd have the people who have an Alien poster signed by 4, and Aliens poster signed by 8 etc etc, there are some who could find 1/2 dozen items for her to sign that they desperately want - without even trying, some would happily pay it.

I can think of only two people I'd get more than one of costing between £30-£100. Higher than that it would just get silly, very quickly.

Don't forget if everyone only bothered with stars they REALLY want to meet, the events would be somewhat different. You might only have 10 guests instead of 30. While everyone has to wait in virtual queues for the big guests it gives you the ideal chance to go and get their cheaper co-stars. If they weren't profitable (and they cost a fraction of the fee, so into profit much quicker) they wouldn't be invited.

Headliners bring in the punters, smaller guests are there to help you spend extra cash.

If you've got 11 guests in 3 years, you've spent at most £300 on autos, maybe £100 a year. If everyone did that events would find it much harder to operate.

Well here's a turn up for the books! Sean Bean? He's been on my top 10 to meet list for the longest time and if you get him I can guarantee myself, my wife, my mate, his fiance and... my mother ;)

It's her birthday on the 3rd and has decided she wants a photo with him for her gift!