disgustingly innacurate portrayal of cosplayers!

London Evening standard

i`m not very good at posting links so i hope it comes out ok.

General synopsis is a journalist from the London Evening standard was in attendance at LFCC 11 and this is the piece they presented on the weekend. In it they complain about the amount of people there and how they can`t find a decent cup of coffee and also describe cosplayers as unemployed fetishists, completely disregarding the huge amount of work cosplayers do for charity and at times coming across as bullying and patronising towards the cosplay community in general.

I know many of the people interviewed for the piece are members of the forum and i thought the community in general should see this article and if they feel the same way as i my fiance and i and the countless others who have already submitted their disgust at the paper in general, that they should join us in letting the paper know how wrong they are!

• Moderators

Certainly not the first newspaper article, and won't be the last. If I'm honest, I have actually read worse ones about SM events unfortunately, but I can see how some people would be annoyed by certain things in it.

Silly to focus on whether Daniel Radcliffe is turning up or not though :D

I love how the completely misinterpret what cosplaying is all about. It's not acting people don't do it for a pay cheque they do it for fun. You'd almost think the fans consisting mainly of young teens and people in their twenties couldn't afford a £600 Darth Vadar costume from forbidden planet and slash out another what £200 to enjoy themselves at LFCC.

This hack (I call them as I see them) Richard Goodwin, clearly never set out to do a decent piece about LF&CC to begin with. Sadly, 'hack' is the only true way to describe him, with maybe the exception of 'lazy' because all he has done is to regurgitate all the same old, out-dated by 30-40 years stereotypes with no appreciable research. He evidently felt that the facts were just not interesting enough so he had to add his own bias (which after reading it again, does show quite clearly).

He is conspicuous border-line hostility is readily apparent as he also seems to desperately want to place himself, both intellectually and morally, above it all, as if he is in some way superior to all and any that were there...his waxing lyrical over the supposed sexual connection and his paragraph regarding his ideas about

The...Nietzschean superhero

show a laughable inadequacy that almost beggars belief, and does more to reveal his bitter lack of any real writing skill, as well as a exposing what, I would wager, are word-for-word cut+paste sections of his failed PhD thesis.

But ultimately, it all boils down to this...

At least they got one thing right, they sent along a reporter with the correct name...right Dick?

I certainly replied on their comments!

Let's see if they even put it up lol.

I would have done except far to much rage about that Karen Gillan Hotel thing in The Sun...I'm actually surprised they didn't ban my account 0,0

Are most of the comments on the paper's website from people on the forum? Because they are absolutely true. I have also posted one and I encourage everyone to do the same. This is only allowed to happen because con-goers are seen as weak. So fight back everyone!

I've just seen your comment (I'm guessing it's yours as I've seen you mention you're 14 before) and I have to say that it was so wonderfully put. I obviously agree with everything everyone said but I was very impressed by your reasoning and had to let you know that you put yourself across as a wonderfully intelligent and kind young man. :D

The comparisons between football fans knowing lots of the history behind their teams etc and painting their faces is spot on and I may have to steal that when arguing the geek case myself.

Unfortunatly when you do have such an article and then have several complaints from the very group being victimisied, the protests can rather reinforce the nerdish stereotype.

Feeling picked on and having to defend yourself with facts is such a nerdish thing to do.

• Moderators

Feeling picked on and having to defend yourself with facts is such a nerdish thing to do.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Anyone can be insulted and offended by inaccurate press reporting, and there are plenty of articles on a daily basis that get comments about inaccuracy.

Whee they did put it up. I could have made more of a case but.... I was raging and it wouldn't have been nice :D

Mega, I saw your comment, and I have to say I applaud you. What a well-rounded and mature comment it was. Absolutely spot on.

Also, what is with the hate for cosplayers? I don't get how people dress up for birthdays, hen/stag do's, festivals, carnivals and sports events yet we get the narrow-minded view from a lot of others.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Anyone can be insulted and offended by inaccurate press reporting, and there are plenty of articles on a daily basis that get comments about inaccuracy.

Sure but does anyone here want to sue them for libel?

I speak as a Dr Who fan, many of us are unashamedly nerds. Should we protest about it, the more nerdish we sound. Best just to ignore it.

For every fan that feels hard done by and shouts 'start a campain!' there's more wanting to crawl in the corner and die than be associated with the campain. The protest embarrasses us, not the insult. It just draws furher attention we aren't asking for.

On the rare occasion I've been drinking the more I protest I'm not drunk the more drunk I sound!

Honesty like you said, there've been worse articles. I don't think it did the event any harm.

It looks worse when there's 50 complaints after it. That there must be some truth if it annoys you.

Article like that aren't interested in presenting a factual report; they want a outraged response. If it had no replies the writer would probably be insulted!

Edited by TerraHawk

Are most of the comments on the paper's website from people on the forum? Because they are absolutely true. I have also posted one and I encourage everyone to do the same. This is only allowed to happen because con-goers are seen as weak. So fight back everyone!

I've just seen your comment (I'm guessing it's yours as I've seen you mention you're 14 before) and I have to say that it was so wonderfully put. I obviously agree with everything everyone said but I was very impressed by your reasoning and had to let you know that you put yourself across as a wonderfully intelligent and kind young man. :D

The comparisons between football fans knowing lots of the history behind their teams etc and painting their faces is spot on and I may have to steal that when arguing the geek case myself.

Thank you! That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me! I have seen pictures of you cosplaying and I think I saw you at LFCC this year. I think I speak for all of us con-goers who don't dress up when I say thank you for all that you and other cosplayers do. The convention wouldn't be the same without you guys and you brighten up the weekend! Don't let ignorant people like the man who wrote this article put you down. You are all amazing!

Edited by MegaAdmiralAckbar

Thank you! That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me! I have seen pictures of you cosplaying and I think I saw you at LFCC this year. I think I speak for all of us con-goers who don't dress up when I say thank you for all that you and other cosplayers do. The convention wouldn't be the same without you guys and you brighten up the weekend! Don't let ignorant people like the man who wrote this article put you down. You are all amazing!

Awe, thank you, sweetheart! If we're at any more of the same events and you see me you must come up and tell me who you are so I can give you a hug. B)

Awe, thank you, sweetheart! If we're at any more of the same events and you see me you must come up and tell me who you are so I can give you a hug. B)

To be fair Vamp you are a really smexy cosplayer and do you know how often I say that?...Never but I'm going to start because smexy sounds soooooo omnomnomalicious!

Don't ever change :-D

To be fair Vamp you are a really smexy cosplayer and do you know how often I say that?...Never but I'm going to start because smexy sounds soooooo omnomnomalicious!

Haha! Smexy is a fun word. And omnomnomalicious sounds like something my girlfriend would say. lol

Thank you, muchly. :DB)

Haha! Smexy is a fun word. And omnomnomalicious sounds like something my girlfriend would say. lol

Thank you, muchly.:DB)

I like Smexy! :-) Good to see someone bringing it back mind you if you a story about bad cosplaying.

There was this Collectormania a while ago and I got absolutely hammered the night before and had a very, VERY bad sore throat the day after so when I turn up I've got a hangover and a stupidly deep voice. I literally rushed down in My Beige Trench barely had enough time to sort out my clothes and apparently for that people think I'm Castiel :-D so that was fun!

205090_10150576141680385_739375384_18079678_7238051_n.jpg?t=1312149723

:-D Your girlfriend has the right Idea...sadly I make things up as I go so my idea's usually end...randomly ;-)

Haven't read the article, don't particularly want to but can't say I'm surprised that it's been written.

What gets me though is how is it really any different to going to a fancy dress party or something? That's acceptable so how does going to an event like LFCC dressed up in costume any different? Oh yeah, it's because only weird abnormal people are into sci-fi, anime etc so when they get dressed up it's something strange to poke fun at, not like "normal" people going to a "normal" socially acceptable party at all.

Bet the person who wrote it has been to a fancy dress party or two. Hypocrite.

Ok, so it's not my thing but I fully appreciate the effort that goes into it and how much fun it brings to the events. So credit where it's due.

There's plenty of other events where people dress up - concerts (Kiss fans in makeup etc, anyone been to the Whitby Gothic Weekend? some great outfits there), the afore mentioned parties (how about Halloween?), stag/hen nights, sporting events etc.

Problem is the person probably did it to get a reaction and you've all reacted by posting on the site, so it worked and in his/her mind will reinforce the stereotype that he aimed it at. Just try and ignore it and carry on enjoying what you're doing.

Haven't read the article, don't particularly want to but can't say I'm surprised that it's been written.

What gets me though is how is it really any different to going to a fancy dress party or something? That's acceptable so how does going to an event like LFCC dressed up in costume any different? Oh yeah, it's because only weird abnormal people are into sci-fi, anime etc so when they get dressed up it's something strange to poke fun at, not like "normal" people going to a "normal" socially acceptable party at all.

Ok, so it's not my thing but I fully appreciate the effort that goes into it and how much fun it brings to the events. So credit where it's due.

There's plenty of other events where people dress up - concerts (Kiss fans in makeup etc, anyone been to the Whitby Gothic Weekend? some great outfits there), the afore mentioned parties (how about Halloween?), stag/hen nights, sporting events etc.

Problem is the person probably did it to get a reaction and you've all reacted by posting on the site, so it worked and in his/her mind will reinforce the stereotype that he aimed it at. Just try and ignore it and carry on enjoying what you're doing.

+ You've got pure sexiness in your picture so that automatically makes anything you say the right answer...just throwing it out there ;-)

+ You've got pure sexiness in your picture so that automatically makes anything you say the right answer...just throwing it out there ;-)

Not entirely sure what to make of that. Thank you I guess :thumbup:

I know it's natural to get angry and react when someone attacks something you like/enjoy but a lot of the time jounalists, talk radio presenters are saying what they do just to wind people up and get a reaction.

Unfortunately people who cosplay etc are an easy target. They're seen as strange and weird by others. I get fun poked at me at work and by friends for going to the shows in the first place but they appreciate it's something I enjoy and it's not nasty and in fact end up asking me who I met and what they said etc.

I know they have their views about the people who dress up but they haven't experienced what it adds to the shows and I say again, how is it any different to dressing up for a party? Some of the costumes are even the same. I've seen Spiderman and Batman costumes at football matches, on stag nights etc.

What you guys here do is far more inventive and impressive but I don't understand why they see it as any different to what they themselves do on occasion. Just something else about life that baffles me.

Keep on doing what you do and don't let the *whatsits* get you down.

I just want to thank everyone who left negative comments on this horrible article, and ask those who havent already to do so, if only in a few words. So far I have not read a single positive comment on the newspaper article, and hopefully in the long run there will be some sort of comuppance for the 'reporter' when those above him in the company realise what a hash he has made of this article, and how many people he has angered.