What LFCC Means to Me

Me and my friend arrived at Earl's Court on Sunday at 11:00. We had a fantastic day at London Film and Comic Con. and stayed until 5:30. On the bus ride home, we sat behind a woman talking on her phone to her boyfriend. She was quite obviously a chav. She used stupid slang words, got agressive to her boyfriend and seemed like a general idiot. This made me quite sad for some reason. Then I realised why. At LFCC, everywhere you looked, there was someone like you. Someone you could identify with. you have a certain amount of respect for everyone in the room. And now, I had stepped back in to the regular world. A world where it's hard to fit in. A world where I dislike most of my own generation (I am 14). LFCC has such a warm, friendly atmosphere and I didn't want to leave it. I found myself missing the convention the very next day. It is an escape from the world, where everything is wonderful. Thank you Showmasters for a great time and I look forward with great anticipation to LFCC 2012. And to all the attendees, the brilliant cosplayers and the people like me who just want to take everything in, I look forwad to seeing you again.

Edited by MegaAdmiralAckbar

i think everyone feels the same. i've got post con blues! i love all the same type of people being so comfertable in one place at one time :) i'm trying to get to as many conventions as possile this year and next, keep checking online because there are alot coming up :) no need to feel down!

It's really really hard finding like-minded people in this world. People who like old movies, video games, sci-fi and fantasy. Sure there are people from the general public who have a casual liking of these things, but to find others who you can talk to passionately about it and know they feel the same is what being alive is all about.

Edited by The Prisoner

I agree, meeting and chatting with people who share the same interest is great.4

But, really, we're there to meet famous people, right :D?

Haha we are, but sometimes meeting other attendees can be just as memorable, plus you're more likely to come away with some new friends by chatting to other attendees, as nice as the thought is you probably won't become best friends with the famous people lol.

That's just how I was when I was your age, but the more you go to these things the more comfortable you get. You even end up sparking up conversations with the guests because you'll have met so many it feels natural.

I''m a lot older and unfortunately not the most outgoing and confident of people (though people say i come across fine), but more than happy to chat when I get going, just not so good at making the first move. I've got fairly comfortable at chatting to the guests and have finally started to get to know a few people from here too.

I find the thing to do is not to get to into "fan mode", try and keep calm and think of something to ask about in advance and if at all possible just approach them as you would any friend into the same stuff.

I don't know everything about all the actors etc but always try and think of something vaguely interesting to ask about and that often kicks off a little chat. Sometimes you just pick up one things that are going on at the time, maybe something you or they are wearing etc. For example, Lea Thompson said I had the same name as her husband so that was a good ice-breaker. And there's usually something to start talking to people in queues about. It'll come to you and once you get going it won't seem such a problem at all but a bit of preparation can work wonders and once you ask a question (and not one that just needs a yes or no answer) it'll often lead to another and there you go (if you have time of course).

What a well put sentiment.

How we all need some escapism in our lives.

I watched a TV advert in our hotel room during our stay, it was the one with the school scene where the lad talks about the things he did on his holiday. It's all a series of flash and cut-fast edits of running through the sands, swimming, playing o a beach, going down a water shoot....

In other words...the same old rubbish everyone does every year!

By that time in the weekend, I had already met over a dozen stars from TV and movies...from ALIEN to Dr. Who.

Now, that's the way to spend holiday time!

Now AdmiralAckbar, as for being a bit shy and not talking to many people whilst there...next year (and yes I have already booked our hotel for 2012) please do come and chat with us. There will be three of us, my son (wearing a constant "I have met and am In love with Karen G and Alex K" look on his face - and who can blame him?) my wife and I and we will have lots of Dr Who names on our 'hit-list'

What a well put sentiment.

How we all need some escapism in our lives.

I watched a TV advert in our hotel room during our stay, it was the one with the school scene where the lad talks about the things he did on his holiday. It's all a series of flash and cut-fast edits of running through the sands, swimming, playing o a beach, going down a water shoot....

In other words...the same old rubbish everyone does every year!

By that time in the weekend, I had already met over a dozen stars from TV and movies...from ALIEN to Dr. Who.

Now, that's the way to spend holiday time!

Now AdmiralAckbar, as for being a bit shy and not talking to many people whilst there...next year (and yes I have already booked our hotel for 2012) please do come and chat with us. There will be three of us, my son (wearing a constant "I have met and am In love with Karen G and Alex K" look on his face - and who can blame him?) my wife and I and we will have lots of Dr Who names on our 'hit-list'

That sounds great! I wish I could have met Karen Gillan this year, but unfortunately didn't come on the Saturday. I did see the Alex Kingston talk though. She was lovely!

Luckily this year I met Jeremy Bulloch who, as anyone who has met him will know, is very easy and pleasant to talk to! It's a good thing I bought a Boba Fett t-shirt, as talked to me about it. Someone who was working at the Adult Swim booth also liked it!

I agree, meeting and chatting with people who share the same interest is great.4

But, really, we're there to meet famous people, right ;)?

Sometimes I'm not. There will always be guests I meet, but part of the greatness of these events for me is meeting some fantastic friends I have made over these events. I could see myself still going to them, but not as often and wouldnt make so much effort if if I was on my own.

I will say that meeting the guests is a major plus.. But LFCC is where I can meet my mates who I do not see for 365 days as we live so far apart...

LFCC was our coniversary and it was fantastic to catch up!! This time I got recognised in my cosplay and felt liek a star bneing stopped to have my pic taken and get complimented on how I looked like the 9th Dr!! (No big ego here).

Now its a week later.. I want it to be LFCC again!! Love all my mates and new mates and cant wait to see you guys next year!!

and now all my pics are on facebook!! The freaks of the world are taking the mickey out of me for being who I am and having fun!! They are only jealous!!

Edited by bondy25

LFCC, Collectormania, the weekend conventions... If you'd told me ten years ago that I'd get to meet the people in my signature, some of whom I have idolized for decades, I'd have laughed in disbelief. But now I have, and I'm so immensely grateful to SM for that. (Well, for everyone bar Terry Pratchett; I have to thank my wonderful mother-in-law for that one.)

Getting to meet some really great people just like me has been an unexpected but very happy bonus. ;)

Edited by CosmicAvatar

Me and my friend arrived at Earl's Court on Sunday at 11:00. We had a fantastic day at London Film and Comic Con. and stayed until 5:30. On the bus ride home, we sat behind a woman talking on her phone to her boyfriend. She was quite obviously a chav. She used stupid slang words, got agressive to her boyfriend and seemed like a general idiot. This made me quite sad for some reason. Then I realised why. At LFCC, everywhere you looked, there was someone like you. Someone you could identify with. you have a certain amount of respect for everyone in the room. And now, I had stepped back in to the regular world. A world where it's hard to fit in. A world where I dislike most of my own generation (I am 14). LFCC has such a warm, friendly atmosphere and I didn't want to leave it. I found myself missing the convention the very next day. It is an escape from the world, where everything is wonderful. Thank you Showmasters for a great time and I look forward with great anticipation to LFCC 2012. And to all the attendees, the brilliant cosplayers and the people like me who just want to take everything in, I look forwad to seeing you again.

Nearly a week old and I am still missing it by the way I am 61 years of age, we long for the next LFCC next year and hoping to attend the Glasgow Event in late August. The People that we spoke were very friendly and found that nobody was cheeky we all got on, I spoke with a Lady who was waiting for her Daughter who was in getting one of her photoshoots and she came from Devon I told her that we came from Glasgow, Scotland, she said that they have to travel to get the best and I explained that we were the same, in the Glasgow Event in August there are at the moment 4 guests but we are hoping that Showmasters will get more Guests to come along.

Lets hope that next year will be even a better and BIGGER event.

The LFCC is our highlight of the year to come to London for 3 days :clap:

Edited by Cyberman

When it was MK this year, I organised a newbie meet at the hotel, I was worried no one would turn up, yet at 8pm that night, there was 11 of us, all loving the same things, it was fantastic to beable to sit down and have a proper converstation about everything that we all like and not be made to feel small or like your an idiot!

I have said it before but I will say it again, at our first con last year EMS in November, I really felt like I have 'found my people', no one looks down on you at these events, there isn't anyone to call you 'sad' or to tell you 'to get a life', we are all there for the same reason.

I have met some wonderful people this past nine months (not bad going for newbies!), I have formed some friendships at these events, in the queues for photoshoots at LFCC, I saw so many of my friends I met at MK, we had a good chat in the line and when walking around, instead of walking on by and not talking to anyone all weekend, we stopped and had a good chat, my god even someone we had a good drinking session with and only met once but kept in contact thru FB, met up with us on the Sunday and brought me a birthday drink (and considering the price for stuff in Earls Court was a mission on it's own!) and he said to me before going "don't go just yet" and he pulled out a birthday card!!

Conventions has made us look at life in a different way, and the way I dress these days, before I wouldn't of think of wearing anything in my hair but I do now!!

I am so grateful for SM for having these events and bringing life to us once more!

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean. It was my first con and I've never seen a bigger gathering of like-minded people - it was brilliant. People seemed so friendly there too. I STILL have the post-con blues and I absolutely cannot wait for next year. I might even have to come to the event in October, if they announce some guests that I am interested in.

LFCC, Collectormania, the weekend conventions... If you'd told me ten years ago that I'd get to meet the people in my signature, some of whom I have idolized for decades, I'd have laughed in disbelief. But now I have, and I'm so immensely grateful to SM for that. (Well, for everyone bar Terry Pratchett; I have to thank my wonderful mother-in-law for that one.)

Getting to meet some really great people just like me has been an unexpected but very happy bonus. :D

What I would give to meet Terry Pratchett. How was that arranged?

What I would give to meet Terry Pratchett. How was that arranged?

Signing in a bookstore post-Fifth Elephant. My MiL gave me a heads-up because she is awesome like that. He was wonderful, explaining to my cheerfully oblivious MiL what the potato stamp he had was for, although I was my usual tongue-tied idiotic self. He also complimented me on my hat (that was my MiL's too!).

(Sorry, SM - I know this is off-topic but I wouldn't mention the name of the bookstore even if I could remember it *cough*stupid senility*cough* so hope this is OK.)

Anyway, back to SM stuff now. :D Just saw that cosplay vid set to Raise Your Glass by P!nk. Great job. I don't usually have time or opportunity to snap photos of cosplayers, but I do appreciate the work they put into those costumes - there were some great ones yet again this year. All part of what makes LFCC such a fascinating place to visit.

It was my first LFCC, and for me, it felt like the best weekend ever. It was so much fun to meet new friends, walk around, have people walk up asking for photos of my cosplay. I felt like I fit in for once in my life. Meeting people with the same interests and having a good old laugh is what I really needed since i have always felt different to others.

So LFCC means a lot. A huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge lot.