Do you need to be a fan?

mcbizkit

Hey i've never really watched any of these programes. but am quite keen to go as it sounds like a good laugh. What do you think? would i seem a little out of place as i would be goin on me own. or is it just a good weekend away? thanks folks!

The convention experience is, of course, all part of the fun, but I'm not sure how much you would enjoy yourself at a convention for shows you don't watch, meeting stars you don't recognise. I wouldn't bother going to Chevron - I don't watch Stargate.

To be honest I don't see why you'd want to go to a weekend convention dedicated to shows you don't watch. The whole point it to meet guests associated with those shows and likeminded fans.

I'm going to this for the first time but I love the shows and know I'll enjoy it. I wouldn't go to some of the others just because it looks fun.

I have been to a con where i didnt know the show to see friends but it was no fun, there was no buzz. This fandom is very passionate & you can chat to fans in queues sometimes for hours and as someone on your own a way of starting conversations and meeting friends.

Its no fun if you have no idea who the guests are or what the fans are talking about. A lot of fans will be dressed up as fave characters & you wont have a clue who they are supposed to be either or be able to join in.

It is a good laugh, the parties fun,the fans friendly, but during the day it is all centred around the photos, q&a and auto sessions for fans of that show/guest so not sure if you would enjoy it or get that much out of the event,what would you chat to the guests about?. I guess you could watch maybe 1 or 2 of the shows so you have some idea whats going on.

It just seems like it may be a waste of a lot of money if you have no interest in any of the shows though.

Edited by buffy2k

it's only july you could get watching dvd's of 1 or 2 shows to prepare :D firefly and dollhouse could be done with time to spare by october if you wanted to buffy and angel would take some serious dvd missions to finish but if you really wanted to :D

I was going to suggest that you could watch at least some of the shows. It depends if it is a weekend away, or going as a collector. You would still pick up the atmosphere at the talks etc, especially the talk with all the guests, it is hard not to. And the parties are always fun :lol:

I would say that you will probably want to watch the shows after attending :wub:

I would say that you will probably want to watch the shows after attending :stretcher:

i went to a convention a few years ago, purely for 2 specific guests from firefly. It was a combined convention with battlestar galactica guests too and i`d not seen any of BSG prior to attending but i became a fan very quickly after and bought the box set the day after returning from the convention! :P

I went to my 1st con just cos my sister dragged me along, didn't really watch any of the shows or know any of the guests. Now I'm hooked and have been to a few since and watched all the shows. I'd say the fact that you want to go means you probably have the right mentality, as long as you're happy to hang out with obsessive geeks you'll have a great time!

firefly! By far THE best slice of tv sci fi ever! (i`m probably going to get slated for saying that lol!) Its just so unique and really well written and you actually feel like you know the characters after you`ve watched the series and the film serenity!

SM can we have some firefly guests this year please? Thank you! :P

BUFFY, BUFFY, BUFFY! Start with buffy...its the show that started it all, that made Joss Whedon a house hold name and without that, would not have led onto Angel, Firefly, Serenity or Dollhouse. Buffy IS Joss and in my honest opinion is his best work, the best introduction into the Whedon world is Buffy.

• 2 weeks later...

The Works have Buffy and Angel DVDS 3 for £5 you could pick up some of them, they feature the best of certain characters episodes as well as one voted for by the fans. I also picked up a 3 in one box set of these specials in CEX for 75p

Edited by bex4cedric