Paid talks

How do you feel about them?

I did not go to any of the talks about did you feel they were worth it? more so then the talks that were not paid talks.

Such as Karen's was and Alex's wasn't, was there a difference between them?

Personally I would not pay to go to a talk regardless of who it was I just do not see the point I think it is a lot of money to watch someone talk.

I've been to paid talks at other SM events and have always enjoyed them but sometimes it can depend on the questions asked. If they are interesting it's enjoyable.

Also sometimes they talkee gets onto subjects that are passions of theirs and it can be very intersting hearing about them.

• Moderators

Every paid talk I've ever been to has been highly enjoyable. That's not to say the free ones aren't up to standard, but I've never come away from a paid talk regretting having to give money for it.

I enjoyed both the Karen Gillan and Christopher Lambert talks. Wasn't keen on the new seat numbering system, or lack of. Instead of it being based on how early you buy your ticket, it's now dependant on how many chairs are in a row. So I had number 4 for Gillan, but in a row of 1-40, people with higher numbers got better seats if they got in before me.

I was also very disappointed at the turnout for Christopher's talk. Only 4 rows or so (and not even full rows)...I thought he'd have been more popular. It was also surprising when the talk ended after 30 minutes - I thought the paid-for talks were supposed to be longer than that?

Edited by Zagreus

I suppose my point of view is a bit different as I had a gold pass and that included all the talks.

Karens was enjoyable but definitely less serious than many. Sone interesting questions but lots of fluffy nonsense ones too. But it was great to see her being herself and hearing whSt she had to say.

Christopher Lambert I was totally enthralled by. A fabulous opportunity to hear him speak. The questions were well thought out and provoked some fascinating and very honest answers. Loved it. But very disappointed at the poor turnout. I don't know what he thought but I hope he enjoyed the appreciative few.

The free ones were all enjoyable too that I saw. I'm guessing it's necessary for some to be paid for to cover expenses or simply to limit numbers.

Would I pay for a talk in future? If it was someone I was really interested in yes. But there would be people I'd see at a free one and not a paid one too.

I love the talks. I wouldn't go to one featuring a guest in whom I have no interest, but I've thoroughly enjoyed just about everything the guest has had to say in those I have attended. Not least because I've often been frustrated at being unable to ask the guest something myself in the auto queue, but having my unspoken question raised by someone else in the talk and getting the answer I was after!

I've attended a few paid talks now and found them all reasonable if not excellent value for money in terms of guest input (and good questions), but I appreciate that paying for the experience is not for everyone.

Christopher Lambert's talk had a surprisingly low attendance, and maybe some of that was because people found it an expense too far, but I know at least one person missed it because of the photoshoots over-running. I ended up with a clash with this and Christopher Lloyd's photoshoot due to photoshoots running behind schedule by then; I chose the talk as I'd already got the DeLorean shot if worst came to worst, but was lucky enough to get back to the photoshoot with just four-odd people left in the queue!

The thing is it depends on the guests experience at this sort of thing more than anything I think.

Of the four paid ones, 3 were brilliant and one was ok.

The 3 great ones were Shatner, Stewart and Bakula. Three guys who are very used to events (Stewart less so), being on a stage and holding a room full of people. They answered the questions thouroughly and with applicable tangents into annecdotes that were informative and amusing.

And all 3 stood for the entirety of their talks. Bakula even sang B)

The ok one was teh TW guys at CM London. Not bad, but they sat for it and arnt as used to that sort of thing as the more veteran actors. Was still good though.

From what I've heard from the questions and seen from the pics, its very much showed that it was Karen's first talk of that type (especially alone).

The thing is it depends on the guests experience at this sort of thing more than anything I think.

From what I've heard from the questions and seen from the pics, its very much showed that it was Karen's first talk of that type (especially alone).

It was her first ever convention of this type too. She could easily have been intimidated, overwhelmed or just plain scared at what she'd let herself in for but she really threw herself into it and I think did brilliantly.

Her personality seemed to come across very naturally and if she continues to do these things I'm sure she'll only get better and learn to control and direct the audience more as the veterans do.

The ok one was teh TW guys at CM London. Not bad, but they sat for it and arnt as used to that sort of thing as the more veteran actors. Was still good though.

You really need to attend a Hub and your opinion would change. All the Torchwood main cast and minor cast are excellent in talks and it is a pleasure to listen to them.

Oh I've been to 3 Hubs lol And yes, at those they are amazing.

But I think maybe the slightly different situation/crowd/rules at CML held them back a bit. At the Hub they can cut loose more.

And I didnt mean I thought Karen's talk was bad based on what I heard/saw, just that in comparison to other paid talks I've actually been too, I'd rather attend ones where the guest is very used to and prepared for it, and basically controls it.

I think next time it would be a good idea if there was a stage for talks at the very back of the arena, away from the ambient con noise, and have that as a specific zone, any thoughts on that?

Or if there was some way of making it more enclosed. But it does need to be kept as far away from the other noise as possible I think but as with everything it comes down to logistics and where space is available. Having the main stage where the third stage was would have been much better from a sound point of view though. But if the band hadn't been playing so loudly it wouldn't have been quite so bad. I find it quite easy to cut out general background noise and focus on the person speaking but appreciate not everyone can.

I think next time it would be a good idea if there was a stage for talks at the very back of the arena, away from the ambient con noise, and have that as a specific zone, any thoughts on that?

Or if there was some way of making it more enclosed. But it does need to be kept as far away from the other noise as possible I think but as with everything it comes down to logistics and where space is available. Having the main stage where the third stage was would have been much better from a sound point of view though. But if the band hadn't been playing so loudly it wouldn't have been quite so bad. I find it quite easy to cut out general background noise and focus on the person speaking but appreciate not everyone can.

I'm sure there was a fair bit of room beyond the movie boards that were up, though that might have been used as a 'backstage' or something for all I know, so if that's the case, fair do's. I quite liked the band as I queued for my pic to be done btw :YAHOO: but yeah, they were maybe a little close together.

More enclosure is a good idea

• Showmasters Admin

i do not know if you all know this but the paid for talks help pay for the free ones

with staging , sound tec , seating , walls etc , and fees for guests it all costs a lot so having one or three talks that have to be bought it means we can give the others away for free and everyone has the chance to enjoy hearing what some of the guests have to say .

ands it makes a really cheep day for some fans with less money to spend or children were they can get in for £6 and spend the day looking at all the cool stuff going on though out the day and get into some talks over the day .

we will be adding more free stuff at future events giving even better value for you the fans

jason :YAHOO:

i do not know if you all know this but the paid for talks help pay for the free ones

with staging , sound tec , seating , walls etc , and fees for guests it all costs a lot so having one or three talks that have to be bought it means we can give the others away for free and everyone has the chance to enjoy hearing what some of the guests have to say .

ands it makes a really cheep day for some fans with less money to spend or children were they can get in for £6 and spend the day looking at all the cool stuff going on though out the day and get into some talks over the day .

we will be adding more free stuff at future events giving even better value for you the fans

jason :YAHOO:

No problem Jason. Already aware that was likely to be the case and it's just brillinat how you try to give as much value for money as you can but things do need paying for of course.

I think for guests that they're interested in people are happy to pay. My biggest worry was the poor attendence for Christopher Lambert as it was an amazing opportunity you gave us getting him to the event and it was a thoroughly interesting and enjoyable talk. Was great to see him open up about so many things and give little insights into his work. Very honest and amusing too. I hope he didn't feel offended or anything by the turnout. Loved meeting him and getting a photo too.

I enjoyed the talks I attended, I think I managed 6 this year, and learnt new things about the stars on stage , although I was surprised that all of them were lead by questions, and there were awkward gaps when the answer ended, I know I was just wanting to listen to stars talking about their careers, so they could have just talked (pretty much like Bill Shatner)

I was most impressed by Morgan Sheppard (did he fill in for Brent Spiner at the Star Trek talk, or was he already scheduled?), he was dropping hints as he signed a picture for me about all the things he knew that were "locked up in here" and I'm sure that would have made for a REALLY interesting talk, and the fact that he was teaching actors.

Unfortunately I was in the late picture queue, and missed the final talk, I was feeling pressured to get the train home.

Did the announcer jump the gun at the BTTF talk by announcing everyone too soon?

Sound quality was a definite issue, especially on the Sunday, both for guests and attendees during the talks, not just because of the band and Karaoke, although the showmasters staff were able to repeat the questions at a good volume.

I was a little concerned for Walter Koenig, he was stood right at the front of the stage, and I was worried I would end up with a lapful of Chekov every time he moved back then forward again. I heard a few trite questions over the weekend, but some of the answers were surprising.

I was Gold ticket, but the choice of the two pay talks I think was spot on, Karen being in the top series, and Christopher Lambert (I believe) doesn't do many appearances?

I'm not sure that some of the guests knew how to deal with an audience in the UK, being a lot more reserved (but just as appreciative) than they are used to?

All said, it was great fun, Brent was really funny, the Potterites were lively, as was Karen, I really enjoyed myself.

I think the talks are a great addition to the show, but I agree that some guests some times appear a little lost, where as others are naturals , grab the Mic and entertain for the full time.

I wonder if they could be improved in the future if they were done more in an interview style , where the interviewer asked a round of questions before throwing them out to the audience for their questions.

If Showmasters are ever looking for a willing interviewer to volunteer then I'd be happy to step in.

It does give the opportunity to find out a lot more about the guest and see them for a longer period than the auto op and photo op normally allow.

It's great that some of the talks are free and the other events like the stunt show, they really add to the day and keep the costs manageable.

I'm just wondering when I bought my photoshoot with Derek I specially asked if I could jump to the front to avoid missing Mark Sheppard's free talk, I even queued up with the photoshoot before Derek's to be first in line but when I got there I asked the pit boss about it and she said asked me if it was a paid or free talk when I said free she told me it didn't matter and to get in line. I decide to get a refund and go a few minutes late to Mark's talk and by running like a bee out of hell make it as the last person to get a Derek shoot.

Here's my question is a paid talk given more status then a free talk? Cos being told Mark's talk as free wasn't important was a smack in the teeth and left me with a horrible feeling, no-one should whether one guest is important or not to a fan.

Here's my question is a paid talk given more status then a free talk? Cos being told Mark's talk as free wasn't important was a smack in the teeth and left me with a horrible feeling, no-one should whether one guest is important or not to a fan.

Yes, it is, because you have forked out additional money for the paid talk and the crew will therefore do their utmost to ensure you don't miss it. Same goes for clashing photoshoots. Free talks are (very nice) optional extras. I missed Mark's talk too (among a few others I would like to have seen) and was disappointed, especially as I heard he was really good, but my paid photoshoots had to come first.

Perhaps the crew member could have worded it better (of course it's important to you!), but it was so crazily busy at times, sometimes things were bound to not come out right. There were so many clashing things going on, they would only have had time to prioritize the paid items. If everyone were trying to get ahead in the queue for free talks as well I think it would have been unmanageable, so the line had to be drawn somewhere.

The only problem I had with the talks were the poor crew members. They would all stand in the middle and nervously move about.

On the Karen talk they were fine and spread out. But on the Mark Sheppard talk one whole side of the room didn't seem to get to ask anything till the very end. Mark himself was constantly asking "People in the blue shirts, do your job". Eventually he got up and did there job for them.

Same for Sylvester Mccoy and Sophie.

Also a guy in the crew was playing on his phone during Mccoys talk, even if you're not interested you shouldn't do that. Sylvester turned it into a comical moment by telling him off but still.

Edited by Dan2593

I just love Christopher Lambert, so when the opportunity came up to attend his talk i jumped at the chance. I was suprised by how few people were there, i had to sprint over from one side to the other as Corey Feldman had had 'another' break and slowed down the photo sessions! I arrived just in time to see my hero!

i was disappointed, not with Christopher, but the way that people who hadnt paid £20 could still stand at the back and listen, the pa system wasnt great either....

I had 3 questions answered by my hero, so i was thrilled, but it could have been better.

This was the only talk i went to so i cannot compare others, maybe if you pay, you get a commemorate something or other!

Looking forward to next yr already! :D

Edited by Isla_St

I've enjoyed all the paid for talks I've attended and felt they were value for money. As I had a Gold Pass I had the option of attending the Christopher Lambert talk, but by that time on Sunday I was so exhausted that I had to pop out of the venue to get some food and a caffeine boost! I wonder if anyone else was in the same boat.