Do any of you feel sorry for any of the guests?

This was a similar case with Rickey Dean Logan, we managed to poach him a few times and have a laugh and drank a beer together. We were talking about how me and mate grew up on Freddy's Dead and how his death was one of the best and amusing, so we kept going back and had a few photos and signed my freddy''s dead VHS

Yes, it is a sad sight, some guests treated like mythical creatures, others like abandoned cats.

On Saturday afternoon I sat above the autograph tables in one of the restaurants and watched this play out for some time. Constant long queue for Brent Spiner, good business for Harry Melling and Natalia Tena, but next to nothing for Dave Prowse, Kenny Baker, Garrick Hagon, the "Star Wars" walk-ons (not knocking "Star Wars", I love it, but that's how it was going).

Maybe this tells us that Star Wars has had it's day!!!!! Every time I went past these guys they were quiet and as someone else stated ''Kenny Baker was asleep'', maybe it's time to get some new guests in now!?!?!

Yes, it is a sad sight, some guests treated like mythical creatures, others like abandoned cats.

On Saturday afternoon I sat above the autograph tables in one of the restaurants and watched this play out for some time. Constant long queue for Brent Spiner, good business for Harry Melling and Natalia Tena, but next to nothing for Dave Prowse, Kenny Baker, Garrick Hagon, the "Star Wars" walk-ons (not knocking "Star Wars", I love it, but that's how it was going).

Maybe this tells us that Star Wars has had it's day!!!!! Every time I went past these guys they were quiet and as someone else stated ''Kenny Baker was asleep'', maybe it's time to get some new guests in now!?!?!

[/qu

i really wouldnt worry they must do alright out of them as most of the starwars guests can come when they want i cant see jason saying no to any starwars guest as long as he can make room :D

I'm not worried I just think that maybe it's time for some new guests from some different shows that people will actually go to see, there has to be loads of other guests out there that they could approach rather than just the same ones that are at every single event!

I'm not worried I just think that maybe it's time for some new guests from some different shows that people will actually go to see, there has to be loads of other guests out there that they could approach rather than just the same ones that are at every single event!

i dont think having them makes much difference to if another guest attends or not

It's all depends on the actual guests. I have crewed at 3 of SM events so far and have PA different smaller guests. I do find that the two sporting guests that I have PA previous had a slow steady stream of people wanting there autos. But there can be more times of nothing happening with people queuing up. At these quieter times, these guests might be getting on with pre-ordered autographs etc.

I have known some to leave mid afternoon or else going along the queue and catching up with old friends and people they have not seen for a while. So it can also be used as a catch up event for them and it can be nice to see the beaming smile of the guest coming back because if it was not for the event they might have not seen the other person for god knows how long.

On Saturday I was actually PAing for Richard Franklin and John Leeson who were from Doctor Who. There was a steady stream of people coming along during the day and there was quiet periods too. Some people wanted there autos, while others just come along and chatted with them or between themselves or else with me.

On my part, it was interesting to hear there story's and what they are up to now. I know Richard and I discussed how the younger people were coming up to him and saying they got in to Doctor Who because of the new series and they want back to watch the original Doctor's. They were actually surprised on how good they were and how they actually stood up with time.

So I do think that people get value out of the smaller guests, even if it's just talking to them.

cap

The likes of Prowse and Baker were plenty busy enough early in the day on Saturday. Given the number of events they attend they often have a pretty steady trade which says to me that they are still worth having on the guest list.

Thing is with dave and kenny is they are gettin very old now so will be a case of ohh i should have met him but i thought next time when its to late

[/qu

i really wouldnt worry they must do alright out of them as most of the starwars guests can come when they want i cant see jason saying no to any starwars guest as long as he can make room :D

Star wars had its day dont talk daft,programmes like dr who which may be popular now but as soon as a new dr arrives amy pond will be gone too,plus with the blu rays being released its goin nowhere will still be popular in another 30 yrs but the big guests will be gone

The guests I often feel the most sorry for are the ones seated next to, or close to, someone from the same film or show as them who are much, much busier. An empty queue next to a long one can look so sad.
I felt that when seeing Matthew Waterhouse sat next to Elisabeth Sladen at last year's show; (arguably) the most popular Doctor Who assistant next to (arguably) the least popular. She had a queue a mile long, he had no-one. :thumbup:

Funnily enough, these were the exact guests I was thinking of when I posted my comment. I really like Matthew - I think he's underrated in Doctor Who and seems like a top chap in real life - but seeing him seated next to Lis Sladen last year, the difference in popularity between the two actors was glaring (though it probably didn't help that Matthew had already done a couple of other signing events that month).

Edited by MinkyKnights

Sometimes I do but other times I have been stung for my kindness.

Sunday I saw Lysette Anthony empty for quite a while thought i would go over as I do like her in stuff like Without a Clue and Jack the Ripper. So I went over for a chat and in the end I came away £10 lighter with next to no conversation.

Be vigilant my friends...

Stan xx

• Moderators
I walked past Michael Bailey Smith several times on Saturday and he had no queue. I am afraid I am not a big horror fan so I didn't meet him but he did seem quiet all day.
I was Michael's Guest Assistant on Saturday, and I did talk to him about this - his response was that although he wished he "was a hot chick" (his words) so he could have a bigger queue and lots more people wanting to meet him, it made him appreciate the people that did come up to him, even if it was just for a talk, because he got to spend longer with his fans, and talk a lot more, and get to know people, instead of having to just sign quick photos and rush through people.

It's always nice when people come over and talk to guests when they look a bit lonely or haven't had a queue in a while, and anyone who met Michael over the weekend could tell you he was very chatty and awesome to everyone he met! I did feel sorry for him, and some of the other guests over the weekend, but as Michael said, it makes them appreciate those people who do put the effort in to put get to know the guests and make them feel very welcome for coming along for the weekend.

I think its great that we have a mixture of bigger and smaller guests - not everyone wants to spend the day waiting in queues and some of my best experiences have been with the smaller less busy guests.

The only one's I've really felt sorry for were Nicole de Boar and Chase Masterson - walked past their windy tent at the last CM and they never had anyone with them for ages so popped in for a signature and a chat and ended up chatting for approx 15 mins with the pair of them about DS9 and what they've been up to since.

I had a different experience with Prowse and Baker. Kenny was in good shape and I had to wait 5 minutes before talking to him and there were people behind me. That was on Sunday at about 12.30; at that time Dave :poki: was busy too. I think it depends on the periods as well, 9 am to 6 pm is a long time and there are ups and downs. The two SW icons have attended nearly all SM events so that I wouldn't even call them "guests" but "regular cast" :P

SM only know the real figures and I believe that if they keep inviting them is because they are still popular and sell their fair share of autos.