Do any of you feel sorry for any of the guests?

I've noticed it at a few events and it's bound to happen - some guests are always going to be more popular than others.... I've just seen some guests reading papers and looking out at the hall looking sad... I feel bad for them....meh maybe they still get paid but does anyone else notice this?

I've already mentioned this in a separate thread somewhere, but yes, I do. I feel bad for them, and have gone up on occasion to give some people I wasn't intending to visit some appreciation if I can spare the dosh and they're from shows/films I like (which has often been worthwhile!), but unfortunately my money can only stretch so far...

My friend and I often start at the end of the line and work our way down looking at who is there and deciding who we are going to go and see once we get to the end.

It feels horrible first thing on the morning when there is hardly anyone there, and they are all looking at us like puppies in a pound hoping we will pick them to take them home!

It's not so bad later in the day when the hall is a bit busier!!

I do actually. They've been booked so someone thinks there'll be interest and it seems sad when they spend a lot of the day looking bored etc. But I suppose it has to be expected and I guess for those that do see them you get a lot more time. then again I'm sometimes surprised at how busy some people are as well.

I don't know I noticed the non busy guests got fans talking to them for longer periods of time which I think must have been nice for them in a way.

I felt a little sad for that kid in Doctor Who cause well he is a child and like I dunno you don't want to upset children do you?

Edited by Orangepeel

It feels horrible first thing on the morning when there is hardly anyone there, and they are all looking at us like puppies in a pound hoping we will pick them to take them home!

This made me laugh. It's so true.

The guests I often feel the most sorry for are the ones seated next to, or close to, someone from the same film or show as them who are much, much busier. An empty queue next to a long one can look so sad.

i was there all day on saturday, and met lots of the busier guests, i only went on sunday to meet the Cenobites,

but i went past Corey johnsons table and he had nobody there, he was just sat there twidling his thumbs,

the mans been in some awesome stuff, Saving Private Ryan, The Mummy, Kick ass, Bourne, Band of Brothers, Hellboy

i couldnt believe he wasnt busy, so i went up, said hi, had a little chat about some of his roles, got a Mummy pic signed,

he was a great guest, polite and friendly, would be great to see him back.

Edited by SpaceAce

I got the same impression but it sometimes depends on contingencies and the same "minor" actor can be penalised by an event where most people will spend a lot of money on several more popular guests; on the other hand, I remember Sophie Aldred with very little or no people at an event organised by another company whilst at LFCC she always had a long queue of fans. I also remember a famous star trek captain having huge queues in the morning and when in the afternoon nobody queued up anymore the star left at 3 pm to never come back; I thought that person couldn't stand the fact of being not busy.

I agree with spaceace, Corey Johnson has a lot of potential and could have been a busier guest on a different day/event. I wanted to meet him but when the budget is limited you need to make drastic choices. It also amazed me the fact that legends and sci-fi favourite like Peter Jurasik or Joel Gretsch were not busy at all at times.

Certain guests are always going to be the most popular (Either as legends in their genre or playing lead roles in current hit series) and as other posters have suggested personal finances play a part in how many guests you can go and see and get an auto from.

At the end of the day the guests are getting paid , so I can't feel too sorry for them, but it does surprise me that certain guests aren't busier.

For example I remember Karen Allen knitting at Collectormania and a great guest like Alan Ruck not having a queue at all.

At the LFCC I was surprised that Vivica Fox wasn't busier , but then of course there is a benefit to those of us that do see these guests, because we get a chance to have a chat, which isn't going to happen with the busier ones.

i felt sorry for ashley laurence in the end, if SM knew she had bad eyes... why didnt they put a table in with clive barker for her ??? SM knows we will all try to get a pic of her, so SM was at fault for this DONT blame us for trying to get a pic of her!

• Showmasters Admin

i felt sorry for ashley laurence in the end, if SM knew she had bad eyes... why didnt they put a table in with clive barker for her ??? SM knows we will all try to get a pic of her, so SM was at fault for this DONT blame us for trying to get a pic of her!

mate SM did not know that why she was down for the group shot as well , we do our best but is no one tells us that they have issues then we cannot for see this , so DjxTheGame dont blame us for something we have not done ok , if you do not know about something and want some facts ask us, but do not start blaming us .

jason

yes,i have often thought the same thing myself.it is slightly sad...but also maybe even embarrassing for a guest to have little or no interest from fans.to be fair,these guests are often ones who had walk on parts,or extras,but in popular films,like the guys there at the weekend from star wars.i suppose only a real star wars completest fan would get their autographs.but talking of star wars,i have seen gary kurtz at many events,and never seen him busy yet.whenever i have seen him,he`s always sitting there playing with his mobile phone.but lisa marie was not busy either,which i thought was surprising,with all the tim burton movies she has done.another factor with this subject though i think popularity of some guests has a lot to do with age range of the fans.some films will maybe have more appeal to those who were around at the time it was released.so of course,all the kids will go for the harry potter guests,those of a different generation will be interested in star trek TOS,or alien say.i am generalising here,i appreciate the fact that some movies/tv shows will appeal to all fans,regardless of age.

i must say though,i have noticed a trend for getting more obscure guests with rather ahem...tenuous links to certain popular films is creeping up."stormtrooper with lines"?.....wonder how long his queue was.lol.

each to their own....it was a great event....for some guests more than others no doubt.

mate SM did not know that why she was down for the group shot as well , we do our best but is no one tells us that they have issues then we cannot for see this , so DjxTheGame dont blame us for something we have not done ok , if you do not know about something and want some facts ask us, but do not start blaming us .

jason

i was just saying... when you lot found out about her eyes to the flashing would it been a good idea to put her with barker ? when i tryed to take her pic i got shouted at... thought that was abit rude and didnt make ashley look good because people didnt know about her eyes at that point.

I often wonder just how many more times can "3rd stormtrooper from the left" etc be brought to these events as I never seem to see anyone at their signing tables, do they do these events for free or for a very minimal fee as I can't see how they justify their cost??

Obviously this is my own personal opinion and as I have no knowledge of contracts, fees etc I am purely curious that is all!!!! :D

I know it's not at all possible to do but me and my mum were having a conversation this weekend that resulted in us trying to work out just how much it had cost to put on LFCC and just trying to guess the basics was staggering, but and again it is my own personal curiosity I'd love to see a costings sheet etc because I cannot even imagine what goes into putting an event that size on, I wonder if SM would satisfy my curiosity and show me ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ;)

Edited by ericsdonor

I often wonder just how many more times can "3rd stormtrooper from the left" etc be brought to these events as I never seem to see anyone at their signing tables, do they do these events for free or for a very minimal fee as I can't see how they justify their cost??

Obviously this is my own personal opinion and as I have no knowledge of contracts, fees etc I am purely curious that is all!!!! :D

i agree with you... its just like extras turning up at the show ;)

• Moderators

There will always be die-hard collectors, especially for things like Stars Wars, something which Jason is very knowledgable and passionate about. So there'll always be minor role actors and actresses from things like that.

Trust me, you may never see people at the table, but they always sell some. And they're certainly not that expensive to get there.

There will always be die-hard collectors, especially for things like Stars Wars, something which Jason is very knowledgable and passionate about. So there'll always be minor role actors and actresses from things like that.

Trust me, you may never see people at the table, but they always sell some. And they're certainly not that expensive to get there.

i understand you with this.. im a hard core being human fan, i would get any one from that show no matter how big or little

I do feel sorry for some guests as they do seem like rejected X-Factor contestants wanting Simon Cowell to love them :D .

I walked past Michael Bailey Smith several times on Saturday and he had no queue. I am afraid I am not a big horror fan so I didn't meet him but he did seem quiet all day.

I have been up and met people who have had no queue in the past and it has been good as you have been able to have a bit of a chat but I wonder what goes through their mind when they are just sitting there with no people to meet and have to watch people queuing madly for another guest!

I see a lot of unbusy guests and REALLY want to say hello but have no money :D

i`ve been up to lots of guests just to say hello and have a chat without actually buying anything from them.but,i only do it if they are not busy obviously.in fact,its great if you can find a guest in a "quiet moment" and get the chance to have a real chat.walter koenig had a lull and i chatted for ages with him.

don`t be shy,just walk straight up!

The guests I often feel the most sorry for are the ones seated next to, or close to, someone from the same film or show as them who are much, much busier. An empty queue next to a long one can look so sad.

I felt that when seeing Matthew Waterhouse sat next to Elisabeth Sladen at last year's show; (arguably) the most popular Doctor Who assistant next to (arguably) the least popular. She had a queue a mile long, he had no-one. :D

Yes, it is a sad sight, some guests treated like mythical creatures, others like abandoned cats.

On Saturday afternoon I sat above the autograph tables in one of the restaurants and watched this play out for some time. Constant long queue for Brent Spiner, good business for Harry Melling and Natalia Tena, but next to nothing for Dave Prowse, Kenny Baker, Garrick Hagon, the "Star Wars" walk-ons (not knocking "Star Wars", I love it, but that's how it was going).

Even some boys from "Harry Potter" had nothing to do. Devon Murray was sat at an empty table for a good while, with only an occassional girl or two coming up to ask for a hug before scurrying away. He did seem to be enjoying himself though. :D

Maybe more differentiation in the pricing structure could help to spread the love around a bit?