FanZone Feedback - Cosplay, Gaming, Anime, J-Culture, Artist Alley

We'd like to hear your feedback on these areas. Tell us the good, the bad and the ugly, and we'll aim to improve matters in these areas for future events.

Hi!

I'll give you a bit of feedback on the cosplay event, if that's ok? Great show btw :)

it was cool to have stuff like sweets & water to hand, some costumes can be hot and tiring to wear all day! hehe.

Masquerade:

I was slightly taken aback by the music not starting until I pretty much got on stage. What I mean is that you're only there for a minute at most, so you walk to the stage has to count. I would have picked a different tune had I known that? And the stage was really tiny! Try and see if you can get a bit more of a catwalk set up for next year, if you want to encourage costuming at the event. It doesn't have to be a massive stage, just a bit bigger!

Oh! And the cosplay desk could do with a better sign :)

Cheers xx

You guys seemed to pull in a great crowd for most things, especially the cosplay comp.

I didnt attend anything myself (way too busy) but I did hear/notice a few things on walks past.

Good:

The amount of cosplayers you got. Must of done some great canvasing and grabbing of people to get that many. Did you allow non-made costumes this year though?

The guy with the violin playing movie themes. This was amazing!

Bad:

Karaoke. Yeah, as I said I didnt attend but even I knew how bad this was...from across the hall. Leave this off next year?

I wont mention the live bands as that has been flogged to death on here already. You guys cant really do much about it affecting the talks untill we find other places to do stuff really. So it isnt your fault.

But yeah, seemed like a good first year for you guys all around. Few things to iron out though :D

We'd like to hear your feedback on these areas. Tell us the good, the bad and the ugly, and we'll aim to improve matters in these areas for future events.

Hi!

I'll give you a bit of feedback on the cosplay event, if that's ok? Great show btw :)

it was cool to have stuff like sweets & water to hand, some costumes can be hot and tiring to wear all day! hehe.

Masquerade:

I was slightly taken aback by the music not starting until I pretty much got on stage. What I mean is that you're only there for a minute at most, so you walk to the stage has to count. I would have picked a different tune had I known that? And the stage was really tiny! Try and see if you can get a bit more of a catwalk set up for next year, if you want to encourage costuming at the event. It doesn't have to be a massive stage, just a bit bigger!

Oh! And the cosplay desk could do with a better sign :)

Cheers xx

Hi Wyrd/Loki

Sorry about the music mix up, it was meant to start before you get up on stage but for some reason it went a little bit wrong. During the Junior section, the sound guy didn't even turn the music on at the beginning so our music guy had to tell him to pay attention.

As for the stage...believe me, we were pretty taken back ourselves by the size but it was all that would fit in the space. We're looking into improving that particular area and we hope next time we get a much bigger stage.

I totally agree with the sign thing though. MORE SIGNAGE FOR US!!! YAY!!!

Thanks for your feedback though and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Congrats on placing in the masquerade as well. Your costume was amazing.

@BeatrixKiddo88: Yes...we do go around canvassing and trying to get as many ppl in costume to sign their souls away...uhm....I mean...sign up for the masquerade. It's always fun to wander around and just talk to the cosplayers even if they don't want to be in it because then they know you're there for next time :) It's just a pity every other person I approached was with UK Garrison lol.

We also allowed bought cosplays into the competition this year which were presented while the judges deliberated on the winners. They're not eligible to win a prize but it gives everyone a chance to show off their costumes.

Feedback.......... don't physically push people out of the way whilst yelling at them to move when they're already trying to get out of your way, the woman that did this to me was the one who was leading dressed up people into some sort of parade, she needs to get some people skills.

I do admire all your costumes by the way, I really don't know how you pull it all together and make them yourselves, I am sooooo not creative or handy with a needle and thread!!!!

Feedback.......... don't physically push people out of the way whilst yelling at them to move when they're already trying to get out of your way, the woman that did this to me was the one who was leading dressed up people into some sort of parade, she needs to get some people skills.

I do admire all your costumes by the way, I really don't know how you pull it all together and make them yourselves, I am sooooo not creative or handy with a needle and thread!!!!

I am very sorry if one of my crew knocked you out of the way whilst working. It wasn't intentional I'm sure, she was just trying to stop people barging into the cosplayers and possibly damaging the outfits and just wasn't thinking. Just let me know what she looked like and I'll have a word about being more observant of people in the future.

I just hope it wasn't me. I usually apologise automatically to people but during the masquerade it's such a flurry of activity that sometimes you just aren't aware you've knocked someone.

Edited by Azdeha

Thanks for the apology, I didn't get chance to see her as I was sat on the floor, heard her coming and yelling so tried to get up in time and as I was just standing ready to move off, her hand plonked on my shoulder and shoved me out of the way, by the time I'd turned round she'd scurried off somewhere or so I'm told by my mum who was with me and already stood, I think good old mum wanted to calm me down cos I was pretty angry with how I was treated!!!

It was the only blot on a fantastic weekend though!!!

Well I'm sorry again and I'm just glad you didn't get trod on. Some of those cosplayers had hefty shoes on.

I'll make sure and brief my team for next time about giving people a chance to get out of the way first.

Ah the boys. I thought for a moment you meant me and I was like *sadface*

Unfortunately they're not used to having to entertain guests under a certain age and were stuck for what to do. They're normally pretty good, I can assure you but were having to restrain themselves so as not to get in trouble.

We weren't anticipating so many cosplayers and therefore we had nothing planned to fill in the space and I had hoped we could entertain the audience instead of leaving them with dead air. Alas that was not the case. Next time I'll just do it myself. "Never send a man to do a woman's job" as they say lol.

..... During the Junior section, the sound guy didn't even turn the music on at the beginning so our music guy had to tell him to pay attention.

Just to let you know if it was only for the first junior on Sunday, it didn't spoil anything. My daughter was fine about it as she knows these things happen and as she told me, she just played the music in her head!

The cosplay, as always, was amazing. But I do think you need a bigger space for the crowds and a bigger stage.

As to the poor guys trying to keep a couple of hundred people amused for an uncertain period of time, they had my sympathy. Bad enough if you know it's going to x minutes but a lot worse when you don't how long you going to have to keep going (still I got to tell the Bacon Tree joke!) so no blame attached to them. But I am curious to know why/how the judges could be late.

The gaming zone was well structured and good as always but the card gaming zone seemed to have a bit too much space for the amount of useage it was getting.

More J-culture please. The lady looking after it was great and it provided an interesting diversion breaking up the day with the talks and activities.

I think for a new cosplay desk/masquerade team you guys did really well. You managed to organise a lot of people pretty effectively, tiny things like giving people numbers in line was helpful.

I think the girls did really well M.C.'ing and also I even enjoyed the boy's trying to fill time. I know they weren't prepared to have to do anything like that, especially with kids in the audience but I've seen people fill time in worse ways so that wasn't un-entertaining for me. Maybe something to do in future is just to make a quick plan for what hosts can do if the pre-judging takes too long again. Come up with some silly games or something you can play with the audience. *shrug*

I agree with needing the music to start on your way up to the stage too, as I know me and my girlfriend both timed our music to allow for "walking to the stage" time. This was mainly because I was in the Masquerade at CM this past October and instead of coming on from the side they had us enter from the back and walk down between the audience, this worked really well and so we allowed for the time it might take to walk from the back of the talk area to the stage.

Actually, as a suggestion I'd say making people enter from the back in future might just be more fun. :-)

I also feel that the sound guy was... well... a bit useless... I hate saying this as I don't like putting people down but he was doing the sound for the Stunt Show also and just wasn't paying attention, he sat talking to someone else and Bam had to get his attention to turn the music off after a demo because they'd finished. As someone else has said before, in the masquerade the time I saw the sound guy he was just fussing with cables and looking confused. As I said, I hate to get personal about things but maybe see that whoever's in charge of picking people for that job finds someone a little better.:D

I also agree about the size of the stage but I know you've mentioned it surprised you too. No one expects a huge stage or anything but that one was pretty small... And treacherous. It definitely needs to be made safer.

That's all just constructive criticism though. In general I think things went really well!

As to the poor guys trying to keep a couple of hundred people amused for an uncertain period of time, they had my sympathy. Bad enough if you know it's going to x minutes but a lot worse when you don't how long you going to have to keep going (still I got to tell the Bacon Tree joke!) so no blame attached to them.

Agreed and I loved your bacon tree joke. :-)

Edited by Vamp_Rouge

Thanks for your comments guys! We really appreciate them and I'm still sorry your daughter didn't get her music. She was adorable btw. Some of the other cosplayers adopted her just so know.

As for where the judges were, we do the prejudging an hour before the show, but we had more entries than anticipated and the judging took longer than expected as they speak to each cosplayer in turn and talk about the costumes with them. Then one needed a pee break....

We'll def take your comments on board and hopefully we'll get a bigger stage for next time with non wonky stairs. I nearly came off it myself a few times on Sat in my heels....and we'll probably push the prejudging back half an hour to accommodate any unforeseen circumstances.

And so glad you liked our MCing. I personally hate being up on stage, I always feel like ppl are going to hate me...but necessary evil of the job lol.

Agreed and I loved your bacon tree joke. :-)

Thanks. I meant to say we saw your Madam Gorski which was amazing.

I'm still sorry your daughter didn't get her music. She was adorable btw. Some of the other cosplayers adopted her just so know.

Thank you. Everyone was really kind to her and the cosplay is her favourite part. She's already planning next years....

Thanks for letting me know what happened re the judges.

The bacon tree joke rocked my socks lol.

I agree the guys did the best they could under the circumstances. Having the delay thrown on them, and not knowing how long it would last, daunted them but I think they tried really hard.

Azdeha were you the one organising the queue and giving out numbers? Kudos to you if so, that must have been a nightmare to sort out! We could have done with more space to queue as there were queues for other things squeezed in beside us, and I know poor Marlboro-Man and Hippogriff had a job getting through. I bet the ladies in the swishy floofy dresses had the same problem. I also noticed the amount of people gathering to take pics of all the cosplayers. All in all, a very crowded area.

That also ties into the masquerade area itself. The event was way more popular than I think anyone thought it would be, and that must be taken into account for the next event. Like Vamp-Rouge said, I made my music as if I would be walking down the centre (which would also give the audience more of a close up). But that would not have been possible for the sheer amount of people there standing. And then the stage was a little too small to really show off.

As for the card tournament area, I thought it was a bit too big for purpose. Most people I saw there were eating or resting their legs (I know, I did it too!). I thought the origami club was a nice addition though :)

All in all, a few niggly things, but nothing that can't be rectified for next time :)

That was my colleague BlueEyedValkyrie. I was in charge of the paperwork and the junior cosplayers...

Also known as the stressed looking one behind the cosplay desk in the Esmeralda/Schoolgirl Bellatrix cosplay raging at the laptop and the boss lady muhahahaha....

Edited by Azdeha

And so glad you liked our MCing. I personally hate being up on stage, I always feel like ppl are going to hate me...but necessary evil of the job lol.

Awe, don't worry, that takes guts and you guys were both really professional and spoke clearly and were warm and respectful to all your contestants so you did wonderfully.

Thanks. I meant to say we saw your Madam Gorski which was amazing.

Awe, thank you so much! That means a lot as her costume seems relatively "simple" compared to the other Sucker Punch girls and she's technically a secondary character (but I love her and always go for the supporting cast) so I mostly made her to go with my girlfriend's Rocket costume and was prepared for people not to recognise her, so it's nice when someone does. The strap detailing on the corset and adjusting the sheer blouse took quite a bit of effort.