A couple of random complaints..

I didn't get any photos this time but I remember last year the crew were doing there best to try and put the photos put out but were constantly fighting against people trying to get at the photos before they were even out of the wrappers.

If there is going to be more room at future shows, how about having the photo tables set up nearer the back of the hall and putting up some of the dividers that are used to separate queues to allow the crew time to put the photos out properly before the hordes decscend on them. If there was a bit more space maybe you could even have separate tables for the busier guests or even introduce a queuing system so you don't have the scrum at the table which must cause some of the problems with fingerprints.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the tables had cloths on them on Sunday i think. And at the end of the day would it be difficult to get tablecloths and put them on the tables?. The photos are stacked one on top of the other in the packs they arrive in anyway so its inevitable that one or 2 might get a little scratch here and there anyway.

Somewhere in my mind I seem to remember wooden tables, but I am really not that sure anymore. :smile:

Tables and that stuff are usually rented, so sometimes it can be a bit difficult to get small items like tablecloths.

Giving every attendee in a photoshoot a numbered wristband could prove both costly and time consuming - if you think how many photoshoots were done over the weekend and add them all up, that's a lot of wristbands. Plus many people would probably complain about having to have said numbered wristband 'in' their photo - especially those that were in costume for a shoot!

Also you'd either need a different colored wristband or really large numbers. And then someone thinks a 1 looks like a 7 and that doesn't help either. And just think of poor Rob with over two dozen wristbands then, one per photosession. ;)

The present system isn't perfect, but it does work fairly well IF the attendees don't just rush the collection table!

That definitely is the main problem.

If I understood Jason's comments right it does look like the plan is to spread the collection areas out more. Maybe that will already help.

• Moderators

Of the suggestions made so far, the ones I do think would really help are

1. having a large copy of the photoshoot schedule on the wall at the collection area where photoshoots can be ticked off when the photos have returned and been set out (which saves a lot of 'are xyz photos back yet?' questions and would possibly keep the area a little clearer)

2. have a barrier up that keeps 'the hoards' a few steps back from the table, and just allow people to file orderly along the table to look for their pic

Giving every attendee in a photoshoot a numbered wristband could prove both costly and time consuming - if you think how many photoshoots were done over the weekend and add them all up, that's a lot of wristbands. Plus many people would probably complain about having to have said numbered wristband 'in' their photo - especially those that were in costume for a shoot!

Not sure spotting a pencil-written number would be any easier than spotting your own face, either. And there's also a lot of time added where the crew have to go through and do all that writing, which would just delay getting the photos out even more.

The present system isn't perfect, but it does work fairly well IF the attendees don't just rush the collection table!

Ok then what about a white sticker put on your shirt with your ticket number written on it, now that isnt costly or time consuming. You can buy rolls of stickers at the pound shop! rolls of 200 stickers...buy 5 boxes and you have 1000...simples and only cost you a fiver

As for spotting your face rather than a number, if the photos were put out in blocks of 100 with the numbers written on them then all you would have to do is look for one number rather than going through HUNDREDS of different faces. So on one table you have photos 1-200...if you have a ticket number of 189 you KNOW your photo will be on there. That way you wont have people going to the table that dont need to be there.

All the tables had cloths on them on Sunday i think. And at the end of the day would it be difficult to get tablecloths and put them on the tables?. The photos are stacked one on top of the other in the packs they arrive in anyway so its inevitable that one or 2 might get a little scratch here and there anyway.

Somewhere in my mind I seem to remember wooden tables, but I am really not that sure anymore.:headscratch:

Tables and that stuff are usually rented, so sometimes it can be a bit difficult to get small items like tablecloths.

Also you'd either need a different colored wristband or really large numbers. And then someone thinks a 1 looks like a 7 and that doesn't help either. And just think of poor Rob with over two dozen wristbands then, one per photosession. :smile:

Sorry but when it comes to having a sticker on my shirt...or leaving without a photo ive paid £45 for......i know which option id rather have. If someone is wearing a costume in their photo then thats their choice to have the sticker....at the end of the day the majority of people wear normal clothing and just want to collect the photo they paid for at the end of the event and not end up waiting however many weeks for it after the event has ended

And its not difficult to get a table cloth....use a bed sheet or something. Why put obstacles in the way of simple things like tablecloths?

Edited by Anthonyharrison11

Sorry but when it comes to having a sticker on my shirt...or leaving without a photo ive paid �45 for......i know which option id rather have. If someone is wearing a costume in their photo then thats their choice to have the sticker....at the end of the day the majority of people wear normal clothing and just want to collect the photo they paid for at the end of the event and not end up waiting however many weeks for it after the event has ended

Anthony, it is not like you won't get the photo.

I wasn't at the event, so I am not sure where those 4 to 5 week estimates come from. I am guessing someone wanted to be careful and cautious. It's been 2 weeks on occasion, but very rarely more than that.

etmuse is speaking from experience (and I think we even have the same events in mind): there have been near riots before because of wristbands, stickers and similar. I know it does sound crazy (and I have not understood some of the freaked out people either), but it has happened.

And with stickers we are still facing the same problem as with the wristbands. At some point some attendees would be basically covered in stickers. And what if those fall off? You can stick them on a sheet of paper maybe, but that's a risk of losing them too.

What I've seen done is handing out small paper sheets with a number like A-1010 to the attendees and then photos are put out going by those numbers. That usually happens at much smaller events, but maybe this is an option. That way at least the photos would be put in smaller groups. But again that is really time consuming.

• Moderators

Sorry but when it comes to having a sticker on my shirt...or leaving without a photo ive paid �45 for......i know which option id rather have.

Given how much EXTRA time it would take to write all the numbers on the photos BEFORE they could be laid out on the table, I'd say you were LESS likely to get your photo back with a numbered system than as it is currently... Even just having numbers and laying them out face-up in numbered batches is going to be slower than just laying out all the photos for that guest in a free space on the table.

Other than the noise from music coming from one of the talk stands I cannot fault anything really...except for lack of space at times and ignorant people but that one is nothing to do with the organisers!

Sorry but when it comes to having a sticker on my shirt...or leaving without a photo ive paid �45 for......i know which option id rather have. If someone is wearing a costume in their photo then thats their choice to have the sticker....at the end of the day the majority of people wear normal clothing and just want to collect the photo they paid for at the end of the event and not end up waiting however many weeks for it after the event has ended

Anthony, it is not like you won't get the photo.

I wasn't at the event, so I am not sure where those 4 to 5 week estimates come from. I am guessing someone wanted to be careful and cautious. It's been 2 weeks on occasion, but very rarely more than that.

etmuse is speaking from experience (and I think we even have the same events in mind): there have been near riots before because of wristbands, stickers and similar. I know it does sound crazy (and I have not understood some of the freaked out people either), but it has happened.

And with stickers we are still facing the same problem as with the wristbands. At some point some attendees would be basically covered in stickers. And what if those fall off? You can stick them on a sheet of paper maybe, but that's a risk of losing them too.

What I've seen done is handing out small paper sheets with a number like A-1010 to the attendees and then photos are put out going by those numbers. That usually happens at much smaller events, but maybe this is an option. That way at least the photos would be put in smaller groups. But again that is really time consuming.

Yes, i know i'll get my photo but i wasnt told that there would be a possiblity that i would leave without it. At any point of me handing over £45 was i told that there would be a possiblity that id leave without the photo. I pre booked on time...i turned up on time....no one told me the photos wouldnt.

You do know that stickers come off dont you?...they only need that sticker on them for that photo...once that shoot is done...take it off! lol :rolleyes: its simple common sense. For example i often take my dogs to a dog show and the attendees are given stickers with a number on them which we stick on out t-shirts...at the end of the day that sticker comes right off. Yes i sure their are a lot of people who wont like the idea of wearing a sticker in there photo...but im sure there will be a lot of people who wouldnt mind either...i know i dont. Im not talking a huge,giant white sticker here. Im talking something small enough to write and see some numbers on it. It seems to me obstacles are being put up when really they dont need to. How do you know it wouldnt work unless you tried it. If it doesnt work on smaller scale then you know its not going to work on large scale.

I understand people are speaking from experience but the fact people are complaining about this situation proves that it isnt working. What is happenning now is already time consuming so its obvious something needs to change. Experience doesnt instantly buy you knowledge unless you learn from the mistakes that are being made. The feeling i got at the end of the sunday was that "You paid for your photo, heres the photos we have, if its not there then tough luck and fill out a form "

So the choice is this. Take a stand and change something...or keep things the way they are and let people such as myself leave the con disappointed...which i did and it was my first!. It's alright for the people who did get what they want and what they paid for but the ones who left disappointed seem to be treated like its there fault.

Thats all im going to say on the matter, i know staff were doing their best on the day but something needs to be done about the photo collection because it was a nightmare.

All the Best

• Showmasters Admin

All,

I just want to post a couple of words about photo distribution.

This is something that myself and the office will be taking a serious look at. We have had an explosion in the number of photo shoots people are buying. On Saturday alone we had more than for the WHOLE weekend at LFCC late year and also Saturday was also more than the WHOLE 3 days of C17. Sunday was pretty mad too.

Every so often this happens. The show jumps in size and things that worked OK, suddenly don't work as well. Again for those that had issues this time, we can only apolagise.

As I say we are looking at making it better for next time, both communication to the attendees and the layout and collection. So thank you for your comments, they have been taken on board and we will improve, we always have.

Thanks,

Stuart.

I think having a white board displaying what photoshoots have come back which was suggested by another forum poster is a really good idea, it's simple and effective. I lost track of the amount of times I would have to try and get in close to the table to see what new photoshoots had come in.

• Showmasters Admin

I think having a white board displaying what photoshoots have come back which was suggested by another forum poster is a really good idea, it's simple and effective. I lost track of the amount of times I would have to try and get in close to the table to see what new photoshoots had come in.

That's under communication with the attendees. I have some ideas, that being one of them.

(1) Firstly the older lady with short hair at the main photo collection point was lacking somewhat in people skills. I am aware she was busy but i was looking at the photos when it was quiet and nobody else was about and she moved me on "cause i was causing congestion" she could have been polite but failed. She seemed to forget that we were paying customers and not irritants. The rest of the photo staff were gems under the bust busy circumstances.

I had a few grumbles about her being rather curt when dealing with polite questions, and she also seemed to step in and stop other crew from talking to people either. The answer to all questions seemed to be a "no idea", and you being treated like you were asking a stupid or irritating question.

(3) Corey Feldman...rude rude rude....showed no intrest with his fans, turned up very late on Sunday,wore sunglasses in the photshoot and was just not very nice at all...shame...i will avoid him at all cost in the future.

My friend was really upset by how rude he was to her. She is (probably now "was") a massive fan of his and had come all the way from Manchester just for the day, just to meet him, and he just broke her heart. There was no need for that. I didn't meet him, but from the way he seemingly upsetting people at random (some say he was very nice to them so I dunno whats up with that) I'm glad I didn't.

(4) Every event i go to the sound guy at the talks is hopeless...the difficulties can be funny at first but it gets very boring very quickly...and yes the out side noise from the rest of the event was horrendous and spolied a great many of the talks from the fine guests.

A confused look and twiddling with every wire as if the cabling is damaged, while guests are at times sharing the only working mic (Hellraiser talk anyone?) doesn't make for a great talk. I help out with the PA at my church, and to get 4/5 mics working at equal volume with only a few speakers has never been an issue for us, even on a small budget. if the cabling/PA was as on/off as it seemed, then I guess it just needs replacement. But yeah that shouldve been tested prior to the talks.

But, as I've said in other threads, this was only mild grumbles for me (if I wasnt front row for Hellraiser talk it'd've been a major one though) and the pros of the weekend far, far outweighed my few grumbles so all in all still the best event ive ever been to

Between 5.30 and 6pm I visited the tables on the left hand side (at the main doors) to collect my one and only photograph of KG, only to find that mine's was not there I searched both Morning and Afternoon tables 3 times, the first time I searched as most of the photographs had overlapped each other as other customers were looking for theirs, then out of the blue a older female crew member, started to shout at me not to handle the photographs with your hands - point taken I could have had sweaty hands, I told not to shout at me and told her that I should have brought my white gloves to handle the photographs, another crew member came over and told me that this was not all the photos as some were still being developed and to come back at 6pm, we came back at 5 to six only to find my photo on the morning table, I did catch up with the crew member who told me to come back that I had found my photo on the morning table, she said that was not correct, someone must have moved it - maybe out of spite the older crew member moved it (lol).

SH --- Thank you for a wonderful weekend and my Son and I are looking forward to Glasgow in August 2011 and LFCC 2012. :rolleyes:

Not sure spotting a pencil-written number would be any easier than spotting your own face, either. And there's also a lot of time added where the crew have to go through and do all that writing, which would just delay getting the photos out even more.

Exactly..I tend to look for what im wearing rather than my face too. Sunday I had my star trek bright red tshirt on, so all I had to do was look for bright red tshirts and see which one was me!

Ok then what about a white sticker put on your shirt with your ticket number written on it, now that isnt costly or time consuming. You can buy rolls of stickers at the pound shop! rolls of 200 stickers...buy 5 boxes and you have 1000...simples and only cost you a fiver

As for spotting your face rather than a number, if the photos were put out in blocks of 100 with the numbers written on them then all you would have to do is look for one number rather than going through HUNDREDS of different faces. So on one table you have photos 1-200...if you have a ticket number of 189 you KNOW your photo will be on there. That way you wont have people going to the table that dont need to be there.

I certainly wouldnt want an ugly sticker in my photoshoot, and im sure many others wouldnt either.

As for your numbers suggestion, as someones mentioned already, that would just slow things down even further, so you'd have even less chance of your photo coming back in time.

You do know that stickers come off dont you?...they only need that sticker on them for that photo...once that shoot is done...take it off! lol :huh: its simple common sense.

Then how do you know what number was on your sticker to match up to a photo? Would be completly pointless to have a sticker ruining your photo with a number, to then take it off and back to square one again having to search for your photo yourself when you have no idea what number you were...plus, they would have to be very big numbers on the stickers to show up in the photos?

Im sure this is the case with everybody the organisation completely sucked whoever planned what went where in the event deserves a p45 every Talk was pretty much ruined by the band playing they shouldve been placed away from any talk stages. I personally feel completely let down by the terrible way the handing out of photos was done placed on a table I was told from 3.30pm that my photoshoots from 2pm were on there way every time I asked someone they said it would be 10mins I can understand with the chris lloyd shoots etc that were large numbers but the shawnee smith and ashley laurence shoots were very little. but to keep being told 10mins for almost 2hours was completely annoying. I also spoke to some very rude red T-shirted staff that didnt really have a clue what was going on. the Blue event staff were great this time round I spent over 200 pounds on photoshoots alone this will not be the case next time if we decide to come to anymore at all. I think they shouldve kept everyone moving around the photo collection area people just seemed to be holding there ground by the tables and not budging.

• Moderators

I think they shouldve kept everyone moving around the photo collection area people just seemed to be holding there ground by the tables and not budging.

Have you ever tried convincing people to actually DO this? I've worked photo distribution in the past and no amount of asking, pleading or telling will get people to move sometimes. And if you raise your voice at all or attempt to (gently) physically move people out of the way/back from the table, they then come on here and whine about how the crew were 'rude' to them.

I think they shouldve kept everyone moving around the photo collection area people just seemed to be holding there ground by the tables and not budging.

Have you ever tried convincing people to actually DO this? I've worked photo distribution in the past and no amount of asking, pleading or telling will get people to move sometimes. And if you raise your voice at all or attempt to (gently) physically move people out of the way/back from the table, they then come on here and whine about how the crew were 'rude' to them.

Polaroid is the answer :D

Im sure this is the case with everybody the organisation completely sucked whoever planned what went where in the event deserves a p45 every Talk was pretty much ruined by the band playing they shouldve been placed away from any talk stages. I personally feel completely let down by the terrible way the handing out of photos was done placed on a table I was told from 3.30pm that my photoshoots from 2pm were on there way every time I asked someone they said it would be 10mins I can understand with the chris lloyd shoots etc that were large numbers but the shawnee smith and ashley laurence shoots were very little. but to keep being told 10mins for almost 2hours was completely annoying. I also spoke to some very rude red T-shirted staff that didnt really have a clue what was going on. the Blue event staff were great this time round I spent over 200 pounds on photoshoots alone this will not be the case next time if we decide to come to anymore at all. I think they shouldve kept everyone moving around the photo collection area people just seemed to be holding there ground by the tables and not budging.

To be fair, it was an annoyance but it wasn't that big of an annoyance to put people in the frame of mind of whether they should attend another con or not. I'm sure it's all been taken onboard and next time won't be half as bad.

In the past, when i've been on photo distribution, you have to tell people that it will be an approximate 2 - 3 hours before photoshoots are back and out on tables, simply because they: are cycled to somewhere to be processed, have to be processed, have to be cycled back and then have to be sorted out again by photoshoot (if threre are a few being printed at once). Really a crew member should have said that due to the mass amounts of shoots, it could take a few hours like usual :YAHOO:

And as for keeping everyone moving, well you will know yourself if you were stood there for more than ten minutes, the mass amount of people generally keeps building, and crew do tell people that if they can't find their photo, could they return later so that there was more room. I remember at EMS last year i was stacking photos of the same people from different shoots to save room and mean that people didn't have to return to the table as often

I hope this helps :3

No I Havent Im simply stating it couldve been organised a hell of a lot better Ive been to many of these events over the years all over the country and this was the worst organised event Ive ever been to. like someone stated before the white boards wouldve been great saying what shoots would be where and at roughly what time. Ive been to one previously that uploaded all the photos onto a website and you simply click this is me on the photo. as I stated the crew were great just the attitude on a couple of the ticket sellers and pit bosses left a lot to be desired.

In the past, when i've been on photo distribution, you have to tell people that it will be an approximate 2 - 3 hours before photoshoots are back and out on tables, simply because they: are cycled to somewhere to be processed, have to be processed, have to be cycled back and then have to be sorted out again by photoshoot (if threre are a few being printed at once). Really a crew member should have said that due to the mass amounts of shoots, it could take a few hours like usual :YAHOO:

And as for keeping everyone moving, well you will know yourself if you were stood there for more than ten minutes, the mass amount of people generally keeps building, and crew do tell people that if they can't find their photo, could they return later so that there was more room. I remember at EMS last year i was stacking photos of the same people from different shoots to save room and mean that people didn't have to return to the table as often

I hope this helps :3

I was stood in the general area for long periods of time not stood in front of the tables. The only shoot I was told would be late which was expected due to the numbers was the christopher lloyd one. I wasnt expecting the shoots that only had around 30 people participating in taking as long as they did. My main gripe was the organisation the guests were fantastic. Saturday seemed to run better than sunday which to be honest I thought it would be the other way round and be a bit quieter on the sunday.