A couple of random complaints..

Okay so let me just say i had the BEST time (asides from the walking/standing/endless queuing) and will go next year hopefully. However, there were a few issues which i'm pretty sure i'm not the first to comment (or perhaps i am?)

1: the band that played during the harry potter panel (the sunday one) and the Back to the future talk..... Surely there was some way to have their volume turned down. Also the same with the karaoke. both of these drowned out the panels in the main stage and a lot of people around me, especially, were getting rather irate and some walked out because it was almost, at one point, impossible to hear either the guests OR the questions. The crew seemed to be ignoring any complaints as well, saying it wasn't anything to do with them. fair enough. but surely SOMEONE could have gone over to the band stage and said something? Wouldn't have killed them! i'm sure it was annoying for the panel as well.

2: Not as bad but still annoying - the amount of people that stood in the aisle during panels. Blocking the walkway. apparently health and safety? wouldn't have guessed judging the the crews reaction when asked if they could move the people.

3: the worst problem was at the Karen Gillan talk. a LOT of us queued for that talk, thinking that it would be first come first served (although we'd all paid to have a seat anyway) because that's how all the other talks worked. Then suddenly, without ANY prior warning, somebody decided to have the rows numbers in accordance with the ticket numbers. I don't know who's not so smart idea THAT was, but it wasn't clever and caused chaos! Next time, pre-warn us all before you pull a stunt like that, saving us all a queuing job, and also, SPEAK UP when calling rows! ALSO there were a few rows empty at the talk and a lot of people arriving that day wanting to get tickets but being told it was sold out. I think something could have been done about that with maybe a waiting list? Because theres (nearly) always going to be someone who doesn't turn up to these things even having paid. and therefore, as was the case, could have given other people a chance to have a seat and enjoy the really good talk by Karen.

4: and last of all: the lack of crew in areas where most needed. I saw LOTS of crew walking in to the venue in the mornings, but whenever i was walking around and perhaps needed to ask a question when not near any of autograph areas, there was no one to ask. Okay so yes i could have slogged to the tables at the front of the venue, but sometimes that might not have been possible, maybe for someone in a wheelchair or whoever, so having people walking around on hand would have been nice. Again ,this isn't as important as maybe other things ive said were, but still something i think i should point out.

I don't know how anyone else feels about those above issues, but i dont think im wrong in thinking im not alone.

Anyway, thanks for the fun weekend (despite the obvious.. and the amount of money i spent) i did have a good time. so did my mum. all the guests were really friendly and i managed decent seats for all the talks (aside from Karen's talk) and got loads of awesome pictures.

Edited by I_am_Fallen13

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must agree with the noise during the Christopher lambert talk

There was random screaming ect coming from god knows where (amplified so from a stage)

It was hard enuf for him to understand us nevermind with that going on.

I agree bands should be somewhere else, far away from the talks, preferably in a seperate room so the noise doesn't spread everywhere and overwhelm everything. When I saw there were going to be bands my first thought was 'uh-oh' due to the noise factor.

I liked the old system of paid talks having specific seats and a seating plan up beforehand - that imo worked really well. It took me ages, and asking several crew members, what was happening with seating in her talk as I couldn't find any seating plans. What was happening could have been communicated better too, as I ended up finding a crew member to help me who wasn't actually working on the talks to go into a talk to ask the woman in charge there what was happening, as other people I asked who were working in the talk area didn't have a clue about seating for Karen.

Although calling the numbers was probably quicker, there was quite a crowd to fight through to get to the seating area once numbers were called and I think the previous way of doing it, with the set seats, was more effective and fairer to those who have bought their tickets, as they get the seat they've been allocated.

I love that it's seated according to ticket number, as it meant I didn't have to queue for a couple of hours or so to get a good seat - it's just like with concerts or the theatre, the sooner you buy your ticket the better seat you get. And it's still done in those places for a reason - it works and is fair.

Edited by lizzy88

paid for talks are always numbered, those who bought online had numbers on there tickets, and the first few rows are for golds in all talks

but there does seem to be some confusion with talks from the few ive been to over the last few years, but if someone has talk ticket 1, why should they be right at the back behind 300 ppl who bought on the day?

crew I saw loads of crew everywhere, and even more in the hot spots, shoot areas, auto areas, main desk

band I agree with, the cos play area always makes far to much noise so talks are hard to hear, for the guests also. not sure how practical this would be but in halls where height is not an issue, could the talk theaters not be enclosed in a tent? might help a bit?

A couple of small gripes which i in no way wish to detract from an over all great day.

If these points have been covered else where in the forum i apoligise.

(1) Firstly the older lady with short hair at the main photo collection point was lacking somewhat in people skills. I am aware she was busy but i was looking at the photos when it was quiet and nobody else was about and she moved me on "cause i was causing congestion" she could have been polite but failed. She seemed to forget that we were paying customers and not irritants. The rest of the photo staff were gems under the bust busy circumstances.

(2)The Deloren photo shoot.....was expensive £45.00 and all you got was a normal Christopher Lloyd photoshoot with a bit of the door. Why the picture was like this was beyond me....it could have been anything as you see hardly none of the car. The picture was a disapointment considering the cost.

(3) Corey Feldman...rude rude rude....showed no intrest with his fans, turned up very late on Sunday,wore sunglasses in the photshoot and was just not very nice at all...shame...i will avoid him at all cost in the future.

(4) Every event i go to the sound guy at the talks is hopeless...the difficulties can be funny at first but it gets very boring very quickly...and yes the out side noise from the rest of the event was horrendous and spolied a great many of the talks from the fine guests.

Small gripes as i said.

Still had a fanatastic time and will be back at the next event. :D

Yeah, the paid talks are always numbered seating. When the tickets were sold in the online store, there was a prominent list of conditions, at the top of which was: "Seating is limited and will be numbered, so the first to buy will be the first in the auditorium."

That said, some signs up in and around the talk area might have helped clear up any confusion on Saturday. Were there any? I've seen them at past events, but I didn't catch sight of one this weekend.

Edited by MinkyKnights

3: the worst problem was at the Karen Gillan talk. a LOT of us queued for that talk, thinking that it would be first come first served (although we'd all paid to have a seat anyway) because that's how all the other talks worked. Then suddenly, without ANY prior warning, somebody decided to have the rows numbers in accordance with the ticket numbers. I don't know who's not so smart idea THAT was, but it wasn't clever and caused chaos! Next time, pre-warn us all before you pull a stunt like that, saving us all a queuing job, and also, SPEAK UP when calling rows! ALSO there were a few rows empty at the talk and a lot of people arriving that day wanting to get tickets but being told it was sold out. I think something could have been done about that with maybe a waiting list? Because theres (nearly) always going to be someone who doesn't turn up to these things even having paid. and therefore, as was the case, could have given other people a chance to have a seat and enjoy the really good talk by Karen.

Erm, we were all told waaaaay in advance when we purchased them. I knew I would be front row of the standards because of my number and me and friends were all looking at our numbers to see how close we were because we all knew it would be done in that way.

Erm, we were all told waaaaay in advance when we purchased them. I knew I would be front row of the standards because of my number and me and friends were all looking at our numbers to see how close we were because we all knew it would be done in that way.

I have to say that having experienced the major free-for-all that was the William Shatner paid for talk last year.....the Karen Gillan arrangements were BRILLIANT and totally fair this year.....Too Tall could do with sounting louder on the mic though ;-) Frankly if everyone did as they were asked then it would have been smoother still :D

I love that it's seated according to ticket number, as it meant I didn't have to queue for a couple of hours or so to get a good seat - it's just like with concerts or the theatre, the sooner you buy your ticket the better seat you get. And it's still done in those places for a reason - it works and is fair.

Though wasnt completly ticket number order this time. I was ticket number 18 for Karen's talk, but as the row was tickets 1-40, I ended up right on the end over on the right side. Still, worked fine for me as was only a couple of gold pass holders over there, so besides one person, I had a lovely view of Karen on the stage.

(2)The Deloren photo shoot.....was expensive £45.00 and all you got was a normal Christopher Lloyd photoshoot with a bit of the door. Why the picture was like this was beyond me....it could have been anything as you see hardly none of the car. The picture was a disapointment considering the cost.

On the other side of the coin, if you'd had all the car in, then people would have complained the lighting was off, or you and Christopher were too small in the photo etc. Im afraid you cant please everyone.

On the other side of the coin, if you'd had all the car in, then people would have complained the lighting was off, or you and Christopher were too small in the photo etc. Im afraid you cant please everyone.

I really like my Delorean photo. Yes it wasnt cheap and a bit more of the car would maybe have been nice - from what I've seen there has been some variation in framing - but I hate photos of myself at the best of times and I think it's a great pose and has come out very well. There was always a normal shoot with Mr Lloyd as well if you wanted cheaper. I chose to do both. In fact I love all my photos and that's really saying something for me.

(1) Firstly the older lady with short hair at the main photo collection point was lacking somewhat in people skills. I am aware she was busy but i was looking at the photos when it was quiet and nobody else was about and she moved me on "cause i was causing congestion" she could have been polite but failed. She seemed to forget that we were paying customers and not irritants. The rest of the photo staff were gems under the bust busy circumstances.

I had a few grumbles about her being rather curt when dealing with polite questions, and she also seemed to step in and stop other crew from talking to people either. The answer to all questions seemed to be a "no idea", and you being treated like you were asking a stupid or irritating question.

(3) Corey Feldman...rude rude rude....showed no intrest with his fans, turned up very late on Sunday,wore sunglasses in the photshoot and was just not very nice at all...shame...i will avoid him at all cost in the future.

My friend was really upset by how rude he was to her. She is (probably now "was") a massive fan of his and had come all the way from Manchester just for the day, just to meet him, and he just broke her heart. There was no need for that. I didn't meet him, but from the way he seemingly upsetting people at random (some say he was very nice to them so I dunno whats up with that) I'm glad I didn't.

(4) Every event i go to the sound guy at the talks is hopeless...the difficulties can be funny at first but it gets very boring very quickly...and yes the out side noise from the rest of the event was horrendous and spolied a great many of the talks from the fine guests.

A confused look and twiddling with every wire as if the cabling is damaged, while guests are at times sharing the only working mic (Hellraiser talk anyone?) doesn't make for a great talk. I help out with the PA at my church, and to get 4/5 mics working at equal volume with only a few speakers has never been an issue for us, even on a small budget. if the cabling/PA was as on/off as it seemed, then I guess it just needs replacement. But yeah that shouldve been tested prior to the talks.

But, as I've said in other threads, this was only mild grumbles for me (if I wasnt front row for Hellraiser talk it'd've been a major one though) and the pros of the weekend far, far outweighed my few grumbles so all in all still the best event ive ever been to

A couple of small gripes which i in no way wish to detract from an over all great day.

Small gripes as i said.

Still had a fanatastic time and will be back at the next event. :smile:

corey was ok on the saturday... he took his shades off for our photo shoot that day, but was there the sunday and he was rude... i got his autograph near the end and the workers was saying hes moaning to leave.

Small gripes as i said.

Still had a fanatastic time and will be back at the next event. :WINCE:

corey was ok on the saturday... he took his shades off for our photo shoot that day, but was there the sunday and he was rude... i got his autograph near the end and the workers was saying hes moaning to leave.

i was VERY disappointed with the karen gillan photo... it was with the tardis!!!! my photo with karen looks like iv got an old crappy back door in the back ground... think it would of been alot better to just of had her on her own

i was VERY disappointed with the karen gillan photo... it was with the tardis!!!! my photo with karen looks like iv got an old crappy back door in the back ground... think it would of been alot better to just of had her on her own

Corey mentioned to me as Saturday was reaching its end that his birthday celebrations/travels were starting to take their toll on him and making him really tired. From what I heard on here and his blog he was due to go partying Saturday night, so he was probably hung over and at the end of his tether by Sunday, which is probably why he turned up late. Not that I'm saying he shouldn't enjoy his birthday, but I think it's a shame that either that wasn't taken into consideration when his days were booked or, considering he would be making another public appearance, he wasn't in more control of his party limit.

I'm happy with my Karen photo, but it seemed completely pointless going to the effort of bringing the Tardis in for such a small piece of it in the background - it might just as well have been a cardboard cutout/backdrop. I guess I just went in expecting a vertical us & Tardis pic (like some of the Dr Who promo pics) and was a little disappointed when it wasn't that. This isn't a gripe as I'm chuffed to have it, but I just felt it was a missed opportunity. To be honest, though, I kinda felt the same with the K9 pic - I thought we'd be stood behind the model, but with John Leeson stood in front, all you can see is K9's head peering out from between us.

My daughter and young son was having a look round together when my son went to have

a look at the guests who were in attendance. Unfortunately he had a minor asthma attack, i think it

was due to the crowds, it being warm etc but a member of the crew was trying to move some attendees

and got quite verbal.

It started and ended with the crew member shouting "if you don't move i'll kick your arses"!!

My daughter had to shuffle her brother off to the side as the crew member shouted "Go on move"

Not happy and neither was my son.

I understand that the crew are volunteers, but come on this is unacceptable and it's

put us off from attending another event.

My daughter and young son was having a look round together when my son went to have

a look at the guests who were in attendance. Unfortunately he had a minor asthma attack, i think it

was due to the crowds, it being warm etc but a member of the crew was trying to move some attendees

and got quite verbal.

It started and ended with the crew member shouting "if you don't move i'll kick your arses"!!

My daughter had to shuffle her brother off to the side as the crew member shouted "Go on move"

Not happy and neither was my son.

I understand that the crew are volunteers, but come on this is unacceptable and it's

put us off from attending another event.

I agree, that is unacceptable, please could you email description/name to info@showmastersonline.com as that is not how Showmasters crew should behave

I can only echo what Rhi said. This was completely out of line and is absolutely unacceptable.

I know this doesn't help much, but I am completely stunned and can only apologize for this. This is really a rare exception, should never have happened and I can assure you this is not going to be tolerated.

Like Rhi said, please e-mail info@showmastersonline.com, even if you didn't catch the name of this person. A short description like "blonde guy doing whatever at this line at this point on day X" will be absolutely enough to identify that person.

Tommy, I really appreciate you are trying to help, but I am not sure that is the best way.

We have given them the email address to contact the show, and believe me, Jason and Too Tall will take it very seriously. That sort of behaviour is never tolerated.

Edited by Rhianydd

Guys, can you please stop speculating about the motives of a guest for certain actions?

I've hidden a couple of posts in here, otherwise we will have someone coming on in a couple of hours who gets really worried about the guest seeing these posts, taking offense and possibly not coming back. That and the topic going in another more unpleasant direction is also the reason why I have moved another topic to the mod section.

Thank you for understanding!

Small gripes as i said.

Still had a fanatastic time and will be back at the next event. :thumbup:

I have to agree with you on point 2, the Delorean shoot was way over priced and beause the photos were late back i left without it...So really i paid £45 for nothing because i hae nothing to show for it and proberly wont for 4 weeks!

Right, so it's Showmasters fault for not getting photos back in time for you to leave on a train over which SM have no knowledge of..? Do they not do later trains than 5PM on a Sunday?

If the photoshoot was later, say, 4pm, would you still be grouching about not getting the photos back in time?

Yeah but its not my fault!! im the customer. I pre ordered my tickets weeks in advance and turn up on time......how is it my fault?!. Showmasters know that people are travelling from other parts of the country to attend this event and have to leave to catch trains or whatever at certain times. SM know that the event ends at 5pm and it is unreasonable to ask people to stay over an hour of that because they are late back with photos

Im sorry but there really does have to be another way than the way the photos were handled on sunday...it was a total shambles and a total free for all. Only myself and a handful of people had the manners to stand at the clear end of the table to wait for our photos while a bunch of rude people just pushed their way to the front and just stand and wait until their pic came out...all the while putting their grubby fingers over other peoples photos. While all the polite people did stand at the clear end of the table and not pushing and shoving a, member of staff told us to MOVE to where everyone WAS pushing and shoving....it made no sense. The staff said and did nothing to stop this and made it harder for the people politely waiting by moving the photos we were looking at to the OTHER end of the table.

Have to say i really resent the fact that im being made to feel like its my fault i couldnt stay past the closing time to collect something i pre booked weeks ago and paid £45 for!

This was my first con, i did know sort of know what to expect in terms of queues etc but i certainly didnt expect to leave without what i had paid for.

Once again All credit to the staff handling the queues in photo area A, they were absolutely brilliant and a credit to the day. From the young ladies who collected the bags and hats to the 2 guys controlling the queues.

Im not saying it was SM fault at all! but their definately was a spam up at somepoint because people got sick of asking where the Delorean shoot pics were when only the first 100 had been put out at 4.40.

Atthe end of the day if you didnt have a bad experience then you are going to say you enjoyed everything. I had a few bad experiences unfortunately and i will have to think very hard before i attend another con like this and Sunday wasnt as busy as saturday!!

I didnt go for the car shoot, was to expensive considering id already bought a solo shoot, if they had been announced the same time I would of gone for th ecar.

seeing the pics, most are a little to close, though some look fantastic, especially the ones where ppl did marty poses.

do I regret it? well, half and half, I would of liked one but I reckon with my size, crouching with a close shot, I would of looked like jabba the hut, so half no. I would of liked one but im sure mine would not of looked so great and again it was too much after id already got the solo shoot.

I dont think it was bad though, even the closer ones, he looks far healthier and happier in the car shoots in the ducks top sitting down than in the solo shoots.

regard photo pick up

I agree finger prints are bad, AND if they are really bad ask for a reprint, my friend did on his karen shoot, (tbh ive not inspected mine that closely, but didnt notice any major issues) but there really isnt another way to do it with those numbers of hyenas around the desk without it taking all day to get them to us.

the only thing I would say (which would take more time for the crew and cost a bit) would be to put them all in cheap sleaves. I know another company who do this, its nice, however with the numbers at LFCC it would be a big task and expense. not sure if SM would consider it worthwhile.

I think ppl (US) are to blame mostly, some ppl go there rumage through the pics without any thought for other ppl, and there are so many of them (hyenas i call them) doing it the crew dont stand much chance. not with the amounts of ppl and time frames.

I would suggest larger pick up areas, (they did this later on at this show)

but the thoughtless attendees are more to blame.

pouches would be nice for all pics but not sure if its viable, especially at such a busy con, what 40000 on sat? how many photos? 20000?

About the Karen Gillan talk... if you had a really low numbered seat - you'd expect to be at the front wouldn't you? My only assumption is that you had a really HIGH numbered seat therefore not having as good a view from people at the front. Me and my girlfriend were number 8 & 9 and we were happy that they organized it so that we were in the 4th row (due to the first 3 being gold passes) Hope you understand for future paid talks :)

Wellthe SM crew manage the queues of people perfectly when it comes to the photoshoots and signings so somekind of system really needs to be sorted out when it comes to the photo collection.

Whatabout giving the member of the public a wristband with a number on it so when the photo is taken the number can be clearly seen and then the member of staff can write the number on the back of the photo in pencil and put the photos face down on the collection table. If you see your number pick up your photo.

put the photos face down on the collection table.

Face down could again mean a potential damage problem. It's usually wooden tables, aren't they? It's been way too long, but as far as I remember not all tables have a tablecloth. And scratches are way worse than fingerprints I think.

put the photos face down on the collection table.

Face down could again mean a potential damage problem. It's usually wooden tables, aren't they? It's been way too long, but as far as I remember not all tables have a tablecloth. And scratches are way worse than fingerprints I think.

All the tables had cloths on them on Sunday i think. And at the end of the day would it be difficult to get tablecloths and put them on the tables?. The photos are stacked one on top of the other in the packs they arrive in anyway so its inevitable that one or 2 might get a little scratch here and there anyway.

• Moderators

Giving every attendee in a photoshoot a numbered wristband could prove both costly and time consuming - if you think how many photoshoots were done over the weekend and add them all up, that's a lot of wristbands. Plus many people would probably complain about having to have said numbered wristband 'in' their photo - especially those that were in costume for a shoot!

Not sure spotting a pencil-written number would be any easier than spotting your own face, either. And there's also a lot of time added where the crew have to go through and do all that writing, which would just delay getting the photos out even more.

The present system isn't perfect, but it does work fairly well IF the attendees don't just rush the collection table!