jason thoughts for the weekend and what we feel about the future

SM did have a press juncket thing on friday night with some guests involved so perhaps there will be some sort of retrospective piece to help promote future events

ive also seen pop up on youtube like proper at the signing table interviews? surely these must of been ok by SM so perhaos they are also part of it?

Edited by timelord81r

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume the massive previews and news events are what Jason is wanting to get for the UK too, not a unreasonable idea, considering the number of film premiers here. If we can make it an automatic choice for the film industry to think "premier - lfcc", then all the more fun for us.

If we can make it an automatic choice for the film industry to think "premier - lfcc", then all the more fun for us.

It would need a lot of reworking to be the automatic choice. Such publicity promotions are put on by the film companies, who bring their stars, and many of whom then sign promotional material for free.

LFCC isn't an event known for free promotional signings, and to a degree it doesn't need to be.

If we can make it an automatic choice for the film industry to think "premier - lfcc", then all the more fun for us.

It would need a lot of reworking to be the automatic choice. Such publicity promotions are put on by the film companies, who bring their stars, and many of whom then sign promotional material for free.

LFCC isn't an event known for free promotional signings, and to a degree it doesn't need to be.

Agree. Obviously Jason has his ideas on where he would like to take the show but trying to compete directly and become the same thing may not be a great idea. I think LFCC should stand up on it's own merits as something unique. It doesn't need to copy anything else. Doesn't mean it couldn't encourage such announcements etc but it offers something different and even the guests were loving the vibe of it all. I'd hate that to be lost to just becoming just a news and announcement vehicle.

• Showmasters Admin

I'll repost this (with a small edit so it makes sense) here as I think it sheds some light on this "free promo" situation.

It was first posted just before LFCC, hence the mentioning of "this Saturday".

Getting film/TV companies to do free promo signings at SM shows is not out of the question and I'm sure SM would be open to such things. It's a lovely thought that someone else pays for some big names to come to SM events and so they are free to the public but.....

Although on the one hand it sounds great, and you get some great names like at SDCC for free, on the other hand you have the limited time or volumn factor.

The issue I see is that at SM events our attendees have become accustomed to the fact that if you get there at 8am and stay all day you're 99.9% likely to get everyone you want. We rarely have to turn people away.

I went to SDCC last year and for instance the whole main Supernatural cast were there. Great. But they only signed for ONE hour, and therefore for only 200 people. That was 200 people out of 100,000 attendees THAT day. That's only one in 500 people being seen. You can spend over 3 hours waiting in a queue to get in and get NOTHING!

The same thing happened with the Chuck cast and the Fringe cast.

Can you imagine the complaints we'd get on here if people travelled and paid money for hotel, wait in a queue for 3 hours for us to only let one in 500 get an autograph?

It would be like us only letting 40 (even if we go with 300 i.e. a VERY rushed one hour) people have Karen's autograph this Saturday. Can you imagine the outrage if we did that?

So that's the issue with limited number promotional signings. The names look great but A LOT of people waste a lot of time and money and get nothing.

As I say, not out of the question. BUT there is a big down side to it too.

Thanks TooTall. Think I did read that. As you say plus and minus points to it.

Personally I'd be content to miss the huge guests if it only meant a handful of people meeting them. The positives of them being there wouldn't outweight the negatives for me but just my opinion.

Even though lots and lots met Karen as an example, and it was busy, everyone still came away with a little annecdote about it which often made their day even though it was so brief. I think that would be lost going the other route and would annoy more than it would please the lucky select few.

But ultimately it's Jason's baby. He's a fan too and understands why people appreciate the way it works now. I'm sure he'll do the right thing as it progresses.

Edited by Rockstar6662

• Showmasters Admin

I agree.

Personnally I'd rather have 1000+ people met a great guest for £nn per autograph and have a good time, than have that guest free but only 200 people get to see them.

That's the big lesson I learnt from SDCC. I'd spoken to people before hand so knew pretty much what to expect, but I wasn't completely ready for the madness that I was presented with. The big shiny names look great but when only 0.2% of the attendees get to meet them, is it really worth it.

We all know that it doesn't matter how many time you write "LIMITED TO ONLY 200 people" on the website or the forum or even in the sky. Hundreds if not thousands will turn up having spend £100s and travelled 100s miles because they saw an advert that Angelina Jolie is signing at the event and will 100% believe THEY WILL met Angelina because either they stopped before reading "LIMITED TO ONLY 200 people" bit or it can't possibly mean them because they're the biggest fan in the world.

the bigger the better quite frankly, the more guests you get the more you can have something for everyone. i loved the event and was glad to see it so busy. my only real gripe is the same ive had at every event i have attended, thats the sound quality during the talks. i can barely hear whats being said (made even worse this year by the band) so a new sound system, mics, speakers(more speakers) etc would be great. and honestly a sound guy that actually does something. there were a couple of talks where even the guest had a go at the sound guy for not doing his job and just playing with his iphone.

i just love the fact how big these events have got compared 2 12 collectormanier's back or more wen i first started goin love the extra shows love it all. i know you cant mention other uk shows but did used 2 go 2 another one in the uk but the last 3 years they have gone down hill no big stars they are just concentrating on ainme stuff which isnt my cup of tea but all the showmasters shows are just right they have a little of everything perfect :) love the stars love the collectarbles ;)

thank you.

Wow, thanks everyone, I had no idea that SDCC was limited to the number of attendees who met signers. In that case I feel Jason's system is far superior to that "across the pond" and perhaps explains the high price for audiences and autographs there.

one more thing. karaoke?

I was trying to shop the stalls and couldn't concentrate on what i had or needed to get, because some muppet was shouting over and over - boom boom boom everybody say way oh.

Do not want any more karaoke thankyou very much.

The band was bad enough, the video games were only annoying when you stood next to them, but the karaoke can stay in the pub next year .

I thought this year was excellent. By far one of the best.

Any minor niggles I have have all been raised (bags at photo sessions). Did think the Harry Portter set wasn't lit very well which meant it was quite difficult to get good clear photos or you had to try several times to get any.

Having said that the pluses far out weighted the negatives.

All guests I met where fantastic.

All the crew that we chatted with where brilliant. they were fantastic when my brother had a photoshoot clash.

Thanks to them and to SM for an amazing event. Defo will be back next year B)

Did think the Harry Portter set wasn't lit very well which meant it was quite difficult to get good clear photos or you had to try several times to get any.

Oddly I thought that was one of the better areas for lighting as it was the lights were lower and didn't have the horrible tungsten orange cast that everything else has. The few pics I took there hardly needed any correcting. I did have the ISO setting on my camera at either 800 or 1600 most of the time though and I was using a fast f1.8 lens for those shots which helped a lot.

Did think the Harry Portter set wasn't lit very well which meant it was quite difficult to get good clear photos or you had to try several times to get any.

Oddly I thought that was one of the better areas for lighting as it was the lights were lower and didn't have the horrible tungsten orange cast that everything else has. The few pics I took there hardly needed any correcting. I did have the ISO setting on my camera at either 800 or 1600 most of the time though and I was using a fast f1.8 lens for those shots which helped a lot.

All those in my group including myself ended up with quite dark photos. Mind you, I only have a basic zoom camera so I couldn't change its setting. My mini battle shots with my friend's Tonks didn't turn out at all. Its not a huge disastor as we were able to get enough between us that could be rescued.

Over the years of attending Showmasters events I have always marvelled at the number,and quality,of the guests, the organisation and the crewing of the events and,incredibly,the fact that the prices have been frozen for so long.Reading Jason's opening to this topic was an eye-opener to what happens 'behind the scenes' and what is not fully appreciated by most people,understandably.

With one niggle these events are brilliant to attend and I,among many,wish them to continue for a long,long time.

Oh,that one niggle - The Photo-Shoot Pick Up Area or Not Pick Up Area.

This is the only niggle that persists and defies a solution.

My suggestion - A cordoned off walk-way past the table/s and 2? crew members of a different mentality.Instead of crewing this area with the normal nice people hire 2? blunt,in your face types with the mantra "if you don't see your pic in 5 secs move on and let someone else look".They could have their own tops,say a nice black with the slogan 'Yes,I'm talking to you,numb-nuts' emblazoned in red.

I feel the above is the answer you have been looking for :unsure:

All those in my group including myself ended up with quite dark photos. Mind you, I only have a basic zoom camera so I couldn't change its setting. My mini battle shots with my friend's Tonks didn't turn out at all. Its not a huge disastor as we were able to get enough between us that could be rescued.

Sorry to hear that. If i'd been around I'd have been happy to try a few for you. I've uploaded my photos from the weekend now and included the few I took of the props so feel free to have a look at what I got (these are on the Sunday page).

My LFCC 2011 Gallery

Edited by Rockstar6662

it just needs some organisation when it comes to queues, there were no barriers to queue at, just a big mass of ppl standing around and making it hard to get about, Queues often formed in the middle of traffic isles so some stands were hard to get to.

The talks from what i could see and hear were drowned out by the ambient noise

I was going to have a Karen Gillan autograph but figured it really wasn't worth the price if she wasn't able to at least put your name on the pic or something. Some kind of personalisation is often the only thing a collector has to stop some doubting Thomas arguing and saying its some fake you picked up off ebay or something.