jason thoughts for the weekend and what we feel about the future

I've done bags a few times before, i've never come across someone having their bag taken/stolen by anyone else.

Appreciate that but then that's really down to the honesty of the attendees.

Plus now that it's been so widely reported how "easy" and "open" it is, any ne'er-do-well chancer will know about it for next time.

So we shouldn't mention such things in case people take advantage of it? Come on, be realistic, it was obvious just walking past how relatively insecure it was.

Surely it's better that the issue is raised and addressed in some way.

If i was with someone then I'd have left my bag with them but I was on my own and had no option. The "items left at owners risk" signs weren't exactly encouraging either. I appreciate that might be the case but when you have no option other than to leave bag there you just have to hope it's still there when you come back. Myself and others that have raised this think it is something that needs looking into.

At a basic level all it would need is some way of seperating the tables from the main floor, maybe just a simple barrier directing people coming out of the shoot back past the table so only those going through the shoot would have access to the bag area.

The way it worked at MK was much, much better but they had the space to keep the bag area in the photo area itself.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done bags a few times before, i've never come across someone having their bag taken/stolen by anyone else.

Plus now that it's been so widely reported how "easy" and "open" it is, any ne'er-do-well chancer will know about it for next time.

So we shouldn't mention such things in case people take advantage of it?

No I meant exactly the opposite - now it is pretty public knowledge how insecure it is, it's imperative that something is done, IMHO.

So we shouldn't mention such things in case people take advantage of it?

No I meant exactly the opposite - now it is pretty public knowledge how insecure it is, it's imperative that something is done, IMHO.

Fair enough, I misinterpreted what you were getting at. Though I think it was already rather obvious before anyone mentioned it on here.

Another option might be to have the bag store near the exit. Someone takes the bag and moves it to a table near the exit of the shoot area and makes sure that only those coming out of the shoot pick up a bag. Maybe a little more work for the crew but like showing your ticket stub it would limit bag pickups to those who had actually been in the shoot and minimise the risk.

Another option might be to have the bag store near the exit. Someone takes the bag and moves it to a table near the exit of the shoot area and makes sure that only those coming out of the shoot pick up a bag. Maybe a little more work for the crew but like showing your ticket stub it would limit bag pickups to those who had actually been in the shoot and minimise the risk.

I like that. Instead of having the table in front of the shooting area, have it behind the photographer. As you come in the crew take your bag off you, and then as you pass through having had your photo, you get handed it back. No additional crew or table needed and a lot more secure.

Edited by Starbuck's dad

• Moderators

I like that. Instead of having the table in front of the shooting area, have it behind the photographer. As you come in the crew take your bag off you, and then as you pass through having had your photo, you get handed it back. No additional crew or table needed and a lot more secure.

But how do the crew get it to the other side without walking through the shot? Just trying to have them walk around the outside of the shoot area isn't going to work that well, as that area is always crowded.

This years event was AMAZNG in so many ways. :YAHOO::thumbup::YAHOO:

The lineup alone was enough to want instant transport ability. With photo shoots and talks on top of that it was impossible to do everything - I mean this in the possitive way.

I met 48 guests over the weekend and had 11 photo shoots. My only regret is that I didn't make Christopher Lloyd's talk do to clashes with 2 photo shoots.

Normally when meeting more than 10 or so guests, I will only get one autograph from each of them, but this time I still got 6 from Lea Thompson. So I am glad the show stopped when it did otherwise I might have had to get more. :P:wub:

If you keep this standard you will ruin me for sure. :help::thumbup:

As for the crew, I did have a few minor glitches, but nothing that couldn't be resolved by a nearby crewmember or pitboss. My overall experience with the crew, was that they was very helpfull with all issues, so thumbs up for them. :thumbup:

About the bags at photo shoots, then I like the idea about the table for bags being inside the area. This would take a little more space, but the table or bags could be up against the wall opposite the guest and behind the photographer. When you enter you give your bag to the crewmember, they push them forth past the photographer and as you leave you can grap it from the other end of the table.

There is one problem with this senario though. It could be quite disturbing for both the photographer and the guest to have crewmembers run back and forth with the bags. In that case a second wall or curtain might help.

You put up amazing shows and I am very happy that you give us the oppertunity to meet all these guests. :thumbup:

Edited by Mr. Mundi

But how do the crew get it to the other side without walking through the shot? Just trying to have them walk around the outside of the shoot area isn't going to work that well, as that area is always crowded.

It should work fine, the bag table would go behind the photographer and the two crew that were working on the bag checking desk are inside the studio area. One of them takes the bags off the attendee and puts them on the table as they come in , the other one passes the bag back to them as they leave. It shouldn't require anyone going in the shot or in front of the camers and uses the same resources whilst making the bag area far more secure.

It should work fine, the bag table would go behind the photographer and the two crew that were working on the bag checking desk are inside the studio area. One of them takes the bags off the attendee and puts them on the table as they come in , the other one passes the bag back to them as they leave. It shouldn't require anyone going in the shot or in front of the camers and uses the same resources whilst making the bag area far more secure.

I was thinking more of having a barrier outside the shoot area so as not to distract anyone. This would go along the back of the boards from the way in to the way out. Crew member takes bag at entrance and passes it or takes it along this walkway to the exit. Bag can be placed on another table or on the floor away from the crowds and picked up as person leaves shoot area. kinda like the old passing bucket chain.

Might need to move the boards defining the studio area back a couple of feet to make space for this path but I don't think that would be a big thing. Need a diagram to explain what I mean really. But this would keep bHs away from the masses and only those coming out could pick one up.

thanks for a great show jason,it was good to finally meet you in person,we had a chat in the gold pass chill out room on the sunday,looking forward already to next years event :thumbup:

Ah, was that Jason? I walked in at some point and heard someone asking someone who was sitting down if they thought the room was a good idea. Did wonder who it was.

Well, yes it was. Was great to pop in there for lunch and not have to find space on the floor amongst the crowds. And just to have a rest for a few mins blocking out a bit of the noise and being able to sit on a chair was really great.

Great weekend, very good quality of stars and the vendors were great as well. would especially like to thank Jeremy Bulloch again...he spent most of his time out among the fans signing in front of his table, not seated like the rest of the guests. everyone gets a photo with him, everyone gets the personal experience you attend these shows hoping to get...

Also props to Brent Spiner, Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred...very talkative and appreciative of the fans...giving back the love.

Would only suggest a few improvements, as follows.

Talks need more guidance to minimise the sort of 'can i give you a hug' antics that took place at the Karen Gillan talk. Need to get that mike moving quickly to the next question. Awkward moment at the beginning of Sylvester and Sophies talk (perfectly handled by Mr McCoy, but the mike was left with the guest for too long by the staff IMHO).

Gotta get big names that can do BOTH days. Karen was great but there was zero time with her as demand was through the roof. And the poor womans arm must have been aching the next day, hahaha.

Coke, not Pepsi.

There is a lot of demand here for more more more stars, but the schedule was crazy full, and I was rushing all day just to fit everything in. I spent a massive amount of money and even then didnt quite get everyone I wanted...more is not more, less is more. A few top level stars, a bunch of mid-carders, and then whoever else to fill it out would mean you can draw the numbers and everyone can afford to meet all of them without having to choose for time or budget constraints.

Otherwise, that was awesome, We are already saving for next year.

It was a great event and there were so many fab guests. Saturday was crazy but we managed to get all we had planned to do, so no probs there.

Photos were the big problems - a long tme coming back (I've had to ask for my Christopher LLoyd photo to be sent) and some of the earlier shoots on saturday seemed to have 'got lost' at first.

Having said that, it was the best event ever. Now my feet have to recover.

Great weekend, had an amazing time and was brilliant meeting Christopher Lambert! Well organised and the crew were amazing, special thanks to Liza (I think) who answered my questions on the information stand, she was brilliant.

One thing I have noticed about these events, is the lack of promotion through Film and Comic magazines? I notice magazines such as SFX, Empire and Total Film cover many events, even the SDCC, but never really cover something such as this, is there a reason for this?

I really enjoyed it and love it when you get the big guests. I might not always want to meet them but it just adds something special to the show knowing that they are there.

Now how about topping it all for next time Jason and getting my dream guest Sarah Michelle Gellar :unsure: (I know I've got no chance but I can dream) :D

Great weekend, had an amazing time and was brilliant meeting Christopher Lambert! Well organised and the crew were amazing, special thanks to Liza (I think) who answered my questions on the information stand, she was brilliant.

One thing I have noticed about these events, is the lack of promotion through Film and Comic magazines? I notice magazines such as SFX, Empire and Total Film cover many events, even the SDCC, but never really cover something such as this, is there a reason for this?

I think SM prefer to spend as much money as possible on the show itself, so word of mouth has to mostly be the promotion method. At least two of those magazines have their own reasons to not cover LFCC. (Edit if this isn't vague enough, mods, and I apologise in advance...)

I think SM prefer to spend as much money as possible on the show itself, so word of mouth has to mostly be the promotion method. At least two of those magazines have their own reasons to not cover LFCC. (Edit if this isn't vague enough, mods, and I apologise in advance...)

Considering by the numbers of people queuing up and inside, especially on saturday and what looked like a decent turnout on friday too, the word seemed to have got out ok as far as I could tell. Though of course only Jason will now how successful it's really been.

At the Massive Events weekend conventions, the bags are handled in the same room as the photographer, but you are not talking anywhere near the same numbers of people passing through the room. The noise level would be very difficult to control having so many attendees passing through the room and saying "no not that bag, that one is mine" etc or taking too long to collect their bag then you get a bottle neck.

I havent heard of someone having a bag stolen at one of the shows, and I dont think this now makes it more of a security risk or not, however, Showmasters are always considering and reworking systems for the show as it continues to grow

• Showmasters Admin

i do not know why ?

why not right to them and ask them ? it all helps build up the events in the UK

and UK events are really good events so they should cover them all

jason

i do not know why ?

and UK events are really good events so they should cover them all

Well you do now as you just deleted it :coolthumb:

Collectomania's mention is on page 45 of issue 211of SFX

They do cover them all

DWM had a full page advert for LFCC as do some newspapers, CMMK and LFCC are advertised a lot from what ive seen

the others though i rearely see advertised outside of SM evetns.

Adverts are different to coverage - you can buy an advert almost anywhere for the right price - that's up to the organiser where they target, how much they are prepared pay.

Reviews are different. Hence why many events have a press preview. Not much point for a three day event, by the time the reviews are published its too late to matter.

Thing is though I was buying magazines for 15 years before I was doing events, I recall the full page ads for CM.LF&CC and other organisers events, but it's not the adverts that got me involved. Its the smaller three line entry in a local newspaper, about a local event that got me onboard. They were all I did before the Internet.

It was a bit cheeky for a certian film magazine to be handing out flyers for their own event at Earls Court 1 on Sunday, but they are fully entitled to. Good audience to target.

DWM had a full page advert for LFCC as do some newspapers, CMMK and LFCC are advertised a lot from what ive seen

the others though i rearely see advertised outside of SM evetns.

Adverts are different to coverage - you can buy an advert almost anywhere for the right price - that's up to the organiser where they target, how much they are prepared pay.

Reviews are different. Hence why many events have a press preview. Not much point for a three day event, by the time the reviews are published its too late to matter.

Thing is though I was buying magazines for 15 years before I was doing events, I recall the full page ads for CM.LF&CC and other organisers events, but it's not the adverts that got me involved. Its the smaller three line entry in a local newspaper, about a local event that got me onboard. They were all I did before the Internet.

It was a bit cheeky for a certian film magazine to be handing out flyers for their own event at Earls Court 1 on Sunday, but they are fully entitled to. Good audience to target.

Just seems odd to me that the 3 most popular UK magazines covering film, tv and comics show no interest in covering these events, whereas they're prepared to send writers 5500 miles away to cover the San Diego Comic Con.

• Moderators

SDCC features panels and previews of the biggest TV and Film releases for the next year. It's absolutely no surprise they send people over there. There's a HUGE amount of news that comes out of SDCC.

They don't send the people over to cover the signings or anything.

SDCC features panels and previews of the biggest TV and Film releases for the next year. It's absolutely no surprise they send people over there. There's a HUGE amount of news that comes out of SDCC.

They don't send the people over to cover the signings or anything.

That makes sense. I guess there's not much point in covering a guest panel at the LFCC as its not really about new stuff.