jason thoughts for the weekend and what we feel about the future

We had a brilliant time, were completely knackered and we only went for the Saturday :WINCE: I must admit when I saw the queue for the early birds on the Saturday I panicked slightly and thought we'd be stuck outside for yonks and miss out on the VT for Karen. But credit to the SM team we were inside in around 20 mins and considering the queue was around the back of Earls Court and nearly back around the front when we joined it at 8.45am I thought that was good going. There could have been more space inside as it was a bit congested at times but that's all and we managed to get all we wanted in one day :D

Roll on next year and well done all :smile:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been going to Showmasters events for a very long time, and this past weekend was one of the best.

I had a great time, and I wanted to say thank you again to Jason, and all of the hard working crew, who were all very nice and polite.

I have to take my hat off to you all about re booking all of those hotel rooms....I would have been a gibbering wreck in a corner with a bottle of wine clutched in my hands!

And yes please to the bigger name guests, I really enjoyed meeting Karen, Alex and Christopher Lambert!

I have been going to LFCC since 2005 and this was one of the best yet in my opinion.

Some things worked really well e.g.

1. Preview Night- excellent- a chance to get ahead on some autographs and more relaxed time to chat to guests and also get a feel for the venue before Saturday. It also meant getting a look at the dealers stalls cos that certainly wasn't possible on Saturday!!

2. Crew- amazing- this was my best experience ever with SM crew- It was a well oiled machine- everyone I encountered knew their stuff, were extremely helpful, friendly and calm even when there were minor issues and used their initiative to solve problems- very well done all around. :D

3. Virtual queuing for photoshoots- thank you for doing this- it was great to get an indication of when different numbers were being called rather than standing forever in a never ending queue for the big ones. Also it felt like a "reward" for buying tickets early on-line to get through first.

4. On-going Improvement day to day. On Saturday the talk queues were a bit of shambles and were getting in the way of the stalls and the throughfare around the toilets- by Sunday this was completely revamped and improved and ran far more smoothly.

5. Stunt show- amazing and added something extra and different to the show- more of this please!

Things to be improved:

1. The background noise can be distracting during the talks but also having a loud band etc. on during a talk e.g. the BTTF talk on Sunday, almost ruined it. It was difficult for the actors to hear the questions or the audience to hear the answers which was a shame.

2. It was great to see huge crowds on Saturday for the success of the show but it made getting between Photoshoot A and Photoshoot B areas a complete nightmare - more space and clear "travel through" areas would help if possible in future.

In summary - a fantastic weekend from which I take great memories, photos and autographs- well done Showmasters :P

Edited by Seska1

One potential problem with making it bigger though, especially in the numbers of people you can let in, is that even now many don't get to meet all the guests they want and making it even bigger could just make that even worse.

I'm amazed at how many autographs some people do get through but there's still a limit if you want to retain at least some experience for the person paying for the autograph.

I'd just be concerned that if it gets bigger and bigger, you'd be in danger of simply not being able to cope with the demand certain guests might command for the numbers wanting autographs or photoshoots etc.

If by making it bigger you're just talking about using more space, maybe a few more guests and putting on other unique areas for enterainment then fine but I'd be concerned about the actual numbers of people attending getting too big. Sorry if that seems negative just something that struck me.

one last thing thank you all for attending this event and making it what it was last weekend we could never do this with out you all , we are all fans as you know and together we are getting to meet some mazing guest that i did not thing 10 years ago would ever attend a event like this so thank you for being there for us and supporting us and making it happen.

talk more soon

thank you

jason

i guess for many people in this furom that are thinking this in my opinion from knowing what the shows used 2 b like compared 2 now is incredible i started off just going 2 CM number 5 i think and since then i have made every show apart from 1 and i have 2 say ur shows are the best in the uk! and LFCC is by far the best event i have been 2 i was disapointed because of vast amounts of people even getting in there at 9 on sunday i couldn't meet Christopher Lloyd just because of my timings 2 get home etc! because he was so busy but in a way im happy because the way he was talking 2 everyone is incredible i much prefer stars who chat for a min or 2 instead of sign and bye lol but hay ho its a big essay ive just done and more then likely no one will read but just again would like 2 say thank you jason for such an amazing weekend i will keep coming 2 ur shows as they get bigger like they where from the beginning how far they have came thank you :thumbup:

It was a wonderful convention! :D

I have seen several conventions in Europe and in the USA, but this was one of the best! :D

I appreciated very much the talks and the photoshoots, it is a way to familiarize with the actors, and, yes, Saturday was a great day, but in fact I remained in the building from 9 a. m. to 6 p. m. !

Perhaps some shows could be put in a different way in the weekend, in order to appreciate them better.

I hope that we can meet Stan Lee .... perhaps next year?

however,

thank you to you and to the crew

Brent Spiner and Christopher Lambert were fantastic!! :P

Edited by chiara72

Jason, thanks for taking the time to reply. to everyone.

It was a fantastic event and I can completely agree that Jason and the team are great at learning from events and improving them the next time, having been to the original Collectormania and LFCC.

Obviously the stars are a big draw for the event, but it is about so much more, there is a real community spirit at the event, the areas like the manga/anime zones, the artists alley, trading card tournaments, cosplay etc all make this event what it is.

As a film fan , Stage 3 was great this year, with "Bam Bam's" stunt show and the Fencing Demo, all great addittions.

I personally thought the Harry Potter set was great as well, as did many people who seemed to be enjoying it during the day (see my other points in that thread for more info).

I think an Action Figure Zone (sponsored by a dealer or company like Hasbro) would also be a great addition to the show, with an exclusive figure, showcases of new film related collections and some figures that the younger attendees could actually see and play with.

All in all, bigger and better is good, keep them coming and you'll get me and now my kids coming for another ten years.

All I have to say is .... I AM KNACKERED!!

The weekend for me was FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC, my daughter got autographs from both Karen Gillan & Alex Kingston so she has been telling her nursery friends all day, I did more this weekend than I have done at any of the other events I have attended but it was worth it.

Well done to you and long may your events continue!

One thing I think should be looked into for the next event is how people's bags etc are handled at the photoshoots. We have no option other than to leave it there, often with very expensive camera equipment etc in and all the other autographs etc we've picked up.

Leaving it on a table open to the hall so anyone can pick it up is a concern. Maybe make it a requirement that you have to show your photo ticket stub before being allowed to take a bag. No perfect but something at least and some of the girls supposed to be watching the bag table weren't always focussed on doing that at times.

It has been mentioned elsewhere but this was the only real concern I had and think it's something that does need looking into.

To be fair as open and as fast as the bag thing is, I've never seen anyone post on here saying 'my bag was knicked/lost!' in the years I've been doing this.

It seems, even with the massive amount of people this weekend, that we're an honest bunch :D

I know it could still happen and your ticket stub idea is simple and good though :D

The only minor gripes I have are the paid-for talk seat numbering and being called in large batches for photo sessions. This time I had VERY low numbers for the Gillan and Lambert talks and was disappointed that the seats were numbered in groups. I had number 4 for Gillan but people with higher numbers had a better view of her. I know it must have been easier for the crew to implement but I felt slightly cheated.

Similarly, I had low photo session numbers for the busier photos and looked forward to getting through quickly and rushing to my next photo. But again, it was called in batches of 100. So instead of having a few ahead of me, I had fifty or so Gold then dozens of standard.

To be fair as open and as fast as the bag thing is, I've never seen anyone post on here saying 'my bag was knicked/lost!' in the years I've been doing this.

It seems, even with the massive amount of people this weekend, that we're an honest bunch :lol:

I know it could still happen and your ticket stub idea is simple and good though :rolleyes:

I've not heard any bad stories either but the concern has been raised elsewhere.

At MK it was lucky that there was room in the shoot area for the tables so no one else had access. I just felt this was a bit too open. The ticket idea might help or some way of channeling people coming out of the shoot so they have to walk past the bag area so only they would have access. Just something to think about.

Edited by Rockstar6662

One thing I think should be looked into for the next event is how people's bags etc are handled at the photoshoots. We have no option other than to leave it there, often with very expensive camera equipment etc in and all the other autographs etc we've picked up.

Leaving it on a table open to the hall so anyone can pick it up is a concern. Maybe make it a requirement that you have to show your photo ticket stub before being allowed to take a bag. No perfect but something at least and some of the girls supposed to be watching the bag table weren't always focussed on doing that at times.

It has been mentioned elsewhere but this was the only real concern I had and think it's something that does need looking into.

I've done bags a few times before, i've never come across someone having their bag taken/stolen by anyone else.

I've done bags a few times before, i've never come across someone having their bag taken/stolen by anyone else.

Appreciate that but then that's really down to the honesty of the attendees. There's actually no way of you, as a crew member, currently knowing that if someone picks up a bag that it is actually theirs. Not your fault and I'm not trying to say you don't do a good job etc, it's just something to think about.

ok not sure if this has been suggested before but maybe for talk questions people could be asked to go down the side and the staff can decide if the question is worth it

it would also cut out the need to have a staff member running around trying to find people and would be easier for the guest

mark sheppard was great running around the talk finding people and being nearer so he could hear the question and it must of been nice to have him right next to you when you ask the question but not to fair for the guest plus it cut down on talk time

another idea is the photos supplied

maybe when a guest attends the event a nice head shot could be taken for use for any future events they might attend i for one would sometimes prefer a picture of them rather than as a character

last one

when people order tickets maybe take a poll of the guests they want to see might help decide on where to put the busier guests to keep them together

i went to far over into another guests "side" (which was empty btw) whilst waiting and an agent complained it wasnt being kept clear enough

ok not sure if this has been suggested before but maybe for talk questions people could be asked to go down the side and the staff can decide if the question is worth it

This has been done at cons before, and I know at a recent one where I was crewing in the main hall. We were checking the questions that the person will be asking and cleared it. When it was there turn to get to the microphone they asked a totally different question of which wasn't improper and we couldn't stop them from doing it. So there is pros and cons to it.

cap

Sounds like the lady who served me, i tried so hard to cheer her up saying i know its late but heres my tickets 277 and 278 and i want to buy auto tickets. Halfway through transaction i said two tickets not one and she gave me some story how i only showed her one ticket so could only get one auto. nobody seemed to care as it was end of the day. It just took too long for photos to come back.

Thanks SM for an amazing LFCC!! :P This is only my second but it was my favourite!! :D

I only met two people, Natalia Tena and Karen Gillan. I only got Natalia's autograph (when I got there it said no photos but later they allowed them, but she had to go literally as I got to her desk for a photo! I understand this wasn't SM's fault or Natalia's but I didn't mind because I'd got her autograph anyways :P ), and I got my photo and an autograph from Karen. It took four hours to get to London from Oxford due to engineering on the train lines and MASSIVE queues for the Oxford Tube and Oxford Espress coaches. I missed Karen's first photoshoot but got there just in time for her second, and I was able to get near the front of the queue as I was number 49 for her photos. I had a great day overall but there was only one thing that was a little disappointing, even though it worked out. I don't like to complain but I just want to make this known:

I already mentioned it but I was VQ ticket 1418 for Karen's autograph, and so my mum decided not to buy an autograph ticket from the credit card desk in case our number wasn't called, but at about 5:55 it got up to 1399 so we ran to buy a ticket - only to be told by one of the people at the desk that she wouldn't sell us a ticket because the queue for Karen's autograph was too long! This annoyed us as she couldn't actually see the queue from where she was and nearly everyone had gone into the booth. I hadn't kept my hopes up anyway so I thought we would just go home without and I didn't mind, but then we went to go and find my friend who had just gone into Karen's autograph. She told us that it was Open Q so I waited by the queue while my mum ran through to the desk. We were so lucky to get into the booth literally seconds before six when the crew had said no one else would be let in - which was understandable.

Sorry for my mini rant but we did think that it was a bit unfair that we were refused a ticket when she couldn't see the size of the queue, I don't like moaning but I had an amazing day anyway - and hey, I got Karen's autograph anyway and she said she loved the photo, it was my photoshoot pic with her. Thanks again SM and sorry for moaning!:thumbup:

At cons like the HUb they ask for questions to be sent in advance. That seems to work rather well. Then when those are done they open it up to the floor.

Could work well at these too.

It may not be suitable or possible for all the talks but I really liked the format of the Christopher Lambert one with the guy on the stage filling gaps, asking follow ups etc. Thought it really helped to make it flow almost like a conversation but still let people in the crowd ask questions.

Leaving it on a table open to the hall so anyone can pick it up is a concern. ...It has been mentioned elsewhere but this was the only real concern I had and think it's something that does need looking into.

Appreciate that but then that's really down to the honesty of the attendees.

Plus now that it's been so widely reported how "easy" and "open" it is, any ne'er-do-well chancer will know about it for next time.