Was this year's LFCC *too* big?

Everyone has different priorities for what they want from the event, and I think it's an incredible juggling act for Showmasters to keep so many interests happy. This year there was more space, with the issue of the management of that, more guests, and longer queues, and the challenge of opening on a Friday night. I noticed that there have been issues raised over photograph handling and collection (were there 800 photos just of Karen Gillan?) others have mentioned using cotton gloves for the staff, and I thinks that's a good idea.

If the Friday Night Signing is repeated next year (Preview didn't really describe it), I'm sure it will become almost as popular as the 2 regular days, as a lot of people said it took pressure off the next two days for them, over time it would probably include some photoshoots, producing more pressure on the hardworking staff at the photo desks. Photo processing times maybe need to be looked into, particularly for late afternoon photoshoots

More people meant more noise, and I noticed that the sound-desk was facing a struggle with managing levels for guests and questioners (It looks like there is a quiet period around the middle of the day, could the bands be playing then, as it seemed like they were in the perfect acoustic area of the hall).

I am in the early part of my Convention attending cycle, I want a few big names, but I also look for "quantity", to meet a huge number of my past heroes (catch-up, in other words), but I met a lot of people further on than me, who have been collecting for years, who look for the huge "quality" star, or rare signing. LFCC this year has been perfect for me for that reason, a great mixture.

I've grown to love the Conventions, made by the staff and those on both sides of the desks, I love seeing all the different things that people are in to, even if I am not taking part myself, and checking out the dealers wares. I'd love it to get "bigger" (not necessarily in size, as there will be a limit to how many the hall is legally able to cope with at one time, and also to ventilate properly!), which will be a challenge to accomplish. Were there less crew than usual, or just further spread out with guests?

I think bigger is better but SM incounted problems they didnt expect which was there downfall. In my oppinion they should have gone bigger with the amount of people there it got some what clostaphobic in some areas and my sister kept getting knocked about cause shes small. Great amount of guests (even tho Karens Could have been handled better in my opinion) generally very good.

in my opinion i dont think it was too big at all.i thought it was a fabulous event,and the amount of guests was incredible.i dont think less is more in this case,people want to see more guests,and showmasters certainly pulled out all the stops on this one.i didnt feel that the venue was cramped at all,busy,sure,but sunday was a lot quieter.the whole point of these conventions is that they are "events".they are getting bigger,and i think most fans would agree,better.

and lets not forget,at the end of the day,showmasters is a business,they are there to make money,so of course,bigger is always gonna mean better for them.

so everyones a winner,we get to meet our heroes,and they get paid!...lol

I loved this event being bigger. It offered so much more to me. I met all 13 guests that I wanted, including Karen Gillan, Alex Kingston and Sir Derek Jacobi.

I think if you had trouble doing things at this event then it's probably because you're fairly new to these events. I've been going to cons for 3 years and this is my 2nd LFCC. You just need that experience to get your head round how to go about things. The VQ ticket system is amazing. Allows you to actually experience the event instead of standing in one queue for one person the entire day!

A bit of common sense also doesn't go a miss. When Karen Gillan sells out 800 photoshoots before the event then it is surely an indicator to get there early so you get a good VQ ticket. I got there when the gates opened to outside the venue at 7am and sat in the queue till the doors opened at 9am. I got number 98. If you want them that much then you may have to make the extra effort

I don't think that the event was too big, it was just bigger than what was expected.

I think that the organizers and crew will take this year as a learning curve, so wont underestimate how big the event will be in the future, will be able to cope with it better and so do more of the things that they wanted to do (As outlined by Jason in another topic).

But all in all the crew did a fantastic job, especially considering they did not expect the event to be just as busy as it was.

It was NOT to big, I think it was very very nice! :)

It was one of the highlight of this year for me!

The only thing I might comment on concerning "Too" big... Well the photoshootarea B should perhaps have been located somewhere else, Cause the que there was taking up alot of room.

And second, more VTs :) I think its better to have more of them from start. They are brilliant and should be used more.

I loved it although with so much going on it did become difficult to do everything I originally wanted too.

For me, it was just about the right size. I saw the guests I wanted to, got most of the photoshoots I wanted to though did sacrifice a couple I was thinking of buying on the day to get to certain talks instead and still missed a couple of talks and I know others who had a mad schedule which was very difficult to keep on top of.

If it gets very much bigger there's an increased danger of even more shoots overrunning, lots of clashes etc which can be difficult to manage but i guess we will just have to wait and see what happens and adapt accordingly.

Loved the event this year. There was lots we didnt do like attend many talks but the benefit for me was that Sarah whos 11 could go and do her thing and didnt have to stay with me. There was plenty to keep her occupied when i wanted to look round the stalls or go to a talk or demonstration.

Like others have said if you start curbing the amount of attendees, guests, space etc... how do you ever expect the event and the product of LFCC to expand?

SDCC (you only have to look at wiki) has evolved from hundreds to hundreds of thousands and I presume every event is a learning curve. I think to call an event too big is ridiculous, people have a year in advance to save money, to start planning how they want to approach the event.

With something like LFCC there's the like fairground approach where you run in and go in all the wrong directions and do one thing in one corner then another not utilising time in the most effective way...and now im rambling haha but yeah maybe people should try planning a wee bit better.

If the Friday Night Signing is repeated next year (Preview didn't really describe it), I'm sure it will become almost as popular as the 2 regular days, as a lot of people said it took pressure off the next two days for them, over time it would probably include some photoshoots, producing more pressure on the hardworking staff at the photo desks. Photo processing times maybe need to be looked into, particularly for late afternoon photoshoots

I'm unsure how long the third party printers they use stay open on a Friday night, but I suspect that any Friday night photoshoots may well not be available until Saturday - and presuming that the printers would start work on them until Saturday morning, maybe not until say 11am or even noon Saturday. I don't see that as a problem, but it would be another set of expectations to manage.

I didn't think it was too big at all, it was great. I think I got in there at 9.45 after some rushing on the trains and left at 6.15pm (After awaiting my last photos to be back) and managed to see everyone I wanted (about 10 people), buy stuff at the stalls, get my photoshoots and autographes, get a few drinks at the bar (a painfully pricey experience but well-needed) and meet up with friends throughout the day.

Tiring but I wouldn't say stressful and seeing as it was my first con that was very impressive in my eyes as I'd presumed I'd be a wreck afterwards (well my feet were but that couldn't be helped!)

It'd be nice to have somewhere to rest your legs next time instead of collapsing to the floor with my cider but other than that twas perfect :)

i think the number of people and guests etc was fine, i think the venue was just too small.

if the talks and guests were further away from the stalls etc, maybe that would work.

i know we're in a different place next year so maybe things with improve...

Just to put my 2 cents in:

The first ever con I attended was one of the big ones in the U.S. and I remember someone saying "Wow, be prepared for all other cons to feel small then, this is like the Superbowl on cons." And they're right, especially when compared to UK events, so I actually like that this event was "bigger" (I've not been to LFCC before this year but from what I hear).

I wasn't too interested in any of the "big names" guest wise, I was more there for cosplay fun and I enjoyed the atmosphere of having so many people. Though I do agree more space to get around (and seating to rest your feet when in cosplay shoes!) would probably help. Yes, renting more space costs money but it would be worth it. I know lots of people also get annoyed with the noise from different stages affecting the others but I don't think there's much to be done about that unless the whole show could be moved to a hotel (or 3), like the certain event I went to in the U.S. That way each talk, signing area, dealer area etc, is in a totally separate room, rather than just cordoned off.

I'm not complaining though, I had a great time and I think the bigger the better because as people have said, the U.K. doesn't have the big events the U.S. does and in order to get to that level U.K. events need to expand.