Karen Gillan

When I got there in the queue I was worried we'd end up being in the 800's to see her as it looked massive. Fortunately we had tickets around 350 which I was very happy with.

I thought she was very lovely when I say her. She had time to speak to everyone while signing at what seemed like warp speed! Does anyone else think she has one of the fasted autographs to write down? Yet she still had a smile and greeted everyone etc.

The photoshoot was fun although I was kind of hoping it'd be the whole TARDIS in shot, but that's just me. I did get a bit confuse at the end because I though the photographer said he needed to take another shot since they sometimes do, so stayed there for a few seconds with my arm around Karen looking like a numpty, lol! I think she crew member on the day also thought the same as me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was worried about how Karen would be to be honest, and luckily she was amazing!

It was brief but the chit-chat during the autograph session when she was talking about the items I was getting signed, and the brief fit of giggles she got as the photoshoot started was fun too...I was the first non-crewmember/staff to go through and it just hit her what it was going to be like as she muttered" this is gonna be mad!" to me... a great experience!

Now gotta change my sig!!

Karen Gillan was absolutely brilliant all day! I reciprocated a little wave and a smile from a Karen Gillan cosplayer who later turned out to be Karen Gillan :) I arrived with VQ ticket 71 in the morning and had a quick chat, went through the photoshoot (where she pulled me close to her *dreams do come true*), and ended the day with VQ ticket 1042 - still hyper and talkative!

Karen was lovely - I hope she comes back soon - but I'm rather disappointed with the £100 I spent on autographs. The silver pen was far too thick for my items, meaning beyond sentimental value they aren't the best in my collection.

I'm sure I have a repuation on here for moaning, but I'd never felt the need to actually mention it in person at the helpdesk until yesterday. The results after queuing sooo early, were a let down.

I thought she was absolutely brilliant! Her smile never faltered once over the whole day from what everyone has been saying.

I was in the 1st 20 people to meet her in the morning, she was lovely and smiley, asked how I was then when I replied she noticed my Scottish accent and asked me where abouts i was from etc, told her i knew someone she went to school with and she was surprised and asked me who etc etc...she was great.

The photo shoot was very rushed, but when i walked over the recoginsed me from earlier and said "oh hello again, how's your day?" which i thought was amazing of her, to acknowlege me even thought it was busy!

Her talk was fantastic, she was always smiling, happy to answer everything and she came across as a really lovely person.

Near the end of the day I went back to get another auto and she was notably more rushed than in the morning although was still taking the time to ackowledge and greet everyone. Had a very brief word or two with her when she told me her signing hand would be dead tomorrow and she wouldn't be able to use it!

All in all a brilliant guest. Well worth the price. Just goes to show that no matter how busy a guest is a smile can go a long way :)

If I remember correctly I was 277 VQ.

First and foremost and especially if Karen or indeed any of her representatives are reading this:

"Karen, I've loved watching you in Dr. Who since your very first episode and ever since I've always wanted to meet you, I realised very early on back in May when your appearance was first announced just how busy and manic your time would be at Showmasters and my prediction wasn't far wrong.

It was a truly lovely pleasure to meet you, you were kind, very humble, sweet and EVERYTHING that a Showmaster Guest should be (but with the noticeable exception of no photos, videos etc but thats a given), was nice to shake your hand and to greet and meet you.

Was a true pleasure.

Rich X"

Yes, I realise the chances are slim that Karen may read this but I felt it good etiquette to Write how I felt in an aptly named thread.

She was an absolute trooper. She had to sign fast, understandably, yet was still greeting everyone in the queue with a, "Hi, how are you?" while I was there. 800-odd photos, lord knows how many autos (I heard she gave up her lunch break to sign more) and was still wonderfully entertaining for her talk. I was most impressed.

She was absolutely brilliant. Was lucky enough to get to see her twice and she was obviously trying to be as quick as she could but still had time to welcome everyone and exchange a few words. I think she was a bit overwhelmed by the Q&A/Talk session and the numbers of people wanting to meet her.

I went to get the print we got handed at the talk signed and told her it was enjoyable and she said she'd been very nervous but enjoyed it too once she'd got into it.

Can't say enough good things about her. Even though she was obviously run off her feet there were stories going around today that she didn't even have a proper break to get through everyone. I hope she enjoyed the experience as much.

Very pleased with my photo too even though I was silly enough to leave my gold pass around my neck. For every other shoot I hid it but I was so buzzing about this one I completely forgot. Doesn't spoil it though. A little bit more of the tardis might have been nice but it's a very minor point and nothing to do with Karen.

karen was lovely, so nice, and even at the end of the day after 1200 autograph ppl, 800 photo shoot ppl and a talk for what 800? she was still bouncy, smily, fun, talkative, and I hear she declined a lunch break so to keep signing, I liked her before but she went up miles in stock in my estimation, great guest, very lovely to meet. really hope she can come back soon

however it was all a little rushed, although I understand why. so im not complaining, saying that as I said above she was lovely and made time for everyone even if it was a second, she took note of who was in front of her and smiled said hi ect.

my only complaints would be the pens, I had 4 autos from her, 2 she signed smaller as the space dictated this which was great, they look ok, but she likes to sign quite big sweeping across an image, in these instances, the other 2 of my pics, the pen is very faded especially the silver one. Im not sure if this is the pen being dud or that she presses lightly or both, but doubt ill ever do anything with it now, can hardly see it.

also my first pic along with other ppls i know, I think who were all close to me in the shoot had a slightly off focas shot, which is unheard of for the amazing malcolm, which is a shame, BUT she was so lovely and a brilliant proffesional. what a woman. so happy to of met her,

Karen was wonderful

Having to do so many autographs and photos, yet still managing to smile all the time, and always make sure to greet everybody, that was amazing. She really seemed to enjoy it all, and had a great time as far as I could tell.

And big round of applause to her for giving him her lunch break to make sure as many people as possible got to meet her, what a trooper.

My silver-penned photo from Karen is brilliant: perfectly legible, with no smudges or thinning ink. Maybe she switched after a while?

After such a long day I do have a couple of questions: just what was she on to remain that hyper and happy, and where can I get some? :)

Karen was lovely - I hope she comes back soon - but I'm rather disappointed with the £100 I spent on autographs. The silver pen was far too thick for my items, meaning beyond sentimental value they aren't the best in my collection.

I'm sure I have a repuation on here for moaning, but I'd never felt the need to actually mention it in person at the helpdesk until yesterday. The results after queuing sooo early, were a let down.

Sorry you feel disappointed by that. I'm sure there would be nothing preventing you from taking your own pen in future - one that you know will work fine on your item - and ask the person to use that.

oddly the black pens were the opposite and a little thin, almost like they were running out. Unless she just has a very light touch when writing her name.

Karen Gillan was an absolute star and Showmasters should DEFINITELY get her back again. She was friendly and very talkative, although unfortunately it was just two brief hello's from her to me.

LFCC0006.jpg

Here is the highlight of my weekend (other than being with my GF as well :D)

Showmasters, you would be fools not to have her back again!

Sorry you feel disappointed by that. I'm sure there would be nothing preventing you from taking your own pen in future - one that you know will work fine on your item - and ask the person to use that.

Oh I would have done usually, but I was aware there were 1000 people behind me..

Karen was wonderful - I didn't get an auto as I couldn't afford any autos this year (sadface) - but in the photoshoot she was absolutely lovely and was perfectly happy to give me a hug when I asked. Also, even though it was going at a fast pace it didn't feel rushed, which was a nice change! Her talk was fantastic too, and she seemed like she was genuinely enjoying herself.

This photo totally made my weekend.

meandkaren.jpg

@ MykiiAmore - omg that photo of you with Karen is GORGEOUS! You must be on cloud nine :D

She was smashing. She is prettier by far than Amy Pond, probably because Pond usually looks glum but Karen was the smiliest of people. Very friendly.

And she had perfect diction. I've been to plenty of talks in that place over the years and in general I count myself lucky when I hear half of what the guest says, and luckier still if I have a good enough view to lipread. (The accoustics aren't good there.) Karen has such a lovely clear voice that I heard every word.

@Lizzy88

Cloud 9? Try cloud 99!

This was the person that tipped the scales for me and I decided to get a ticket. But this photo is gorgeous! My girlfriend hates it mind :D

*psst* Do you reckon I'd get away with saying she is my new missus :P

I have met many hundreds of guests over the years at these events, but I have to say, for me, Karen takes the crown. She is, hands down, the loveliest, funniest, most sincere and pleasant guest I have met in my collecting career thus far. Thank you so much Jason and Showmasters for bringing her to us and giving us this wonderful opportunity, please please bring her back soon. Alsoher security lady was not overbearing, which was nice (was she Karens or provided by SM) Also who was the chap with her? Boyfriend or Agent? Either way he seemed like a nice bloke too, and her crew member PA-ing her was lovely.

Karen was one of the, if not then the nicest guest I've ever met. I could tell she wanted to interact with the attendees as much as possible but couldn't for obvious reasons. My only negatives, nothing to do with Karen herself, would be The TARDIS used in the photoshoot and that it felt rushed (for obvious reasons which was fine) but meant I didn't ask for a hug which a lot of my friends didn't either because we felt bad for doing so, to then see that a lot of people got hugs. Apart from this, I would love for you to get her back in a year or so, I know I'd definitely meet her again!

Karen was absolutely amazing really sweet and had quick chat when got my auto so was in a perfect mood for the whole of the day mostly to her. Am still buzzing from it and after I initially met her was shaking as was that great!!!!!!! :)

her crew member PA-ing her was lovely.

YAY! That was me!

Karen had a great time meeting everyone and it's true that she gave up her hour lunch and took a 25 minute break instead so she could meet more of the people that were waiting to see her. She was given a lot of gifts and she took them all with her, she also took the gifts that were given to me during her talk because I passed them on as promised.

As one of the crew looking after her on Saturday, I'd like to thank almost all of the people who came through her autograph queue for being pleasant and just generally brilliant. With the odd exception of a few really rude individuals who got very pushy about photos and other time-consuming requests, most people were amazing and very respectful of the hundreds of people still waiting to meet her. It is partly thanks to you that so many were able to get autographs and EVERYONE who waited to meet her had the chance to get an autograph :thumbup:

It's unfortunate that so many VQ ticket holders had to leave before the end of the show, but by the time she left there was nobody waiting by the booth for an autograph. Yes, it was a quick moving process but we did our best to avoid making it feel too rushed and I tried to make sure that nobody had their item signed without them standing by it.

As for the pens, they were all brand new but Karen kept leaving the lids off so they kept drying out. We went through a dozen silvers and a handful of blacks (you may have seen the Sharpie box on the desk, lol) and I apologise to anyone who got an 'inbetween' autograph. The thicker autographs came from the way she held the pens because the angle of the pen in relation to the desk makes a huge difference to the mark left behind. In Karen's case that angle was quite low (ie, closer to being parallel to the table) and therefore she was writing with the side of the pen rather than the tip and that makes a thicker line. Next time, feel free to bring your own pen. If the crew assisting the guest knows what they're doing, it will make little to no difference in how long it takes to get your item signed and you shouldn't feel bad about holding up the queue with a pen request :smile:

I met Karen at the photoshoot and later for the autograph; she was very friendly and greeted me and my little son with a big smile. At the auto, the chap before me had some 15 photos to get signed which she did very quickly at a steady pace: my son went "wow! She's very quick" and she smiled at him. When she finished and the chap left I said: "congratulations! 15 signatures in 26 seconds!" she said "really?! I did that many?" and she funnily dropped on the table to show her tiredness but I replied "well, I didn't really measured it... let's say more or less 26" and she laughed "oh, good one!". Karen's gestures/smiles/words really generate highly positive appreciations by many fans, although they were produced in just milliseconds.

Pure class. :smile:

Bring her back, please.:thumbup: