bad experiences

Yeah that was something I forgot to mention is that my pics from area C came out much better than the ones from area A, is this a new photographer because he was very good!!??!!

This photographer usually takes event photos at the three day cons and Collectormania, LFCC etc, rather than you+celeb photos. But with the show being so big this year, he was asked to do you+celeb photos, this time. I've got some of both now, and, yes, he's very good :thumbup:

Thanks to both of you, you're very kind.

It was my first time doing photo shoots like this for Showmasters and I really enjoyed taking everyone's photo.

I hope everyone got photos they liked, but if anyone had a negative experience at Photo Area C, please let me know.

Giles

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that was something I forgot to mention is that my pics from area C came out much better than the ones from area A, is this a new photographer because he was very good!!??!!

This photographer usually takes event photos at the three day cons and Collectormania, LFCC etc, rather than you+celeb photos. But with the show being so big this year, he was asked to do you+celeb photos, this time. I've got some of both now, and, yes, he's very good :thumbup:

It was my first time doing photo shoots like this for Showmasters and I really enjoyed taking everyone's photo.

I hope everyone got photos they liked, but if anyone had a negative experience at Photo Area C, please let me know.

Giles

I was wondering who the third photographer would be and was very chuffed for you when I saw it was you! (You took a great snap of my friends and me at Bitten last year.)

Now I have been to many events like this before but felt this one was very poorly organised. Yesterday I had a problem with my photoshoot photo. Spent hours hanging around for it, the tables with the photos on it was a free for all, everyone pushing trying to check if their picture is there. Everyone touching the photos so like another post has said, you got a load of free fingermarks for free with it. There should be a number system, kept safe. Hell even put them in plastic sleeves to protect then, we pay enough for the shoot. I had my Christopher Lambert photoshoot at 1255 yesterday. I did not get my photo till 1710hrs. I kept asking the crew and was told "another 20 mins" or "I don't know". Clearly no communication between crew members.

After finally getting my photo I thought I'll put that behind me, tomorrow is a new day. Unfortunately my talks with hellraiser and Christopher Lloyd/BTTF cast was ruined by a band or something playing very loudly nearby. I could barely hear what they were saying, they could not hear the questions being asked. And I was in the frst two rows. I thought that it was inconsiderate, and very poor management in that the crew did sod all to get the band to shut up or turn the guests mics up.

I enjoyed my two days but unfortunately due these problems i did not enjoy it as much as I should.

along those same lines,i always find it irritating that the sound equipment for the talks is so bad....it never seems to work properly,or be loud enough for the panel to hear the questions.its the same at every event.and they should have a better system for giving out the mics for people asking the questions,its quite a labored process sometimes.

Giles

I thought my pictures from yourself were great thanks, and as it was your first time doing them how did you manage to get all of the models :smile:

Giles

yer your pics were good mate, especially considering the smaller space and the old dim back drop. im sure alot of ppl who come to alot of SM stuff were relieved when it was you as they know you from your party photos ect. I thought it might be you or ciaren (sorry i might of spelled that wrong, apologies)

I was not too bothered by the music as I did not attend the talks but indeed sometimes I was thinking "what the frak?" :thumbup:

In my opinion, this karaoke thing should be removed. I understand you try to get as many new customers as possible but please don't add too many things to the event. I think you did a fantastic job with the line-up and this should be more than enough for the event. You also have some games, anime and cosplay. I think that's enough.

Have to agree on this one. The band (Magnolia Memoir?) wasn't too bad, but it intruded on the talks, and the karaoke was worse. Just... no. Didn't stop me from having a great time, but would prefer that not to happen next year. Still, well done to SM for trying out new things - they might not all work, but most of them do.

Agree with what has been said early about the live band noise interrupting the Talks, not fair on the guests not fair on us. most of the questions the guests could not understand or could not hear them being asked clearly. Next time SM press the mute button on the Live band, or at least tell them to lower the volume to a whisper.

i`m sure marigold memoir will be pleased to hear that.....lol on the plus side,i thought mela lee was gorgeous - i can see big things ahead of her.....so to speak....lol :D

ALL the songs just sounded the same to me, even when I went to sit down and watch her for a bit on Sunday while waiting for my husband!!.

Have music, I'd love some music guests but for the love of god, put them somewhere else and ones that have a different set list!

I had a great time for the first two hours on Saturday, but as it got busier, it became just too chaotic and there was precious little enjoyment to be had from the rest of the experience. In particular, the queuing system for photoshoot B was shambolic, with a large queue for Brent Spiner forming and creating a sizable obstruction, despite Mark Sheppard not yet finished and Charlie Bewley still to come. :huh:

In my opinion, LFCC either needs fewer attendees, a bigger venue or more efficient use of space - there was a large space near the dealers with people sprawled on the ground, and a similarly large area near the cloakroom for people with colouring in books. :blink:

I have no complaints about any of the crew, most of whom did their utmost to be helpful and polite, so far as I could see. :D

It will take a pretty special guest to get me back to LFCC next year; I think I'll stick with the weekend cons in future. They're much more relaxed and enjoyable experiences. :blush:

some of these crew members need to realise they are not god and please speak to us in a polite manner not like a piece of dirt,they are there becasuse we come to the shows and only that reason,i do have some smpathy for all the team but rudeness is not needed in any situation so come on guys ive always enjoyed these shows lets just be a little nicer to each other!

I'm really sorry if you felt that crew were rude and I find it sad that this was felt by dealers and others too. I certainly don't condone rudeness of any form from anyone ever. But I, as a member of crew over the weekend and an attendee for numerous years, find a lot of these comments unfair. I'm sorry to pick on your message as this comment actually relates to a lot of what I've been reading this morning, but your bit about crew only being there because of the attendees struck a cord.

A lot of us work very very hard to make these events run as smoothly as we possibly can - a lot of stuff is out of our control and we do the best we can to ensure all attendees have a good time. This is something we would want when we attend. Unfortunately, not everyone is used to dealing with crazy busy situations or maybe even people - this doesnt excuse it, but sometimes its difficult to deal with situations if you dont have a lot of experience with it and this manifests itself and comes out as rude..

As a member of crew, I do not think I am god and I don't treat people like dirt and there are many others like that who gave up their free time to volunteer for the weekend. You are right that we wouldn't be there with out the attendees, but the show wouldnt be there without the volunteers either.

My back and feet hurt from a weekend of being a human doorstop and I'm beginning to think it was all totally pointless and that I should have spent the weekend in my PJs watching Battlestar Galactica.

:D

• Showmasters Admin

Regarding seating again, I heard there were no chairs in the Gold Pass chill out room? Was this correct?

Also, I swapped three Walter Koenig photo shoots on the Friday, from Saturday to Sunday as they clashed with other photos and talks. I was told it was difficult as it messed up the figures? Luckily I was allowed to swap but it seemed a bit odd, surely if you clearly cross reference on whatever documents you are using there shouldn't be a problem? Obviously though I don't know what you use other than those ticky grid sheets so I may just be talking nonsense! :blink:

i have to reply to this one sorry

if you did not have a gold pass why do you care about this ?

and i can tell you there were chairs in there and the 8 gold pass people i talked to said it was a great place to just get away from the busyness of the show and they all liked it a lot , there was not much in there apart from some space to sit down and chill out a little .

i hope that is of use to you incredible ??

i will reply to some of the other points made in this thread soon

jason :WAVE:

Regarding seating again, I heard there were no chairs in the Gold Pass chill out room? Was this correct?

Also, I swapped three Walter Koenig photo shoots on the Friday, from Saturday to Sunday as they clashed with other photos and talks. I was told it was difficult as it messed up the figures? Luckily I was allowed to swap but it seemed a bit odd, surely if you clearly cross reference on whatever documents you are using there shouldn't be a problem? Obviously though I don't know what you use other than those ticky grid sheets so I may just be talking nonsense! :(

Umm...there was a Gold Pass chill out room? Where????

I was speaking to a guy called Martin from Sweden (another Gold Pass Holder) and he told me about this, but he couldn't find it either.

It's a great idea if that's what happened, but it would have been nice to know where it was!

if you asked a pit boss or at the organisers booth they would tell you we did not want to put it on the map as we did not want people with put go;d pass passes also going in and filling it up as we were short of crew this time to man it , next time please do ask

jason :WAVE:

about the music/band noise issue,couldnt they have used the other space at the back of the hall behind the signing area? there seemed to be quite a lot of space still left there,they could maybe of had a dedicated music stage there.far enough away from the talk areas.actually i felt slightly sorry for the band on sunday,as they had obviously been spoken to after the comments on the saturday,and the ones posted here about being too loud.can`t do much for thier ego as artists to be told to keep the noise down....lol

Haven't had a good look through all these pages yet so these issues may have already been mentioned but this is what I thought.

1. The venue was too small for the amount of people that were let in.

2. On the Sunday I went to 3 talks and really hope that someone gets the sack for having the bright idea to have a band playing whilst these were happening WTF!

3. Clueless staff members allowing people to join the queue stating that the guest would be back from their break after 20 minutes. 50 minutes later still no guest. This happened to me on both the Saturday and Sunday.

The is the first event that I have been generally dissapointed with how it was run, and I've been going for 6 years.

3. Clueless staff members allowing people to join the queue stating that the guest would be back from their break after 20 minutes. 50 minutes later still no guest. This happened to me on both the Saturday and Sunday.

In defence of the crew (of which I am not one), they can only work with what they've been told. If the pit boss or whoever has told them 20 mins, then thats the info they have.

If the guest decides to go have a wander after their lunch, or have an extra coffee or something delaying them further, the assistant with them cant exactly force them to get back to signing "Right that it, you got work to do, so get back out there and sign!"..

Though I bet a few might like the idea of an assistant cracking a whip to boss them around ;):P

I was not too bothered by the music as I did not attend the talks but indeed sometimes I was thinking "what the frak?" :P

In my opinion, this karaoke thing should be removed. I understand you try to get as many new customers as possible but please don't add too many things to the event. I think you did a fantastic job with the line-up and this should be more than enough for the event. You also have some games, anime and cosplay. I think that's enough.

Have to agree on this one. The band (Magnolia Memoir?) wasn't too bad, but it intruded on the talks, and the karaoke was worse. Just... no. Didn't stop me from having a great time, but would prefer that not to happen next year. Still, well done to SM for trying out new things - they might not all work, but most of them do.

This ^^ R.E Karaoke.

Also I was packing away my photo shoot picture into my folder and a crew member rudely told me not to lean on the (empty) table as I would screw up the table cloth (where there were no other pictures on). Erm... what?! No point being petty and saying anything then as I suspect that's what a few people regarding various incidents thought but I found it rude. It was not what she said but how she said it considering there was barely even anyone loitering around then.

Other than that I had a great time. The rest of the crew were great as were the guests. I look forward to attending next year. Well done to the SM team.

I've been going to these events for a long time, even though I'm a relatively new poster.

I think -

1. All photos taken at photo shoots should be either sent by mail or downloadable from a website. Collecting photos on the day is something US cons phased out a long time ago in my experience.

2. Guests who allow fans to take a quick photo are always going to be more popular, but it does hold queues up. However, I think a photo can mean as much if not more than a photo and SM should tell the guests this is how UK fans feel.

3. Bands and talks do not match.

I've been going to these events for a long time, even though I'm a relatively new poster.

I think -

1. All photos taken at photo shoots should be either sent by mail or downloadable from a website. Collecting photos on the day is something US cons phased out a long time ago in my experience.

2. Guests who allow fans to take a quick photo are always going to be more popular, but it does hold queues up. However, I think a photo can mean as much if not more than a photo and SM should tell the guests this is how UK fans feel.

3. Bands and talks do not match.

Time constrictions mean its not always the guests that request no photos (Karen Gillan being a great example)

Edited by Grazer

1) An SM guarantee that photos would be back in the building within 2 hours of them leaving the building with the times of leaving and returning (to the building) clearly displayed on a noticeboard somewhere and if the 2 hour limit (or whatever it is) is broken then if people go to a desk with their ticket stub then they get a refund of (say) 50%. This would restore the faith of many fans in photoshoot returns and I genuinely believe it would ensure SM put every resource into the photoshoot returns

As one of the photorunners for the entire weekend, can I just say that the 2 hour estimation is usually spot-on.

Here's how it breaks down:

Photoshoot ends

Memory cards are backed up and edited to fix certain aspects of the photos

Memory card is taken to the lab

Then loaded into a free machine - we may have to queue for one

Photos are printed

Collection of photos

Audit check of photos to ensure quality

Finally photos get to be distributed

If you can think of a quicker way to get the photos to the fans, please let us know - we are willing to listen to ideas.

Michelle - the Psyclepath

The only real issues I had were...

1. The lack of chairs for seating. I heard so many people tell me that they wished they could just take a break for a few minutes, myself and my wife are included in this. Even when there is a virtual queue in operation the line can sometimes move so slowly that you are stood around for some time. So a designated resting spot would be great. I think it is one thing that the show really does need.

2. I found the path between where the guests at the back of the hall began, and the end of the stalls to be very overcrowded. This seems to happen at all shows here. Crossing the hall to get to a photoshoot took about 5 minutes due to either overlong VT queues stretching out into the aisle, or the usual gawpers who stop to stare at the guests. Is there anyway at all to rectify this? Create an entire closed off guest section of the hall if there's space? Like they do at a certain US SW con? If possible a large regularly updated guest ticket numbers board would be also be very welcome in order to help stop congestion. (or bring in a congestion charge for gawpers lol!)

3. Same thing for alongside the photoshoot area. While it's great to have a mini holding pen and calling people in, in groups of 50, there were loads of people just waiting along the wall waiting for their section to be called. It made the aisles very difficult to get through. Could barriers be put close to the wall at the start of the hall, that then feed down along the wall and into the holding pen, so that people can enter only if their ticket number is correct? Just to clear the aisle a bit?

4. Photoshoot returns have always been a problem. Everyone wants their shot immediately and it's like a scene from Dawn of the Dead as the hungry masses descend upon the tables. Is there anyway to get a high wall rack to display the photos on, similar to the display racks that the comic book dealers have? This way they will be elevated away from the table and high enough for people to see their shot. A crew member could then fetch that shot, and hand it to you, eliminating the 'pawed', greasy mitts photos that people have complained about? Also, for protection, how about slipping the photos into a paper bag? Having a batch ticket given to the attendee, as in past days, could also help locate the shot quicker and move the queues along.

5. Unfortunately my last point is also a moan at the very small amount of rude staff. The majority of the crew are great. Informative, helpful and keep the show running smoothly. That's why when you do get a rude crew member it jars. Luckily I was not affected by this personally this time, but I certainly witnessed it on Saturday. The ones that I'm talking about are the ones on a mini power trip who think that wearing a crew T shirt entitles you to talk to the general public like crap. The ones that shout and holler clearly cannot manage their job, and either need moving away from the public, or shouldn't be in that position.

Aside from that, the show continues to improve.

What has really annoyed me about this is that somethin i paid a lot of money for ( £45, the Delorean photoshoot with Christopher Lloyd) i had to leave without!. Something i pre-booked weeks in advance i left without. I stayed as late as i possibly could which was 4.40, by then only 100 of the delorean shoot photos had come out...the shoot was done at 12.20 or before that because they were preping the area at 12 because i watched them. After 4.40 i had to fill out a form and leave it with a member of staff who didnt ask me for any money and to be honest if she did i would have asked for my £45 back.

I wrote a full and very detailed description of myself and i will be amazed (not in a good way) if my photo takes 5 weeks to arrive. Im really not prepared to wait that long for something tht i pd upfront for.

I also didnt like the member of staff who tried to hurry me out of the photo area ASAP...when i pay £45 for something i xpect to get my moneys worth...not be treated like a 2 year old and told to leve the area quickly when the photo had onloy taken seconds before....it wasnt my fault the shoot was running behind.

The best members of staff on the day in my opinion were the 2 guys running the queues in photo area A...top class job they both did and they were very helpful (didnt catch their names but they both had long hair).

Is there any explanation as to why Christopher Lloyds's autographs barely moved throughout sunday?. Upon entering the con at 11am iwent right to his line for a VQ ticket...i was told that i was number 490!!! and that he was ony up to 1-200...by 4.15/4.30 numbers 1-238 had been called?!?! i travelled over 300 miles for 1 autograph which i didnt get.

If it wasnt for Alex Kingston my day would have been totally ruined...she was excellent

Still not sure what happened to the Robert Knepper photos, even the crew members both blue and red didn't seem to know why there was a delay on them coming back, this is the first time I've ever had to use the post out service and I'm not really sure how it works as someone just thrust a form at me and told me to fill it in, there was no mention of paying anything or how long it would take, does anyone know?????

You should have been asked to pay a postage charge, but as it was apparently really hectic at that point this got missed. But don't worry, you will get a photo.

I'm not sure who's sending the picture out this time, but an update should be posted on here. From other posts someone was told 4 to 5 weeks, but unless you left a really generic description it shouldn't take that long.

Thank you :D

I believe people were just collecting forms, I never saw anyone hand over any money so not sure what's happened there, but thanks for the reply!!!

Right at the end an announcement was made that some photos were not going to be back in time and that if you fill in the form there would be no charge as it would be at SM expense being after closing time. If you filled in the form earlier in the day because you had to leave then there was a charge.

I guess i was lucky as I managed to get my last one when a whole batch more turned up about 5:15

The main problem seems to be the shoots that run late in the day as it barely leaves enough time to get them printed and back. Personally I think it's quite amazing with how many thousand are taken that there are generally very few issues. I'm very happy with all of mine although I prefer the pale mottled background to the darker blue one used in one of the studio areas.

Is there any explanation as to why Christopher Lloyds's autographs barely moved throughout sunday?. Upon entering the con at 11am iwent right to his line for a VQ ticket...i was told that i was number 490!!! and that he was ony up to 1-200...by 4.15/4.30 numbers 1-238 had been called?!?! i travelled over 300 miles for 1 autograph which i didnt get.

The team obviously werent prodding him enough. I have suggested getting cattle prods to get the older guests moving a bit quicker, but apparently this would cause some sort of abuse issue...

What has really annoyed me about this is that somethin i paid a lot of money for ( £45, the Delorean photoshoot with Christopher Lloyd) i had to leave without!. Something i pre-booked weeks in advance i left without. I stayed as late as i possibly could which was 4.40, by then only 100 of the delorean shoot photos had come out...the shoot was done at 12.20 or before that because they were preping the area at 12 because i watched them. After 4.40 i had to fill out a form and leave it with a member of staff who didnt ask me for any money and to be honest if she did i would have asked for my £45 back.

I wrote a full and very detailed description of myself and i will be amazed (not in a good way) if my photo takes 5 weeks to arrive. Im really not prepared to wait that long for something tht i pd upfront for.

I also didnt like the member of staff who tried to hurry me out of the photo area ASAP...when i pay £45 for something i xpect to get my moneys worth...not be treated like a 2 year old and told to leve the area quickly when the photo had onloy taken seconds before....it wasnt my fault the shoot was running behind.

The best members of staff on the day in my opinion were the 2 guys running the queues in photo area A...top class job they both did and they were very helpful (didnt catch their names but they both had long hair).

If it wasnt for Alex Kingston my day would have been totally ruined...she was excellent

The Christopher Lloyd photoshoot actually only started 5 mins late (I was the girl just before the Delorean - getting people to stand on the silver line). But since there were 400 odd tickets sold and a finite amount of time to get them done in the shoot was always going to be that way. It's not particularly fun (for us either, trust me on that. My legs and back ache so much today) but I'm not sure how else it can be done to fit everyone in without spending infinitely more time in the photoshoot. (And the crewmember in question was doing precisely what she'd been briefed to do by the photographer).

As for the autos? Well it's linked to the previous complaint. CL had the Delorean photoshoot, a single photoshoot, I assume a talk (?), and lunch. He's not a young man anymore - it's going to tire him out. Longer in the photoshoots (to get more people through and get the photos they want) means less time signing. There are only a finite number of hours in the day.

The guys you're talking about are Matt and Brian C by the way. :)

The Christopher Lloyd photoshoot actually only started 5 mins late (I was the girl just before the Delorean - getting people to stand on the silver line). But since there were 400 odd tickets sold and a finite amount of time to get them done in the shoot was always going to be that way. It's not particularly fun (for us either, trust me on that. My legs and back ache so much today) but I'm not sure how else it can be done to fit everyone in without spending infinitely more time in the photoshoot. (And the crewmember in question was doing precisely what she'd been briefed to do by the photographer).

As for the autos? Well it's linked to the previous complaint. CL had the Delorean photoshoot, a single photoshoot, I assume a talk (?), and lunch. He's not a young man anymore - it's going to tire him out. Longer in the photoshoots (to get more people through and get the photos they want) means less time signing. There are only a finite number of hours in the day.

The guys you're talking about are Matt and Brian C by the way. :)

The shoot i thought was done brilliantly :) no complaints whatsoever....Matt and Brian were fantastic, cant praise them enough. I understand the member of staff that hurridly me along after the picture was only doing her job but it wasnt so much what she said but her tone that annoyed me.

I was gutted i didnt get his autograph. To travel over 300 miles by car and train costing hundreds of pounds to get there to A.Not Get his autograph and B. To not collect my photo and not leave with either was a huge disappointment. To be fair i did everything i was surposed to. I booked my tickets in advance, arrived on time for entry and my photo shoots and now im reading that i should have been asked to pay the postage on the photo!!

Alex Kingston's photo shoot and autographs were ran like clockwork in my opinion, couldnt fault it...perfect.

I read in this thread that someone even had an early entery ticket and collected a VQ ticket for a Chris Lloyd auto and his number was STILL in the mid 400's! how is that possible?!

Ive noticed, most of the complaints and bad experiences have come from basically customers who havnt got their own way..ie waiting for things, or didnt get to spend as long with a guest they wanted, or didnt get this or that.. :WINCE:

People can be so selfish when not getting their own way, so just have to moan about it. :smile:

A lot of things people are complaining about, to me are completly normal things such as the wait on photoshoots. It happens every year, yet people still want them asap and start kicking up if they cant get it there and then.. :D