bad experiences

This was my 2nd SM event after last winter EMS at Olympia. I attended Sunday only with my Brother, and although it was busy, i'm glad it was not "Saturday" busy. Lots of people when queing was saying "great, no where near as many as yesterday" or "we're so much nearer to the front of the doors than yesterday."

I enjoyed the event, as did my brother. Excellent guests, but just a couple of minor gripes:

Music playing over the talks. Whoever sceduled the live music when a talk(s) was on needs shooting!

Photos. Would it not be at all possible for the photos to be developed on site using the printer/scanner equipment? Given the shear number of people who had just Karen G & Christoher Lloyd photos pre booked would indicate the hugh effort needed to return the photos before closing, let alone everyone else who had photoshoots scheduled in the day.

We left today with no C.Lloyd photo, as they had not been processed in time, but hopefully it will arrive undamaged via the post.

I know the equipement cost's money, but 800 KG photo shoots at £20 each would go someway to purchasing what's need to get a quick turn around. No more travelling across London via Bike and Tube to get the photos back. It could all be done on site and, saving time, effort,money and disapointed/ angry fans

Keep up the good work SM. Lets get Hayden Christensen or Gillian Anderson at the October show. Another big crown puller is a must!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not sure what happened to the Robert Knepper photos, even the crew members both blue and red didn't seem to know why there was a delay on them coming back, this is the first time I've ever had to use the post out service and I'm not really sure how it works as someone just thrust a form at me and told me to fill it in, there was no mention of paying anything or how long it would take, does anyone know?????

You should have been asked to pay a postage charge, but as it was apparently really hectic at that point this got missed. But don't worry, you will get a photo.

I'm not sure who's sending the picture out this time, but an update should be posted on here. From other posts someone was told 4 to 5 weeks, but unless you left a really generic description it shouldn't take that long.

Thank you :D

I believe people were just collecting forms, I never saw anyone hand over any money so not sure what's happened there, but thanks for the reply!!!

The only things I would address for future events is:

More seating (as mentioned before), myself and hubby are not keen "Sit on the floor" people, there was a HUGE space that appeared not used at the back, prehaps an area here?

Maybe a SM stand selling resonably priced water, as (I know we wasn't forced to buy from the outlets but with busy shoots etc, we couldn't leave), we had a brief bite to eat this morning and it cost for 2 of us, £16.40!!

The photo problem seemed to be getting better towards the end but I do agree possibly a board up to say what shoots are back and also, wouldn't it be a good idea to put the photos out next to the different shoot areas they were taken in, to try and stop so many at one time?

But thats the only things, and they arn't major!

Photos. Would it not be at all possible for the photos to be developed on site using the printer/scanner equipment? Given the shear number of people who had just Karen G & Christoher Lloyd photos pre booked would indicate the hugh effort needed to return the photos before closing, let alone everyone else who had photoshoots scheduled in the day.

We left today with no C.Lloyd photo, as they had not been processed in time, but hopefully it will arrive undamaged via the post.

I know the equipement cost's money, but 800 KG photo shoots at £20 each would go someway to purchasing what's need to get a quick turn around. No more travelling across London via Bike and Tube to get the photos back. It could all be done on site and, saving time, effort,money and disapointed/ angry fans

This has been discussed several times but there are reasons why SM don't do it (and having worked events where they do I pray that SM never go down that route).

Problems - when all printers up and die you are seriously screwed. The ones you can buy that are transportable are not that quick - you're talking 1min or so per picture. Boots etc. are much quicker and much better quality.

As for the 800KG photos? How much does SM actually get? I have no idea as to the finances but I'm guessing that some of it is required for: Karen herself, Karen's agent (who I assume gets a percentage of everything), the photographer, the base cost of the photo itself (though this is probably miniscule). By the time you've added in the cost of the extra space rented to have the photoshoots, the security, and the crewmembers (there would have been 5 in each photoshoot) that you need to feed and put up in hotels? I suspect the actual profit for each shot is not high. I have no idea how much those machines would cost but I doubt it goes that far towards it in the end.

I have attended these cons for the last 10 years and always enjoy them.

Due to being made redundant in May I didn't have the money to buy photoshoots but I feel sorry for the people who had probs getting photos back. I did managed to get photos over the table with Jessica and Stanislav but was refused by Corey as he said "I can't as I am doing that shoot tomorrow". He was very sweet though and it was great meeting him.

I can't say enough about SM's events, they are always fun and memorable. My only gripe would be the same as most that the band playing when Corey's talk was on was annoying as we couldn't hear him.

I am sure that all these problems with be addressed by Jason and the gang when they are back, but in all fairness I feel that the good with always outweigh the bad at the events.

Keep smiling :D

Erin

p.s Can SM get David Tennant for next year :wub:

Problems - when all printers up and die you are seriously screwed. The ones you can buy that are transportable are not that quick - you're talking 1min or so per picture. Boots etc. are much quicker and much better quality.

It is enough if one printer breaks down.

Happened to me once at a smaller event with 300 people. I waited almost three hours until they finally managed to get my photo done.

Also I agree on the quality issues. The fading on the photos we get is considerably less noticeable than for the other pictures.

It is enough if one printer breaks down.

Happened to me once at a smaller event with 300 people. I waited almost three hours until they finally managed to get my photo done.

Also I agree on the quality issues. The fading on the photos we get is considerably less noticeable than for the other pictures.

It's a nightmare. My event in question had 700 attendees and only two printers. One went and then the other just couldn't cope and collapsed. And they had no contingency. I suspect that SM will know the other print labs in the area if one goes down from when they were looking for the closest. Or you at least have crew spare to go and find another one.

Mine from those events are definitely fading.

Just an idea for next time.

When people have to fill in the forms to get there photos posted instead of writing a decription of themselves have the person doing the forms have a camera with them to take a quick picture and write the number down on there form.

This should help them sort the photos out quicker, if I had filled out a form and put large bloke with a blue shirt I'm sure there would have been more than one.

Still not sure what happened to the Robert Knepper photos, even the crew members both blue and red didn't seem to know why there was a delay on them coming back, this is the first time I've ever had to use the post out service and I'm not really sure how it works as someone just thrust a form at me and told me to fill it in, there was no mention of paying anything or how long it would take, does anyone know?????

You should have been asked to pay a postage charge, but as it was apparently really hectic at that point this got missed. But don't worry, you will get a photo.

I'm not sure who's sending the picture out this time, but an update should be posted on here. From other posts someone was told 4 to 5 weeks, but unless you left a really generic description it shouldn't take that long.

I believe people were just collecting forms, I never saw anyone hand over any money so not sure what's happened there, but thanks for the reply!!!

Right at the end an announcement was made that some photos were not going to be back in time and that if you fill in the form there would be no charge as it would be at SM expense being after closing time. If you filled in the form earlier in the day because you had to leave then there was a charge.

I guess i was lucky as I managed to get my last one when a whole batch more turned up about 5:15

The main problem seems to be the shoots that run late in the day as it barely leaves enough time to get them printed and back. Personally I think it's quite amazing with how many thousand are taken that there are generally very few issues. I'm very happy with all of mine although I prefer the pale mottled background to the darker blue one used in one of the studio areas.

Edited by Rockstar6662

Right at the end an announcement was made that some photos were not going to be back in time and that if you fill in the form there would be no charge as it would be at SM expense being after closing time. If you filled in the form earlier in the day because you had to leave then there was a charge.

I guess i was lucky as I managed to get my last one when a whole batch more turned up about 5:15

The main problem seems to be the shoots that run late in the day as it barely leaves enough time to get them printed and back. Personally I think it's quite amazing with how many thousand are taken that there are generally very few issues. I'm very happy with all of mine although I prefer the pale mottled background to the darker blue one used in one of the studio areas.

Light Blue background (Photo Area A):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lothario/5923.../in/photostream

Dark Blue background (Photo Area C):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lothario/5923.../in/photostream

I'm just posting these links to illustrate the above point.

only 2 bad thing i can bring up was complete rudeness with no manners. 1 the guy in the black suit watching the side door dealers entrance, once that door was closed, we didnt know as we had access to it all afternoon friday, we walked over and i asked if it was still open, he just batted me away furiously without even answering me, so i had to raise my voice at him saying to at least answer me...he did not. foolish man.

Second was the lady stood bang next to entrance for Alex Kingstons VQ ticket. Very rude, when told to GO AWAY...thought she could have had a better manner. We had dealer passes and was just asking if this was the que for the start to purchase or not. Again, silly foolishness that could be better!

Photos. Would it not be at all possible for the photos to be developed on site using the printer/scanner equipment?...

I know the equipement cost's money, but 800 KG photo shoots at £20 each would go someway to purchasing what's need to get a quick turn around.

This has been discussed several times but there are reasons why SM don't do it (and having worked events where they do I pray that SM never go down that route).

As for the 800KG photos? How much does SM actually get? I have no idea as to the finances but I'm guessing that some of it is required for: Karen herself, Karen's agent (who I assume gets a percentage of everything), the photographer, the base cost of the photo itself (though this is probably miniscule). By the time you've added in the cost of the extra space rented to have the photoshoots, the security, and the crewmembers (there would have been 5 in each photoshoot) that you need to feed and put up in hotels? I suspect the actual profit for each shot is not high. I have no idea how much those machines would cost but I doubt it goes that far towards it in the end.

Those machines tend to get a bit cranky if they get much shaking about; I should imagine that geting loaded and unloaded for a dozen or more events a year would impact on their reliability and life.

As well as the quality being worse, based on the throughput, I did some calculations a few years back as to how many you would need. I think it was five, and that was for far fewer photoshoots. Based on the number of photoshoots this weekend, I'd guess you'd need at least a dozen of them. All with laptops connected, and people operating them. That's another dozen or so crew costs, plus space at the show to put them all. Plus also having to pack spare ink/chemicals and several thousand pieces of paper etc. It's a nightmare in logistics, a significant extra cost, and gives you pretty much no upside over just cycling them down to the local Boots or whatever they do.

Personally, I cant think of any problems with the event, except that awful karioke during the daytimes which at some points I thought a cat was being murdered, and I was no-where even near that stage!!!

So I will reply to some posts :D

I would love to see:

(1) An SM guarantee that photos would be back in the building within 2 hours of them leaving the building with the times of leaving and returning (to the building) clearly displayed on a noticeboard somewhere and if the 2 hour limit (or whatever it is) is broken then if people go to a desk with their ticket stub then they get a refund of (say) 50%. This would restore the faith of many fans in photoshoot returns and I genuinely believe it would ensure SM put every resource into the photoshoot returns

(2) Wherever the photoshoot collection point is then I'd suggest a noticeboard high up behind the desks advising which shots are back, which are en-route, etc. This would stop people trying to fight through a crowd to collect photos which weren't there yet. If it was high enough then folk at the back would see it.

Regarding point 1, as has already been mentioned, they cant guarentee a specific time as printing is done elsewhere, and just think of the sheer volumes printed. So ones like Karen Gillan could take 2-3hrs just to print those photos alone, let alone any other shoots! So any reduction in price im afraid will never happen.

Now for point 2, I think that would be a good idea, BUT..if a board was that high up so everyone could see..how would they write on it?

Wonder what ever happened to the notice boards though for that matter that used to say what number VT's and stuff guests were up too hmm..

IN THE FUTURE, MAKE US AWARE WHICH GUESTS WILL NOT TAKE PHOTOS TO AVOID DISSAPOINTMENT!!!

99% of the time, they will never know until the day, and even then, things might change during the day, but there usually is a sign somewhere if theres no photos.

i dont know what was happening today with photshoots and the schedule. There was a huge delay with Corey Feldman and other photoshoots running late with no explanation given and everyone waiting in a queue. As a result a friend of mine actually missed the Robert Knepper photoshoot and i doubt she will be refunded. Kind of sullied a good day.

If that happens again, and your friend should have done it for this one, find a crew member and tell them you have another photoshoot, and if needed such as in this case, then go for the other shoot (also letting the crew there know if needed), then go back to the first.

Just because you've joined a que you dont have to stay in it.

On another point the tardis was a waste of time, I had about an inch of it in my photo.

In one way I can see your point, as there wasnt much of it at all in the photos, HOWEVER, at least we didnt pay extra for the tardis, unlike the Delorean photos which DID cost extra.

If the tardis has made the shoots more expensive, then yes would have expected more to be in frame, but it didnt, so what we got I think makes a nice background.

Why were certain people allowed to get photos with the guests, even if they had signs saying no photos? I want to know why one person got the photo with Lisa Marie and I didn't?

I wouldnt take it personally. Guests will sometimes do them, sometimes not. For example, Lisa Marie let me take photos OF her (not posed), but then other people with cameras were told no photos at all.

Usually just depends on their mood I expect or other factors which we prob wont ever know (and im not talking about because of photoshoots).

i am now concerned that a majority of guests are no posed photos - fair enough, but please organise the photoshoots to run on time so we can actually do the ones we pay for.

Most of the guests I met were happy to do posed photos,.I was actually rather surprised at how many I got! Havnt had so many for years that I recall!

Of all the shoots I booked/paid for, I think I had posed photos at the desk with all but around 2? Not bad if you ask me.

There was the usual posing for photos issue. On the Friday Brent Spiner was posing with fans, then got told not to so posed on his own and then when i got to the table I asked and he said (with backing vocals from the crew member) that he wasn't allowed to at all! :D Saying that though, photos are a bonus at the table and i only tend to ask judging on how other people are getting on.

When I went up to Brent with a friend who had never met him before, on the friday, we were told I could take photos of my friend and Brent while he was signing (and both in shot), but if she wanted to lean in and pose for a picture, it would cost a further £10 on top of the £20 for the autograph.

Perhaps this was stopped later on, though did seem a bit odd at the time, given a lot of people's cameras might not have worked well in that lighting so couldnt guarentee a decent photo unlike an actual photoshoto.

Needless to say, my friend didnt opt into the 'lean in' option!

When we got in, I asked at the information desk about the free autographs & was told to go to the back of the hall!! I had no idea who was free/how many guests you could meet for free....so was confused about the whole thing.

It was advertised on the forums for at least a week I think before the event? And the website too I believe? And you clearly have forum and internet access?

I haven't read all this thread, but I'm sure that this would have been mentioned. The Only bad thing I can say is the live music....... What bright spark thought that was a good idea? The acoustics in the hall are terrible so as a result I sat in two talks not being able to hear a thing! Was a joke tbh, the guests couldn't even hear the questions. If I had paid for a talk and that had happened I would have complained there and then! But still why put on talks if no one can hear a thing?

it was my first time so I dont have anything to really moan about but I think the space wasn't used well. Obviously the hall is bigger than what was shown on the map so why not use it. I was stood in Camille Coduri's queue and everyone just wanted to walk through it instead of walking in the big gap behind the queue.

Maybe everything from the signing area could be moved back more or have the signing tables running down the walls on either side of the hall.

I walked past the Harry Potter props twice before I noticed that they were there and didnt even notice the deloren until late on (but I wasn't really looking for that)

I didn't get an auto off Lisa Marie but I did see her doing the posed photo but that person was the only one in her queue at the time.

I was the only one in her queue as well but maybe she preferred that guy than everyone else who she met. If I'm not mistaken, he was a bald guy right?

Just seen on someones facebook pictures a posed photo with Lisa Marie

Don't know about anyone else, but I never understood a single tannoy announcement at all!

It was quite annoying when my friends and I were sitting around just waiting for photos, and announcements were made, and we would all look at each other and say "what did they say?"

We had no idea what was going on, or if we'd missed anything important!

This was my 2nd SM event after last winter EMS at Olympia. I attended Sunday only with my Brother, and although it was busy, i'm glad it was not "Saturday" busy. Lots of people when queing was saying "great, no where near as many as yesterday" or "we're so much nearer to the front of the doors than yesterday."

I enjoyed the event, as did my brother. Excellent guests, but just a couple of minor gripes:

Music playing over the talks. Whoever sceduled the live music when a talk(s) was on needs shooting!

Keep up the good work SM. Lets get Hayden Christensen or Gillian Anderson at the October show. Another big crown puller is a must!

I hope SM NEVER get a printer for the photoshoots, if you're one of the unlucky ones just as the ink starts to run out, the pic looks really faded. Also, if the ink hasn't bonded properly to the paper, and you want to get it signed, not even a sharpie pen will dry, and you've then got a poor quality photo.

Only 2 real moans from me ..

1) one of the female members os staff at the photshoot sales desk was very rude, I always like to remember that if I expect someone to be polite to me then I should be polite to them, if you get rude and shout in my face then please expect the same in return :YAHOO:

2) as has already been said the terrible music .... I had my 4 year old daughter with me and she at one point said "Daddy someone is in pain" :)

Apart from that it was a great weekend and I am still on a high, my daughter has gone off to nursery to tell her friends that she has Amy Pond & River Songs autographs ... she is one very happy little girl.

Thanks to everyone involved!

I only attend on Saturday & couldn't afford to meet all the guests I wanted to due

to financial reasons, but I do have a few moans about the event.

1. I pre-booked an early bird ticket which meant joining the end of the queue right

around the back of the venue. I think it took at least 30 mins to get inside. Yet those

who chose to buy the early bird ticket on the day, had a shorter queue & were inside

quicker. Most of the people in the queue near me were all in agreement that this was

unfair. What's the point in buying the ticket early online if it meant entry was later

than those buying on the day?

2. I feel the venue was too small. There was nowhere to sit and it was very claustrophobic.

I actually became worried when I saw there was still huge queues outside still being let in

despite this. It took about 10 mins for me to get from one side of the hall to the other due

to the crowds. I don't know whether there was any aircon in the building, but it certainly

didn't feel like it.

3. Collecting my photo shoot pictures was by far the worst experience of the day. I've been

to SM events before where it was better organised. This time however crowds of people

were just standing there several people deep & not letting anyone see if their photos had

arrived. In the past the crew had moved people on, but not this time. It was a nightmare.

I think the main problem with this event, was the lack of space which meant that there was

no room for anything to be organised properly. At one point I sat on a dirty carpeted area

to have my lunch because there was no seating, but almost got trodden on by a fan who had

tried to step over me to get past. I really hope that SM organises the next LFCC better. The

guests were ok, but the venue was too small, there was nowhere to sit & the crew didn't look

like they knew what to do.

Yeah that was something I forgot to mention is that my pics from area C came out much better than the ones from area A, is this a new photographer because he was very good!!??!!

This photographer usually takes event photos at the three day cons and Collectormania, LFCC etc, rather than you+celeb photos. But with the show being so big this year, he was asked to do you+celeb photos, this time. I've got some of both now, and, yes, he's very good :YAHOO:

I was not too bothered by the music as I did not attend the talks but indeed sometimes I was thinking "what the frak?" :WINCE:

In my opinion, this karaoke thing should be removed. I understand you try to get as many new customers as possible but please don't add too many things to the event. I think you did a fantastic job with the line-up and this should be more than enough for the event. You also have some games, anime and cosplay. I think that's enough.

Agree with what has been said early about the live band noise interrupting the Talks, not fair on the guests not fair on us. most of the questions the guests could not understand or could not hear them being asked clearly. Next time SM press the mute button on the Live band, or at least tell them to lower the volume to a whisper.