Disappointed with photo-distribution's grubby mitts!

It was far too manic at the end of yesterday to give this feedback to anyone at SM, so I'm putting it here as I'm sure some other people will be slightly miffed in the same way that I am.

The two photographers I saw at LFCC were fantastic and I have no complaints about the pictures taken. I had a couple of photoshoots on Saturday and the pictures are amazing (I rarely, rarely like pictures of myself, even less so with celebrities, so bravo on that front!). What I am disappointed about, is that my Karen Gillan picture has been returned covered in the greasy, sweaty fingerprints of the SM photo-distribution crew!

I understand that photo-distribution is busy and that the photographs need to be moved to make more space and picked up to hand to people, but a lot more care could be used than I witnessed yesterday. While stuck in the press of people yesterday evening, unable to escape, I witnessed SM crew moving photos around the table by putting their fore and middle fingers smack in the centre of the photo and pushing them along the table! Another crew member was holding a stack of photos like they were scrap paper - with their thumb right over Karen's face in the top picture, and then proceeded to pick up photos putting their fingers all over the print rather than the edge. Nearly every picture I saw while looking for my own had at least one (and in most cases, many more!) grubby fingerprints on them!

Really, SM this is more than a bit not on! I wouldn't mind so much if I were able to get a reprint from the jpeg, but as has been discussed on here that option isn't currently a possibility. This is my only copy of the photo and I take care to protect all the photos I get - I bring protective wallets and a hard backed folder to keep them safe on the journey home. After having paid £25 for my Karen photograph I do not appreciate receiving it with dirty fingerprints on it that aren't my own! It certainly takes the shine - both literal and metaphorical - off the photo! I would expect the crew to handle the photos with a little more care and respect!

However, I would like to add that this was not all SM crew on photo-distribution. The photo I collected from the second collection area (what had been Photo Area A) was in perfect condition, and the crew I saw in this area were treating the photos with much more care.

I think it's a bit of a shame that I ended the day with this, seeing as I had a fantastic time and the crew were as a rule, amazing!

In fairness at 5pm last night it was getting crazy with the amount of people trying to get their photos. I collected mine and they were fine. I found the staff to be very helpful, the only thing I would have suggested which they sort of did toward the end was to put a board up saying what stage the photos were at, as I'm sure they must have been sorry bored of being asked the same question over and over

My Karen Gillan pic was covered in greasy fingerprints, which I tried to polish off. Many remained, so I asked for a reprint, which I got. Thanks to the pit boss on photo area A for sorting that out.

The pic itself is slightly out of focus on my face (nothing to do with the printing), but that's a whole other issue.

Edited by MinkyKnights

I mentioned this very problem in another thread so won't retell it all here, except to say that you definitely have a point.

Showmasters need to completley rethink the way they do photos, i had to leave at 5.30pm to get my train and therefore did'nt manage to get my Robert Knepper or Corey Feldman photos. I have left my details for them to be posted but am worried that these will end up lost, they also said it could be 5 weeks before i receive them.In the meantime they have probably been sitting on the table today getting all sort of fingerprints on them. :D

Also before selling 800 tickets for one shoot (Karen's) they should think about how they are going to distribute them when they come back, having a one sided table with hundreds of people all trying to get there photo was wrong in my opinion.

All i am hoping is that Showmasters post me my photos recorded delivery in a reasonable time frame.

However, I would like to add that this was not all SM crew on photo-distribution. The photo I collected from the second collection area (what had been Photo Area A) was in perfect condition, and the crew I saw in this area were treating the photos with much more care.

I wouldn't say this is true. I was waiting at Photo Area A for the majority of my pictures, and I saw the crew flicking through the pictures, holding the pile with their whole hand, and there was a danger of some of them getting bent. It didn't happen to my pictures, but a person I was with was concerned it would happen.

I'm really sorry, it seems things got pretty manic yesterday indeed.

I've worked photo distribution only once myself, but out pit boss made a point out of telling us to treat the photos with utmost care and not do what some attendees have witnessed this time. I've sometimes even seen gloves used.

If your picture does have damages please e-mail SM at info@showmastersonline.com and they will be happy to send you a reprint.

Showmasters need to completley rethink the way they do photos, i had to leave at 5.30pm to get my train and therefore did'nt manage to get my Robert Knepper or Corey Feldman photos. I have left my details for them to be posted but am worried that these will end up lost, they also said it could be 5 weeks before i receive them.In the meantime they have probably been sitting on the table today getting all sort of fingerprints on them. :D

Also before selling 800 tickets for one shoot (Karen's) they should think about how they are going to distribute them when they come back, having a one sided table with hundreds of people all trying to get there photo was wrong in my opinion.

All i am hoping is that Showmasters post me my photos recorded delivery in a reasonable time frame.

Don't worry, you will get your picture. A friend of mine had hers lost in the mail once (we're in Germany though, within the UK it is much easier) and they re-send another copy.

It should also not need 5 weeks. The crew usually matches up any shoots possible during the event already. The crew member that told you 5 weeks was probably being cautious. We do get some excited fans asking on Tuesday after the show "why isn't my picture here yet?" from time to time, and they probably didn't want you to worry.

Totally agree the photoshoot pick up was badly organised and the people there were rude (the public (attendees NOT the staff) and some just kept pushing in, or just stood there not looking for their pics. My photo with Corey Feldman was missing, then noticed it shoved in under the next pile (diff guest) corner bent and loads of fingerprints on it! Not nice when you pay money for it. Not showmaster's fault but I wish people would show more respect and manners and not just take someone else's photo and treat it as some obviously did with mine and as I can gather from here others too. :D

I mentioned this very problem in another thread so won't retell it all here, except to say that you definitely have a point.

Showmasters need to completley rethink the way they do photos, i had to leave at 5.30pm to get my train and therefore did'nt manage to get my Robert Knepper or Corey Feldman photos. I have left my details for them to be posted but am worried that these will end up lost, they also said it could be 5 weeks before i receive them.In the meantime they have probably been sitting on the table today getting all sort of fingerprints on them. ;)

Same for me. I left without my Christopher Lambert photo. I'm worried that i may not receive it, how long it gets left on the table while other prople maul it, what condition is it gonna arrive in, if it's even me in the photo and then the 4 to 5 weeks delivery time. £30 i paid for that photo so it better arrive in good nick !!! :thumbup:

Same for me. I left without my Christopher Lambert photo. I'm worried that i may not receive it, how long it gets left on the table while other prople maul it, what condition is it gonna arrive in, if it's even me in the photo and then the 4 to 5 weeks delivery time. £30 i paid for that photo so it better arrive in good nick !!! :thumbup:

If there should be a problem e-mail as I have explained above. You will get a reprint.

One of my prints (cant remember which as I had so many done) actually has a WHOLE HAND PRINT on it. Hoping it will clean off when I finally get home..

I have to say though that my Derek Jacobi print just vanished on the Saturday, so on Sunday morning, the lovely girl in photoshoot A re-printed it for me, so thank you for that!!!

Edited by keithporter23

If your picture does have damages please e-mail SM at info@showmastersonline.com and they will be happy to send you a reprint.

Does 'damages' include the photo being completely covered in finger prints? As I'd love a clean copy of my photo with Karen :)

Does 'damages' include the photo being completely covered in finger prints? As I'd love a clean copy of my photo with Karen :)

I am not making any promises. But if those prints are really that bad that you can't simply wipe them off (I have always been able to do that with one of those soft clothes for my glasses) then try e-mailing.

I can't speak for other crew members but I only touch photos by the edges. But what I will point out is that this is why we ask (or we do when I'm on photo distribution!) attendees not to grab their own photos. Because you may get yours out without fingerprints but you'll probably mark several by the side of it.

Working photo distribution with angry attendees can be hell. And there's no easy way to do it. We tried setting up a queue and walking the attendees round (several years back - at C13) but I had two attendees shout because they didn't want to queue again to pick up their photos.

Not sure you can win!

I can't speak for other crew members but I only touch photos by the edges. But what I will point out is that this is why we ask (or we do when I'm on photo distribution!) attendees not to grab their own photos. Because you may get yours out without fingerprints but you'll probably mark several by the side of it.

I was stuck in the mad crush of people for about five to ten minutes and I can honestly say, I wish all SM crew were the same and only touched the corner's. I know that you can only ask attendees not to touch the photos so much and I'm sure not all photo damage is the result of the crew, but from what I saw it when I was there it wasn't the attendees. I watched in a sort of horror as one crew member condensed a section of Karen's photos to make more room on the table by pushing them along with two fingers in the centre of each photograph. That was instantly 50+ photo's marked in the centre area with fingerprints.

As I said, I appreciate that it was busy, but if the crew don't have the time to treat the photographs careful then maybe they should be wearing gloves - as someone above suggested - allowing them to move and touch the photos however they need to, without damaging them.

I have to say I'm really pleased with all my photos, given the hellish rugby scrum that it became they have all come out unscathed, I just hope that my Robert Knepper one when it's posted is just as in tact!!!!

Plus everyone was very helpful with my many many questions, even if they were frazzled they were still polite although one young lad I tried to speak to was a bit away with the fairies bless him!!!!!

Same for me. I left without my Christopher Lambert photo. I'm worried that i may not receive it, how long it gets left on the table while other prople maul it, what condition is it gonna arrive in, if it's even me in the photo and then the 4 to 5 weeks delivery time. £30 i paid for that photo so it better arrive in good nick !!! :D

The last batches of photos tonight including Robert and Corey were not on the tables for long at all and were packed away carefully from the event tonight individually per guest to help with the identification process that will follow. I'm sure the crew in charge of distribution will keep you informed as soon as possible, but please do be aware that Sportsmania is next weekend.