Christopher Lloyd

Edited by QS:

Sorry, but I can not let this post stand.

If you do not like how a crew member reacted please do leave the details about the organisers booth, or e-mail Showmasters at info@showmastersonline.com after the show. Those posts will be read and dealt with.

But name calling and general rude comments because you do not agree with how a crew member acted are not appropriate on here.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

He was very nice and friendly when I met him today, smiled, asked me a few questions and he had a giggle at the Uncle Fester picture I'd brought for him to sign and was happy signing my BTTF poster as well . Shook my hand as I left and greeted me with a hello and a how are you when I had the DeLorean photo shoot later on.

Very happy to of met him. :)

we were third from the front and he went awol for about half hour, then returned! We met him about 5pm on Saturday and didn't say anything (actually he may have asked how my boys were) and he shook both there hands and my husbands, my husband came away a little disappointed, I said maybe he was tired, and he had his pic to look forward to the next day.

Sunday: he kneeled down next to him as requested and the photographer said to wait while he cleaned his glasses as they were steamed up, my husband said "I have that effect on people" to Christopher and he just grunted, he then tired again while he grabbed a drink, again he grunted, for a £45.00 birthday present from me to him, I felt really low that it went so crap, but then he read on the way home, that Christopher is incredibly shy and doesn't do cons very often, so he doesn't feel as bad now.

Ok so I was majorly disappointed not to actually get any autos from Christopher due to the time constraints etc but I do feel slightly at fault as I now realise I should have done it on the Saturday rather than chance it on Sunday especially when I saw how many people there were for the Delorean photo but..........

I have to say during the very brief maybe 10-15 seconds I met him in that photo shoot he was nothing but polite and actually said Hi to me first, and actually laughed with me when I joked about it being a long way down to kneel near the car!!!!

Note to self if EVER he comes again I shall make his autos a priority!!!!! :YAHOO:

Queen Sindel

apologises for my instant recation but that does annoy me when people are in all honesty nobody special talking to nice peeps like that.

Would she had said that to certain other actors who will tell you where to go Jump

I doubt it and I dont know who this lady was , if she had said this to CL

Queen Sindel

apologises for my instant recation but that does annoy me when people are in all honesty nobody special talking to nice peeps like that.

Would she had said that to certain other actors who will tell you where to go Jump

I doubt it and I dont know who this lady was , if she had said this to CL

No problem, we all sometimes say things in the first heat of the moment that shouldn't be said.

As I have said before, even if you don't know the name and have witnessed an incident like this please let the office know if you can't inform the pit boss of the area, the Organisers Booth or maybe TooTall on the day. Even a "blonde girl handing out tickets for guest ABC at 10 AM" is usually enough to identify the crew member in question.

I met Christopher at just after 12 on the Saturday I was ticket number 100 I said thanks I have always wanted to meet you Mr Lloyd I put my hand out he actually put his hand out to shake mine back but sadly he signed my Star Trek III photo right in the top left hand corner so if I frame it I'll lose most of the signature!

I have to add to this thread as I felt the same but thought it was just me being sensitive. I brought my son to meet him in 2008 my son was only 2 but "Doc" was a bigger name than Santa in our house then! I was 8 months pregnant and it was not easy to get there and queue but with help from staff my son had his photo with him. Mr Lloyd was full of smiles and chatted with him and even quoted "great scott!" to him!

Later we took a photo up for his autograph and he again chatted happily and my son threw his little tiny delorean toy up on the counter at him and he laughed and tried to sign it ending up with limited space just initialling it.

This year we booked the same, a photo and an auto, at the photo he was smiling and lifted my son for the photo (now a hefty 5yr old!) but was very quiet and when I took him with a larger delorean to sign this year I said we had been in 2008 and what happened and I just got an "oh really?" and that was it! He seemed very distracted and automated this time around whereas last time he really appeared to be enjoying it :D

Right i've now had a day to mull over my feelings about meeting Chris as if I had done this last night I would have been in an incoherent angry/upset/embraced mess.

Firstly lets get a couple things clear, i'm not a big autograph collector, I meet the celebrities that had an extremely large impact on me as a child and a young adult because they helped me get to a Film & TV career i'm in today. Usually I'll get one of my possessions like a DVD or a prop signed and they will then sit on my shelf. With Chris I wanted a picture signed and dedicated to frame on my wall as one of the first films I remember watching as a child was BTTF2. So obviously when I heard he was attending there was quite a lot of excitement on my part to finally meet him.

Me and my girlfriend bought early bird tickets and arrived at earls court at 8:30 to a massive cue, we didn't get inside until around 9:20 where by the time we had reached his stall the ticket stubs were already at 423/424 for me and my other half. I was not due to meet anyone else that day apart from a Doctor Who guest and my girlfriend only wanted to meet Lloyd. So began the long and sitting on the floor for five minutes until we were asked to move set up that was the rest of our day. By the time it had reached 4:00 they were still only up to 380 on the tickets which was making me slightly nervous. At times I would go up to the staff in charge of the line and ask for any ideas he would have on when the line would get to X number and he brushed me aside simply asking me to move out of the way (thanks by the way).

Slowly the numbers hit 410, we were only 13/14 places away!!! We waited around the line and suddenly it hit! "Seeing tickets 1-500!" We rushed in que eager to meet him and suddenly we hear the words both of us were dreading. "NO MORE PERSONALISED SIGNINGS FROM THIS POINT ONWARDS"

My heart sank as as I have already mentioned that all I wanted was a framed dedicated picture. "At least I'm still getting the picture signed!" I thought, I moved on and went to the line of pictures. My heart sank again, I had previously looked at the line earlier in the day and saw some fairly good pictures however when I finally had a chance to pick all I saw in front of my were a selection of extremely poor resolution BTTF pictures of Star Trek III pictures (which I had no intention of getting!). I was shocked at how low quality some of these images were and I would think that for £25 the people looking for images could have gone to the little google search bar when they were looking for images and clicked "Image Size: Large".

"At least I'm still meeting him…" I thought, it soon became clear that even that would be tainted, before I had even reached the table the staff member sitting next to him had taken my photo and was putting it in line to be signed like a conveyer belt. I told my story of how I was 12 names off and how all I wanted was for this to be dedicated but she wouldn't budge (she was very sympathetic however I can see why she couldn't give in as otherwise she would have to for everyone). My goal for a framed picture as I imagined was going out of the window fast and I was getting quite upset.

Finally I had my chance to speak to him, I reached out my hand and shook his saying how much of am impact he had on my childhood and thanked him for it all, he seemed sincerely grateful and I'm glad I met him however as others have said a majority of the time he was looking away and signing other peoples pictures in the conveyer belt (not his fault by any means he had obviously been told how things were about to go from onwards). I know its corny and as I said earlier extremely embracing but I was getting a bit teary eyed at how badly/quickly it had all gone so I took that as my que to leave before I got a bit more….emotional.

Looking back on it all I was angry at the staff and the way the day was executed. During the time me and my girlfriend were waiting and slowly watching as the counter hit our number I was consoling both of us by saying "well if he's only at that number he's taking his time with people so it will be more worth it when we meet him". 13 numbers off. All I'm saying. I was upset at the little amount of images I had to work with seconds before I met him and embarrassed at myself for getting that upset at the whole thing.

For a convention that I am already loosing a high amount of hope in after the last few years and utter lack of A list comic guests I think I could be done with LFCC. I'll have to think about it more.

I felt the same so I am sorry you didn't get the experience you wanted. However I met him when he came back from lunch just after 2pm and it was no personalisations then. So I don't think you would have got one personalised if you had been under 400. Still it was great to meet the legend that is Doc :D

I was ticket number 100 so was optimistic about meeting him...it happened about 11.30ish...the cre member handed him the Star Trek III photo...he signed it..straight after he did so I said Mr Lloyd thank you so good to meet you at last! I offered my hand he actually put his pen down so we could shake hands smiled and said thank you.....when I looked at my photo he had unfortunately signed it right in the top left hand corner so if I frame it most of the signature will be hidden sadly...oh how I wish he had signed it in the middle but considering I never got to meet him in 2008 and some did not get to meet him this year overall my experince was GOOD!

Even though I didn't meet Christopher Lloyd I hate to hear fans go away with a bad experience, it's every fans worst nightmare when meeting a 'hero' who has made some impact on them.

I remember when William Shatner and Patrick Stewart attended Showmasters events a few years back and the general consensus on the forums was they that were both terrible. No conversation, no looking at fans, total conveyor belt etc etc. Shatner came away looking very bad and I'm sure many fans treated both with trepidation when they both returned to MK and LFCC last year (I know I did). Thankfully I can say both guests proved to be really good and NOTHING like their previous feedback - it was a pleasure to meet both actors.

It seems there has now been a bit of a reversal with Christopher Lloyd after the stellar feedback when he last attended, but given the examples mentioned above they have helped me realise that you just can't take anything for granted when it comes to guests. Christopher clearly was a good guest so what happened this time? Tiredness? Personal problems? Or was he just having a bad day? It happens. Plus he's getting on a bit!

Looking at the glass half full, at least he turned up (again) for both days, took part in a cool photoshoot and lots of fans still got to meet him.

I met him about 2ish, and was quickly rushed through the queue so I had to quickly grab what I thought was the best BTTF 10x8. Infact I spied a much better one but by this time I was getting beckoned forward by crew so had no time to change.

I didn't think Lloyd ever did personalisations, I didn't get one that's for sure.

I appreciate that Christopher is obviously older and his name takes a little longer to sign than others, but I got the impression that he'd been chatty with people earlier in the day and then as it got later he was rushed through because by late afternoon he'd barely passed the 350 mark. I saw no 'No personalisation' sign, but I wasn't even allowed to have my name - not sure if others did?

Lea was absolutely amazing to chat to - she kept asking me about my disabilities and wishing me well etc which was really sweet. Really interesting lady, even when I went in for the photoshoot. Everybody there that I had the chance to meet was chatty, even when they had a big queue. I wasn't able to get Christopher Lambert or Karen Gillan (where the heck was her table? I couldn't find it...) autos so I don't know what they were like, but Mr Lloyd's encounter was (regardless of its awesomeness) the least fun and most frustrating.

Karen and Clive Barker were both in separate areas at the back of the hall. On Sunday, Alex Kingston was in the same place that Karen had been on Saturday.

Without prejudice and just my humble opnion:

I know it can be dissapointing when you meet a star and they aint what you expect but they are only human

Christopher is an older gentleman now and was always very shy

i think we have to appreichate age and condition, overall health and life style before we go "bitching" about how crap they made us feel, the only one in charge of your feelings is you its up to you to make the experience posative for yourself

yes we all know and most of the "stars " also know without us they'd be nothing but then again without them we'd have nothing to love and no reason for the shows in the first place we need each other and should respect each other the same way

as i say just my opnion

i personally had a great show and a fab time i didnt meet christpoher personally but i was happy to be able to see him in person and when he even glanced over and saw me in my own awe of him he smiled at me :)

I am fully aware of the factors, as I said when I started this thread. Yes, I know he's not young. I know he he had tonnes of stuff to sign. I just wanted to know if other people had the same expereince, or thought the same. It wasn't even a complaint - just me wondering if he was the same with others.

Obviously there are some who think the same as me, and there are some who saw a completely different, freindly side to him. Unfortunately, I didn't, but don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to meet him. My signed photo has been framed and will be treasured! I think I was just taken by the fantastic previous feedback I had seen on the forum, which obviously hightened my expectations.

Maybe there's a lesson here: you have to meet guests for yourself to make your own judgement, rather than going by how people who have met them before rate them. I'm just saying, I wouldn't pay another £25 to meet him again is all.

Well... I think he was nice! :)

I am dissapointed though that I didnt get my autograph personalised, I stood in que before his photoshoot to get my autograph, they said he had time before his photoshoot... but then suddenly the just said no more signings for now. (I understand this, but still.... ) After that I didnt have time to get back to him until much much later, by then there were no personalised autographs.

My experience was a good one allover though, he was nice and friendly to me on the photoshoot and later at the signing. :)

Didn't get to meet Christopher Lloyd but did have a chat with Lea Thompson, she was fantastic :)

I went to Chrisopter Lloyds booth to check on the queue at about 12.30 Saturday (I had to go at 1) and as I had VQ ticket 441 I gave it to someone else, I hope they had better luck than me :)

As soon as I saw how popular a guest he was going to be I had already anticipated that there wouldn't be much of chance to chat with him. So I was expecting that.

I was a little disappointed at 'no personalisations' for autos by the time I go through (can't remember my number now but it was quite late on the Sunday). But I wasn't too disheartened as he is someone I wanted to meet. he was friendly in the Photo shoot so I was happy with that.

When I did get my auto he was eating. I don't mind as I can guess it had been a really long day for him. He did nod and make eye contact when I thanked him. To me that is fine as it acknowledges my presence as a fan. I have met celebs who didn't even look at you when signing (Billy Dee Williams' was one).

Yes, for £25 I would have much preferred the personalisation but in the end I got to meet him, have my photo with him and get an auto. I was happy with that.

I do feel for those who were hoping for more. I am bummed for you guys.

From the sounds of things I wished I had met Lea. She sounds brilliant.

Edited by Legolassie Malfoy

Well, I can only say that there is an awful lot of ungrateful moaning going on on this thread.

I don't know what people were expecting from this event, and from Mr. Lloyd especially. There are several things that all have to be taken into consideration and despite many here saying that they have...they have, in fact, not done any such thing. Several problems can be addressed very easily.

A realistic outlook is the first vital factor. With this in place, the rest are all much easier to achieve, like...

1) I would never get through the door of an event at 9.30 and expect to see a major star like Mr Lloyd any time before noon because that is unrealistic.

2) I would never say that I have arrived early to find a huge que, because that demonstrates that I had done no such thing...conversely, arriving at Earls Court 2 before the ground staff have even unlocked the main gates so that you are in the first 20 at the entrance door...now THAT'S getting there early.

3) When it is a star as big as Lloyd (or Kingston, Sizemore, Spiner, Knepper, Gillan, Shatner, Lambert, Nimoy, Bakula, Stewart et al) are you seriously expecting it to be anything less that slightly 'conveyor belt' at some point in the day? Do you think that this factor is going to be better or worse at nearer the close of the day, when there are still 200 people left in the VT que, to get signed?

These are just a few thoughts and observations we have come to in our years of event attendance, and we by no means have it perfected, not at all! Others may find them useful.

As soon as I saw how popular a guest he was going to be I had already anticipated that there wouldn't be much of chance to chat with him. So I was expecting that.

I was a little disappointed at 'no personalisations' for autos by the time I go through (can't remember my number now but it was quite late on the Sunday). But I wasn't too disheartened as he is someone I wanted to meet. he was friendly in the Photo shoot so I was happy with that.

When I did get my auto he was eating. I don't mind as I can guess it had been a really long day for him. He did nod and make eye contact when I thanked him. To me that is fine as it acknowledges my presence as a fan. I have met celebs who didn't even look at you when signing (Billy Dee Williams' was one).

Yes, for £25 I would have much preferred the personalisation but in the end I got to meet him, have my photo with him and get an auto. I was happy with that.

I do feel for those who were hoping for more. I am bummed for you guys.

From the sounds of things I wished I had met Lea. She sounds brilliant.

A pretty realistic attitude. Don't forget he's not getting any younger and maybe he finds it difficult to write so much for long periods. He certainly took his time when signing my items but I've ended up with a lovely clear signature and he was fine with me on a personal level.

Sure you're not going to have a conversation with someone that busy but I exchanged a few words and he thanked me for my comments and I shook his hand plus he was welcoming in the photoshoots I had and I came away very happy with the overall experience.

Personalisation is nice but isn't always practical, in fact I assumed he wouldn't be doing it at all so a little gutted I didn't meet him earlier in the day if he was doing it but no matter, a great opportunity was gievn to us and I'm not about to complain about it.

And yes, Lea was absolutely lovely. Really chatty and great fun, especially the way she grabbed me in the photoshoot ^_^

Edited by Rockstar6662

Well I didnt meet him or have his autograph, but I do remember seeing him walk to the photoshoot and he seemed to be in pain, and I'd say he either has a bad back or hip. I suspect he was quite distracted by this and may account for some of the impressions people have of meeting him. When my back goes out, I cant even stand up sometimes, and he had to do some long days leaning over photos and such to sign for you all.

I am sure he is not entirely to blame.

To be honest I was kind of expecting him to be quiet. I remember a Wogan interview he did when BTTF III came out - he was on with Mary Steenburgen - and he barely said a word there either! But it was experience of seeing him in the flesh that mattered and I got that.

I remember that very same interview, and i expected him to be quiet and shy when i met him, and he was. I would of liked more but i understand that he's just not that kind of man in real life and i wasn't let down, it was great to meet him.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

aware this is an old post, but have to say I cant really hold anything against CL for these experiences.

so many people complaining here had clearly gotten their hopes way too high. what did you think you were going to get? someone that big was always going to be that price, and a conveyor belt. i wouldnt usually pay 25 for a convention signature, but that was the only way i would ever meet CL as he is getting on, and is a cult figure to those of us who grew up with bttf, roger rabbit etc. when i got to him i chose one sentence to say to him. something about bttf being a big part of my childhood. he said thanks and shook my hand and gave a genuine smile.

thats enough for me. i went in expecting a "hi" then conveyor belt out of there, but i got to say my peice and was acknowledged by him. so i came way feeling like id gotten more than i expected.

i think the key here is having the right expectations based on the celebrity youre meeting and the situation. if its a convention and theyre a big star, you know the deal when you go. you are part of a que of people all there for the same thing. this is different to meeting an actor on set, or backstage at a concert or something like that where you are in a situation to stand and chat or have a drink. luckily some SM guests are free to talk briefly, or even for ten - 20 minutes if they have a break in their que. but thats a bonus and not a right. you are promised an autograph for your money - nothing else is promised. anything else is down to the luck of the day.

i think you have to weigh it up based on what you want. i didnt bother with david tennant because it was too pricey, and not the situation i wanted to meet him in. but thats ME. i weighed up the situation and thought "ill pass on that one thanks" as i would want too much from meeting him and would only be dissapointed at a conveyor belt, no personalisations situation. thats my preference and im not about to complain if a thousand people do want to que up and do it. the fact is though not every price/guest/situation that conventions offer is ideal, organisers like SM have given you and me a chance of at least saying hello to some of my farourite performers. its up to you if you take them up on it.

my advice is if you go to meet a specific person, dont build it up in your head. dont go in wanting the perfect moment. i have met some truly A list actors and musicians in all different situations, and every time go in expecting nothing, and if you do get the perfect moment great. if you get anything positive from meeting them, its been a sucess!