Who was the secret Star Wars alter guest?

Havok

The secret guests rather backfired as some of thought it might

The High Alter guest was Henry Roberts. As someone thankfully teased he was in a Dr Who story, so I had the DVD on me.

However, he also told me he was in other film franchise - Harvey Potta, or something like that.

So had people known, he could have signed a few items for people who liked that. I think there were a few at the event.

I never noticed the Yarvin Controller, so I don't know if he went.

However, its the mystery guest C, that really annoys me. Turns out that was Martyn Read. He has a rather prominent role in an episode of Doctor Who - he's someone I recognised just from his name - and I'd really been wanting to meet him again, since his story came out on DVD a year ago.

But how could I meet him again being a 'First time world signer'? Well he really wasn't, given that Tenth Planet had him at an event a few years ago. Not that I knew he was in Star Wars at the time. We even had a chat about the Tenth Planet event today.

So being someone I had in my autograph collection, but not on my DVD, he'd been on the wishlist for a while. Yet no good to me here.

The secret guests rather backfired as some of thought it might

The High Alter guest was Henry Roberts. As someone thankfully teased he was in a Dr Who story, so I had the DVD on me.

However, he also told me he was in other film franchise - Harvey Potta, or something like that.

So had people known, he could have signed a few items for people who liked that. I think there were a few at the event.

However, its the mystery guest C, that really annoys me. Turns out that was Martyn Read. He has a rather prominent role in an episode of Doctor Who - he's someone I recognised just from his name - and I'd really been wanting to meet him again, since his story came out on DVD a year ago.

But how could I meet him again being a 'First time world signer'? Well he really wasn't, given that Tenth Planet had him at an event a few years ago. Not that I knew he was in Star Wars at the time. We even had a chat about the Tenth Planet event today.

So being someone I had in my autograph collection, but not on my DVD, he'd been on the wishlist for a while. Yet no good to me here.

It's all about the SM ego methinks...

I checked with Jason who found someone in the know and they confirmed that the Yavin controller had pulled out on Friday, though it was the first Jason had heard of it.

• Moderators

That was me, and it was not the first Jason had heard of it. I told him the moment I arrived at the event early on Friday afternoon, but quite understandably he had forgotten by Sunday, rather a lot on his mind!

Hopefully he will be back for a future show.

no idea lol i like the way they just have a random storm trooper..... its like just having an extra turn up at the show lmao

Not really a random stormtrooper, didn't I read somewhere that the guy had a speaking part.

Fon

Edited by FON

• Moderators

Yes, both Michael O'Hagan and Martyn Read had speaking parts as Stormtroopers, very different from one of the background extras.

As for the comments about Martyn not being a first timer, this was the first time he has been announced in connection with his Star Wars work. That information came through the Kurtz/Joiner Archive and Showmasters have every right to want the exclusive on that information. Sadly they have been forced to go to extra lengths to protect that exclusive.

As to the Doctor Who point, that was a genuine oversight and I'm sure steps will be taken to stop a repeat.

no idea lol i like the way they just have a random storm trooper..... its like just having an extra turn up at the show lmao

We've done alright for extras over the last few years. If people didn't want them no organiser would book them.

As I said to Michael Leader, my Stormtrooper page was rather absent without him!

Incidentally Martyn did ask if I was the someone who'd just sent him loads of bits in the post to sign, so despite the secrecy effort someone else may have tracked him down anyway. But not me, or I'd have taken the DVD on the off chance.

Will they be invited back now we know who they are? Got more money to spend on them :unsure:

...As for the comments about Martyn not being a first timer, this was the first time he has been announced in connection with his Star Wars work....

Seriously?

Well now...that is just a cheap get out isn't it?

As I recall, we had the same situation with Dennis Lawson, who was recently a "world first time signer"...apart from the charity event he'd attended a week or so before, but that did not count because it was for 'charity'.

If a person is described as a first time signer...I damned well know what that means to me, as does everyone else. It means that this person has NEVER been to a convention or signing event, of ANY KIND EVER, before this occasion. To say that it his 'first time' announced in connection with his STAR WARS work is a flat cop out!

That's the same as having Christopher Lloyd back next year and claiming it as HIS first time because it is being announced as related to his "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest Work"

Ludicrous indeed.

If we are going to call people 'first time signers' let's get it to mean what it actually says, shall we?

• Moderators

I'm going to presume you're not a Star Wars collector and so don't understand what I was getting at, so I will try to explain for you.

It is nothing at all like your Christopher Lloyd example. Lloyd is credited and indeed well known for his Cuckoo's Nest work, plenty of people will have already had him sign items from that film.

Until the weekend, the information that Martyn was in Star Wars, and indeed the part he played, had never been public knowledge. That info was discovered in the Kurtz/Joiner archive. So while he may have done a Dr. Who signing before, he would not have signed any Star Wars items at that event because at the time nobody knew he was in it.

He was announced as a Star Wars guest for Star Wars fans. In the Star Wars world he was a first time signer. This has happened many times before, for instance when it was discovered that Deep Roy played Yoda in a number of scenes. Or when Paul Jerricho (another Dr. Who alumni) was discovered to have been in ESB. He had done Who signings before, but none of the Star Wars collectors cared at the time because they did not know he was in it. To us he was a totally new name, appearances for other roles were irrelevant.

As for the Denis Lawson thing, Denis refused to sign items relating to Star Wars for a period of 10 years or more. Whether for charity or otherwise, the rule was no Star Wars. Having him show up to a Star Wars signing was certainly a first (and probably only) time signing, and a massive deal in the world of Star Wars collecting.

He was announced as a Star Wars guest for Star Wars fans. In the Star Wars world he was a first time signer.

Right that's what I thought, namely everything that I said was right...that he was not really a first time signer in the way that the whole rest of the world thinks...

Just because no one knew he'd been in STAR WARS (and even had a line or two) does not make him a first time signer of any kind by announcing it regarding his SW stuff, as he had already signed elsewhere for other things...he'd already popped his 'first time' cherry.

I can actually see the point that you are trying to make, but you are making what the phrase actually means fit in with your wishes/perceptions as to what you think it means.

"First Time Signer" means just that...that they have never signed anywhere before, ever, with regard to anything. My comparison with the Chris Lloyd example stands, but let's change the film to AIRPORT (1970 - yes he was in it, but not even named in the credits) as it actually makes my point a little better.

A first time signer regarding a person's unknown STAR WARS work is a contradiction in itself.

You cannot, in the same way, announce Chris Lloyd as a "first time signer" regarding his work on AIRPORT for the AIRPORT movie 'fans' out there...as it is patently ridiculous!

And you are quite wrong...I am a STAR WARS collector and I have been since I was 13 years old (some 34 years ago!).

What you're doing may mean something to the more obsessed STAR WARS fans, but it is not presenting the actual, factual information correctly.

Edited by SlippDigby

Or when Paul Jerricho (another Dr. Who alumni) was discovered to have been in ESB. He had done Who signings before, but none of the Star Wars collectors cared at the time because they did not know he was in it. To us he was a totally new name, appearances for other roles were irrelevant.

Was he labeled as a first time signer though?

Has Stuart Fell ever done a signing for Star Wars?

It was billed as his first ever UK signing event. However, here is the message Jason posted with the most recent Star Wars guests:

"we find the name out of a rare guest, we track them down, then talk them into attending a event , and then we arrange for the guest to come to there first event , but as soon as we let you all know about the new first time signer and then one person finds it funny to use the name of the guest that was not know to anyone before we have done all this work to then go off to track them down and do a privet signing some times not even paying the guest for the work and then offer the autographs on ebay and out on forums and to other collects weeks before we have the chance to bring them to a nice show and for them to meet the real collectors and fans"

Perhaps this is a case in point?

"we find the name out of a rare guest, we track them down, then talk them into attending a event , and then we arrange for the guest to come to there first event , but as soon as we let you all know about the new first time signer and then one person finds it funny to use the name of the guest that was not know to anyone before we have done all this work to then go off to track them down and do a privet signing some times not even paying the guest for the work and then offer the autographs on ebay and out on forums and to other collects weeks before we have the chance to bring them to a nice show and for them to meet the real collectors and fans"

Perhaps this is a case in point?

As I said though, Martyn said someone had written to him with loads of stuff recently anyway. But that could of been a coincidence, just on his Dr Who role. It's a much larger role than the mere IMDB credit would suggest. Half of his part is one of the first deleted scenes that got released on extended video.

I can understand Jason's argument, but its still flawed- 'real collectors and fans' and would have other things, know other credits. Saying on the Monday would have given no time for anyone to snipe them.

Surely the number of Harry Potter items Henry Roberts could have signed to a paying audience would have outweighed any lost to eBay? I'm not really sure who won here.

I have to say that if I had known him to be in Harry Potter I would have gotten Henry Roberts' auto. Now, as I thought him "just another SW guest" (and I mean absolutely no offence in that, I love SW, just not into collecting SW autos), I didn't even look at his table.

Sorry , what...Denis Lawson doesnt sign Star Wars items?????????????????????????????

who enforces that when he turns up to conventions, showmasters, or does he have a huge bodyguard to snap little kids action figures and stomp on the pieces...

Sorry , what...Denis Lawson doesnt sign Star Wars items?????????????????????????????
Dennis was a first time signer at Collectormania London last year, and he did sign Star Wars items at that. Previous to that event he had refused to do it.

Dennis was a first time signer at Collectormania London last year, and he did sign Star Wars items at that. Previous to that event he had refused to do it.

What part of that contradiction is eluding you? To me it is very simple...

Mr. Lawson cannot then be both the one thing and - in the same sentence I might add - the other by having done the other at a 'previous' event.

It is well reported - Even by members of this forum - that he'd already done a charity signing event a couple of weeks before CML...

So exactly how is that being anything like a first time signer? Are we still using the ridiculous "It's his 'first' because he now signs STAR WARS items" infantile logic?

Some people really need to go and read a dictionary.

Is it too much to ask, that if a person has signed at an event before..but NOT for a specific TV/film franchise, it needs to be expressed as such, ie...

"Dick Scratcher has done signing events before, but NEVER for his KISS MY CAMEL work!"

Good grief, it's not hard, nor is it a quiz!

Edited by SlippDigby

I don't think anyone can argue getting Dennis to the event last year was still quite a major coup. Regardless of if he had signed SW for charity, it was still his first commercial heavily promoted signing.

Of course if Jason could persuade Leslie Scofield back at some point it could be advertised as his first signing in xx years. Still be a very welcome name to see back.

What part of that contradiction is eluding you? To me it is very simple...

Mr. Lawson cannot then be both the one thing and - in the same sentence I might add - the other by having done the other at a 'previous' event.

I find it very easy, use Karen Gillan as an example because I am a big Doctor Who fan, she may have refused to sign Doctor Who pictures or items that she either got through the post or when she met people on the street, but LFCC was her first time at a signing event. 1of2 never said previous event, you just added that word, maybe accidentally or on purpose because it suited your response. Either way, what 1of2 said can very easily be correct.

I find it very easy, use Karen Gillan as an example because I am a big Doctor Who fan, she may have refused to sign Doctor Who pictures or items that she either got through the post or when she met people on the street, but LFCC was her first time at a signing event. 1of2 never said previous event, you just added that word, maybe accidentally or on purpose because it suited your response. Either way, what 1of2 said can very easily be correct.

Far from it, she's a good gal when it comes to thru the post, signing at screenings, promotional store signings, or publicity appearances. LFCC was her first commercial event where she was appearing purely to sign and meet people, it was far from her first public signing appearance.

Well, I'm bowing out here because people are clearly (and, I suspect, bordering on deliberately) refusing to see a very obvious point.

A first time signer cannot be described as such if they have signed somewhere else before, regardless of which film/franchise/TV series it is relating too.

End of.

Edited by SlippDigby

I assume "a first-time Star Wars signer" would be OK by you?

Well despite the obviously intended sarcasm, TommyT actually has hit it bang on. As it turns out, this would be perfect as it describes all the relevant factors. It shows clearly that a person has signed before, but also is a first timer regarding the appropriate franchise. You can just as easily swap out "STAR WARS" for anything else that has a fan following.

Thank you TommyT, you nailed it. Now if we can just get SM to start using it.... :blush:

Also "Thank You" to Terrahawk, the only other person that actually seemed to 'get it'.

Edited by SlippDigby