Explanation please...

I was Guest Assistant Saturday with the lovely Sandahl Bergman who was more than happy to have photos, luckily we were on the end of a row as she got up and went round the front of the desk for everyone!

However I can tell you that there were guests that I myself saw telling the GA's that they didn't want photos with certain people (couldn't tell you why) or sometimes just didn't feel like it, if they fancied it at the time they'd just say yes and do it but if they didn't they'd say "Oh it's up to my assistant" who'd then do the bad work and say "no sorry"

Crew are 100000% never ever told not to allow photos at the desk because of a photoshoot. Maybe some guests use this as an "excuse" to say no? They don't want to seem like the bad guys. The only times that NO PHOTOS signs are up is if the guest/agent has requested it, or time does not permit photos.

If this is the case, then it would solve a lot of problems if the guest/agent were honest with the attendees and just stated on the sign "no photos at the request of the guest/agent". I can see this itself could cause issues in itself, but I for one would have respect for a guest and respect the request and not ask. This would also cut-down (not stop as there are always some) the amount of people who complain to Showmasters each time!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it was HP Fans (sorry have not seen this issue mentioned elsewhere) and others too, two girls showed me pics with at least 20 guests they had just walked up to and asked them for photos WITH them but not paid an autograph for any of them as they told me. Let's wait and see as you said what the feedback on this is.

Not a problem, the forum gets always crazy after LFACC, easy to overlook a post. Just wanted to make sure it was the same people. The HP fans definitely caught the eye of others too.

If this is the case, then it would solve a lot of problems if the guest/agent were honest with the attendees and just stated on the sign "no photos at the request of the guest/agent". I can see this itself could cause issues in itself, but I for one would have respect for a guest and respect the request and not ask. This would also cut-down (not stop as there are always some) the amount of people who complain to Showmasters each time!

For us this is probably the easy solution. But I guess the agent goes into "OMG bad press!" mode.

Hi there,

Firstly, I gotta say that I love these events, having met some of my childhood heroes thanks to the great job you guys do. There is however one thing that I have to gripe about. Not being allowed to take photo's of certain guests, even when they have no photoshoot scheduled for that day. Your staff were trying to stop not only myself, but many other 'fans' from taking just a shot of (for example... Ashley Laurence) as if their lives depended on it. I'm interested to know whether this happens because said guests ask for you guys to stop people from taking photo's, or whether it comes from you guys yourselves. We spend a great deal of money at these events, and I think its a little rude to be honest. I can understand if the guests are hugely popular, those guests usually have photo shoots each day anyways, but when its someone less popular, or not so busy at that time, I cannot see the harm. It bugged me, because of not being able to make the event for both the days, and the lack of respect at fans like me travelling accross country to get here spending good cash. As I say, I love these events, and the great job that you organsers do. There are just little touches that would make it that little more special.

In her defence, Ashley Lawrence had cancelled her photoshoot plus the grouped Hellraiser photoshoot because she doesn't like cameras with flash.

Yes it was HP Fans (sorry have not seen this issue mentioned elsewhere) and others too, two girls showed me pics with at least 20 guests they had just walked up to and asked them for photos WITH them but not paid an autograph for any of them as they told me. Let's wait and see as you said what the feedback on this is.

Not a problem, the forum gets always crazy after LFACC, easy to overlook a post. Just wanted to make sure it was the same people. The HP fans definitely caught the eye of others too.

I mentionned it yesterday. Again today: my friend was getting a Star Wars autograph not far from Devon Murray. A girl asked Devon for a pic and left. That bmakes me angry that these people are getting a picture without even buying an autograph, and then queuing and taking time from people who really want autographs etc.

• Moderators

Hi there,

Firstly, I gotta say that I love these events, having met some of my childhood heroes thanks to the great job you guys do. There is however one thing that I have to gripe about. Not being allowed to take photo's of certain guests, even when they have no photoshoot scheduled for that day. Your staff were trying to stop not only myself, but many other 'fans' from taking just a shot of (for example... Ashley Laurence) as if their lives depended on it. I'm interested to know whether this happens because said guests ask for you guys to stop people from taking photo's, or whether it comes from you guys yourselves. We spend a great deal of money at these events, and I think its a little rude to be honest. I can understand if the guests are hugely popular, those guests usually have photo shoots each day anyways, but when its someone less popular, or not so busy at that time, I cannot see the harm. It bugged me, because of not being able to make the event for both the days, and the lack of respect at fans like me travelling accross country to get here spending good cash. As I say, I love these events, and the great job that you organsers do. There are just little touches that would make it that little more special.

In her defence, Ashley Lawrence had cancelled her photoshoot plus the grouped Hellraiser photoshoot because she doesn't like cameras with flash.

I was crewing for a guest near her today and heard the full explanation for why ALL flash photography was being strictly prohibited in that area and I really don't blame her, as the flashes must have been causing her a lot of eye pain. All photography of Ashley herself was stopped as a precaution against inadvertent flashes from people who don't know how (or didn't listen when asked) to turn their flash off.

i don't agree with people saying "we should be allowed to take pictures from afar, we've paid lots of money to attend" etc (i can't copy/paste, i'm using a phone!) i really do find it rude and slightly impersonal. I work in a touristy part of London and often get customers taking pictures of us as we work, they find our company logo and uniform appealing, it seems. Its not nice seeing camera flashes go off all the time. Also some people have medical conditions triggered by lights etc, not just guests but crew and people standing in the queue-another reason not to take sly pictures.

Maybe i'm old fashioned but i really do find it rude. My other half had the same problem too when he was cosplaying, people running up to him, taking a picture and running away. He had 34 people in total politely ask for a pic and he was more than happy to oblige but got really annoyed with the sly ones!

i don't agree with people saying "we should be allowed to take pictures from afar, we've paid lots of money to attend" etc (i can't copy/paste, i'm using a phone!) i really do find it rude and slightly impersonal. I work in a touristy part of London and often get customers taking pictures of us as we work, they find our company logo and uniform appealing, it seems. Its not nice seeing camera flashes go off all the time. Also some people have medical conditions triggered by lights etc, not just guests but crew and people standing in the queue-another reason not to take sly pictures.

Maybe i'm old fashioned but i really do find it rude. My other half had the same problem too when he was cosplaying, people running up to him, taking a picture and running away. He had 34 people in total politely ask for a pic and he was more than happy to oblige but got really annoyed with the sly ones!

I wasnt using a flash. In fact I hardly saw any flashes from people taking photies from nearby. I think people realise not to use flashes in these situations. And as I said - its been fine in previous shows just not this one.

Also - would have been nice to be told politely rather than shouted at. :|

I agree on events like this it should be allowed taking photos. Some Americans got photos with everyone for free because they travelled far and just walked up and asked.... then you see some people getting shouted at for just taking a photo stood near the table.

I think on an event like this were eveyone leaves as much money as they possibly can, but it is impossible to pay for every single guest, you should be allowed taking pictures OFF them. I understand that if you want a photo WITH them you should purchase an autograph or photo session but I can't see the harm of taking pics off the guests really.

It is not really good for the events to have a "no photos" rule, it is kinda ironic and hypocritical in a way as well attending a convention to meet and greet fans then not allowing photos when people pay good money for this.

Just my two cents....

As I said in a previous thread - I don't think anyone should have photos taken at the table - its annoying when you spend money on photoshoots and then see people having photos at the desk.

See now usually the "NO posed photo signs" ect are posted on the back wall and i saw none of these. One by nat on her table which makes things difficult but I did have to ask several members of staff if guests were posing, pics just signing on none. Some staff in blue shirts had no clue and I had to ask the guests themselves.

I wasnt using a flash. In fact I hardly saw any flashes from people taking photies from nearby. I think people realise not to use flashes in these situations. And as I said - its been fine in previous shows just not this one.

Also - would have been nice to be told politely rather than shouted at. :|

I do apologize for the shouting part, of course no one should be shouted at.

The problem is that even if you are the responsible one who has really actually turned off the flash you are paying for the 20 others in front of you who genuinely forgot or just ignored the request.

Ashley Laurence has a medical condition that results in temporary blindness if subjected to flash photography. This is the reason why in her case there was no photography allowed and no photoshoot. Guests around her were also asked to ensure no flash was used near her.

To be honest, for the majority of situations, photography at the table is down to the guests and/or agents. Showmasters organisers and crew have very little say in the matter.

I hope SM isn't telling people no photos at the table because of photoshoots.

I saw Mark had nobody in his line at several points. I wouldn't be there on the day of his shoot and I prefer over the table shots sometimes to be honest. But sure, if dem da rules. Dem da rules.

Ashley did come to the photoshoot. A few different attempts were made using darker glasses and less flash but it was still causing her discomfort. It wasn't a dislike - she's recovering from eye surgery after an accident. And sadly, a lot of people were not turning the flash off as requested. So there was a lot of shouting at attendees for causing the guest physical pain.

Ashley did come to the photoshoot. A few different attempts were made using darker glasses and less flash but it was still causing her discomfort. It wasn't a dislike - she's recovering from eye surgery after an accident. And sadly, a lot of people were not turning the flash off as requested. So there was a lot of shouting at attendees for causing the guest physical pain.

She cancelled the Hellraiser group shoot, and was very apologetic to me when I went to get her auto after I said I was looking forward to it later on. Very lovely lady, she explained the reason why and said she'd be there in spirit lol. :)

Asked Mark Sheppard for a photo, who politely said no and then he asked his crew member why the sign wasn't up/isn't there a sign up. I felt a bit guilty (never ask if there's a sign) but he was fine about it and mentioned he had a photo shoot later on (I'd ran out of money though!)

Edited by chimmykins

I had my big camera with me today but even with my compact I always make a point of turning the flash off and saying so if I have to hand it to a crew member. This happened on friday with Veronica Cartwright. Both she and the crew member thanked me for doing so.

I always check for the signs and if it says "no posed" I will sometimes ask for just taking one of the person sat down which has been fine but otherwise I keep an eye on what those in front are doing but fully respect the sign if it says no photos.

Waiting for Alex this morning a lady in a red shirt (sorry I don't know her name but I've seen her at every event I've been to for years) came in explained that they were going to try and allow photos (of her sat down) and personalisation and see how things went. Obviously with the delay in her arriving that changed to no photos but she was personalising at least near the beginning.

Maybe it's just me but I don't have a problem with any of this. I've taken photos of and with people who have photoshoots and I've simply never asked if the sign is up and have never been refused when I have asked. I've said it before but for me it's about meeting the guest and getting the autograph. Anything else is a bonus.

However there may possibly be a need for some clarity around all the crew members as if what people are saying is correct, there do seem to be different reasons or different rules being quoted by different people.

My whole reason for going was to meet Joel Gretsch as I am a massive Taken and V fan.

He was lovely, got a photo shot with him both days and a table picture with him yesterday. Decided to get an auto today when he was open queue and really quiet so went up and a 'NO POSED PHOTOS' sign was there despite the fact that he was doing pictures at the table on Saturday when it was crazy busy and not when he was quiet. It seemed really odd especially as he seemed ok about taking pictures in general. I asked him if i could take a nice candid shot of him and he said yes - as he remembered me from the shoots and yesterday but the crew person for no apparent reason said no pictures with him, even though at that point I hadn't or wasn't going to ask as the sign was visible on his table.

To me these days the desk photos are a happy bonus not an expected thing, if there is a sign saying no posed photos it doesn't bother me I just don't ask, but I was a little confused by why the signs were on the desks not the walls, did this mean we could take the photos until the guest got fed up and then put the sign up or something else???????

I did get Stanislav and Charlie Bewley over the desk though and they were both fantastic!!!! :D

Edited by ericsdonor

To me these days the desk photos are a happy bonus not an expected thing, if there is a sign saying no posed photos it doesn't bother me I just don't ask, but I was a little confused by why the signs were on the desks not the walls, did this mean we could take the photos until the guest got fed up and then put the sign up or something else???????

I did get Stanislav and Charlie Bewley over the desk though and they were both fantastic!!!! :D

I always treat them as a bonus now - I know i'll never get another picture of me and Elijah Wood at the desk again - but this weekend sometimes it all just seemed a bit strange. Fair enough if the guests didn't want pics but why not on the quieter day?

With Nat on Saturday. She was doing posed photos in the Morning but was so unexpectidly busy we had to stop them as it was taking so long and we would have not got through everyone (cause of the talk, photoshoot and her lunch too). We did encourage people to take photos of her signing and to come back at the end of the day and get a posed photo when it was quieter...although it never got quieter she tried to see as many people at the end as she could, but people wanting autographs had to take priority and come to the front of the queue.

i asked Lisa Marie, who wasnt busy at all, if i could have a pic with her, she asked her assistant, who said no,

i would have thought it was up to Lisa Marie, i guess it was because of the paid photoshoots,

not complaining cos i still got to meet her :D

I had a similar experience with her, as she had a sign saying "no POSED photos" I asked if I could take a photo OF her (which is usually OK). She shifted awkwardly and turned to her assistant and just sort of pleaded with her with her eyes to tell me no. I've no problem with her not wanting a photo, but the way she did it felt rude to me although I didn't show it at the time.

She wasn't one of the guests I went to, but I think what you perceived as rude was her actually trying not to be rude. If she really didn't want a picture, she probably felt if she said no, you'd go away not wanting to be a fan of her. However, if she could "pass the buck" so to speak to her assistant, she wouldn't come across as the bad guy.

I know what you're saying, but if you'd have been there you probably would form the same opinion as me. It wasn't what she did but the way she did it. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt but I'll have to put her down with Rick Yune as the only 2 truly disappointing meets I've had in 7 years.

You people are mad Lisa Marie was a lovely and charming guest, hope to see her back one year!

It seems to be getting worse, I remember the first few MK events I attended and I honestly can't remember a single time I was refused a photo. Now if I ask, the crew next to them act as if I have just asked to take them home!

It does seem that on the majority of occasions, the star is willing but the crew say no because they want everyone to buy a photoshoot which I think it is incrediably unfair and rather selfish. Not everyone can afford a autograph AND a photoshoot, not after entry costs and travel aswell, we ain't made of it! I'm not saying this is the case but it does seem weird how they always turn to the crew member and seem hesistant to give an answer.