Explanation please...

Hi there,

Firstly, I gotta say that I love these events, having met some of my childhood heroes thanks to the great job you guys do. There is however one thing that I have to gripe about. Not being allowed to take photo's of certain guests, even when they have no photoshoot scheduled for that day. Your staff were trying to stop not only myself, but many other 'fans' from taking just a shot of (for example... Ashley Laurence) as if their lives depended on it. I'm interested to know whether this happens because said guests ask for you guys to stop people from taking photo's, or whether it comes from you guys yourselves. We spend a great deal of money at these events, and I think its a little rude to be honest. I can understand if the guests are hugely popular, those guests usually have photo shoots each day anyways, but when its someone less popular, or not so busy at that time, I cannot see the harm. It bugged me, because of not being able to make the event for both the days, and the lack of respect at fans like me travelling accross country to get here spending good cash. As I say, I love these events, and the great job that you organsers do. There are just little touches that would make it that little more special.

Edited by QS to add subtitle

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What annoyed me was I went to see Joel, was told at a table inchs from him that photos were fine. There was just me there, girl beside him said no photos! Even though Joel seemed okay with it, she reminded him no photos. He was lovely though <3

SM do try to encourage guests to allow photos over the table. It is down to the guest and their agent whether or not they are allowed. The only time SM stop photos are if the guest is insanely popular eg Karen Gillan or some other form of time constraint

i did notice a couple of times crew members shouting "no flash photography!" (sometimes rudely)across at people on the saturday. To be fair, yes there was a sign up around the Christopher Lambert/ Robert Knepper auto table but the word flash was covered with a post it note. Plus i`m sure there were many people there from other countries who cold not speak English so the request for no flash was probably lost on them, especially over the sound of everybody else talking at the same time. Also some cameras are cheap and cheerful, on mine you can switch flash off but it will just switch on again next time you take a picture. I wasn`t one of the people taking pics BTW, personally i find it a bit rude of people to take pics of guests/people in general without asking- i work in a shop in London and often get customers taking my photo without asking. If you ask, then fair enough. Its just polite, after all!

Not digging at people just saying! :D

SM do try to encourage guests to allow photos over the table. It is down to the guest and their agent whether or not they are allowed. The only time SM stop photos are if the guest is insanely popular eg Karen Gillan or some other form of time constraint

I do understand this but with Joel it seemed he was willing and the crew member reminded he couldn't.

i asked Lisa Marie, who wasnt busy at all, if i could have a pic with her, she asked her assistant, who said no,

i would have thought it was up to Lisa Marie, i guess it was because of the paid photoshoots,

not complaining cos i still got to meet her :crying:

I believe that unless the guest doesn't want posed photos due to personal or medical reasons then fine, but we should be allowed to take photographs of them atleast signing or from afar. I noticed people getting rudely shouted at by crew members about taking photos and they weren't even near the guest OR with flash on. I thought it was disgusting the way people were getting shouted at considering we are the ones that pay for these events essientially and these guests wouldn't be who they are today if it wasn't for people like us; the fans.

This always annoys me as previously said, some of us have travelled great distances and spent hard earned money to attend these events. I was told that I was allowed to take pictures of Lloyd signing but when I got up there, I was told differently. Funny how other people have got photographs of him signing so I guess that was due to the old excuse of 'time management'.

I did however manage to get some sneaky shots of some guests though so there. *smug*

Edited by ClockworkOwen18

The sign behind Christopher Lambert said ' No posed Photos ' but yet he was posing with everyone, probably why the queue wasn't going down very quickly. I arrived at 9:30, went straight for my virtual ticket which was 481. He was only on 300 odd at 2:30 when i went back but i managed to get in the queue. I asked for a photo and he was very obliging :crying:

As for Ashley Laurence, i wanted an autograph, but when i saw the ' No photos ' sign up, i didn't bother, as i like to have a photograph with the guest as well.

i asked Lisa Marie, who wasnt busy at all, if i could have a pic with her, she asked her assistant, who said no,

i would have thought it was up to Lisa Marie, i guess it was because of the paid photoshoots,

I had a similar experience with her, as she had a sign saying "no POSED photos" I asked if I could take a photo OF her (which is usually OK). She shifted awkwardly and turned to her assistant and just sort of pleaded with her with her eyes to tell me no. I've no problem with her not wanting a photo, but the way she did it felt rude to me although I didn't show it at the time.

I had a similar experience with her, as she had a sign saying "no POSED photos" I asked if I could take a photo OF her (which is usually OK). She shifted awkwardly and turned to her assistant and just sort of pleaded with her with her eyes to tell me no. I've no problem with her not wanting a photo, but the way she did it felt rude to me although I didn't show it at the time.

She wasn't one of the guests I went to, but I think what you perceived as rude was her actually trying not to be rude. If she really didn't want a picture, she probably felt if she said no, you'd go away not wanting to be a fan of her. However, if she could "pass the buck" so to speak to her assistant, she wouldn't come across as the bad guy.

There was no sign above Mark Sheppard so I asked him for a quick photo and he said he was sorry but couldn't as SM told him he had a photo shoot. Also confirmed by the woman next to him. He was open q as well.

I got the same response, he told me the women next to him would go nuts if he let me.

I asked for a hug but he told me to do it quickly because again she would go nuts with him.

It seemed a little odd.

The best way around that is to get a camera with a good zoom and take it sneakily from a far, lol works a treat

Sorry, but this is one of the reasons why the "no photo rules" get more and more strict. Remember first CM: London when attendees on here complained that a whole area was "no photos"? That was because attendees didn't respect the no photos sign and tried to take pictures from afar.

What annoyed me was I went to see Joel, was told at a table inchs from him that photos were fine. There was just me there, girl beside him said no photos! Even though Joel seemed okay with it, she reminded him no photos. He was lovely though <3

Sometimes the guests do not want photos for one reason or the other. It's the crew's job then to take the blame for them.

I know everyone would like a picture and I was left cursing a handful of times as well. But hey, if this is the rule I am going to respect it.

@ TommyT: not sure if you check the e-mail you registered with regularly. I've sent you a message there.

Its interesting to see so many people had similar experiences. I agree with a comment above that says its rude of people to just randomly take photos of the guests without asking to a point, but are the guests not aware of the event the are coming to? Do they not expect us fans to want to take photos, as for most of us these are once in a life time opportunities. It seems quite often that the guests seem ok with it, yet the crew say no. IF this is the case, then it is very disrespectful to the paying fans who travel great distances to get to these events.

I am not having a go if there are genuinely acceptable reasons behind it, but it seems a little harsh for the most part.

I agree on events like this it should be allowed taking photos. Some Americans got photos with everyone for free because they travelled far and just walked up and asked.... then you see some people getting shouted at for just taking a photo stood near the table.

I think on an event like this were eveyone leaves as much money as they possibly can, but it is impossible to pay for every single guest, you should be allowed taking pictures OFF them. I understand that if you want a photo WITH them you should purchase an autograph or photo session but I can't see the harm of taking pics off the guests really.

It is not really good for the events to have a "no photos" rule, it is kinda ironic and hypocritical in a way as well attending a convention to meet and greet fans then not allowing photos when people pay good money for this.

Just my two cents....

I agree on events like this it should be allowed taking photos. Some Americans got photos with everyone for free because they travelled far and just walked up and asked.... then you see some people getting shouted at for just taking a photo stood near the table.

Is that the Harry Potter fans mentioned elsewhere?

I've mentioned this in another topic, this shouldn't have happened. The question "go up to a guest and chat without buying an autograph" does come up here often and we really do try to discourage it.

I am hoping when the event crew members come back they can shed more light on this.

Ashley Laurence had a medical reason , that is the reason why she wasn't allowing photos! To start with she was doing them, but then people took advantage of it and flashed in her face, so in the end they stopped all photography! I do think she should have been cornered off as that was the case, bit like Clive barker was and also Karen gillan! I think with Christopher lambert though as there was a sign saying no posed photos that should have been enforced , or if he was doing them like indeed he did, the sign should have been taken down! I'm not complaining as I had a fantastic time!!!!! So thank you

I was Guest Assistant Saturday with the lovely Sandahl Bergman who was more than happy to have photos, luckily we were on the end of a row as she got up and went round the front of the desk for everyone!

However I can tell you that there were guests that I myself saw telling the GA's that they didn't want photos with certain people (couldn't tell you why) or sometimes just didn't feel like it, if they fancied it at the time they'd just say yes and do it but if they didn't they'd say "Oh it's up to my assistant" who'd then do the bad work and say "no sorry"

Crew are 100000% never ever told not to allow photos at the desk because of a photoshoot. Maybe some guests use this as an "excuse" to say no? They don't want to seem like the bad guys. The only times that NO PHOTOS signs are up is if the guest/agent has requested it, or time does not permit photos.

Is that the Harry Potter fans mentioned elsewhere?

I've mentioned this in another topic, this shouldn't have happened. The question "go up to a guest and chat without buying an autograph" does come up here often and we really do try to discourage it.

I am hoping when the event crew members come back they can shed more light on this.

Yes it was HP Fans (sorry have not seen this issue mentioned elsewhere) and others too, two girls showed me pics with at least 20 guests they had just walked up to and asked them for photos WITH them but not paid an autograph for any of them as they told me. Let's wait and see as you said what the feedback on this is.

not complaining cos i still got to meet her :thumbup:

She wasn't one of the guests I went to, but I think what you perceived as rude was her actually trying not to be rude. If she really didn't want a picture, she probably felt if she said no, you'd go away not wanting to be a fan of her. However, if she could "pass the buck" so to speak to her assistant, she wouldn't come across as the bad guy.

I know what you're saying, but if you'd have been there you probably would form the same opinion as me. It wasn't what she did but the way she did it. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt but I'll have to put her down with Rick Yune as the only 2 truly disappointing meets I've had in 7 years.