signed pictures

I use WHSMITH Acid Free for photos, sleeves. They are like £5.99 for 100 but have only read good things about them. I am sure they are not as good as Ultra Pro but they are a lot cheaper especially when you have a lot of autographs!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to reiterate what was said on the last page. I myself bought some stuff from the Franks Autographs stall at the weekend. I spent a good 30-40 minutes chatting to them, as I really wanted to learn as much as I could about it all and they were really helpful and friendly too. I ended up buying enough of the sleeves for my collection, and they also sell wallets which fitted in the same box that were photoshoot size. I'd been using the PVC sleeves with the protected edges for the last year, but I knew they weren't the best solution, but I didn't realise how bad they were! Also, they aren't acid free, like a lot of people seem to assume (I know I did!) so people should be aware of that :huh:

I've only got 2 autographs (both photoshoot shots) so I've framed them. The dimensions are a bit unusual, I ended up using a larger photo frame with one of those cardboard borders. With glass glaze I assume they'll be fine for the quality, though I did have worries about the writing rubbing off over time :huh:

As long as you have a decent thickness mount you should be fine, it should keep the glass from touching the auto.

I don't have any of my autoed 8x10's in a frame, just in the Ultra Pro sleeves in a folder. If anyone was worried about them in the sleeves I'd suggest perhaps a tissue paper type sheet inserted over the signature? It would mean you couldn't see it if flipping through but might give added protection?

I've got a completed poster I'm thinking of getting framed and will definately get it double mounted and proffesionally framed.

I have about 80% of my autos in clip frames on the wall, but if you're wanting to keep them nice then I wouldn't suggest this at all!

Moisture has leaked into a couple and warped them, and others have permanently stuck to the glass.

I'm not really bothered about that myself (too late to care now!) but anyone wanting to frame should look carefully into the best methods.

I've never had a problem with fading or the sigs rubbing off though.

I just put mine in those plastic sleeve things you get from WHSMITHS in like a folder but from reading some of these replies I am not sure I should store them in those :D

And I have my Tony Head one with my photo in a frame, hoping that doesn't stick to the glass whatever some people said ;)

I just put mine in those plastic sleeve things you get from WHSMITHS in like a folder but from reading some of these replies I am not sure I should store them in those :D

And I have my Tony Head one with my photo in a frame, hoping that doesn't stick to the glass whatever some people said ;)

With the sleeves, I think the gist is that if it's a modern one it should be ok. If it's old it might be worth replacing to be sure its acid free.

With the sleeves, I think the gist is that if it's a modern one it should be ok. If it's old it might be worth replacing to be sure its acid free.

How do I know if they are modern? I am confused. I just brought one from WHSMITHS for like 4 pounds or something

If you brought it recently it should be ok.

I believe years ago they had certain chemicals in them, and it was those chemicals that caused the problems with the signature coming off. However I think most mainstream suppliers have removed the chemicals so they should be ok.

If you are unsure or concerned about them I'd suggest just putting a piece of paper inside between the sig and the sleeve.

WHSMITH have 2 types of sleeves - acid free which are a bit more expensive & other. So they should say ACID FREE suitable for photos on them if this is the case. The other type are cheaper but do not say acid free.

Arrowfile are great aswell especially for all their different sleeve options including the one where you can put 4 9x6 photoshoots in one sleeve.

i`ve been looking at these guys, i like the idea of the 10x8 sleeves and they`re quite reasonable too. I had a look at my collection for the first time in a while yesterday and some of my autos have folded at the corners or gone a bit wobbly where moisture has seeped in, i don`t think i can salvage the moisture ones (i`ve taken them out and i`m now storing them under my printer flap to see if i can straighten them) I previously had them in an a4 photo album purchased from rymans about 3 years ago. i`ve no idea what material the pockets were made from. I honestly had no idea about inert gases and acid free and all that malarky until i started this thread, nor did i know that storing autos in clip frames on walls ruins them (bang goes my starbuck pic B)) so i thank all of you for your advice and i`m sure others have found this thread informative too.

i will look for the ultra pro sleeves but i have a feeling they`ll be horribly expensive! I have some trading cards in an ultra pro folder and they cost enough!

thanks again to you all :)

I was talking to a dealer at the weekend who was trying to sell new protection for autos - £1 per sleeve and £20 for the binder/box. Each sleeve was light but strong and apparently used in museums to protect old documents.

I personally use ultra pro acid free sleeves but he told me these were no good so I wondered what autograph dealers thought about these 'new' holders?

A lot of people saying they use ring binders with plastic sleeves. But don't this deteriorate the autograph?

I asked at a stall about acid free ones and they said they don't exist and are cons.

Acid Free ones certainly do exist and are certainly not cons. I run a scrapbooking business and everything I sell for the archival preservation of photos is Acid and Lignin free (and the same archival quality as used in museums).

(Lignin is what makes paper yellow and Acid erodes paper)

I was talking to a dealer at the weekend who was trying to sell new protection for autos - £1 per sleeve and £20 for the binder/box. Each sleeve was light but strong and apparently used in museums to protect old documents.

I personally use ultra pro acid free sleeves but he told me these were no good so I wondered what autograph dealers thought about these 'new' holders?

I think I bought these, I bought one at the last Collectormania. He told me they weren't a permanent place to keep them :/

i'm not sure why he would say that Ultra Pro are no good as I have been using them for both autos and cards for over 10 years and never had a problem. Most card dealers that I have bought from also use them (that how I found out about them.)

Ultra pro are a good half-way house: better than your standard docket sleeve from WHSmith and the like, but not really as good as proper archival materials such as polyester sleeves.

With Ultra Pro, sure they're cheap enough but I find the 10x8 pages are fairly flimsy (so don't keep corners straight) and the edges tend to be wrinked which detracts from the autograph when in the page.

I was talking to a guy at LFCC (Frank?) who had polyester sleeves 25 for £25 and a box to keep them in, looked like good gear and I will probably be buying some from him. He was telling me that he had lots of stock kept in the hard plastic holders you see for sale at these shows and he took all his autos out of them to find many signatures were sticking to the insides so he ended up chucking abou £300 of inventory.

Of course this sort of scaremongering does help him sell his archival products, but his is not the only tragic tale I have heard with regards to cheap plastic holders/sleeves and how damaging they can be.

Then again I have had signatures in metallic ink in hard plastic holders for over three years with no problems yet. It's not only what you store your collectibles in but also the environment: keep your collection next to a radiator or a damp cupboard and you're just asking for trouble.

Incognito Comics usually sell the plastic 8X10 sleeves at the events for £1. I meant to buy one yesterday but couldn't find the stall on my way out...

Not sure where you would get them outside of an event though.

You can buy the plastic folders at the following link

http://www.incognitocomics.co.uk/stocklist...TEGORY=11010001

They are Autograph Top Loaders on this page. I have bought from them outwith conventions on several occassions and they are very quick in dealing with orders.

Edited by enrohm1963

Incognito Comics usually sell the plastic 8X10 sleeves at the events for £1. I meant to buy one yesterday but couldn't find the stall on my way out...

Not sure where you would get them outside of an event though.

You can buy the plastic folders at the following link

http://www.incognitocomics.co.uk/stocklist...TEGORY=11010001

They are Autograph Top Loaders on this page. I have bought from them outwith conventions on several occassions and they are very quick in dealing with orders.

These are meant for little more than temporary storage. They say on their website for these toploader: "Super strong. Get your autograph home from the show in one piece." Can't fault them on that score, but over the years you'll have a good chance of finding your autographs stuck to the insides because the plastic is not archival safe.

i usually frame my autographs. I only collect current Doctor Who stars (the classic series ended before i was even thought of) so the frames don't take up too much room in my bedroom.

I've taken to hanging them on my walls now and i always buy the same frames. I have a thing for uniformity, and the silver frames i buy only cost £3.

I don't tend to my autographs in ring binders like my friends. i always think autographs are there to be displayed and admired. Not hidden away on a dusty shelf.

I use Tesco display book pockets, never had a problem with them.

Have got literally 100's of autos and photoshoots etc, so have a good fair few of these pockets, the older ones only had 20 pockets (40 photos), but the only ones ive seen in the last year or so have been bigger 40 pocket display books which hold 80 photos each.

Not that thats a problem as the 40 pocket ones are about £1.60 a time! My problem now is finding places to put these books! :D

Ultra pro are a good half-way house: better than your standard docket sleeve from WHSmith and the like, but not really as good as proper archival materials such as polyester sleeves.

With Ultra Pro, sure they're cheap enough but I find the 10x8 pages are fairly flimsy (so don't keep corners straight) and the edges tend to be wrinked which detracts from the autograph when in the page.

I was talking to a guy at LFCC (Frank?) who had polyester sleeves 25 for £25 and a box to keep them in, looked like good gear and I will probably be buying some from him. He was telling me that he had lots of stock kept in the hard plastic holders you see for sale at these shows and he took all his autos out of them to find many signatures were sticking to the insides so he ended up chucking abou £300 of inventory.

Of course this sort of scaremongering does help him sell his archival products, but his is not the only tragic tale I have heard with regards to cheap plastic holders/sleeves and how damaging they can be.

Then again I have had signatures in metallic ink in hard plastic holders for over three years with no problems yet. It's not only what you store your collectibles in but also the environment: keep your collection next to a radiator or a damp cupboard and you're just asking for trouble.

I had the same sales pich. Am hoping an autograph dealer comes on here with some advice on what to use for the best.

I use Arrowfile folders and clear plastic insert pockets. They are not the cheapest, but all the plastic is acid free and archive quality. Have used them for years, and recommend them. The inserts come in several pocket sizes, so your photos are kept snug and secure.

www.arrowfile.com

I had the same sales pich. Am hoping an autograph dealer comes on here with some advice on what to use for the best.

Yes, its a pitch but the guy isn't wrong. He was selling a very good product. The kind used by libraries/universities/mueseums etc that house important and fragile collections and documents. There really isn't a better storage solution.

I've done plenty of research into archival products over the years and the polyester sleeves of the type he was selling would be my personal first and last choice to put my autographs in.

The only thing I would question would be whether the boxes he was selling were also archival safe, i.e. acid free but I forgot to ask him. Even if they weren't they were very well designed and as long as the autographs are in polyester sleeves that's the main thing.