signed pictures

i was just wondering where everybody stores their photos for safe keeping, mine are currently in a 10x8 photo album bought at a stationers but the pictures have become stuck to the plastic over time and they don`t have removable inserts so i can`t put new pages in. I did see a stall selling something specially made for auto pictures although they were a little out of our price range.( although i am interested, i know you can`t advertise companies on here but if anybody knows the company details, feel free to PM me, we`re not attending today unfortunately!) Does anybody have any suggestions? I now have 5 years worth of con pictures to refile and i`m going to have trouble unsticking them from the plastic to move them to somewhere more suitable!

I`ve also seen people at cons with plastic boxes with clips on the side (clear with blue clips) for temporarily storing photos but i can`t find these locally to me!

Any help appreciated! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PMs don't work on the forum, sorry.

Stallholders can't advertise, but if another attendee remembers the stall's name it's no problem, they can post here.

The problematic posts are the "we are at Comic Con this weekend, if you are a comic fan come to see our stall, we have heavy discounts" type. :angry:

I use those acid free 8x10 sleeves myself. Didn't have problems so far. *knocks on wood*

PMs don't work on the forum, sorry.

Stallholders can't advertise, but if another attendee remembers the stall's name it's no problem, they can post here.

The problematic posts are the "we are at Comic Con this weekend, if you are a comic fan come to see our stall, we have heavy discounts" type. :angry:

I use those acid free 8x10 sleeves myself. Didn't have problems so far. *knocks on wood*

ok thank you, i didn`t realise this was a PM free board, i use so many forums that you just assume they all work the same way after a while! :)

Incognito Comics usually sell the plastic 8X10 sleeves at the events for £1. I meant to buy one yesterday but couldn't find the stall on my way out...

Not sure where you would get them outside of an event though.

Incognito Comics usually sell the plastic 8X10 sleeves at the events for £1. I meant to buy one yesterday but couldn't find the stall on my way out...

Not sure where you would get them outside of an event though.

they`re ok for temporary storage of photos, ie if you`re waiting in a queue to get your picture signed and transport home/back to hotel but not so good if you`re storing more than one picture at the same time, or if any of the ink signed was silver/gold. They tend to weld themselves to the hard plastic sides over time (i have a signed Adam Baldwin pic that i`ve never been able to remove because of this!) i have found an ebay seller who may have something i could use! :)

Those hard-plastic things are particularly dodgy if you use them to store gloss photos. Getting them in and out can be a nightmare. After I had to cut one of the sleeves apart a few years ago to retrieve a photo, I gave up on them altogether and now use soft, acid-free, A4 sleeves from WHSmith.

If I need something temporary, I use one of the hard plastic photo holders (I don't know their actual name, so if it's different, I apologise). However, about a year ago I got a ring binder 'folder' which looks like a normal A4 notebook, but instead of having pages it has plastic sleeves and I've never had any trouble with it. I can't remember how much it was but if you want it, look at Paperchase, as I think it's something they always sell. :D

Sorry if any of my post didn't make sense, I'm still tired from Comic Con yesterday. lol

I've only got 2 autographs (both photoshoot shots) so I've framed them. The dimensions are a bit unusual, I ended up using a larger photo frame with one of those cardboard borders. With glass glaze I assume they'll be fine for the quality, though I did have worries about the writing rubbing off over time :YAHOO:

A lot of people saying they use ring binders with plastic sleeves. But don't this deteriorate the autograph?

I asked at a stall about acid free ones and they said they don't exist and are cons.

The subtext being 'sorry, mate - I don't sell those'. They certainly do exist. Whether acid-free storage matters is up for debate but I prefer to err on the side of caution, as it's not expensive.

Ultra pro sleves all the way. They do types for both photos and trading cards and are one of the standards for long term storage.

i`ve looked on ebay for those, i can find trading card sleeves no problem but i can`t seem to find a4 sized sleeves. Any tips?

A lot of people saying they use ring binders with plastic sleeves. But don't this deteriorate the autograph?

I asked at a stall about acid free ones and they said they don't exist and are cons.

The subtext being 'sorry, mate - I don't sell those'. They certainly do exist. Whether acid-free storage matters is up for debate but I prefer to err on the side of caution, as it's not expensive.

There's some interesting tips on materials and archiving here, here here and here. OK, much of it is aimed at material considerably older and fragile than your current autographs, but the general principles apply. If "aic-free" is a con, it's certainly a widespread one, and since I'm pretty sure most major museums have protocols about it, I'd be more inclined to believe them than some bloke on a stall.

Thanks for posting the links above, by and large they confirm what one of the autograph dealers was saying (one of the ones that wasn't trying to push 'fancy-schmancy' / expensive storage solutions).

it's the old PVC that was the problem in the past. It released chlorides and plasticisers into the air and anything in contact with it. Nowadays, the majority of good quality albums use polypropylene or polyester, both of which are inert plastics (they don't off-gas or ooze anything nasty). You also need to make sure that the covers, slip-cases and boxes you store things in are made of these same plastics.

Not sure if it's ok to actually name them, but try Googling Franks Autographs; really nice couple selling archival-quality sleeves that are acid-free, lignin-free, low sulphur, etc.

PS. I've seen them mentioned on this forum before, so hopefully naming them is ok.

Ultra pro sleves all the way. They do types for both photos and trading cards and are one of the standards for long term storage.

Yep, gotta agree, Ultra Pro is the way to go to protect your signed pics. They certainly used to do a photo size and a magazine size as well. I then store them in trading card binders relevant to the autos in there (BUffy, Star Trek etc). These fit with the Ultra Pro sleeves as they have four holes punched in them , so the normal two hole ring binders you get in the U.K. don't work.

If you are putting them on the wall, keep them out of direct sunlight or fork out some cash for protective glass.

Finally, if you really want to display think about taking copies of your originals to put on the wall, keeping your originals safe and stored away in the Ultra Pro folders.

I usually pick up the sleees from traders at the show, but you can also get them on-line if you search for Ultra Pro Sleeves. Bit expensive but worth it to protect them.

yeah they exsist wh smith pack 20 clearly states acid free on the packet been collecting 10 years all ive ever used eveything still intact and lovely

There's some interesting tips on materials and archiving here, here here and here. OK, much of it is aimed at material considerably older and fragile than your current autographs, but the general principles apply. If "aic-free" is a con, it's certainly a widespread one, and since I'm pretty sure most major museums have protocols about it, I'd be more inclined to believe them than some bloke on a stall.

acid free is best i have several vintage posters linen backed acid free paper etc etc applies to photos as wel but dont take my word for it google it all linen backing/and stored photos should be stored acid free and if u hang em on the wall meusem glass is best so uv light wont fade em

yeah they exsist wh smith pack 20 clearly states acid free on the packet been collecting 10 years all ive ever used eveything still intact and lovely

acid free is best i have several vintage posters linen backed acid free paper etc etc applies to photos as wel but dont take my word for it google it all linen backing/and stored photos should be stored acid free and if u hang em on the wall meusem glass is best so uv light wont fade em

Don't forget the Ultra Pro sleeves are a fair bit stronger than the A4 pocket sleeves you normally get in WH Smith. As well as the acid element, you should be looking to make sure your photos don't warp over time as well. I've been collecting autos, comics, trading cards for over 30 years and I wouldn't risk putting mine in your standard Wh Smith poly pockets for the long haul.

Don't forget the Ultra Pro sleeves are a fair bit stronger than the A4 pocket sleeves you normally get in WH Smith. As well as the acid element, you should be looking to make sure your photos don't warp over time as well. I've been collecting autos, comics, trading cards for over 30 years and I wouldn't risk putting mine in your standard Wh Smith poly pockets for the long haul.

yes yes have good sturdy binder but yeah saw those ultra pro lovlies at show my well invest sleeves were aqid each and binder 40 quid i think

yep I use the Ultra-Pro 10x8 sleeves too and have them in an ultra-pro ring binder which is starting to get a bit full so might get another one sometime to spread the load a bit. I try to keep it stored upright too so there's no unnecessary weight/pressure being placed on the ones on the bottom. I like the specific 10x8 size as it seems to offer a little more protection from the corners being bent as it kind of sits the picture up off the bottom of the sleeve. Hard to explain but works very well.

Seem extremely sturdy and recommended by pretty much everyone.

Did anyone see that stall selling a kind of three ring box binder with similar kind of sleeves in? Looked interesting in as much as being completely sealed it would help prevent dust etc getting in which a normal ring binder doesn't do. Might look into that in the future.

Edited by Rockstar6662