Original photo shoot files

Do you send the original photo files to those who request them? It's great having the print but it's on Glossy paper meaning when scanned the light reflects off parts and creates white dots on the picture. Meaning if the original is lost or damaged we're doomed.

The original photo would be of a much higher quality? I've always wondered if we can request photos to be posted why can't we request them to be emailed? Even at additional cost..

Right now this is not possible, sorry.

I'm saying right now because TooTall has posted before that this situation may change in the future.

That question comes up quite often, so SM do definitely know the demand is there.

It's a lot of pictures that would have to be sent out and that means a lot of extra work. That would mean hiring an extra person at least temporarily.

So some things do have to be figured out in advance.

One problem is definitely going to be the charge for that service. Due to the amount of extra work it's basically impossible to send the JPEGs for free.

Going from past posts here a lot of attendees do think it should be done for free, or a pound or two max. I've seen it done at other shows for costs between 5 and 10 dollars. It's a fine balance to figure out how much is necessary to cover costs, and how many attendees are actually willing to pay.

I know it's been raised a lot over the years. If it ever does come to pass, I'll be pleased. A few times I've collected my prints at shows to find greasy fingerprints all over them. It happened again yesterday. People need to respect other folks' pictures when they're picking up their own.

(Sorry, slight tangent!)

I'm saying right now because TooTall has posted before that this situation may change in the future.

That question comes up quite often, so SM do definitely know the demand is there.

It's a lot of pictures that would have to be sent out and that means a lot of extra work. That would mean hiring an extra person at least temporarily.

One problem is definitely going to be the charge for that service. Due to the amount of extra work it's basically impossible to send the JPEGs for free.

Going from past posts here a lot of attendees do think it should be done for free, or a pound or two max. I've seen it done at other shows for costs between 5 and 10 dollars. It's a fine balance to figure out how much is necessary to cover costs, and how many attendees are actually willing to pay.

Ok that all sounds fine to to me! But what about the white dots you get from scanning gloss? Any suggestions on stopping them?

Ok that all sounds fine to to me! But what about the white dots you get from scanning gloss? Any suggestions on stopping them?

You could always clean you scanner!

Normally the white dots, or at least what I think you are talking about are bits of fluff or dust on the glass of your scanner.

If I get any white spots, a quick clean with a glass cleaner and away you go.

Also, to be honest, something like getting the original photo file or JPEG shouldnt be that hard and personally get the feeling this is just something people cannot be bothered to do.

Heres how i would do it, baring in mind that these are digital:

1) From the customer point of view, you are given a webiste to goto in relation to your specific shoot. using Karen Gillan as an example: www.photos.com/Gillan1 or www.photos.com\Gillan2.

From the photographer point of view, the photos that are taken are either backed up or stored in locations such as Gillan1 or Gillan2

2) Within, say a week, thumbnails of the pictures are uploaded to the website. Each photo has a number, such as the automatic number a camera calls the photo.

3) Customers go to the site locate the picture they are after. They then use a checkout system (PayPal would proabably be the easiest), type in the photo number, email address etc and pay.

4) Original file is emailed to the user in within 48hrs

Edited by Fry

Heres how i would do it, baring in mind that these are digital:

1) From the customer point of view, you are given a webiste to goto in relation to your specific shoot. using Karen Gillan as an example: www.photos.com/Gillan1 or www.photos.com\Gillan2.

From the photographer point of view, the photos that are taken are either backed up or stored in locations such as Gillan1 or Gillan2

2) Within, say a week, thumbnails of the pictures are uploaded to the website. Each photo has a number, such as the automatic number a camera calls the photo.

3) Customers go to the site locate the picture they are after. They then use a checkout system (PayPal would proabably be the easiest), type in the photo number, email address etc and pay.

4) Original file is emailed to the user in within 48hrs

Given the concern/paranoia (delete according to your prejudice) about paedophiles obtaining even innocent pictures of children (e.g. people not being allowed to film/photograph the school play as it may have other people's children in as well as your own), I can imagine there being significant amounts of protest on here if any photos involving kids were subject to such a process...

Firstly, answering hobbitfanatic, are you that wonderfully good looking that someone would pay for a picture of you? Whats to stop someone wondering off with your photo when they're produced on the day.

TommyT, what could be done at the time of upload to the website is have any photos with the childrens faces blured out or erased. This shouldnt be too much of a hard task as through all the photo shoots I have been too there is normally very few children

Edited by Fry

If I have those dots appearing it's time to clean my scanner. ;) If it's clean I never had dots appearing, sorry. What model do you have if I may ask?

Firstly, answering hobbitfanatic, are you that wonderfully good looking that someone would pay for a picture of you? Whats to stop someone wondering off with your photo when they're produced on the day.

I realize it is going to sound scary, but I have actually been witness of people walking off with other attendee's photos, yes. Unfortunately witness meant mostly attendees frantically looking for their photos, and then someone realized another attendee walked off with them. Mostly if it were "special scenes" with props or something. Two years ago at another show a friend of mine stopped a duo of Joe Flanigan fans wandering off with my photo in hand last minute!

I'm really not sure what happens with those photos, maybe they cut the other attendee out and photoshop themselves in? Actually I am not even sure I want to know. :thumbup:

So yeah, I wouldn't actually rule it out that someone paid for other attendees' photos.

Would be nice to get the jpgs especially when you get your photos bent and full of fingerprints from the table they have been laid out on :*( or if they gone missing for one reason or another at the event and weren't on the table or anywhere!

TommyT, what could be done at the time of upload to the website is have any photos with the childrens faces blured out or erased. This shouldnt be too much of a hard task as through all the photo shoots I have been too there is normally very few children

No I'm think of trouble for another orgaizer where a fansite posed a load of peoples pictures without permission. The type of photoshoots we're talking about here.

Many people don't care what someone looks like they just want a picture of the celeb your with.

There are other cons that gives the choice of getting them in either electronic or a printed one, I donno if there is a cost etc, but Im sure you could learn from them perhaps of a good way on how to solve this.

Then I also thought about having the tickets linked to the photos, this should solve the distribution very nicely, then again I donno how hard this might be to manage. But shouldnt be to hard cause they are numbered, and if the staff collects them in the right order, the photos should be easy to connect to the actuall owner. The problems with retakes shouldnt be to hard either cause the cameraman or a crewmember should see which photos are the retakes. This means the persons need to save their tickets in order to get their pictures afterwards which I did cause I thought you needed them.

The uploading bit... Well, having some sort of passwordprotections etc, for instance that you may only view the for instance Karen Gillan photos if you had one... (some sort of password linked to the ticket). And with the ticket you can only GET one of the pictures per ticket, so if you feel like stealing someone elses, you wont get your own.

I would though gladly pay a pound each if I could get the originals... Very glad even :)

But I thought Id just also say that the people behind the camera did an amazing job. I dont like myself in pictures most of the time, I doesn´t work for me smiling in them... ;) but all the photos I got, I smile, and you know what..... it looks very very nice.

There is another issue with regards to the original photos - the copyright belongs to the photographer as his artistic rights. He would have to be willing to sell those rights to the pictures - and that goes for regardless of who is in the photos - guest or attendee!

I hate getting the print. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I travel from Ireland to these events and it is a pain ensuring the print isn't damaged in transit. Apart from that I want the Digital Negative/JPEG for my digital photo frame and I view my photo albums digitally on the computer.

I have seen posts when this type of thread comes about regarding copyright issues etc but honestly I very much doubt the photographer would care less if the JPEGs were given out to people who purchased the photos. Especially if said photographer was getting extra money for this service.

I also don't see any practical reason why a service could not be implemented for people to get their photos digitally. Either by way of people bringing their own memory sticks or as another poster said downloading from the net.

In fact from a practical viewpoint the events that Jason & SM Team put on each year are basically fairly efficient with most people having little to complain about and therefore I think it would be incredibly easy for them to take this issue on board and change it for future shows.

I would certainly pay more to have the JPEG, I don't think I should have to pay extra for the JPEG but I would if the option was there. In fact I wouldn't even want the print, I would just take the JPEG given the option.

Then I also thought about having the tickets linked to the photos, this should solve the distribution very nicely, then again I donno how hard this might be to manage. But shouldnt be to hard cause they are numbered, and if the staff collects them in the right order, the photos should be easy to connect to the actuall owner. The problems with retakes shouldnt be to hard either cause the cameraman or a crewmember should see which photos are the retakes. This means the persons need to save their tickets in order to get their pictures afterwards which I did cause I thought you needed them.

The uploading bit... Well, having some sort of passwordprotections etc, for instance that you may only view the for instance Karen Gillan photos if you had one... (some sort of password linked to the ticket). And with the ticket you can only GET one of the pictures per ticket, so if you feel like stealing someone elses, you wont get your own.

I would though gladly pay a pound each if I could get the originals... Very glad even :)

In what way do you mean link the tickets to the photos? I assume you meant the actual photo shoto tickets that you purchase. They are sequentially numbered but the order that the photos are taken does not adhere to the ticket numbers. For example with the busier sessions you get called up in groups of 30 or 50. Ticket holder number 1 may be 15th in the queue though. Ticket holder number 2 may arrive late and end up in the group of 400+

Some form of password system may be an option.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I would consider to be a reasonsable fee but I would expect to be charged more than £1 per image. Just think of the number of photos taken at one event that would require resizing and then uploading...it would require a lot of time.

**looks at how many photo shoots I have :D hopefully one day!**

I also don't see any practical reason why a service could not be implemented for people to get their photos digitally. Either by way of people bringing their own memory sticks or as another poster said downloading from the net.
Transferring it to a USB drive (or similar) at a show would take a long time. It doesn't sound too bad on an individual basis. Walk up , hand over your USB stick, wait while the photo is found and copied. Great when you are first in the queue but what about when you are 200th...400th...or in the case of Karen 800th?

I may be mad but I really like getting the print there and then (well, within a few hours anyway). Something to take home and show to people straight away.

I'd be open to getting the original file too but at present you are paying for a print and for all I know there may be legal issues both with the photographer and the guest about what happens to those images which might make distributing the files not so straighforward.

You can always scan the photo for displaying on your computer etc. Maybe not as good quality but in a digital picture frame I doubt you'd notice a huge difference with a good scanner.

In what way do you mean link the tickets to the photos? I assume you meant the actual photo shoto tickets that you purchase. They are sequentially numbered but the order that the photos are taken does not adhere to the ticket numbers. For example with the busier sessions you get called up in groups of 30 or 50. Ticket holder number 1 may be 15th in the queue though. Ticket holder number 2 may arrive late and end up in the group of 400+

Some form of password system may be an option.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I would consider to be a reasonsable fee but I would expect to be charged more than £1 per image. Just think of the number of photos taken at one event that would require resizing and then uploading...it would require a lot of time.

**looks at how many photo shoots I have :unsure: hopefully one day!**

Transferring it to a USB drive (or similar) at a show would take a long time. It doesn't sound too bad on an individual basis. Walk up , hand over your USB stick, wait while the photo is found and copied. Great when you are first in the queue but what about when you are 200th...400th...or in the case of Karen 800th?

When I mean linking picture to ticket. For instance when I hand over the ticket, the staffmember collects them in the order of the people comin to take the picture. So if we first have 4, 12, 23, 1, 234. Then the smaller part of the tickets should come in that order (I know there can be big problems if something goes wrong).

Was just a thought :)

Somewhere else they wrote the number of the photo on the back of the ticket, then had people who wanted the jpgs bring their memory stick and then could come to a designated desk where someone puts the jpgs on their memory stick free of charge. Don't know if this would be an idea for the future, I think it worked really well and can be done without too much hassle, but figured I put it out there, just in case ;0)

just need one or two computer terminals in the corner with access to the photo server, assuming the file name is printed on the back of the photo locating it shouldn't take that long, especially if attendee knows what time it was taken.

You could probably send it in an email quicker than bothering with a stick, write the emails offline then send them when the PC goes online later.

In theory the amount of planning required would be less than posting original printed copies out.

If £2 a search was charged wouldn't loose money on it. If people couldn't wait and queue they could even leave their email address on a card (or in a book) with the fee for someone to find later. £2 a time for what a minutes work? would pay well

If the huge American cons with 50,000 people attending can do it then logistically it can't be that impossible.

SM's brought in photoshoots because of the demand for them rather than over the table photos, and they have proven very popular. The obvious step to supply customer demand for the photoshoot file service is a natural step.

And my experience from the american con was that my emailed jpeg beat me home!! :D

If the huge American cons with 50,000 people attending can do it then logistically it can't be that impossible.

SM's brought in photoshoots because of the demand for them rather than over the table photos, and they have proven very popular. The obvious step to supply customer demand for the photoshoot file service is a natural step.

And my experience from the american con was that my emailed jpeg beat me home!! :D

on one of them they set up an online thing where you punch in your number that is on the print I think,

or you just browse small jpegs of the pic for yourself, then pay, think its 5 or 10 quid?

its possible, I would suspect if SM ever did it, it would only be for the big cons, also as SM get them printed at boots, they would need to be numbered at printing, unless u just had a site with small images then you clicked and bought them at a later date

I am sorry but I really don't see how getting the jpg on a usb-stick or mailed while at the show can be "easy". It would require crewmembers to do it, so people wouldn't steal other peoples photos or take forever to find their own. And it would pretty much be a waste of time to collect the jpgs untill you had your last photo shoot. Which would mean huge queues through out the last halfs of the day especiallst y on Sunday.

I would love to get the jpgs, but I have trouble seeing how it can best be done. Other shows have uploadet all photos. It is the easiest for the organiser but not good for those who doesn't want their photo stolen or online in the first place.

Without wanting to talk about other events too much, but i once went to a UK one where the photographer gave a card out with the 'photoshoot' photo and you could order direct from their website a week or so later. The images were 'endorsed online with the photographers logo across the front, so no stealing online problem issues really.

The US event where a jpeg was sent cos me $5, about £3.40...bargain!

Edited by TonytheCylon