does anyone have picture of the kgills q&a hugs

officially on the website its down as a premium paid for talk, so paying for a talk and getting 45 minutes of ppl asking for hugs, there is a difference, want/ dont want, more important ect doesnt matter, it was a talk, not a request meet and greet hugging session,.

imagine at a football post match briefing with fergie, if a reporter said can I have a hug cos I love you lol, instead of asking a question. ;-)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't pay more money than me. What you wanted is no more important than what I wanted.

But, and this is probably a big but to some people, what we wanted (and paid for) isn't what we got, not for all the time at least! It didn't say 45 minutes, consisting of 40 minutes of questions and 5 minutes of hugging, it said 45 minutes q+a!

Also, I wanted a hug, but didn't ask for one because didn't think it was fair or the time or place...

You got what you wanted. The hug was like 2 seconds out of the entire thing and you still got a q&a. If you didn't get one at all, I could understand you being annoyed, but you got your q&a. Are you really getting upset cause of one little hug?

You didn't pay more money than me. What you wanted is no more important than what I wanted.

But, and this is probably a big but to some people, what we wanted (and paid for) isn't what we got, not for all the time at least! It didn't say 45 minutes, consisting of 40 minutes of questions and 5 minutes of hugging, it said 45 minutes q+a!

Also, I wanted a hug, but didn't ask for one because didn't think it was fair or the time or place...

You got what you wanted. The hug was like 2 seconds out of the entire thing and you still got a q&a. If you didn't get one at all, I could understand you being annoyed, but you got your q&a. Are you really getting upset cause of one little hug?

800 other ppl would of loved a hug, a talk isnt the place to request these things, and given the situation what was karen going to say even if she didnt fancy it? gun to her head is the term.

if 800 of the other ppl there also wanted a hug, and if 1 got one then its only fair right? then there would of been no talk at all. with big guests like karen, the photo shoot is the best and fairest place to ask for a hug

was it 800? o 6? i forget

Are you really getting upset cause of one little hug?

Its more the principle that it's just not really the done thing to ask. Very bad form. I'm sure everyone in that room would happily have asked "Can I have a hug?" but people don't because it isn't appropriate and you're putting a guest in a position where they simply can't say no. I think it was also very unfortunate that the first 2 questions were personal requests as it started everything on the wrong foot - I was pleased that Andy jumped in so quickly and stopped people going up to the stage - there is a security concern there as well.

I wasn't as bothered by the hat question as Karen rather opened the door for that by querying how the girl could top her strangest request and she made no attempt to go up to the stage herself.

Bottom line it's lovely you got what you wanted but it was very inappropriate behaviour.

Am I the only one who finds people who insist on hugging every actor/actress they meet to be cringe worthy and creepy?

There is nothing that makes me cringe more then seeing a photoshoot photo where the attendee and actor are both hugging each other like a loved up couple lol

No offence to people who like to do that though.

It's not upset, it's anger, not the viscious type but inside, I would have loved for a hug, why should you be any more special in getting one as opposed to everyone else? As timelord81r said, 'gun to her head is the term'!

I'm glad you enjoyed your hug, Je55ika, but as others have said, it was a Q&A, so not the right place to ask. It's one of those unfortunate things which look small to the individual, but if everyone wanted the same treatment, the cumulative effect would be disastrous, so naturally a number of people are going to come down on it to prevent a precedent being set. Poses and hugging can often slow down a photoshoot as well, of course, but the difference is that each photo is the for individual to treasure, so more leeway can be made there. The talk is there for everyone to enjoy, but the time goes by very quickly, and in the case of a paid one in particular, everyone wants to get their money's worth.

Yes, people ask questions about an actor's life or work to satisfy his or her personal curiosity, but the answers are usually fascinating to all, and the better the questions, the better the answers! Personal requests are only good for the individual. It takes time away from everyone else there, which is selfish. I appreciate you must have been very excited, but I hope you appreciate where people like me are coming from as well.

Edited by CosmicAvatar

Unfortunately selfish people are just blind to reasoned argument. They will never see what they did as wrong in any way. The point here is that in a talk, especially a paid-for talk, the audience is there for (are you ready for this?) a talk. No matter how "boring" you may find some of it. It didn't go on sale as "Request Session With Karen Gillan."

agreed you guys should of made a hug sign I saw one on the floor outside of the Exhibition centre.

That sign was on the floor outside because they are not permitted at the event and have been banned for a couple of years now, ever since a bunch of selfish idiots caused chaos with them at a previous event. The crew are told at every event to ask people to remove them, the phrase used in the briefing is "we like hugs, but we hate 'Free Hugs' signs." I recommend people don't waste their time making them.

I'm sorry people are getting upset, but I've never been to one of these things before. I had the opportunity to ask, so I tried my luck. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to. Next time I'll think beforehand and try to get one in the photoshoot like my sister did, but we were rushed cause we arrived like 5 minutes before our photoshoot block ended. I think if anyone was really in the wrong it was my sister who stood up after me to get a hug, even though she had already gotten one, cause that did take up more time and she didn't ask, she just butted in on both my question and my hug. Again, sorry to everyone that's angry, but I just didn't know any better.

Hey, we all make mistakes, even after repeated visits. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the etiquette and have even more fun next year.

p.s. no blame-shifting - you set the precedent, so you can't blame your sister for jumping in there, even if it was cheeky! :D

Seriously...it took a few seconds, it was memorable and it does make a change from "What's it like working with Matt Smith?". She must be fed up of answering that all the time and it will make everyone there remember the talk, which surely is good. If she was doing hugs for 25 minutes I'd see your point but it's less than a minute and a bit of fun.

Besides, this is Karen Gillan, the fun, bubbly girl who's the companion on Doctor Who! Not the serious, involved director who will spend hours answering each question. I think some people act a bit geeky in these things and completely flip when a "normal" person tries to have a bit of fun. These events are for everyone, not just the geeks who follow every word of the rule.

oh, i'm not shifting the blame. i'm just annoyed at my sister for jumping in on my question/hug and then being the one to be photographed with karen. i think it's just a bit of sibling rivalry to be honest :D

In a word: Yes!

Another genuine Dr Who question or something could have been asked in the time it took for that hug, and Karen couldnt exactly have said no or she'd have been slated for it as unfriendly and miserable (or something!).

oh, i'm not shifting the blame. i'm just annoyed at my sister for jumping in on my question/hug and then being the one to be photographed with karen. i think it's just a bit of sibling rivalry to be honest :P

Sorry, but thats a rubbish excuse, passing the blame on partly, which is what you ARE doing. Bringing in sibling rivalry as an excuse for annoying almost 500 people.

Whats done is done, just remember for the future if you attend any more talks not to do it again. Thats all people ask.

Edited by crippsy_99

• Moderators

OK firstly, thank you for the apology. I realise people do get caught up in the moment, and get excited. So I can't blame you for wanting that.

It's more of a general comment on this thing, rather than personally against you. It was just a case of you posting this topic, which resulted in some debate after. I hope you don't take it personally.

It can help people to read for future reference, and realise that it's not appropriate behaviour to be after your own hugs/whatever else.

Seriously...it took a few seconds, it was memorable and it does make a change from "What's it like working with Matt Smith?". She must be fed up of answering that all the time and it will make everyone there remember the talk, which surely is good. If she was doing hugs for 25 minutes I'd see your point but it's less than a minute and a bit of fun.

Besides, this is Karen Gillan, the fun, bubbly girl who's the companion on Doctor Who! Not the serious, involved director who will spend hours answering each question. I think some people act a bit geeky in these things and completely flip when a "normal" person tries to have a bit of fun. These events are for everyone, not just the geeks who follow every word of the rule.

Thank you. I know all my friends went to see Karen, and all the people I met on the day seemed to too. You can get information from other places, but there are rarely many chances to see her in person. That's what the day was to a lot of people. To just see her. We didn't need to ask her a bunch of questions, we just needed to see her pretty in the flesh. I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone, and I'll try to remember the 'rules' for the next convention I go to, but anyone getting annoyed should keep in mind that with certain guests, like Karen, there will always be people like me. She isn't known for being serious and detailed, she's known for being a wonderful, perfect human being. I know all her fans on tumblr would have felt the same as me. That it is worth the money just to be in her presence. You can't dictate what other people do. I get it, you paid your money, and didn't appreciate what I did at all. But next time KGills turns up at a convention, even though I won't ask her for a hug again, if someone else can get away with it they will. This is just going to be what happens with guests like this. Teenage girls like me are going to go and they will just want to see Karen. Not every wanted the same thing out of the talk, can we just please accept that? I've apologised and said I won't do it again, so can we please just move on?

And by the way, to everyone saying I annoyed the 500 other people, I know I didn't annoy as many people as you are suggesting. All my friends thought I was lucky, and the people I talked to in the queues just said I was lucky/they were jealous. I think it was obvious that with the requests she got and questions she got asked, that not everyone was there for the same reason as you. Not everyone will be pissed at the hug. The whole of Saturday made my year, cause I got to meet someone I idolised. I wanted to come onto this forum and be happy and say how wonderful everything was, and just fangirl a bit with everyone else who met Karen. But then I saw people's reactions and they had me in tears. I just thought I was asking a question a lot of people would have asked, and I didn't know it would annoy some people so much. I'm really sorry.

And sorry for the long post.

• Moderators

No one really wants to 'ruin' your moment for you, and it's lovely that you had such a great time. I'm sure we all really just want to try and ask people to be a little more respectful of others in future. That's all.

When an event offers you the opportunity to get an autograph, or a photo shoot, then those are more appropriate to be expecting personal interaction than a talk where hundreds of others are there.

It's not just you, trust me. It's when others ask "oh, remember when we did this, and you said this, blah blah.." .. it's not fair to be making things personal in a talk and pretty much excluding everyone else.

It's not just you, trust me. It's when others ask "oh, remember when we did this, and you said this, blah blah.." .. it's not fair to be making things personal in a talk and pretty much excluding everyone else.

One way to sort of achieve the personal connection with the guest AND not exclude everyone else, is to perhaps ask something along the lines of 'Hi, when we spoke (yesterday'last year etc) you told a great/funny story about 'xyz', I wonder if you could share it with everyone.

Of course, this is only where there is a fun story to be told !

• Moderators

Yes, definitely. If it's something worth repeating, and it may be of interest to other fans, then go for it! But not when it's some weird thing that leaves hundreds of people sat there looking confused, and one person happy!

No one really wants to 'ruin' your moment for you, and it's lovely that you had such a great time. I'm sure we all really just want to try and ask people to be a little more respectful of others in future. That's all.

When an event offers you the opportunity to get an autograph, or a photo shoot, then those are more appropriate to be expecting personal interaction than a talk where hundreds of others are there.

Oh, I didn't mean you. You've been calm and respectful, I just meant the people calling me selfish, they were the ones that made me cry. I swear in the future I will be more respectful, of other people, but I'm just asking you all to do the same for people like me. Next time you go to a Q&A with someone like Karen, take it as granted that someone like me will be there wanting something personal. Just accept it and move on and don't get upset. This respect thing should work both ways.

• Moderators

I do respect it, and that's why I'm suggesting that if people are that insistent on getting a hug or wanting to talk about something personal, they have other options than doing it in front of hundreds of paying attendees :D

I do respect it, and that's why I'm suggesting that if people are that insistent on getting a hug or wanting to talk about something personal, they have other options than doing it in front of hundreds of paying attendees :D

I'm not talking to you, you've been fine. I was talking to other people, to let them know. I would have gotten a hug in the photoshoot, but I was too rushed to ask for one.

haven't you all got it yet?

When it comes to getting a celebs picture or autograph or hug - PEOPLE DON'T CARE. it is every man for himself!

they only care about WHAT they want.

This is the down side to autograph collecting, meeting celebs etc.

People don't care if you paid £20 for the talk - they are gonna try and get what they what no matter what.

In their eyes - they have paid the money (no one else has) so they will go all out to get their needs met regardless of what the other 499 people think.

you can all moan to the person who asked for the hug in the talk - they won't care though as they still got the hug and the memory.

selfish business - autograph collecting.

Edited by julieannboo

Funny how, therefore, nobody is screaming about when the FIRST question in the Sylvester McCoy talk was a bloke asking if Sylvester remembered him. Again, it was pretty funny and I remember it as a great moment, even though it was "selfish" and "unacceptable" as some of the people's freedom fighters are stating here. Although it was £20, you got a good talk nonetheless and a quirky moment that does show you another side of Karen!