does anyone have picture of the kgills q&a hugs

Funny how, therefore, nobody is screaming about when the FIRST question in the Sylvester McCoy talk was a bloke asking if Sylvester remembered him. Again, it was pretty funny and I remember it as a great moment, even though it was "selfish" and "unacceptable" as some of the people's freedom fighters are stating here. Although it was £20, you got a good talk nonetheless and a quirky moment that does show you another side of Karen!

The Sylvester talk was paid for too? I thought that was a free one?

The Karen one was PAID for, which is why people took a disliking too it. During a free talk its an annoyence, but fair enough. Also, I thought Karens talk was £25?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But to be fair, Karen was only paid because of demand. It was still done like every other talk so it's exactly the same thing, which isn't a problem in any case.

If you aren't happy with hugs, leave. That's the best way to show dissatisfaction rather than logging onto a forum and having a grumble. I dare say only 4 or 5 people really cared that much.

• Moderators

I'm not going to leave because of the selfishness of some other people.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect others to simply take into consideration the other hundreds of people in the talk. Sorry, but that doesn't make us "freedom fighters" or whatever else people want to call us. It's stupid to expect people to just be allowed to do whatever they want. It shouldn't happen, and I hope it won't in future.

But a hug takes 2 or 3 seconds. She can't answer a question in such a short time and it doesn't mean "you're the only attendee I care about" - it, if nothing else, adds something memorable into a talk. This forum only represents maybe 5% of attendees and the other 95% aren't obsessed with rules, they'll just go home and think Karen is aweome for hugging. Some people always like to moan but would the talk really have been as fun if she just answered an obvious question or something that's endlessly recapped on telly or websites?

But a hug takes 2 or 3 seconds. She can't answer a question in such a short time and it doesn't mean "you're the only attendee I care about" - it, if nothing else, adds something memorable into a talk.

Some people always like to moan but would the talk really have been as fun if she just answered an obvious question or something that's endlessly recapped on telly or websites?

2 or 3 seconds?? Maybe for the act itself, but you've got the rest too.

First the person asks for the hug. Then they have to get from their seat, past other people, into the aisle, and down to the stage. Then the act of hugging itself.

Then theres a pause as Karen (or whoever else) gets back onto the stage and composes themselves again to carry on. In some cases, we then have to wait for the person who asked to get back to their seat before the next questions asked due to the disruption.

So overall, it takes a few mins, which IS time that another question could have been asked!

As for the end of your post, YES, that would have been MORE fun listening to her answering a question, rather than seeing someone endulge in their own whim.

keep in mind that with certain guests, like Karen, there will always be people like me.... Teenage girls like me are going to go and they will just want to see Karen.
haven't you all got it yet?

When it comes to getting a celebs picture or autograph or hug - PEOPLE DON'T CARE. it is every man for himself!

they only care about WHAT they want.

It's hardly new , is it? Old film footage of the Beatles, the Stones, the Bay City Rollers, Wham, Take That etc will show that teenage girls can get quite overexcited and irrational. Part of the territory.

I've said it before, but a relation of mine has worked on music gigs for 30-odd years. He's done biker festivals, heavy rock gigs, everything from Manilow to thrash metal. And he's never had to deal with worse than 14-year old girls at Wham gigs in the 80s. "Give me a dozen Motorhead gigs rather than another half hour of that lunacy" he said.

Doesn't make this sort of behaviour acceptable. Just perhaps not entirely unexpected. Take measures accordingly and move on, rather than crucifying somebody who has at least eventually apologised.

But a hug takes 2 or 3 seconds. She can't answer a question in such a short time and it doesn't mean "you're the only attendee I care about" - it, if nothing else, adds something memorable into a talk.

Some people always like to moan but would the talk really have been as fun if she just answered an obvious question or something that's endlessly recapped on telly or websites?

2 or 3 seconds?? Maybe for the act itself, but you've got the rest too.

First the person asks for the hug. Then they have to get from their seat, past other people, into the aisle, and down to the stage. Then the act of hugging itself.

Then theres a pause as Karen (or whoever else) gets back onto the stage and composes themselves again to carry on. In some cases, we then have to wait for the person who asked to get back to their seat before the next questions asked due to the disruption.

So overall, it takes a few mins, which IS time that another question could have been asked!

As for the end of your post, YES, that would have been MORE fun listening to her answering a question, rather than seeing someone endulge in their own whim.

Okay, at first I was sorry for doing it, but now, you're just all too rude for me to care about annoying you. In fact, the way you're bitching about me, if I had the chance I'd do it again just to **** you all off. I was at the end of like the third row. It didn't take long at all. And if you think I'm 'selfish' for wanting a hug, then I have the right to think you're selfish for wanting it to go exactly the way you wanted. Not everyone wanted 45 minutes of rehashed questions. As a proper Karen fan, I've seen/read all her interviews and seen her answer the same questions millions of times. I didn't pay £20 to sit through a q&a and have idiots ask her questions that they just could have googled the answers for. I wanted this q&a to be unique since it was her first convention, so I made sure that happened at the beginning, by asking for a hug. The question alone would have been enough for me if the microphone hadn't made me so stage-struck. But, I've been looking at the picture thread and I'm guessing from all the pictures posted that the average user here is a middle aged man. I'm a teenage girl. Please, grow up and get over it, because at most it took like 2 minutes and you still got the rest of the talk for your precious questions.

And for anyone who feels like they missed out on a bit of valuable question time, I will direct you here.

• Moderators

Can we please not turn this into a slanging match between people?

I can speak from experience that it isn't the done thing to have attendees make personal requests in talks at events. This is generally common practice and, unfortunately in this case and perhaps others, it occasionally slips through. If someone isn't aware of it, then it's simply a case of learning for future reference.

But I will say that the expectation of a 'talk' is to have a Q&A session, whether that be funny/interesting questions or whatever you want to call them. That is what these sessions are for, not for apparent 'memorable' moments like someone getting a hug. I'm not quite understanding how I'd come out thinking 'wow, I saw someone I don't know getting a hug! That was well worth my money!'

Let's just agree to disagree on what's right and what's not, and just hope that the majority play by the rules next time as they usually do. Age, sex, or god knows what else doesn't have anything to do with it. It's simple common courtesy towards fellow attendees, and that's it.

Im 17 so teenage girl, I wasn't at the talk but am glad you got the chance but don't do it again just to annoy people it won't do any good in any situation just think a little more next time. I am not having a go just pure friendly advice :)

I think just like the 'no flash after the first few minutes/sitting down' rule, there should be a 'no personal requests' rule imposed from now on.

In free talks its annoying and a little cringe-worthy, but in paid talks its time people have actually paid for to see the guest talk about their work and life and maybe find out things they didnt have time to at the signing table.

We all want great guest experiences, and I cant blame people for that. But there is a level of 'will this annoy others and take up time' that you have to consider.

Its why I've never asked for complicated poses or quotes from guests. I dont want to keep the people behind me waiting.

Im 17 so teenage girl, I wasn't at the talk but am glad you got the chance but don't do it again just to annoy people it won't do any good in any situation just think a little more next time. I am not having a go just pure friendly advice :)

Oh, I wouldn't actually do that. I'm not that mean. But my apology didn't seem to do anything for them, so I thought I'd play up to their opinion of me being a selfish bitch. At least their replies are entertaining?

I think it would be best if you did lock it. I tried to apologise, but no one seemed to like that, and people were still complaining about me. So yeah, I had a bitchy moment cause I got fed up of it all. I'm sorry for that as well. I really wasn't trying to annoy anyone on the day, but some people seem to be treating this like I attacked them personally. Can we all just please move on from this. It was two days ago. People shouldn't still be upset about this. I will respect you and what you wanted from the talk, as long as you respect me and what I wanted. I really didn't mean to cause trouble.