Clive Barker

i'd just like to say how thankful i was for Clive's commitment to his fans, despite what seemed to be a pretty bad hand injury, he still worked very hard to please many people,

myself and many others had to wait a long time in the very warm section that Clive was signing in,

he seemed to be in a lot of pain and discomfort, yet persevered to do what he could,

he was very friendly and chatty, and very pleased to see my Midnight meat train poster,

and i left pleased to have met one of my favourite authors/producers etc

so thanks again to the legendary Clive Barker

I believe I was about two or three behind you because I saw a bloke with that poster rolling it out to get signed on the table!

He did look in a lot of pain and discomfort while signing yet kept soldiering on through them and even making sure he talked to every one that came up.

I felt sorry for him as it was obviously a bad injury, he kept shaking his hand after every signature but I am so grateful for his commitment to please fans. A friendly bloke and a real treat to meet. I heard he went home earlier than planned, whether that is true or not I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

A big thank you to Clive for coming and SM for getting him.

Edited by ClockworkOwen18

Totally agree with all sentiments regarding Clive; great bloke and I was very happy to finally meet him. Got three sigs' on my japanese B2 poster for Hellraiser.

Edited by Ritchie

i totally agree with every thing good said about clive barker. he could have easily pulled out. but he soldiered on. nothing but great respect for the man. he also was having a laugh and a joke with my sister. while he was clearly in pain. because she brought with her a very old copy of one of his books to sign. made my sisters day. the man is a legend.

I was the 4th or 5th person who met him...

He apologised to everyone in the line about the hand and about the not so good signature.

He was obviously in a lot of pain, but turned up anyway.

He was so nice to chat to and was a really nice guy.

Does anyone know what he did to his hand?

When he came walking to the table, it looked like it wasn't just his hand, but the whole right side of his body.

He was leaning to the right and his head was tilted too.

I was really worried about him.

ClockworkOwen18: Yes, he did go early.

I think he left about 5 o'clock.

Clive is a legend and meeting him today only makes me respect the guy even more.

:angel:

Have to agree, what an amazing guy! You could tell from the trouble he had signing everything, that he was genuinely in a lot of pain, he could barely hold the pen.

So happy to have finally met him, best author I ever read.

clive was just soooo lovely and chatty.

part of me wished i wasnt asking for an auto incase it made him worse signing so many i also wanted to tell him to go home and rest the naughty but i doubt he'd listen bless him.

the man is a totally awesome genius and i wish him a speedy recovery :angel:

Edited by kinkbunny

Completely agree. I had hoped to get my name on the auto, but I didn't care, I just wanted to meet him. What a lovely man. You could see he was in pain, but he was still signing past 3pm. Really lovely meeting with him and he was especially nice to my friend who met him before me.

Thanks Clive :angry:

Agreed, I think it says a great deal about his character & how he feels about his fans that he'd go to such literal pain to make them happy. Most people would have backed out under such circumstances. I hope it's nothing serious & that he makes a full & speedy recovery. He's a lovely guy & I hope to meet him again some time.

From what I had been told he has had a stroke.

I did not get anything signed but I had a Photoshoot with him,

And it was a very good experience he shook my hand asked how I was doing ect the photo was taken he asked me to wait whilst he checked the photo was ok and we where both smiling,

Which he did not need to do but I really appreciated it,

Especially after one of my shoots the photographer on sat must not have checked the pic as the face on Natalie tena was terrible.

From what I had been told he has had a stroke.

To be honest, I suspected that, but didnt want to say anything.

It could well just be a nasty injury though, the side effects of strong painkillers would also give the impression of being ill.

He was an absolutely fantastic man though, by far the best guest I met all weekend. He took a minute to speak to me, and in the two photoshoots I had with him he was happy and willing to talk to everyone and encouraging poses. My photos with him came out the best, in part becuase you could tell he was genuine.

what a great man. Ok, not the best signature on my puzzlebox, but you were warned in advance and think it's cool it is signed by the master.

When in pain, and you keep being so friendly and sincerely cool, you get all my respect!

Maybe it would have been an idea to put Ashley Laurence with him in the sort of office-cube he was sitting in. I mean, because of her eyeproblem and the flash sensitivity. Now you couldn't take pictures around her (even with flash off), even when R2D2 was driving around there, minding his own business, adnd people taking pictures of that. With a cube like mr Barker had, you don't have that problem. Lovely woman by the way (but that another topic)

Clive clearly had had a stoke and personally I think it was a bad move on showmasters as posing it off as a bad hand.

Anyway I think this guy was absolutely amazing. Yes the signed stuff I got doesn't look that great but sadly I think there might not be another opportunity to meet this legend. Most people I'm sure in the same situation would have cancelled but Clive obviously loves and has great respect for his fans and it really did show. He was very chatty and very friendly to me when I met him and I wish him all the best for the future.

*Copied and pasted from my previous entry*

I want to mention Clive Barker-whom was the sole reason i attended. I cannot praise that man high enough, he was a true gent, and feel blessed he spent time to talk to me about my little boy and my first editions i had with me, he signed both which was a great gesture. And i walked away a bit bummed because i could see how much agony he was in and whatever he his going through i wish Clive all the best and to make a speedy recovery. Again words cannot express how great of person he was.

Clive clearly had had a stoke and personally I think it was a bad move on showmasters as posing it off as a bad hand.

Anyway I think this guy was absolutely amazing. Yes the signed stuff I got doesn't look that great but sadly I think there might not be another opportunity to meet this legend. Most people I'm sure in the same situation would have cancelled but Clive obviously loves and has great respect for his fans and it really did show. He was very chatty and very friendly to me when I met him and I wish him all the best for the future.

Why do you think it was Showmasters "posing it off as a bad hand". Having read the notice before it was moved inside his area, it read to me like it was a direct message from Clive and he was saying it was a bad hand.

Why do you think it was Showmasters "posing it off as a bad hand". Having read the notice before it was moved inside his area, it read to me like it was a direct message from Clive and he was saying it was a bad hand.

I would just like to confirm that the posted message and apology about Clive's injured hand was indeed bought to the show by himself and asked to be put up. I find your (gary nichols!) message to be ill-conceived, rude and fairly insulting to both Clive Barker and Showmasters. Perhaps you would do well to consider how your messages will be read in future.

Edited by Evie_Nitram

Myself and my m8t were amongst the first 10 on sat and despite not having his proper sig am still very happy to have met him and he really liked the photo SM provided from his appearence on the south bank show and asked where had i been to take it. In the photoshoot on sund he was quite chatty asking if was enjoying the show, to look after myself. Did ask him if he knew whta he'd done to his hand and if it was any better which he replied no and its f**ked then just laughed. Top bloke and hope he makes a full recovery