Saturday Review

Only one minor negative - people were standing up to take photos in the Harry Potter talk and even after the talk had started, they were still standing up for a good five minutes and no crew told them to sit down.

Totally agree with you! Got on my nerves!

Negative:

- don't understand why people paying on the day entered before pre-paid tickets holders. Not fair and it has been raised before

- sound at the main stage, not always easy to hear the guests

- auction started 30mins late, nothing seemed ready in the area...

- In front of me for meeting Alfie Enoch, a girl. She only chatted with him and asked for a picture. She didn't even pay for his autograph. Confused and I don't think it is really fair!

There were some other girls who seemed to be in front of me at every Harry Potter guest, they just chatted to them for a while, then had their photos taken with them and went away!

unbelievable ! so if it wasn't one off, why did crew allow it?

A bit downside: I saw Natalia Tena and she was very chatty and posing for pictures. I couldn't join her long queue as I had a photoshoot so got other HP guests.

QS told here about Natalia Tena needing a VT. When I came back from the photoshoot, we needed VT and she was doing posed photo anymore (I know it is a bonus). I don't understand why the VT system hasn't been put in place at the start.

Oh bugger. I only guessed this may happen because I remembered from when she was at Collectormania.

It's always a bit of a gamble to figure out who needs tickets and who doesn't. There's only a limited number of crew, and unfortunately not everyone can be pit on VT right away, it would mean that quite possible a lot of crew are in a place where technically they are not really needed.

I know but remembered your message from yesterday. It's been dealt quite quickly (compared to the Phelps twin 2 years ago). Natalia was great with everybody and that matters!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negative:

- don't understand why people paying on the day entered before pre-paid tickets holders. Not fair and it has been raised before

This same thing happend when i attended EMS in London last November. I was standing in the pre pay queue as the people who just arrived on the day and paid were walking past me and getting in! They should be made to get to the back of the pre pay queue in my opinion. Otherwise, why bother pre paying to secure tickets?

Edited by jediknight49

Had a Brilliant day :) thanks showmaster... Karen was really nice and wow she was gorgeous. Got to all my PHotoshoots on time Also met Chris Lloyd, Derek Jacobi, Sarah Sutton,Sophie Aldred, Sylvester Mccoy, Louise Jameson , Camille Coduri, John Leeson they were all fantastic again another big thanks to showmaster for an awesome day :)

I don't think I can find fault in today - we enjoyed it so much, we bought early bird tickets for tomorrow, too, despite intending to only go for the one day.

Although there were three guests I wanted to meet, Karen was my main priority, I've been excited to meet her for weeks and she definitely did not let me down. I was VT number 80, and when I went to get my auto we literally spoke for about 10 seconds, but she told me she liked my Amy cosplay which REALLY brightenend my day, and due to the fact I was shaking like a leaf and nearly in tears she asked if I was alright, and just proved how darn lovely Karen was. The photoshoot went amazingly well, too, and I really enjoyed the talk - it was the first time I've ever asked a question in a talk, so glad it was to Karen. :P She had me smiling all day, and it still feels so surreal knowing I've met her - she was definitely a wonderful guest, I cannot believe she signed over 1000 autos, bless her. She was definitely the highlight of the day.

Anyway, before this turns into a 'I love Karen Gillan' post, like I said everything about the date was wonderful. All seemed well organised, the guests I met and those I went to with friends were all so nice and friendly, and I think the only moment I felt anything other than completely at ease and happy with the day was when everyone was crammed around the photoshoot collection table for Karen photos, but I'd mostly blame that on the fact I was growing insanely chalaustrophobic in the huge crowd, rather than any actual problems. All in all, the day was brilliant - I know I haven't mentioned much, but I'm on my phone and after getting up at 4am, I'm more than ready to sleep, and not too up to thinking - and I'm eager for tomorrow!

Fantastic day for me, my second LFCC and I introduced a friend who I think will be joining every year now too.

My Highlights

Natalia was so friendly, had a great chat, my first Game of Thrones Auto

I confused Brent Spiner by telling him he didn't sound like Brent Spiner :P

Best photo I could have hoped for with Karen.

Was an honour meeting the one and only Mr. Lambert

The Delorean photoshoot was genius, you guys should do this with all the car props you get, I'd have loved to get in the Batman Tumbler last year

Spent hours looking for Darick Robertson, no staff knew who he was... only to find him over with the models instead of in the comic area!

Won 3 Autographs in the auction, and caught a beer mat too (Whoever threw the beermat back and the auctioneer btw... not cool)

My wife got a Hellraiser puzzlebox signed by pinhead himself and a photo too.

Spent far too much money

Got 20 friend streetpass hits on 3DS! (I was Drew if any of ya'll are on here! Kaizokou-o o naru!)

Gonna enjoy getting the pics up and reading stories tomorrow as far too tired now

in no particular order;

at the main photo shoot area,a notice saying all personal items were left at owners risk,despite the fact that we had no choice but surrender our bags etc before going in.....??? and on leaving we were left to pick up whatever stuff we wanted from the table...................so,we are told they are left at our own risk,but given no way to secure them? most peoples bags probably had cameras in,and plus,no doubt all the stuff they had just spent a fortune on throughout the day.

the paid for talks.....first off...nobody even checked my ticket...so i could have just walked in without one.secondly,there always seems to be a bit of a shambles regarding the seat allocation,because you hardly ever end up with the seat you have on your ticket.the seating numbers were not clearly marked...only it seems in the centre aisle,not on the opposite ends of the row,so once it started filling up,you couldnt see the row numbers...and so were pointed in a general direction and told to sit anywhere.making it pointless to book the tickets early to get a good seat,when people were using whatever seat they could find.also noticed despite the announcements about clearing the area at the back for people without tickets,there were still people getting a free show.also upstairs in the balcony area.makes me think next time,why pay? just blag a freebie by standing at the back.

the rugby scrum at the tables to get the photoshoot photos at the end,i counted six people deep at one point,this needs looking at.

er...thats about it i think.......

the staff though may i say,did a brilliant job,well done guys! it must get pretty stressfull at times there,but you all deserve a round of applause.

i had a great(if expensive day...lol)....back for more tomorrow!! :P

Well I had the best time today, it's was insanely busy but awesome! I'm so thankful for my gold pass too!

My guest of the day has to be Karen, what a trooper! Even though she was really busy she did try to interact with everyone or at least looked up and flashed them a smile. Her talk was brilliant and she was a star in the photoshoot saying hi to everyone etc. It was all over very fast but she did the best she could under the time constraints. Lovely lady though...would really love to meet her again some day!

Lea was great too taking the time to chat to everyone and doing posed photos!

Jeffrey was great too, when I asked for a photo with him he jumped up ran around the fable and brought a BTTF hoverboard with him for me to hold! Top bloke :)

All the Harry Potter guests were amazing, more than happy to chat to you and pose for photos!

I could go on but i'm typing on a mobile and I should hit the sack so i'm awake tomorrow!!!

Hope everyone had a brillant day too...and I'll see you tomorrow :)

I had a fab day overall but have 1 big complaint.

I got to the event about an hour before it opened (at 9). Ended up a fair bit round the corner but was fine with that. When it struck 9 the queue started moving but then a bus came up an so the queue was split to let people off the bus to go through the side entrance.

But then we noticed people joining the back of the queue in front of us (where it was split). So here's me and a he'll of a lot of people standing there, who have waited for well over an hour seeing people who just turned up at 9 get in before us... And what was the responce we got from the guy organising the queue? "Well were all going in anyway"

You have no idea how pissed off I felt at that moment. The whole reason why I try and get there early is so that I can get in quickly to get low numberd VQ tickets, but how the queue was organised today I would have been better off not bothering and turning up at 9.

Edit: I was in the pre-bought ticket line.

Edited by Tanith

I got to the event about an hour before it opened (at 9). Ended up a fair bit round the corner but was fine with that. When it struck 9 the queue started moving but then a bus came up an so the queue was split to let people off the bus to go through the side entrance.

A bus? I miss one year and everything gets changed around. :D

And what was the responce we got from the guy organising the queue? "Well were all going in anyway"

Earls Court employee or crew member? If it's been a crew member and you are going back tomorrow please let the Organisers Booth know tomorrow. If it was an Earls Court employee that matches the experiences I had in the past, unfortunately so. They could be no less sympathetic for queue issues. :D

Quick summary, I'll post more tomorrow after some shut eye -

The whole day for me was fantastic overall! This was the first convention I've ever been too and I loved it!

Big thanks to the staff there for being so helpful. They were awesome with making sure I got to meet Corey Feldman :) I'm made up!!

A great day, the crowds were massive and hopefully they made it profitable for showmasters so they can get more great guests next time.

Arrived around 9.30 and was in within minutes with my early bird ticket, grabbed some talk tickets.

Met Derek Jacobi first, he liked my Frasier photo and appreciated the irony that the episode opened with his signing photos at a sci-fi convention.

I had an NYPD Blue picture for my collection from the episode Peter Jurasik appeared in which he liked, seeing Dennis Franz in the picture Peter said I've got soemthing here you might like and delved into a box of photos under his chair. He produced a magnificent b/w photo ( and it looked like he only had one ) of him and Denis Franz on the set of Hill Street Blues, signed it and said it was a present. He absolutely made my weekend, what a great guy, the photo will be treasured.

Met Tom Sizemore and got a Heat photo signed ( thankfully took one with me as there were none on the desk ), he commented it was a rare image and answered a question I had about the film.

Met Joel Gretsch, I started off by asking him what the chances were of him giving me Jacqueline McKenzies phone number, he made out to write it across my photo and was appreciative of my liking the 4400 and answered a question I had about the show.

Had got my other signatures last night so spent more time at the talks, Mark Sheppards was great and I was interested to hear about the BBC daily expenses and food compared to the US shows he worked on. I've never watched Star Trek but knew Brent Spiner's talk would be fun and he kept us all entertained with stories and recollections etc. The Tom Sizemore talk was interesting as he warmed up through it :D , obviously not that at ease with the format to start with by the end he was a lot more expansive and I spent hours thinking about his last answer in which he revealed he ran through $42,000,000 ( yes 42 Million dollars ) whilst he had his problems. The Robert Knepper talk was great and gave some interesting insights into an actors life and process etc. Finished off with the Veronica Cartwright talk which again contained some great stories.

Wow was it hot and crowded ( and some people could use a tin of de-oderant ) but what a great event, already looking forward both to next years and the other Showmasters events before then.

I had a great day, the whole thing was taken up with photoshoots and talks, thank goodness I have tomorrow to get my autos!!!

I have 2 gripes really, the first one being the band Playing over Coreys talk, it was terrible and I really struggled to hear what he was saying and the second one being the ridiculously bossy woman who was sorting out the cosplay parade, I was in the midst of moving from where I was as she was shouting at people to move when the next thing I know her hand is on my shoulder and is physically pushing me out of the way, I was not impressed to say the least my advice to you if you're on here is to learn some people skills and not manhandle the paying customers!!!!!

On the whole though the day was brilliant and I could not believe how busy it was, all the guests I met today were fantastic and very friendly, Lea Thompson told me how pretty I looked (yeah right!!) how that woman looks so good at 50 I'd love to know! And had a fab chat with Robert Knepper about how scary T-bag is but also how charming he is.

Plus Stanislav is my new crush, he has such pretty eyes!!!!

Thanks for a great day and can't wait to do it all again tomorrow :-)

Finished off with the Veronica Cartwright talk which again contained some great stories.

Ah, was that good? I really wanted to see that but was so tired I just couldn't face hanging around another hour with not much to do to catch it. Did meet her friday though and had a throughly interesting little chat about how iconic Alien was and how well it still stands up. She seemed to find it funny that people have tried to copy elements of it over the years but not very effectively.

Most of the questions were Aliens related, but she spoke about how Alfred Hitchcock treated her and not being able to hang around much with Shirley McLaine due to her foul mouth ( McLaines not Veronicas ). Now alright I know she was a child actress but how do you talk about names like that and Audrey Hepburn and still look so good !

Earls Court employee or crew member? If it's been a crew member and you are going back tomorrow please let the Organisers Booth know tomorrow. If it was an Earls Court employee that matches the experiences I had in the past, unfortunately so. They could be no less sympathetic for queue issues. ;)

Think it was an Earls Court employee.

Luckally I still had a brilliant day after that but someone could easily have missed out on low VQ tickets or whatever the reason they got there earlier for.

Think it was an Earls Court employee.

Luckally I still had a brilliant day after that but someone could easily have missed out on low VQ tickets or whatever the reason they got there earlier for.

I know this is kind of a scary thing to say, but actually the guys at Earls Court did get a lot better with queue management. ;)

Went with my little 9 year old brother today for my first LFCC but not my first con. Absolutely astounded at the crowds, never felt so claustrophobic.

However we had a fantastic time, Cosplayers, bravo - I could barely stand the heat in civvies so god knows how they were coping.

Karen is an absolutely amazing guest, extremely considerate with the youngling, and remembered him in the auto session after the shoot, which made his day.

Mark Sheppard also, despite a large queue behind him, takes the time to talk to my brother about his football team, his best Who moments, and his own children of a simiar age.

Sir Derek Jacobi - nothing less than an honour, and my brother was extremely nervous meeting him, however Mr. Jacobi took it in his stride and was extremely child-friendly.

Funniest moment - attendee walks off after photo w/ Karen and Malcolm beckons him back for it to be redone, the crew member is dazing off and doesn't realise, rushes after him only to be reprimanded in front of everyone by Malcolm - "You - you need to stay awake!". Under her breath I distinctly saw "f**k sake - idiot" poor girl.

Although for the no. of people i've heard rumoured to have appeared today (well in excess of 30k), Showmasters did a commendable job at organising, and with the funds they will most definitely gain from this weekend, I expect the same next year!

Kudos all.

I've been coming to lfcc for years, but this was my best event yet. Also the first one I had to bring my 6 year old with me, as hubby on stag weekend, and I was dreading it, but he was made to feel so special and welcome and loved it. We arrived too late to meet karen (he's only got short legs) but I'd booked him for the photoshoot anyway. Picked up a VT for Corey and went to meet Sylvester McCoy - what a nice man! Happy to have Isaac round his side of the table for photo. My son very impressed.

Sophie Aldred - Isaac described his fave scene of hers ('when you shouted 'who you calling small?' an' hit it wiv a baseball bat an' jumped out ovva window') - she said it was her favourite scene too and her 8 year old son said loudly 'that's mummys' best line' - it was priceless. She came out from behind the table and crouched down on the floor for a picture with Isaac, cuddling him! So lovely!

Stephen Furst - asked Isaac if he liked Toy Story & told him he did the voice of (I've forgotten!) and so he had to watch it again and see if he could hear him (aww). Then he asked him what cartoons he liked and they had a conversation about Tom & Jerry - both their favourite cartoon - it's just as well he wasn't busy! really nice and friendly.

Peter Jurasik - also very interested in Isaac, and gave him a free gift - an autograph on a postcard of his character from Tron and told him to make us put it on for him and to 'look out for this' - he then acted out his death scene in Tron! (full, leaning back in chair, tongue out, making 'bleuugh' noises! Not what you expect of Londo Mollari!). He was pleased my husband was jealous of me meeting the two of them while I was jealous of him being in prague on a stag weekend and talked about being half czech. Interesting and so down to earth!

Richard Hatch - talked to Isaac more than to me (s'fine, I was a little..flustered...) and ended asking him to high five, then low five, then side five, then high fifty...they were there ages, with richard counting...Isaac thought he was brilliant! (so did I).

Karen Gillan photo shoot - not too long a queue, and organised quite well, but I didn't like being suddenly faced with having to leave my camera bag with a £700+ camera in it, on a table where anyone could take it. Equally, by this stage I couldn't really tell my six year old we wouldn't be going to meet amy pond after all, and I'm also not comfortable with him going out of my sight behind those walls either. 'Left at your own risk' my spam. - i risk my sons safety or my cameras - or tears, refunds, and tantrums if we hadn't done it (and that's just me, haha). I know every handbag etc is precious, but maybe somewhere more guarded for the over £500 stuff? Or, as it was clipped to my back and not in the way, check while in the queue that it's not full of weapons & let me continue wearing it? I dunno - even warning us on the photo shoot ticket / letter or any where on the website that bags would not be allowed in and I might have done it differently. I was too worried about my camera being safe to enjoy my son meeting one of his idols. He liked it though and the photos are gorgeous.

Collecting the photos was not gorgeous and I had to bring him with me as again, can't leave a 6 year old unattended in the hall - so we joined the throng - and he got elbowed in the face 3 times. (twice by the same person! I was vocal!). I'm not saying 'i'm special as i have child with me' but there's got to be something different. I know this was a scrum for everyone but to be honest separating out the photos of Karen WITH CHILDREN would have meant we could have found them quicker and potentially would have been less crowded around those pictures & therefore safer for the children having to come collect them.

Last guest was Corey Feldman and I'm so very grateful to the man on the queue who allowed me in even though my ticket was 494. If m son hadn't been with me I would have arrived much sooner! Lady on the photo desk was nice (laughing when hubby rang from prague & can only ring once a day and I sent him away as I was about to meet Corey!). He was lovely. I managed to speak relatively coherently (so an improvement from meeting Corey Haim) and we chatted about his films being suitable or not and how we'd move on to the rest as Isaac has only seen the Goonies. (Gremlins next, maybe?). He also guessed isaacs age correctly (first one to do so) and told us it was because he has a 6 year old - bless). He posed for a pic and was just delightful and I have been crazy about him for 2o years but was never in a position where I *could* meet him - so a real lifetime wish come true.

Had a nice chat with the lady on / near the closed Christopher Lambert table who seemed to enjoy Isaac - he got all 'his' autographs out and showed them off, it was quite cute - and on the way out bumped into sylvester mccoy again who donked isaac with his hat whilst saying goodbye, put it back on his head, and then repeated this until Isaac was giggling like a loon and needed a wee! It was just a nice little touch of how friendly *everyone* was today and how welcome everyone made isaac feel - he'll be talking about this for weeks and I think I will too!

Thank you Showmasters for a perfect day - my feet are killing me and I have no cash left, but my boy and I had the nicest day together we've had in months and it's made memories forever.

Edited by clairefun

First LFCC in a while and had a very pleasant day although my poor feet are now aching terribly! I only went for Derek Jacobi and Karen Gillan and both were sheer class. Derek was just an absolute delight and I was so impressed with Karen, hundreds of photos, thousands of autographs and being asked the same question quite a lot by little ones in the talk and yet she was polite, funny and utterly, utterly charming. A really wonderful guest. Arthur next time please!

I did have some minor gripes:

Like others I have never quite understood why the pay on the day queue is allowed in at the same time (or indeed before as i understamd they were today) as the pre pay queue. I know it has been explained before that both sets are paying the same early entrance fee and so should be treated equally but strategically if you want a low VQ ticket for a guest you're almost always going to have a better chance being in the pay on the day queue as it's always so much smaller. Presumably the money that comes in via pre paying for the ticket assists in putting on the actual show, it would be a nice gesture to let those who put their faith in the organisers and paid in advance to benefit from say a 10 minute head start before the pay on the day queue goes in?

In terms of things that are really easily fixable I have to say I wasn't thrilled with the bag check situation at the Karen Gillan photoshoot. I've been coming to events for years and so am used to handing my bags over. I understand why it's necessary and that's fine. But previously the bags have always been placed in a cleared space on the floor well away from the thronging crowd with an ever present crew member or two there (I think you even attached raffle tickets to the bags at one point). But today the bags were left on a table right next to where crowds were gathering and walking past. There was absolutely nothing to stop someone simply strolling past and grabbing a bag or two on their way out. My bags were fine but I would be very reluctant to leave them like that again. Very risky. The bags really needed to be placed somewhere where someone walking past the photoshoot area can't simply reach out and take them. Really easily fixable.

And the photoshoot collection was a nightmare. No easy way of doing it I know. The ideal would be to have the photos behind the crew and have them be able to find ones for people and hand them over (a lot of the photos were being not too gently handled by people grabbing theirs in haste) but I can see how that would take a long time. But it was a nightmare and things were getting quite heated. Perhaps have one table where people can fill iin forms if they want their photo posted to them away from the main collection area to prevent people being in the way of the photos when filling their forms in and at the least make sure all the photos of the one guest are together as it was impossible to go from one end of the table to another!

I've had a great weekend at LFCC, possibly my favourite yet.

I got to Earls Court at about 8:15, the pre-paid queue was insanely HUGE! :o Managed to get into the venue about an hour later and rushed to collect Karen's virtual ticket, managed to get around 350 which wasn't too bad.

I decided that I'd get autographs from Kenny Baker and David Prowse too, something I hadn't really considered doing before, but everyone seems to have met them and I felt I should too ;) They were great though, had nice little chats with them, Kenny seemed especially nice and enjoyed drawing sound effects onto the R2D2 photo which was a bit amusing.

I went to a couple of free talks too, Walter Koenig and Brent Spiner (got their autographs too) and they were both good. I especially liked Brent's talk, he's very funny and does amazing impressions of Patrick Stewart. I'd love to see them on stage together with Brent impersonating Patrick.

Straight after the Brent Spiner talk I went to get Karen's photo shoot. Was pretty nervous about it, but got myself a nice hug from Karen which put me in a warm and fuzzy mood for the rest of the day :P

However, I must admit that I'm rather disappointed with the TARDIS in the photo, I was expecting it to cover the whole of the background but it only covers half. In my photo you can barely tell it's the TARDIS, it's just a blue door with one window, there's no "Police Box" or the sign on the door visible to really make it identifiable. Still, I enjoyed meeting Karen and getting the hug so I can live with it.

After my photo shoot I went to Karen's talk, couldn't see a thing though, too many heads and hands in the air blocking my view :( Was a decent talk though.

I then went to meet Karen and get her autograph. I was wearing a t-shirt that had a photo of Matt Smith grinning and putting his thumbs up, with the text "I fixed Amy Pond's crack. All it took was a big bang". So I pointed it out to her and asked her what she thought, she laughed and liked it which was a relief and cheered me up even more :D

It was a very hot day though, especially inside the venue. Could do with some decent air conditioning, though I suppose Showmasters have no control over that. One other thing I wasn't too happy about was the organisation (or lack of) for the talks. I think it was handled better last year, with queuing, ticket checking, everything. This year it was all a bit of a mess.

Still, on the whole a great event and I'm sad to be home now, I'd much rather be back at LFCC (preferably another day with Karen though :P)

Most of the questions were Aliens related, but she spoke about how Alfred Hitchcock treated her and not being able to hang around much with Shirley McLaine due to her foul mouth ( McLaines not Veronicas ). Now alright I know she was a child actress but how do you talk about names like that and Audrey Hepburn and still look so good !

Cool. Thanks for posting that. Wish I could have stayed but knowing I have to do it all again today I was too tired to hang around. Lovely lady. In fact everyone has been marvellous.

What an amazing event thanks SMS.

Got there at about 7.15 after being so tired and getting off at the wrong station first thing in the morning good start !!!

By about 8.30 alot of newbies arriving and realising where the end of the queue was .. Rookie mistake. We got to see alot fo the guests arriving..

A Cup of coffee and a Bacon Roll later it was time to go in....

Too Tall was in his usual position and did not see any runners !!!!! gutted.

Tom Sizemore was a legend and made me laugh when he was asked by the SMS team if he wanted coke or diiet coke he replied none of the "B*** S***" give me full fat.

Spoke with Robert Knepper and he told us his stories about K Sutherland and G Clooney another Legend.

All the other guests were great to talk to they were all up for the event apart from Lisa Marie who signed our auto whilst finishing her make up and didn't even talk to us...

Deloreon photo shoot was way cool.. Couldn't resist...

Brought loads of good stuff plenty of choices on the stalls

Left about 2 ish we could not believe the size of the queue to get in it has to be one of the busiest events by far... and still shattered

Only 12 months till the next event can't wait... amazing job by all welll done...

I'm posting to say thank you so much to all the staff and team at Comic Con who gave me the best day of my life so far!

The staff were lovely! From TooTall to the main guys on the Karen Gillan door. It was such a busy day but I highly enjoyed it.

And best of all- I MET KAREN GILLAN!

Thank you all so much for the day and I seriously wish I was there today.

Just wanted to say how great Morgan Sheppard was. Whilst we were waiting he was talking to the guys in front of us about Gettysburg. He told a couple of stories about his time on set and was really enthusiastic about the whole thing. Then when I strolled up and handed him my copy of Wild At Heart he groaned and laughed. Wasn't sure if that was good or bad to begin with, but it turns out that Mr Reindeer was one of his favourite roles, and just as before, he reeled out a couple of very entertaining stories about his time on set and working with the legendary David Lynch. He seemed genuinely pleased to be doing the whole thing and came across as a pretty decent bloke.