football fan or movie geek?

I'm a movie, TV and comic fan as well as being a Liverpool supporter. I love attending conventions and premieres but standing in Anfield singing You'll Never Walk Alone is pretty awesome as well!!

I’m in to both in a big way and don’t really see why you can’t enjoy films/sci-fi and footy/sport. I also have friends and family who support different football teams but are also into films/sci-fi as well. But I would say if it was a choice between film autos or sport autos I’d almost always go with the sport one (unfortunately I’m missing LFCC to save cash for Sportsmania).

As for seeing football shirts at cons I have seen a few, but mostly from none premier league teams, read into that what you will.

Edited by 18blue78

I love both, am an Arsenal supporter and a movie/tv geek, unfortunately I've encountered more negative views over the years from non-sports fans. Thank goodness for the people who on these forums who seem to respect the different views of others.

Now SM, how about some more Gooners at future events?

In addition to my other loves, I'm also into wrestling and MMA.

I've always found it curious that liking a sport instantly supposed to make you 'cool' or 'alright' though. Sports fans (I'm including myself) routinely spout statistics, dress in tshirts/kit, and live vicariously through it.

Sounds a LOT like cosplay/roleplaying (stats) to me!

Basically, just enjoy the things you love. We're living in a WORLD of geeks. They just don't know it :)

I love Sci Fi and I'm a sports fan too. Last year I attended Collectormania wearing my Everton shirt as I was there to meet various players from the team. I had it on when I had my photoshoot with Kate Mulgrew. I also like Formula 1, and was a big tennis fan back when Steffi Graf was playing.

I got into watching Tennis a bit when doing GSCEs (oh where have the last 18 years gone!) and can tolerate Snooker, but never cared for Football. Hand/Eye coordination lousy, never found a sport I was good at.

Never understood why its such a Hetrosexual sport - last thing I'd want to do is watch two teams of men running around a pitch, but there you go.

So actually MKDons last year is the closest I've ever been to a football stadium!

I'm into both ... at the fear of being mocked here, I am a Bristol Rovers Supporter, gotta support the locals :D

But I love both *ponders wearing my kick at the convention*

Don't worry - I'm a Bournemouth season ticket holder ( fingers crossed for next year )

As a Liverpool fan, I have to say I love both. Though I've never been to a match (coz of money), and movies are cheaper, I see more movies, and watch the Liverpool boys on tv. ;)

Exactly the same as you! I'm also a Liverpool fan. Not been able to get to see them yet as I don't live too near really. Have been to plenty of other matches and even seen England at Wembley. Also LOVE my movies so I don't think there is any segrigation between the two interests really and this is the first I've heard it suggested.

It amazes me that people can say they are a "fan" of a club without ever seeing them play. It's not that expensive to see games (Liverpool were selling tickets on a General Sale to a league cup game for £15 last season....), and if you are genuinely a fan you'd do everything you can to see your team play.

I'm an avid Brighton fan, and go to see as many games as I can despite living in Leeds. I'm also a "movie geek" as well, so you can be both.

Never understood why its such a Hetrosexual sport - last thing I'd want to do is watch two teams of men running around a pitch, but there you go.

You do know they don't spray them with baby oil and have thumping disco music and show tunes playing during the match don't you?!

It amazes me that people can say they are a "fan" of a club without ever seeing them play. It's not that expensive to see games (Liverpool were selling tickets on a General Sale to a league cup game for £15 last season....), and if you are genuinely a fan you'd do everything you can to see your team play.

I'm an avid Brighton fan, and go to see as many games as I can despite living in Leeds. I'm also a "movie geek" as well, so you can be both.

Do yourself a big favour Dante and don’t start pulling at that thread. From personal experience and many, many, many discussions in many, many, many pubs it comes down to what you class as an interested supporter of a team and what you class as a fanatical fan of a football club.

It seems everyone has a different take on it and no one ever agrees…you’ll just end up banging your fist on the table and spilling the beer.

I don't have the luxury of being able to fly from Sweden to Uruguay every week to catch one of the league games. Guess I can't be a fan then. Dear God, all these years I've lived a lie!!!

:D

You do know they don't spray them with baby oil and have thumping disco music and show tunes playing during the match don't you?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

Almost fell off the chiar

I'm into both ... at the fear of being mocked here, I am a Bristol Rovers Supporter, gotta support the locals :thumbup:

But I love both *ponders wearing my kick at the convention*

There is nothing wrong with supporting your local team.

I do have .....(lets call it discussions :thumbup: ) with those Londoners who support the like of a certain North of England team.

nah thats wrestling (ducks and hides)

I felt a strange disturbance in the Force...

I am an Arsenal fan (red level member) and I love Sci-fi movies.

...like a million voices, all screamed out at once...

Same here ...

...and were suddenly silenced.

I love both, am an Arsenal supporter...

Now SM, how about some more Gooners at future events?

Logic dictates an appropriate response:

'Ello 'Ello, We are the Tottenham Boys!

'Ello 'Ello, We are the Tottenham Boys!

And if you are an Arsenal fan, surrender or you'll die,

'Cos we all follow the Tottenham!

COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!

You must do what you feel is right, of course...MTFBWY :thumbup: and Live Long Prosper :thumbup:

Now, now, lets please try to be at least a bit tolerant around here and keep the stupid chants for the games. I have friends who are Spurs fans and while I'm fine with the rivalry at the derby games, I think it's rather sad that you have to be so antagonistic towards some people here just because they support a different team. Very sad when we're here to support our other interests and have been having an interesting debate.

Edited by Rockstar6662

Really?

...Really?

...Really?

(I hope some of the Wrestlings fans get this one...i have to play the heel right now...given the above response to my original post)

Anyways, do I really need to post a disclaimer around this to identify the fact it's supposed to be amusing and not serious i.e. a bit of (themed) banter. I (mis)quoted Star Wars around it...I referred to Logic and Star Trek. If so - apologies I did not, i hope this reply makes that clear and that I do (in fact) not wish to kill any Arsenal fan who does not hand me his sword in surrender (that's how you surrender right? I learned from movies!)

ok, sorry, maybe I'm being over sensitive but this was an interesting thread and I just can't stand and don't get this extreme hatred thing of someone supporting another team. Bit of friendly banter/wind-up, fine but out and out hatred and antangonism just annoys me and here isn't the place for it. My apologies if I didn't get the "humour" in what at face value appears to be a nasty, threatening chant. Maybe I should get my coat....... :wub:

We love both. Me and my husband are both Aston Villa supporters. He met Leslie Nielsen in May 2010 in Birmingham for an Autographica in the morning and then went onto the final home game of that season vs Blackburn - he wore his Villa top in the photo with Leslie, the only convention he's ever attended in a football shirt.