So is this it then for comic guests?

I'm sorry but the line up for comic guests at the minute is pitiful. Every year the line up has diminished and every year SM are saying "next year comics will be bigger than ever!".

There is a wave of amazing British comic creators at the minute that if there happy to come to my local comic shops for the sake of travel being paid then theres no excuse for not being able to get them for a convention. I hate to bash the guys attending at the minute but they are attendants every year and not big hitters from Marvel & DC (apart from Darick Robertson but he's more Dynamite now).

Comic guests are the main reason I go to LFCC and this is the first year where there is absolutely no guests that attract me to going. The show is less that two weeks away and the line up is shocking.

I hate to be the one moaning but i've put my faith in London Film and Comic Con for the past few years saying it'l get better but I am simply shocked at this year's lack of a line up.

Edited by JaySchluffy

• Moderators

It's unfortunate if comic guests are the main reason you come, but truthfully the lineup is never going to be anything comparable to the TV/Movie guest lineup because that's what pulls in the majority of attendees.

Perhaps any original plans for the comic lineup have suffered because of the huge TV/Movie guest list, which no doubt is far bigger and better than SM ever thought it would be when originally thinking about organising this event.

'London Film & Comic Con' is just a name though. We have film guests, and we have comic guests, but we also have television ones, models etc. We have people complain occasionally that there shouldn't be TV guests, but really? I don't think so. And they're not going to change the name.

Hopefully for future events there'll be something better for you, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. There are many things to take into consideration - space, budget etc, and plans do change.

I know it's unlikely it happening, but Stan Lee would bring a lot of people in some time. I know I'd make a big effort to meet him.

Mark Millar would be great too, especially with CLiNT being on shelves.

Some guests could cross both genres. Bob Gale who wrote back to the future also did some very high profile Batman issues for example, or michael j straczynski for another example.

Edited by stevie_g

I go to the event for the whole gambit of guests but I do agree.

I'm not the most knowledgeable comic fan but I do love certain series' and characters that I follow and I've gotten to know the names of certain writers and artists I like and it would be nice to be able to get some DC people. It's sad that only the American cons really get them (because most of them live in America of course, but still.)

I'd love to meet Gail Simone or Paul Dini.

Edited by Vamp_Rouge

I go to the event for the whole gambit of guests but I do agree.

I'm not the most knowledgeable comic fan but I do love certain series' and characters that I follow and I've gotten to know the names of certain writers and artists I like and it would be nice to be able to get some DC people. It's sad that only the American cons really get them (because most of them live in America of course, but still.)

I'd love to meet Gail Simone or Paul Dini.

Paul Dini! Or Bruce Timm. I loved their DC cartoon shows :D

The Comic book alliance will be there debuing their Charity Comic Anthology. We'll have some of the creators there for signings too. I think they should be announced by middle of the week.

Could do to know this soon to know what things to bring to get signed :D

There is a wave of amazing British comic creators at the minute that if there happy to come to my local comic shops for the sake of travel being paid then theres no excuse for not being able to get them for a convention.

Quoted for truth. Ever head of 2000AD? It's only the biggest comic in the UK and responsible for pretty much every British comic writer and artist you've ever heard of. I can't believe none of them would be up for it. If Dan Abnett and Pat Mills were willing to be interviewed by me for my own no-name website, I'm sure they'd be up for this.

I hate to bash the guys attending at the minute but they are attendants every year

Also QFT. Lovely chaps, and I love their work, but it smacks of lazy booking by Showmasters.

I bet it wouldn't be too much hassle to bring on board some UK legends like Adi Granov, Charlie Adlard, Ben Oliver, Barry Kitson, etc...

Please take advise from this post and contact those guests :huh: They're really nice guys and I'm betting they would love to come.

I bet it wouldn't be too much hassle to bring on board some UK legends like Adi Granov, Charlie Adlard, Ben Oliver, Barry Kitson, etc...

Please take advise from this post and contact those guests :huh: They're really nice guys and I'm betting they would love to come.

Agreed.

In the past year my local comic book shop has on a whim contacted Paul Cornell, Charlie Adlard, Dave Gibbons and Andie Tong through their blogs and deviant arts and for the sake of paying £20-50 for travel expenses they were happy to come! And that shop isn't even in London! If there happy to come to an independent comic shop in Hertfordshire theres no reason they wouldn't wan't to come to a convention in central London, they just need to be asked.

A HUGE level of A list comic creators are British and going to waste for a "Comic Con". Also the defence that even though it's in the name it's focus isn't entirely on Comics doesn't fly with me. As someone said earlier, it is called Film & Comic Con, does that mean we have to cut off all television guests? Of course not. But by putting "Comic" in the title, it is giving quite a big assumption to the general public that there will be quite a big focus on comic book's as you would with the fact film is in the con's title.

Edited by JaySchluffy

Any way you can bring Kev Hopgood or/and Mike Allred...

I'd totally love that!!

The Comic book alliance will be there debuing their Charity Comic Anthology. We'll have some of the creators there for signings too. I think they should be announced by middle of the week.

Totally agree!

I hope they get a few more guests in, I'm sure the show will still be good, but it does need a few more comic guests :borg: I'm a comic fan first myself so I feel your pain man.

The guy who I quoted above me said something about some Spirit of Hope guests appearing - http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.com/201...anthology.html/ - I am a fan of some of those guys, so maybe they will bring some cool people... Mike Allread and Kev Hopgood would be incredible (to me atleast).

Agreed.

In the past year my local comic book shop has on a whim contacted Paul Cornell, Charlie Adlard, Dave Gibbons and Andie Tong through their blogs and deviant arts and for the sake of paying £20-50 for travel expenses they were happy to come! And that shop isn't even in London! If there happy to come to an independent comic shop in Hertfordshire theres no reason they wouldn't wan't to come to a convention in central London, they just need to be asked.

A HUGE level of A list comic creators are British and going to waste for a "Comic Con". Also the defence that even though it's in the name it's focus isn't entirely on Comics doesn't fly with me. As someone said earlier, it is called Film & Comic Con, does that mean we have to cut off all television guests? Of course not. But by putting "Comic" in the title, it is giving quite a big assumption to the general public that there will be quite a big focus on comic book's as you would with the fact film is in the con's title.

Mike Allred I wish!

So far we have 9 creators coming with us, there may be a couple of others already booked. I'm leaving it up to the organisers to release details and I'm working on twisting a few more arms. ;-) Oh and this 'guy' is a girl x

Edited by SpiritOfHope

I will say that I'm a first timer, and the 'comic' part did grab my attention when looking for things to go to as I love comics and anime & manga. I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the people on the thread here, but it would be nice to see more names added.

I'll throw an extra name in from the ones I added, (and I realise there's no chance but...) I'd like to meet Ron Marz

Personally I'd love to see something way off the books to suprise and get more of the Manga crowd in. Some original VAs or perhaps some Manga-Ka from Japan.

I know it's not easy but there are some who I know would be willing like Mashima Hiro.

I'm happy that I'll be getting my new Transmet trades signed personally but indeed wouldn't mind a few more comic guests from my collection.

Gerald Way, the author of Umbrella Academy is in London that weekend... it.would.awesome if he could come along.

That'd be GERARD Way :D but yes I agree, he'd generate a LOT of business and press not to mention the UA is awesome and rumoured to be turned into a film. I did email Showmasters about this a couple of weeks ago so they are aware he's around.

Gerald Way, the author of Umbrella Academy is in London that weekend... it.would.awesome if he could come along.

That'd be GERARD Way :D but yes I agree, he'd generate a LOT of business and press not to mention the UA is awesome and rumoured to be turned into a film. I did email Showmasters about this a couple of weeks ago so they are aware he's around.

Blooming autospell on my phone... you know who i meant you cheeky wench!!!!

SHUT UP is he?!?!?!