music guests

braveboy1

• 3 months later...

I've always felt that music guests are one of the few areas that hasn't been properly explored at the shows yet (well apart from the music one we had at MK).

There are so many possibilities as guests, and at Autograhica I'd very much like to see some added into the mix.

My personal tastes are mainly for older artists anyway, so this would be the show to have them at.

I met Pete Best when he did Autographica at Northampton, and I met him after a gig in Leamington Spa around the same time, and he was great to meet both times, so I'd definitely welcome him back. A talk from him would be fascinating too.

Other suggestions -

any of the Shadows

Ray Davies, Dave Davies or Mick Avory from the Kinks

Tommy Steele

Joe Brown

Marty Wilde

Mick Taylor, ex Stones

Gerry Marsden

Spencer Davis

Dave Clark

Sandie Shaw

Petula Clark

Phil May and Dick Taylor from The Pretty Things

any of the Sex Pistols

any of the surviving members of the Clash

and if we could ever have any US based music guests -

Jerry Lee Lewis

Chuck Berry

any of the surviving Beach Boys

any of the Monkees

Tommy Ramone - last surviving original member of the Ramones

and anyone from Motown such as

Mary Wilson from the Supremes

Otis Williams - last surviving original member of the Temptations

Abdul "Duke" Fakir - last surviving original member of the Four Tops

Smokey Robinson

and of course the labels founder Berry Gordy

and talking of the Beatles there are other guests that could be invited who would appeal to fans of the band like me -

Sir George Martin of course

Sir Peter Blake

Astrid Kirchherr

Klaus Voormann

Richard Lester

the surviving members of the Quarreymen would be popular for Beatles fans too - Rod Davis, Colin Hanton, John Duff Lowe, Pete Shotton, Len Garry. Great to have a photo shoot with them.

Jimmie Nicol would be very interesting to meet - the drummer who stood in for ill Ringo for concerts in 1964.

But he could be difficult to get as he usually doesn't talk about that time.

The legendary photographer Robert Freeman would be an excellent guest for Beatles fans too. Their favourite album cover photographer, working on five of those iconic cover images that we all know so well, and on their film posters and more.

I'd love to get those covers and posters signed by him and I'm sure most Beatles fans would like that.

Info on him at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Freeman_(photographer)

Ready Steady Go! presenter Cathy McGowan

and

Jack Good, producer of classic TV music shows Six-Five Special and Oh Boy! (I believe he's back living in England now in Oxfordshire)

would also be interesting music related guests.

But theres certainly a massive range of older music stars still with us who would fit in perfectly with the line up at Autographica.

I echo Spocks-Brain - a lot of those suggestions would be superb.

I also think that music is vastly under-represented at events. You see the very odd music guest every so often, but when you think of the amount of musicians, retired pop acts, one hit wonders, former band members, pioneers, composers, producers, etc, etc that there are out there, we really haven't even started to scratch the surface!

I'd really like to see Autographica focus on this area for future shows. It's always been a very different type of show to the other SM run events and this could set it further apart - after all, it's an Autograph collectors show rather than a Memorabilia/TV & Movie collectors show with guests signing as a side.

Would be interested to here from Dave on this & the other SM guys thoughts. Is there something that would be considered prohibitive in terms of bringing music guests in (i.e - from experience, are their costs higher?). I don't really understand the lack of representation in this area and just wonder if a trick is being missed?!

• 4 months later...

I also think that music is vastly under-represented at events. You see the very odd music guest every so often, but when you think of the amount of musicians, retired pop acts, one hit wonders, former band members, pioneers, composers, producers, etc, etc that there are out there, we really haven't even started to scratch the surface!

I'd really like to see Autographica focus on this area for future shows. It's always been a very different type of show to the other SM run events and this could set it further apart - after all, it's an Autograph collectors show rather than a Memorabilia/TV & Movie collectors show with guests signing as a side.

Would be interested to here from Dave on this & the other SM guys thoughts. Is there something that would be considered prohibitive in terms of bringing music guests in (i.e - from experience, are their costs higher?). I don't really understand the lack of representation in this area and just wonder if a trick is being missed?!

I totally agree with you about these acts being under-represented. I think there needs to be a separate convention along the lines of Collectormania, accept just for musicians. I'm convinced this would go down as well as the film stars.

I totally agree with you about these acts being under-represented. I think there needs to be a separate convention along the lines of Collectormania, accept just for musicians. I'm convinced this would go down as well as the film stars.

An event called MusicMania was run several years ago by SM but from what was said on here it didn't sound like it was a roaring success. It probably didn't help that it received some negative press attention after the show as well.