A question for Showmasters...

I am really looking forward to this event, and i honestly believe that this could probably be the best event you guys have ever put together.

I have never had a list of people I want to meet this big before at any other events, so well done and thank you for your hard work.

I really appreciate the time you guys put into getting big guests signed up.

The question i want to ask is this... is the day going to get ruined by most guests having the dreaded "NO POSED PHOTOS" sign behind them?

This is the only part of Collectormania and LFCC that i really don't like.

I completely understand if the guests has a HUGE line of people waiting to meet them and they need to speed things up a bit, but i really don't like the idea of the guests being told that they are not allowed to do it just so more people will pay more money for the photo op.

I have had a couple of photo ops before even if the guests were allowing over that table pictures so i think that it's just being a bit mean and should still give the customers and guests the choice. :YAHOO:

Please please please don't put the sign behind the guests unless they are super busy and you really need it there.

It's the only thing that sometimes helps me decide whether to meet some of them at all.

I will always continue to go to your events as i believe they are the best in the country.

Thanks guys.

Rich :thumbup:

• Moderators

As Grazer said above, it's not something that is always passed on by Showmasters themselves.

There can be numerous reasons, coming from the guests themselves to the agents, and it's down to Showmasters to put the signs up and keep the guests happy.

Showmasters don't choose to put them up unless they really have to, or have been asked to, because they know people like to get photos where possible. It's not something they're unaware of.

• Moderators

I wouldn't say that myself. Showmasters do not stop photos at the desk simply because there's a photo shoot scheduled, so I don't want anyone getting that impression.

It's nice that there are options to have photo shoots OR photos at the desk if people choose, and this often happens.

For a photshoot you are paying for a professional photographer to take the photo with proper lighting, with the guest in a relaxed pose and then the print will be made for you to take home.

An over the table shot may not come out very well, have people walking by in the background, pose not looking natural etc.

So you could argue that the fee for the photoshoot is paying for the extras, rather than an actual photo with the guest.

For a photshoot you are paying for a professional photographer to take the photo with proper lighting, with the guest in a relaxed pose and then the print will be made for you to take home.

An over the table shot may not come out very well, have people walking by in the background, pose not looking natural etc.

So you could argue that the fee for the photoshoot is paying for the extras, rather than an actual photo with the guest.

What he said /\/\!

• Moderators

Photos at the desk have been done since these events started. The introduction of professional photo shoots was as an ALTERNATIVE, not a REPLACEMENT.

No autographs can be signed anywhere but at the desks when they are paid for. But photos may well be allowed at the desk.

People can choose to either buy shoots or take the chance that perhaps they can get one at the signing.

so ok lol so ur saying at a photoshoot i should get the guest to squiggle something on a piece of paper as you can get an over the desk picture at an auto lol x im outta here lol x you guys are nuts! :YAHOO::thumbup:

You know that white powder should only be sniffed in very small amounts

I agree with this, I know that it isn't always Showmasters choice to put the signs up but being on a tight student budget, I can't afford the professional shoots. I always have my fingers crossed that the guests will do posed photos.

This year I'm heading for Chris Lloyd who I know I won't get a posed photo with so I am going to see if I can take a picture of him signing; Shawnee Smith and Corey Feldman, I am hoping desperately that they will allow posed photos.

so ok lol so ur saying at a photoshoot i should get the guest to squiggle something on a piece of paper as you can get an over the desk picture at an auto lol x im outta here lol x you guys are nuts! :YAHOO::thumbup:

Can anyone translate? I'm being thick!

Agree. I have no objection at all to desk photos though I do feel for the guest when I see them standing up, sitting down, standing up etc for every person. If you can get one then great but I wouldn't want it stopped just because there's a formal shoot as well. You're paying for a lot more than just the picture but as has been pointed out, there may be many reasons why the signs go up. Personally I go along with the attitude that I'm paying for the autograph and meeting the guest and anything else is a bonus. At least I know the autograph is real which is the main thing.

Having had a taste of a proper shoot at CM17 with Tony Head, I really like the way they come out and have 9 booked for the weekend and wish I'd had the money to do it sooner. I did also get one at the desk with him and in the past would probably have been happy with that but it totally highlights the issues raised above. The proper one is a million times better. Would be nice if they were a fraction cheaper but costs need to be covered.

Me too. I think he (or she) is trying to say that if you can get a photo at the desk when buying an autograph when you've paid for the autograph, why can't you try and get the guest to sign a piece of paper when you're at the photoshoot?

Something like that I think.

Agree. I have no objection at all to desk photos though I do feel for the guest when I see them standing up, sitting down, standing up etc for every person. If you can get one then great but I wouldn't want it stopped just because there's a formal shoot as well. You're paying for a lot more than just the picture but as has been pointed out, there may be many reasons why the signs go up. Personally I go along with the attitude that I'm paying for the autograph and meeting the guest and anything else is a bonus. At least I know the autograph is real which is the main thing.

Having had a taste of a proper shoot at CM17 with Tony Head, I really like the way they come out and have 9 booked for the weekend and wish I'd had the money to do it sooner. I did also get one at the desk with him and in the past would probably have been happy with that but it totally highlights the issues raised above. The proper one is a million times better. Would be nice if they were a fraction cheaper but costs need to be covered.

Me too. I think he (or she) is trying to say that if you can get a photo at the desk when buying an autograph when you've paid for the autograph, why can't you try and get the guest to sign a piece of paper when you're at the photoshoot?

Something like that I think.

Ah thanks.....must say I TOTALLY agree!

NOT!

• Showmasters Admin

He's suggesting that if you're allowed to ask for a free posed photo when getting an autograph, then why not ask for a free autograph when getting pro photo shoot.

• Moderators

He's suggesting that if you're allowed to ask for a free posed photo when getting an autograph, then why not ask for a free autograph when getting pro photo shoot.

Why not? Because they'd get a very angry you + security running after them, and that scares me just thinking about it :thumbup:

Gold's go up for photos first, then with silver pens next, then black markers...... :P

What about those who can only afford crayons? :blink:

They wont mind as they would of spent all their money on a highlander auto earlier !

Gold's go up for photos first, then with silver pens next, then black markers...... :P

What about those who can only afford crayons? :blink:

They wont mind as they would of spent all their money on a highlander auto earlier !

In the words of Aaron Douglas, well played!

I am happy if this is not Showmasters decision, but when i was at Collectormania 17, i overheard and also read on the forum about guests refusing a posed photo because they were told not to so that more people went to the photoshoot.

Either way, i will keep my fingers crossed as to whether the people i want to meet will allow me to lean. :blink:

I am happy if this is not Showmasters decision, but when i was at Collectormania 17, i overheard and also read on the forum about guests refusing a posed photo because they were told not to so that more people went to the photoshoot.

Either way, i will keep my fingers crossed as to whether the people i want to meet will allow me to lean. :blink:

thank you! i read that too and i agree with them! :P but its just my personal opinion. anyway bored now. good night all.

Edited by guardianz

• Moderators

I wouldn't say that myself. Showmasters do not stop photos at the desk simply because there's a photo shoot scheduled, so I don't want anyone getting that impression.

It's nice that there are options to have photo shoots OR photos at the desk if people choose, and this often happens.

Or both :blink:

Well, obviously if you wanna be greedy .. :P

• Showmasters Admin

Lets clear this up again :blink:

The guests and their agents have the right to say they don't want table photos. It can be for whatever reason, sometimes it's simply that the guest is jet lagged and doesn't want to spend all day getting up and down for photos. I will not deny that sometimes it's because the guests doesn't feel they should give something away for free that others are paying for. Or the guests agent may "believe" stopping over table photos will mean more photo shoot sales, and tell their client this. But whatever the reason it is THEIR decision, never SMs.

Let me make it clear that SM always encourage the guests to do photos at the table. I have personally seen Jason have some serious discussions with agents about it, backing the rights of the attendees to get proof of authenicity.

The decision to stop photos will ONLY EVER come from SM because they believe there will be an issue getting all of the autographs done if they allow them.

And yes it does take more time to allow them, you may think "but it's only 2 seconds to take a photo!". We have done tests and it can make a difference of over 50% to allow them. That means the difference between getting 600 people through and 900. If we have given out 900 VTs, it's simply not fair to allow the first 600 to get a photo knowing the last 300 are likely to not get an autograph AT ALL!

I've been at times where people have stopped doing personalised autos because of running out of time..... And if that's stopped by people not being allowed photos at the desk I'm all for it. If they don't want a photo then people should just repect that unfortunetly. That and there have been times I've seen guests do pictures and refuse others during the day, dnt seem fair. I'd rather have my pic taken my malcolm and look half decent anyway, just means a little extra time saving ( and alot of work on malcoms part lol)

• Showmasters Admin

i think we all know that we at showmasters would like to leave it up to the guest and your self ig you want to take a photo at the table if the guest asks us to stop photos at the table we will do just that as we want to make them happy .

and the only other time this happens if a guest is very slow or if we know lots of people that have come along way to the event and lots of them are not going to get seen then we will put the no photos at the table rule in play , as we want you all to go away with what you have come down for , and if taking photos at the table stops 100s of fans meeting a guest its the right thing to do stopping it , most of the time we let it go for a few hours till we get a idea of how many the guest is likely to get though doing photos and if they are really not going to happen then we stop the photos at the table , its fair for everyone and as they are there to sign autos and thats what you are paying for we feel its fair, getting a photo at the table is an extra not a right, but if we can leave it in play we are happy to let it happen as we to are fans and would like it if we were in the line for a auto as well.

so as you can see we try to be fair and do the right thing for everyone at the event .

i hope you can all see this .

i am going to close this topic now as most of this has been talked out now and we have talked about this before

thanks and i look forward to seeing you soon

take care

jason