Any advice for a First Time Convention Attendee?

Hi folks,

This will be my first time attending a major event like this. There are approx 20 guests I would like to get their autogrpahs off. Now I have the early bird tickets for Saturday and Sunday and Im staying in London.

Ive never been to Earl's Court before or the LFCC and would really appreciate any tips or suggestions regarding this event, such as queues, lunches, talks etc. At the moment im only planning on two photo ops, Christopher Lloyd and (possibly Erin Gray and Gil Gerard).

Thanks for your help on this folks, really appreciate it:)

• Moderators

Where to start? Firstly, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy it here and at the event itself!

With 20 guests, I'd say make sure you prepare and prioritise beforehand.

Know which ones you're going for on which days, and work out the busiest ones to get 'virtual queue' tickets for straight away. These are given out at the signing queues, one per person, and are numbered to enable you to queue for the autographs. Once the number is higher than yours, you can go in.

Other than that, work out schedule clashes with photos/talks if there are any, and make sure you have time for breaks and don't overdo it!

Remember to have fun, it can get a bit manic .. and ask any questions on here or at the event itself if anything's unclear. We're all here to help :(

Where to start? Firstly, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy it here and at the event itself!

With 20 guests, I'd say make sure you prepare and prioritise beforehand.

Know which ones you're going for on which days, and work out the busiest ones to get 'virtual queue' tickets for straight away. These are given out at the signing queues, one per person, and are numbered to enable you to queue for the autographs. Once the number is higher than yours, you can go in.

Other than that, work out schedule clashes with photos/talks if there are any, and make sure you have time for breaks and don't overdo it!

Remember to have fun, it can get a bit manic .. and ask any questions on here or at the event itself if anything's unclear. We're all here to help :(

Thanks David, I'm really looking forward to this, so much to take in over the weekend and so many really great guests, no to mention the shops and traders and stuff, cant wait:)

My main advice would be to get there as early as you can to queue up and think about the order you want to see the guests and how popular they might be. Some will be far more popular than others, so you'll want to get in and get VQ tickets for those as quickly as possible. Some may only be there on one day so go for those first as well, of you miss others on saturday then you get a second chance on sunday.

Some guests you'll probably find you can just go up to at any time or will have short queues you can join. So get your tickets for the main guests and visit the quieter ones while waiting for you numbers to come up for the others.

I've not been to LFCC before for various reasons so not sure how busy it gets and it's hard to know how popular some guests may or may not be but as I can only probably go on saturday and have quite a lot I want to try and so I've bought a gold ticket which will let me join any queue at any time to help save time and mean I don't have to queue up outside too early either. Obviously that's not an option for everyone due to the cost and limited numbers but it's something to consider.

Edit* - ah, DavidB beat me too. I've duplicated most of what he said but it's all very good advice.

Edited by Rockstar6662

• Moderators

If you want any help with maybe prioritising guests or whatever, we can probably give a vague idea of who might be busiest etc.

Obviously take into account who's there on what days, or else you'll be there on Sunday searching for someone you didn't get round to on Sat and they're not there :( haha

My main advice would be to drink lots of water and remember to eat! (I find this one very important myself as you can easily get carried away and forget in all the excitement.)

Food is for wimps. You get through the day on pure adrenalin. Lol.

Actually very good advice. It can be a very long day. To be honest many guests seem to go to lunch around the same time so there is often a fairly natural time when it goes a bit quieter.

And however said something to keep your autos in. Also essential. If you're taking a personal item to be signed might also want to consider your own pen that you can check will work on the item ok. Some have recommended that elsewhere.

And remember to enjoy yourself and don't get too stressed.

My big piece of advice is to get there nice and early. I'm turning up over 2 hours before doors open and that is just for 1 guest, Karen Gillan.

Chances are that not all 20 guests are really big and you want to see them because you love them for a specific reason that may be individual to you. If you look at their announcements on the forum and they have a lower amount of comments then obviously don't forget about them, but put them to the corner of your mind to begin with.

With the guests with more comments, it is likely that it is because of more people wanting to meet them. This will mean that virtual queueing tickets are more likely to be handed out on the day. This should be your priority when you arrive on the day as the earlier you get them, the more flexibility on when you can do stuff.

If for a guest you get say 47 and on the board it says 1-50, it doesn't mean you have to get it then as they will only ever increase the 50 to (for example) 1-100. It is probably worth getting it then if you are able to, but if it is clashing with a photoshoot or talk for another guest then that should be a priority as they will not be able to ask the guest to do another photoshoot or talk just for you later.

Make 3 lists, 1 list for each day and 1 for both days and put the guests into these lists. Then you know which ones you have to do on the Saturday, which you have to do on the Sunday and which can be done on either. That way on the Saturday afternoon if you have done all of the ones that are there just for that day, you can meet some that are planned to be there on both days.

Hopefully that all helps, but the main thing, enjoy yourself!!!

• Moderators

Bring your money for autographs in £5 notes, as the crew who collect the money for autographs are often very short of these! :D

Very true. Especially those where the guest is £15/£25. Trust me the crew member taking cash will LOVE you if you hand over a bunch of £5 notes.

Main thing really is to enjoy yourself, and don't fret too much. If you aren't sure about something over the weekend or have a problem, DO go ask for help at the organisers' booth, or find a crew member. Problems can only be solved if you point them out at the time!

Bring your money for autographs in £5 notes, as the crew who collect the money for autographs are often very short of these! :D

YES ^^ THIS!!

I'm often found on a cash desk flirting for fivers (or chocolate), and we're all very grateful for every little blue note that we're given!

YES ^^ THIS!!

I'm often found on a cash desk flirting for fivers (or chocolate), and we're all very grateful for every little blue note that we're given!

Crew won't have to worry, I for one, plan on turning up with all five pound notes, lol :P

YES ^^ THIS!!

Crew won't have to worry, I for one, plan on turning up with all five pound notes, lol :P

We've got a cash machine in the canteen where I work which only gives out £5 notes so I always try and stock up before one of these events.

Bring your money for autographs in £5 notes, as the crew who collect the money for autographs are often very short of these! :clap:

YES ^^ THIS!!

Crew won't have to worry, I for one, plan on turning up with all five pound notes, lol :poki:

As of tomorrow I will be saving up my £5 notes, so don't be surprised if I want 5 of Karens autograph and pay with 25 £5 notes...

As a crew member, it is really helpful to pay in £5 notes (coins are a pain).

The advise above is very good, but you can always ask a member of crew for help if needed on the day. We should be wearing the same T-shirts.

A layout of the venue should be available, so that will aid you.

My main advice would be to drink lots of water and remember to eat! (I find this one very important myself as you can easily get carried away and forget in all the excitement.)

People actually have time to eat?? :o

Personally I rarely eat until after im finished for the day, but do take a bottle of water or something with you as it can get quite hot in the halls, and you'll end up paying an arm and a leg at the cafe's inside the hall. :clap:

Very true. Especially those where the guest is £15/£25. Trust me the crew member taking cash will LOVE you if you hand over a bunch of £5 notes.

The amount of times at the last few signings when for say a £15 autograph, ive given over a £20 note AND a £5 (to get a £10 note back which I figure would be easier), the strange looks ive been given until I have to 'nudge' about the whole plan of doing it that way before the penny drops! :poki:

But yes as others have mentioned, £5 notes as many as you can, lists, a folder to put your stuff in, and prioritise guests..busiest first, but also take the day into account like saturday only's, as Ive noticed theres a fair few of them this time. You dont nessecerily need to try for someone who might be busy but is there both days, if you have like 15 people to get saturday, and only 5 sunday (for example).

Didn't really want to start a new thread on this, seemed a reasonable question to put here.

Is there anywhere you can leave bags/coats etc inside the venue? Lockers you can pay for or a cloakroom? I'm thinking of maybe staying overnight on the friday to save going home late and then coming into London again very early on the saturday morning. Would just allow me to maximise the time I have availavle but wondered if I'd need to carry any overnight stuff around the show all day after checking out of the hotel.

Thanks.

Didn't really want to start a new thread on this, seemed a reasonable question to put here.

Is there anywhere you can leave bags/coats etc inside the venue? Lockers you can pay for or a cloakroom? I'm thinking of maybe staying overnight on the friday to save going home late and then coming into London again very early on the saturday morning. Would just allow me to maximise the time I have availavle but wondered if I'd need to carry any overnight stuff around the show all day after checking out of the hotel.

Thanks.

I believe there is a cloakroom located along the right side of the hall as you enter. I have never used it myself so I'm not sure if there is a fee.

Thanks.

I believe there is a cloakroom located along the right side of the hall as you enter. I have never used it myself so I'm not sure if there is a fee.

Thanks. Don't mind about a fee, would expect it to be honest. Just helpful to know in making my decision. Could do without the extra expense but it'd save on train fares and parking costs at the station this end and make things a lot easier overall.

Hi i have also never attended LFCC before and am planning on just coming for the Sat,i can keep costs down if i book set trains but have no idea what time to expect it to wind up,can anyone help with this please?

The event closes at 6pm. Sometimes the odd guest may finish a bit earlier.

Hi i have also never attended LFCC before and am planning on just coming for the Sat,i can keep costs down if i book set trains but have no idea what time to expect it to wind up,can anyone help with this please?

All details are on the website http://londonfilmandcomiccon.com/ it's well worth a look

It states the show closes at 6pm on saturday.

Edit - ooops. Beaten to it by 1of2 again. got to be quick to beat you to a response. LOL!

Edited by Rockstar6662