would you pay this amount to meet these people ?

showmasters

i would be happy to pay this price so i can meet this guest   

425 members have voted

1. 1. if there is the right amount of interest it could happen

• Stan Lee £30
    • Ian Holm £45
  2. 2. 2nd choice

• Hayden Christensen £55
    • Christopher Lee £55
  3. 3. 3ed choice

• Ewan McGregor £50
    • Christopher Lambert £35

• Moderators

stan lee....yes please...legend!! would love to meet him,and at £30 would have thought that was a bargain to meet a childhood comic hero.

others on that list a bit of a grey are though....£55 for hayden christensen?? are you sure this poll isn`t more about finding out how deep the fans will dig,than about what guests they want?? sorry to sound cynical.

i do like the poll idea in general though,gives the fans the chance to choose the guests they want to see.just not so sure about the figures.:headscratch:

SM have always stated that they try to keep the auto prices down as much as possible, around the prices that they are now.

There's no reason why they'd need to be secret about this. These are clearly guests that they would HAVE to pay extra for to get here, and thus charge extra to at least cover costs.

I for one appreciate the opportunity to discuss any possibilities.

I would pay the price for Christopher Lee and Ewan but not if it was a case of lining up then getting an auto then immediately being moved on like cattle. Just 10 seconds with a guest is not a lot to ask if you are shelling out what it takes me to earn in a day. I know you guys do a great job getting some excellant guests but there are limits as to what people will pay for if they get very little in return .

This is not a negative rant and I appreciate that when queues are long people have to ferried through fast so we all get to meet a guest but when it gets to a point your money is taken and you get a fleeting moment without even a photo allowed then it is unacceptable. I know your responce may be something along the lines of "if you dont agree dont pay " but I beleive it is a valid point that these are tough times for us all and shelling out £50 for a few seconds is not on.

I recently met Robert Patrick at Cmania (thanks guys- wanted to meet him for ages). I paid my £20, he was very pleasant and chatty, he let me ahave a quick snap but I was respectful of the others in the queue and took up only 30 seconds. That was worth twenty quid. Thirty seconds with either of the above I would also deem worthy.

I realise that to make the money you have to quicken the pace but I think a balance has to be met.

Once again let me point out this is NOT a negative rant but constructive opinion. I love what you guys do and am thankful for meeting all the guests you have bought over for the past 8 years or so. I dont have the answers but beleive yo guys could probably work out a way of giving the punters a good deal. Thanks for your time guys and look forward to some postive responses. Keep up the great work. :-)

• Moderators

The 'it's tough times' argument also applies to businesses too, which SM is, so they have to consider what they need to cover costs etc or else they'll end up screwed and we'll have no events to go to! So they try to find a balance, but I'd never want them to get into trouble just to give a few people a lot longer with a guest.

It all comes down to personal expectations really, and what each individual wants.

In the end we really are just paying for autographs. That's what these are - signing events. If you can get a photo then that's a bonus, and a little chat is one too. Quite often it's possible, but the biggest and busier the guest is the trickier it is to do this.

Guests like these that are on offer aren't the ones that will be giving a lot of time to each fan. It's just not logistically possible. Unfortunately, depending on the demand, they try to get through as many people as they can which I think is fair.

Anyone who has slightly more expectations of a 'meet' should definitely consider whether it's worth their money or not.

The 'it's tough times' argument also applies to businesses too, which SM is, so they have to consider what they need to cover costs etc or else they'll end up screwed and we'll have no events to go to! So they try to find a balance, but I'd never want them to get into trouble just to give a few people a lot longer with a guest.

It all comes down to personal expectations really, and what each individual wants.

In the end we really are just paying for autographs. That's what these are - signing events. If you can get a photo then that's a bonus, and a little chat is one too. Quite often it's possible, but the biggest and busier the guest is the trickier it is to do this.

Guests like these that are on offer aren't the ones that will be giving a lot of time to each fan. It's just not logistically possible. Unfortunately, depending on the demand, they try to get through as many people as they can which I think is fair.

Anyone who has slightly more expectations of a 'meet' should definitely consider whether it's worth their money or not.

I understand what you say. But does anyone really consider it value to receive a non personalised scribble (a rushed auto is a mess) that is not personalised an not even an acknowledgment from a guest then hurried along as if you are in the way? . I personally am happy with a hello , maybe a personalisation, and (heres another can of worms) a picture taken by someone else (to speed things up) of the auto being done. Not a lot to ask really- however £50 is a lot to ask and there is such a thing a value for money. I dont think Im asking a lot.

On the other hand I know that you guys have to juggle the finances to see if its worthwhile and I for one love the fact you are aiming for higher end guests and not prepared to rest on your laurels. I also know some attendees will hold the queue up by getting all carried away nattering to a guest (again understandable they may have waited years to meet someone they are a fan of). I dont have the answers but hopefully Showmasters will find a happy medium- after all you guys (imo) are the best at this game at the moment and I hope to see these hopes of higher end guests come to a realisation. I think it is also great you have asked for our opinions (even if they are a little long winded .. ahem! sorry!). Thanks again guys.

On the whole business/time with the guest-thing -

Personally I don't expect the big prolonged chat with the guest.

But at the very least the person getting things signed should be in front of the guest during the signing of ones items. This is very rarely a problem at Showmasters events, but I have experienced this issue a couple of times.

I mean what is the purpose of attending a signing event, if you are not present when your items is signed anyway.

But other than that I am basicly OK with just saying "Hi, how are you? Nice to see you" and then hoping for something in return, though not expecting it.

I understand any of these 6 possible guests would be crazy busy, but I would still expect to be in front of the guest when my things is signed.

On the whole business/time with the guest-thing -

Personally I don't expect the big prolonged chat with the guest.

But at the very least the person getting things signed should be in front of the guest during the signing of ones items. This is very rarely a problem at Showmasters events, but I have experienced this issue a couple of times.

I mean what is the purpose of attending a signing event, if you are not present when your items is signed anyway.

But other than that I am basicly OK with just saying "Hi, how are you? Nice to see you" and then hoping for something in return, though not expecting it.

I understand any of these 6 possible guests would be crazy busy, but I would still expect to be in front of the guest when my things is signed.

Definately agree with you on that point. If you are not there when the auto is signed what is the point- you may as well buy the auto from a dealer instead (you may even get it in a frame for not much extra). For me an auto is only worth it if you meet the guest.

I just realised something, Christopher Lee turned 89 this year! This may be the last chance we'll ever get of meeting the legend, Dracula himself!!

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease make it happen!

I've told my friends about this and they are looking up flight schedules as we speak, in case one of these guests are announced.

i would be very surprised to see christopher lee at an event like this now.i think its very wishful thinking.

he looked pretty frail at a recent awards event i saw.i dont think he has been very well lately.i was lucky enough to meet him some years ago at a signing.and was due to meet him again last year at an event,but which he,unfortunately pulled out of at short notice.

i think even if he did attend,i couldn`t imagine him signing all day.i think it would be a few hours at most.

i think even if he did attend,i couldn`t imagine him signing all day.i think it would be a few hours at most.

And even then, I doubt you could really rush him anyway.

Looks up autograph

5442508189_6f27dbd9bf.jpg

That's not going to be a quick squiggle

Stan, Ian, Hayden and Ewan would result in me soiling myself. I LOVE Christopher Lee but unless he signs a Dracula thing for me (which he tends not to do) then I wouldn't pay that much for him. Let me point out that I've met him several times before which is why I'm less enticed by him on this occasion. Oh to get him to sign a Dracula pic.........

Stan, Ian, Hayden and Ewan would result in me soiling myself. I LOVE Christopher Lee but unless he signs a Dracula thing for me (which he tends not to do) then I wouldn't pay that much for him. Let me point out that I've met him several times before which is why I'm less enticed by him on this occasion. Oh to get him to sign a Dracula pic.........

Wait a minute, WHAT?! Why does he tend to not sign Dracula stuff?? That's what I want to get signed by him, an 8x10 of him as the Count.

I would pay those amounts for each and every one of them!!

The poll results would suggest that Hayden isn't popular - but I'm sure he is (very). But in a head-to-head against Christopher Lee - he's loosing out!

Maybe a poll with each name - and amount and you have to vote "yes" or "no" would be more representative?

On the issue of "value for money", I think DavidB makes an excellent point - these are signing events - essentially we are paying for the autograph.

As autograph hunters/collectors, quite often if we were to secure a signature on an item at a movie premiere, or at a stage door from a show, or at the side of a sports arena, quite often you wouldn't get an acknowledgement from the signer - just a quick scribble with someone elses pen and then the person signing moves swiftly onto the next scribble.

I think what these events give us is the opportunity to at least have a more civilised system in place whereby we can get the opportunity to gain access to stars and secure a sought after sig for our collection.

Most guests that I have been to at SM events have been personable, and have been happy to engage in a brief exchange before, during and after signing whatever I've paid for them to sign. Some guests have more time than others - and it is those guests that you can grab your chance of a quick chat and photo at the desk with. I'd say 85% of the guests I have met at events I have had the opportunity to do this with. Even the likes of very busy Mark Hamill when he was over had a brief chat and photo at the desk. Ernest Borgnine was another at AG - and I'd say he fits the same kind of bill that people are mentioning in relation to Christopher Lee.

We shouldn't lose sight of just what it is we are paying for. The "value" at the end of the day is what you walk away with from the exchange. Be that a signed item on its own, or with all the trimmings of a quick chat and a photo at the desk as well.

I'd say ALL of the prices quoted in this list are pretty fair for the guests to be honest. The only one I wouldn't deem as being value for money (in terms of just a signed item) would be Christophe Lambert as I just don't think his portfolio of work lends justification enough to charge that price. But then that is a matter of opinion.

When you consider that quite often we pay £10/£15 for actors/actresses who had very limited roles in one or two scenes in just one movie or franchise, then £55 for someone who's taken a lead role in a fair few films is excellent value for money.

I'm not sure why you'd want a signed photo of Christopher Lee dressed as me anyway?!

Him not signing Dracula related photos has been a long time thing with him, my understanding is he dislikes being so closely associated with the part when he has done much better stuff down the years. I'm pretty sure that when he has done his own signing shows in the past he has stipulated no Dracula items.

Christopher Lee is a legend.

I met him a few years ago at a signing event near Heathrow.

He was happy to chat and pass judgement on my items(!!). He told me the Star Wars image I had was "wrong" as he was carrying the light saber in the wrong hand - he said he never did that and the photo must have been "inverted". If I remember correctly - there was a ban on Dracula items at this event.

I would be very happy to meet him again and maybe get a photo this time - no photos were allowed before.

Christopher Lee fell out with the Hammer Horror guys mainly to do with the later Dracula movies so therefore as far as I know alway refuses to sign Dracula memorabilia

But Hammer Horror is haveing a big revival and Christopher Lee starred in The Resident, their latest movie. So for him to say that he wouldn't sign Drac pics because he doesn't want to be associated with Hammer would annoy me.

I think Ewan being there, I would pay £50 easily. It would be great for my boys who are Star Wars obsessed.

He has such a range of fans so that would be a massive draw. Yes,It is a lot of money. But I think if you want a major star to appear the costs have to be covered. Imagine a Ewan and Hayden photoshoot!! ;) they could charge what they liked and people would still pay.I wouldn't be fussed with paying a lot for the others. But that is my personal taste. Great if Ewan can make it!!! :lol:

Edited by Caryno1

I think Ewan being there, I would pay £50 easily. It would be great for my boys who are Star Wars obsessed.

He has such a range of fans so that would be a massive draw. Yes,It is a lot of money. But I think if you want a major star to appear the costs have to be covered. Imagine a Ewan and Hayden photoshoot!! :dance: they could charge what they liked and people would still pay.I wouldn't be fussed with paying a lot for the others. But that is my personal taste. Great if Ewan can make it!!! :D

As long as Ewan grew his beard back and both of them let their hair grow a bit then I would pay silly money to have a photo taken with Obi-Wan and Anakin. Silly money! :chair:

I think the poll isn't as representative with pitting people against each other.

I'd pay these prices to meet 5 of the listed guests, with possible exception of Ian Holm at 45, if it was 35 I'd say yes.

my understanding is he dislikes being so closely associated with the part when he has done much better stuff down the years.

But he hasn't... :D

Such a shame he can't embrace what most people will remember him for. He'll always be Dracula for me and that's what I'd like to get signed by him - a pic of him as the Count.

I've got to admit, I'm impressed that Ian holm is holding his own considering he is up against the comic book god.

I wouldn't say that a third of the vote is holding his own. Thats a Stan Lee landslide in my book, but then I'm not surprised with the bargain price for such a LEGEND!!!!!!:D

Even though I have voted I really don't understand the way the poll has been arranged... i.e. why are guests facing off against eachother when no doubt most people would happily meet all of them?

Does it mean that all 6 guests are a good possibility to attend in future and Showmasters are just gauging prices people would pay, or is the guest fund limited so only 3 can attend and the 3 who lose out are the ones with the least votes? I think Showmasters really ought to help us out and clarify this.

Given that Alien is one of my top 5 favourite films, Ian Holm gets my vote every day of the week and twice on Sunday's. As brilliant as he was in that film I imagine more the amount of fans who will want to see him for his Lord of The Rings work will be overwhelming, not to mention he will be in The Hobbit.

I understand that Stan Lee is a legend in the comic book world, but I'm not into comics at all and would not pay any money to meet him. If you gave me his autograph for nothing I'd sell it or give it away. I would hate for Ian Holm to not attend because he lost this bizzare poll when he went up against someone the comic book geeks (and I say that affectionatley) who attend these shows would go gaga for, and at a much lower price no less. Ian Holm is the best actor out of the lot by a country mile but he appears to be working at a severe disadvantage in this particular poll which concerns me!

eh? ian holm the best? when SIR CHRISTOPHER LEE is in the vote????

SURELY you jest?

LEE ALL THE WAY....LEGEND.....