If it's not personalised, I may as well buy from a dealer..?

DavidB

i have that problem i hate not having an auto on a photo or poster so i will get multiples in that case thats why i generally get my autos on something generic from the show

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end, I'm sure everyone is going to think something's unfair if they're not getting what they want from a guest.

It's impossible to please everyone.

I wouldn't put it as far as saying something is unfair, but I do get a little peed off when I can't get an item of the guest in portrait like when I saw David Warner over the weekend, as I can fit more signed stuff up on the walls in my flat if there portrait rather then landscape..

Thats top of my list, but if a guest or two that I wanted to see started forcing personalisations on us (I dunno say as way to stop some people selling them on) then that would really hack me off big time, no matter what item I was there getting signed. (thank goodness that's not the case)

:rolleyes:

LLAP :thumbup:

Edited by zebredy

Myself and hubby were talking about this last night and we were wondering (forgive us, we are still new!), why if the items are for you do you need more than one Auto from the same person? I can understand the ones that will sell them on, but if they are say 3 massive posters and two dvd covers and a couple of pictures, why do ALL of them need to be signed?

Like I said, we were wondering and it wasn't a criticism, just something we don't understand and if someone could explain it that would be wonderful!!!

Its just rubbish that one minute their personalizing and then there not i dont think that's fare i know they do it because they get busy but either do one or the other were all paying the same price so we should get the opportunity to get what we prefer not deny some and give to others

I don't really agree with this. They only stop personalisation if they realise they have to, so should they always just have a blanket ban on it from the start?

That way everyone misses out, rather than just some.

This is the way I see it too. I think some people have too high an expectation of what they can expect at these events, especially with the really popular guests. You're not paying for one-to-one time with them, or for a photo or for a personalisation.

You pay for an autograph, up to you how many you want and on what. I don't resent people who want loads of things signed, though that's not for me and if some get it personalised and I don't, well I might be a bit miffed but ultimately I know I've met the guest and got the autograph in person which is why I'm there.

If you get more, that's a bonus but it's not what you're paying for.

Sometimes it does seem a bit too rushed (those times the next persons picture is in front of teh guests while you're still trying to say thanks) and it wouddn't hurt just to easy off a little but surely you want to try and let as many people as possible to meet the guest and if the first few who've been queuing for hours in advance get a personalisation and others don't it doesn't bother me all that much.

When I met Tony Head at CM4 for example, no personalisation by the time I got to him, no photos and time to exchange only a few very brief words. This time (ok it's many years on) but I got two dedications, a photo at the table to go with my proper photoshoot one and time to ask a question. I was more than happy with that.

They do try to allow personalisations as much as possible but it's a difficult balance and I'd rather have a non-personalised autograph I've got in person than nothing. But the vast majority of times you get the bonus too.

Myself and hubby were talking about this last night and we were wondering (forgive us, we are still new!), why if the items are for you do you need more than one Auto from the same person? I can understand the ones that will sell them on, but if they are say 3 massive posters and two dvd covers and a couple of pictures, why do ALL of them need to be signed?

Like I said, we were wondering and it wasn't a criticism, just something we don't understand and if someone could explain it that would be wonderful!!!

I can't answer regarding DVD covers/posters as I only get 10x8 images signed. I normally get a single shot from the show, a cast shot, and possibly a photo shoot signed. Of course if the guest is in more than one show that I like then it increases how many autographs I get.

Using Nicole de Boer as an example. I have the following; single shot of Dax, cast shot of DS9, Stargate SGA, photo shoot, photo shoot with Terry Farrell, Dead Zone, Dead Zone cast shot.

With the likes of Nimoy/Shatner I expanded my single image/photoshoot and included images from the second Trek pilot, the first movie, and a subsequent movie image to show the passage of time, uniform changes, etc.

Sometimes I get to the payment desk and just spot a random image that I like, so I get that as well :thumbup:

Edited by 1of2

I don't understand getting multiple items signed. I understand a picture that can be framed and an item from your collection

But then the next time you go and when you get to the person all they have left is a group shot (say 5 people). So you get that signed. You might already have two of other four on a different photo.

But then two other people on the group shot also do a signing. Do you start another photo, or carry on the same one? Then the ones you've already met turn up again. You don't need them, but its nice to complete the set.

Or in the case of Star Wars if you have posters how do you decide which to get signed by one person?

1) Or you buy a £2 profile photo from the many stands at these events rather than pay the £10 to start a brand new group shot.

2) Carry on the same one if I'm understanding you correctly.

3) As for the Star Wars Sophie's Choice question..............you got me you win lol

• 5 months later...

I want to see my picture getting signed by the person, I just don't trust the stalls (not saying they are all scams, but you just don't know) and I like meeting the celebs while they sign stuff as I can ask them questions and get a photo (if they allow them). I don't quite see the point in buying a picture from a stall for twice sometimes 3 times the price of meeting them yourself.

On getting stuff signed, I have a Weasley Wizard Wheezes catalodge signed by the Phelps boys as all the pictures were of them with ginger hair and I like them with their dark hair.

I often work on a friends table during these events and it is very rarely she buys an autograph at the event for her stock to sell later but she does buy them for her own collection.

One recent exception to this was for Alex Kingston because my friend had tried to meet her at theatre a number of times and had no luck getting anything.

At LFACC she actually sold all of her Karen Gillan autographs she had in stock from meeting karen elsewhere at a price of £30.The main reasons for this were that even though most of the people had VQ tickets they could not wait till that late in the day or had decided they probably were not going to meet her because they had a very high number VQ ticket but still wanted an autograph.

This scenario has also happened with John Barrowman,Eve Myles & David Tennant at other Showmasters events.

Edited by teroknor34

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, and reminds me of what its like to be a Fan standing in whatever Weather the English weather throws at you to meet a Popstar/TV Personality/MUPPETEER/Film Star.

I'd never buy an Autograph from a dealer, years ago I bought an Autograph off ebay (yes, I know but that was then) and I'm not sure if its the real deal.

Because of one or two reasons there wont be a time when I'd part with my money for an Autograph, for me its about meeting the person as I only meet people I am genuinely happy to meet otherwise I dont bother making the hour schlep up to London.

Last month I met Karen Gillan outside the Stage Door (even though I paid £35) a few months ago and made a point to ask her to personalise my Amy Pond in Policewomans outfit picture, theres people who wont personalise and there are some who do, for me I personally prefer it if people personalise because its nice to have that level of recognition.

Anyways thats all I currently have to say on this. :)