If it's not personalised, I may as well buy from a dealer..?

DavidB

• Moderators

I think it's very risky to do it though. If another guest sees that they can be making an extra £5 from personalising, then I have no doubt it'd spread very quickly.

Then you've caused unnecessary 'no personalisation' rules all across the board unless people want to pay for it.

Personalisation is kept whereever possible. It's not something that's taken away lightly, and situations do change and adapt. Bring in something to base it on finances rather than time constraints etc, and suddenly it's a whole different thing.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am strongly opposed to the idea of paying extra for personalisations. That's not something I'd like to see at all.

But the idea of reducing the number of each items each person can get signed has merit. Especially for the busier guests. Most people get 1 - at most 2 - items signed so if someone turns up with 5 items, that's roughly the same amount of time as 3 other people.

Also what happens if I've paid an extra £5 for my name on it and I see someone who hasn't paid the extra ask the star for a name and they do it - it leaves the whole system open to abuse. I'd stick to the rules but there are many who do not and put pressure on the guest for a name or a picture.

I think it should be clear from the start (on the website and leaflets) that the price is "whatever" and it will be no names and just a signature so fans going can decide whether they want to get there early or not.

Personally, my DW poster has loads of personal messges from the guests and Alex is the only one so far who hasn't personalised it but I'm just happy to have her signature on it.

If collectors are so fed-up with what happened with Alex (and its not a new thing - I remember the same thing with Shatner, Nimoy and Stewart) then I'd say avoid the upcoming Karen Gillan signing at LFCC as that will be exactly the same (a small time window for signing - inbetween her photos and breaks) plus a large amount of people wanting her signature.

I'm afraid there is no great way to do it when there is such a demand but only a small window for signing - maybe stopping people getting lots of items signed is the way forward (a girl in front of in the Alex queue had 5 or 6 items to be signed including a poster, pics and a dvd sleeve) which held everyone up. If people had possibly just one or two items at most to sign then it would speed up the queue slightly.

Edited by tanusspijek

I think at conventions you get 2 types of people, the people that collect autographs and it doesn't matter who it is, so this is why it's not so important to get it personalised and you have people like myself, that will only want to meet certain guests and would want a personal touch to autographs.

Neither type of person is in the wrong here, having a huge collection of autographs are pretty amazing but I think for me, having that personal touch means so much because that person has taken the time to write your name, possibly exchange a few words and have "something to show for it" because getting it just signed to me, doesn't prove anything to people I am showing it to and as the people I would show it to are all sceptics I kind of need the 'proof' that I met them!! I think it is also a kind of 'thrill' having your name on the same thing as the person signing!

But everyone is different! that was makes us to special!

I'm afraid there is no great way to do it when there is such a demand but only a small window for signing - maybe stopping people getting lots of items signed is the way forward (a girl in front of in the Alex queue had 5 or 6 items to be signed including a poster, pics and a dvd sleeve) which held everyone up. If people had possibly just one or two items at most to sign then it would speed up the queue slightly.

Assuming they were all for her, that would still mean victimising the customers who want to spend the most money, not ideal either

She could have course been buying things for 6 different people. If they could only have 1 each, that might mean 6 people in queue instead of one. Its still quicker for one person to sign 6 items for 1 person, than it is 1 item for 6 people.

Would reducing to one or two items per person make it easier to get personalisations?

If so I could get behind that idea.

I wouldn't spend 4 hours queuing up for one auto. Its not worth the effort.

Edited by TerraHawk

I am sorry but I just do not understand the "I'd rather by from a dealer!" stance at all. To me it is an enigma beyond deciphering.

Why?

I have autos from stars like Patrick Stewart, Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner and none of them were personalised. But I was there, I met them, we interacted (albeit briefly), they signed the items I had right there in front of me, I thanked them and walked away with a treasured memory and momento of the event to boot, that no one can dispute or take it away from me. At the time Patrick, Leonard and William were £25 each.

So presumably, the mentality would be that, you would swap all that for...what?

You would not meet the star themselves.

You would pay way over the odds for a dealer's-room autograph.

There would no guarantee that it was genuine, as you had not seen it being signed.

There was not even the merest hint of contact, regardless of how brief.

Who'd attend an event only to pay more to not meet the star, and walk away with something that has every chance of being a fake.

Can someone please explain to me how this is, in any way, a satisfactory alternative?

Edited by SlippDigby

I am sorry but I just do not understand the "I'd rather by from a dealer!" stance at all. To me it is an enigma beyond deciphering.

I think that dufresne hit the nail on the head in this post from yesterday. It largely seems to be an argument for allowing personalisation - ie, without the personalisation, the physical end product is the same kind of thing that can be bought from a dealer. I don't think that many people would rather do that.

Edited by MinkyKnights

I got 5 items signed by Alex. I don't see a problem with this, a) they were all for me as in I don't plan to sell them on and :D I don't think it takes that long to sign a few extra as they were all placed I'm the desk at the same time, it's not like I had to hunt for them all wasting time. I got there early and queued outside for a long period of time, I paid my hard earned money for it and I don't think I will get the opportunity to meet her again, so why shouldn't I be allowed 5.

I paid my hard earned money for it and I don't think I will get the opportunity to meet her again, so why shouldn't I be allowed 5.

Exactly the same argument can be made for people wanting a personalisation on one item - something that can be done in the same length of time that it takes to scribble a signature five times. This is what strikes some as unfair.

The people who want more than 1 or 2 items can always queue up again :) With a VQ in place I don't think I've ever had to wait more than about 15 minutes for anyones auto. I might have to come back some time after I get the ticket but that's not the same as standing in a queue and more often than not I can get in before my ticket number has come up anyway.

I wasn't aiming my previous post at anyone who had more than 1 or 2 items signed as its your money - personally I got one signature on my poster and I was 100% happy.

Its more people who are moaning about personal signatures and why there sometimes isn't enough time to personalise items especially when some people are bringing 5 or 6 items to desk. (I'm talking the unusual marquee guest)

With the big guests then I think there should be some sort of rule if there just isn't time to get through everyone that they limit the items or don't personalise items so everyone can get at least something.

I personally didn't think that Alex's day was that bad - not half as manic as it was when Patrick Stewart was signing at the LFCC - a lot of collectors thought they'd not get the signature they waited all day for (me included)

Edited by tanusspijek

The people who want more than 1 or 2 items can always queue up again :) With a VQ in place I don't think I've ever had to wait more than about 15 minutes for anyones auto. I might have to come back some time after I get the ticket but that's not the same as standing in a queue and more often than not I can get in before my ticket number has come up anyway.

Nice Idea, but each person can only get one Virtual Ticket, so that wouldn't really work. But even if it did, doesn't solve the problem.

Person 1 could get VT001 and VT100. They still get in front of VT 101. But it takes them longer to queue up twice than it would have been to just get all at once on one ticket.

Have all your items ready, getting 5 done at once doesn't take long.

Nice Idea, but each person can only get one Virtual Ticket, so that wouldn't really work. But even if it did, doesn't solve the problem.

Person 1 could get VT001 and VT100. They still get in front of VT 101. But it takes them longer to queue up twice than it would have been to just get all at once on one ticket.

Have all your items ready, getting 5 done at once doesn't take long.

I haven't read the entire post, so I'm sorry if my post seems stupid.

I went to see the Phelps twins twice, with 2 different VTs. I went the first time for my autograph, then a friend asked me to get one for him so I went back round...

I haven't read the entire post, so I'm sorry if my post seems stupid.

I went to see the Phelps twins twice, with 2 different VTs. I went the first time for my autograph, then a friend asked me to get one for him so I went back round...

Well yes, the speed they hand tickets out you can get another one if you go back a few minutes later and aren't too obvious about it, but offically you can only get one at a time.

Not pick up extras for friends arriving later*

* unless of course they want someone you dont in which case you can get one and give them that one!

With someone as busy as Karen is going to be, making it clear on the forum, website and on the day that her autograph is €25 (non-personalised....because we all know it is going to be anyway) or €30 (personalised) should work.

You can of course in theory pay £6 extra for a dedication on the pre-orders from Tenth Planet. So you you have the ironic situation where those that meet her get non-dedicated, and those that don't do.

Doesn't mean you always get it dedicated though. Just because they offer it as an option, sometimes you still don't get it. I've got a couple that I pre-ordered for various reasons that aren't dedicated, though admittedly most are when I've been forced to use the service.

Fan: pays more.

Dealer selling online to make a profit: pays less

Yeah that makes sense.:clap:

The whole point of personalisation (I thought) was to stop the dealers taking up spots in the queue and it also helped the guest now that this stuff wasn't going up on ebay an hour later.

With the greatest of respect to fellow boardies I don't understand getting multiple items signed. I understand a picture that can be framed and an item from your collection, but more than that just seems excessive and must take away the uniqueness of it all. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't get it.

I wasn't aiming my previous post at anyone who had more than 1 or 2 items signed as its your money - personally I got one signature on my poster and I was 100% happy.

Its more people who are moaning about personal signatures and why there sometimes isn't enough time to personalise items especially when some people are bringing 5 or 6 items to desk. (I'm talking the unusual marquee guest)

With the big guests then I think there should be some sort of rule if there just isn't time to get through everyone that they limit the items or don't personalise items so everyone can get at least something.

I agree with Davidbrookes. I was lucky enough to get 5 autos from Alex - 1 personalized and 4 not. All of them are for me not to sell on as I think she is brilliant. I would have been furious if I was not allowed to get them all at the same time. It took her less than 30 seconds to sign them all for me.

• Moderators

Its just rubbish that one minute their personalizing and then there not i dont think that's fare i know they do it because they get busy but either do one or the other were all paying the same price so we should get the opportunity to get what we prefer not deny some and give to others

I don't really agree with this. They only stop personalisation if they realise they have to, so should they always just have a blanket ban on it from the start?

That way everyone misses out, rather than just some.

I don't understand getting multiple items signed. I understand a picture that can be framed and an item from your collection

But then the next time you go and when you get to the person all they have left is a group shot (say 5 people). So you get that signed. You might already have two of other four on a different photo.

But then two other people on the group shot also do a signing. Do you start another photo, or carry on the same one? Then the ones you've already met turn up again. You don't need them, but its nice to complete the set.

Or in the case of Star Wars if you have posters how do you decide which to get signed by one person?

Edited by TerraHawk