If it's not personalised, I may as well buy from a dealer..?

DavidB

• Moderators

I've seen similar comments from a good few people around, and just wondered if people REALLY feel that way?

Personally, even though I like personalised autographs, I've never once thought of going to buy an autograph from a dealer instead of getting it from the guest.

I've seen LOADS of SM guest autographs from dealers at higher prices. Plus you can choose your photo, and actually see the guest sign it and speak to them (however briefly).

Surely people don't really think buying from a dealer offers the same? I understand the disappointment sometimes, but this seems a very odd thing to say.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you here, I've had a few not personalised over the years but again it's because they've been so so busy and I have never ever thought about getting from dealers, it's really not the same and plus and this is a big plus for me you know that the autograph is genuine!!!

I've often looked at high priced autos in dealer rooms and call me skeptical but I do wonder sometimes how many of them are genuine, I mean how can you tell etc I mean I could do a loopy scrawl on a 10 x 8 and then sell it on, who's going to check!!!!

Anyhoo I've always thought it better to get it done myself and to me it's no biggie I mean I do prefer a personalisation but if it can't happen well it's just the way of the world sometimes, I'd rather get the auto than not at all!!! :D

Personally I want to meet the guest (however briefly/lengthy it may be). For me that is a huge part of the experience. I prefer the autograph to be presonalised, but it doesn't bother me if it's not. Either way I have met the guest.

This is why I am currently having a battle with myself regarding pre-orders for LFCC, which I can't attend. I can get the autographs but I won't have met the guest. I feel like I would be cheating myself.

Personally I want to meet the guest (however briefly/lengthy it may be). For me that is a huge part of the experience. I prefer the autograph to be presonalised, but it doesn't bother me if it's not. Either way I have met the guest.

This is why I am currently having a battle with myself regarding pre-orders for LFCC, which I can't attend. I can get the autographs but I won't have met the guest. I feel like I would be cheating myself.

I totelly agree buying autographs from the shop dosent feel the same i cant attend LFACC this year i would rather wait for some of the stars to turn up again some when in the futhur that way i can meet them and not pre order there autographs .

Edited by Starbug

I've seen similar comments from a good few people around, and just wondered if people REALLY feel that way?

Personally, even though I like personalised autographs, I've never once thought of going to buy an autograph from a dealer instead of getting it from the guest.

I've seen LOADS of SM guest autographs from dealers at higher prices. Plus you can choose your photo, and actually see the guest sign it and speak to them (however briefly).

Surely people don't really think buying from a dealer offers the same? I understand the disappointment sometimes, but this seems a very odd thing to say.

Not me, no.

From dealers, you can't guarantee authenticity.

Whereas with in person, you actually see the signing in person. Get a handshake if you can, and maybe a photo. So the autograph fee is like a meet and greet opportunity combined. As for personalisation, no big deal to be honest.

EDIT: My 500th post by the way :D

Edited by Not_Pennys_Ship

I used to go years ago to these events before I met my other half and I have some stuff just signed to me which now being with him seems a little odd to say the least. Anything that was personalised to just me or him, there seems little point in framing and putting up now.

I never get anything personalised with mine and or my hubbies name on as well as the guests autograph for other reasons, well for one or two with our names on as well as there autograph would just seem out of place amongst all the other none personalised stuff we have up in our flat..

I know one person who sometimes gets two sign pictures from a guest, one for his own little album with stuff just signed to him, and another that isn't personalised, for him and his wife. Also sometimes there are guests that only he wants to see so he gets the auto personalised to him as its only for him, but why? Its not like he is ever gona leave her so needs his own stash of autos just in case?

I don't really have much of an issue with dealers, ok so yes you can't always be 100% sure the auto is genuine or that the guests secretary / personal assistant didn't sign it on his/her behalf and then mail it back to the dealer, but that's the chance you take, not everyone can meet all the guests they want so for some this is the only way to obtain some guests autograph. Anyway not everyone is so dishonest, most people sell legitimate stuff...

:D

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

Maybe it's because people have bad experiences with some guests and they feel let down. I know I've been let down by a few guests and in a way regretting paying to meet them/get their autograph.

But still, I'd not buy an autograph from the dealers instead of meeting them in person. I agree with you that it's (generally) better to get the autograph in person as you actually get to meet the guest, have a brief chat, chose what you get signed and of course you then know it's a genuine signature too.

I'd feel like that too I think. I'd probably end up having to get their autograph a second time (in person) just so that I've met them, which is a big part of the experience.

Totally agree. I like mine personalised if possible but it's the experience of meeting the person, however briefly and knowing the autograph is genuine makes it for me too.

I've been lucky to have had some really interesting and amusing chats with some guests, especially this weekend and that means more than just having the signed picture. And in most cases it's cheaper than buying from a dealer too.

However I have pre-ordered in the past using the services advertised via Showmasters when I've been unable to attend and someone really big or rare has been there and I couldn't guarantee I'd get in and have had those personalised too. Yes it's cheating in a way and I still hope to meet those people in person but at least I know what I have is genuine.

I have also bought a couple of others from reputable dealers (Sarah Michelle Gellar most notably as I can't imagine ever meeting her) but that was after doing a lot of research, comparing known signatures and asking lots of questions regarding the source. But there's still no guarantees with those.

I'm the same way. Personalisations aren't important to me, but it is nice if the guest says "do you want this made out to you?" or something to that effect, it's just a bonus to me. The big point for me is to be able just to say hello and to just know I've met them. I always make sure I shake hands with them, that's the first thing I do, I go up say "Hi I'm Tina, nice to meet you" and offer my hand. I've not had one guest not shake hands :D

Completely understand with the pre-order comment too. It just doesn't feel the same to me if I haven't met the guest.

I agree, ultimately you're paying to meet the guest and have that experience as well, but personally I think that a personalised autograph is the mark of a more personal experience meeting the guest, as opposed to being one fan on a conveyor belt of many pausing only to quickly say hello and then be moved along. I'd never not meet a guest just because they weren't doing personalisations though, that's madness!

*edit: "personal" appears so many times in this post, I can only apologise :D

Edited by cyd0nian

I agree, ultimately you're paying to meet the guest and have that experience as well, but personally I think that a personalised autograph is the mark of a more personal experience meeting the guest, as opposed to being one fan on a conveyor belt of many pausing only to quickly say hello and then be moved along. I'd never not meet a guest just because they weren't doing personalisations though, that's madness!

*edit: "personal" appears so many times in this post, I can only apologise :D

I counted 4, lol! Not that bad :borg:

It really depends on the item. If - rarely - its a photo I may get that dedicated. If its part of my insane signed DVD/CD/Trading card collection, I usually avoid dedications where I can.

And to be honest no I don't need to be in person for those, as long as the source is reliable. (eBay certainly isn't) In person is usually the cheapest, safe option though.

I think the "I might as well...." is offered as a pro-personalisation argument rather than a suggestion that people would actively make a purchase from a dealer.

Personally I have ZERO interest in an auto that isn't dedicated to me, and even less interest (!) in one that I didn't see being signed with my own eyes.

In the end the price of an autograph is worth what it's worth to you.

If someone wants to buy an original Empire Strikes Back film poster for £1,500, with three autographs then that's what it's worth to them. Doesn't mean that it's worth that to anyone else.

Most of the autographs I have aren't personalised. Most of the one's that are, are from female guests but they are all special to me.

The autographs to me have an emotional value rather then a monetary one, the memory of meeting the guest, those few seconds spent in their company and the time spent with friends. Sure I've paid out good money for them, but I did it willingly and I got a lot back.

They are something that I would never sell, most are shut away in folders awaiting the day that I decide to change one of the autographs that are on show.

I like personalizations (and I have some very nice ones), but it's not the end of the world if I don't have that. I'm just happy to meet the guest in question. I wouldn't buy an autograph off a dealer; it's all about the experience of encountering the guest, not getting an autograph to flog on ebay or something.

I was a bit disappointed when I got to Alex Kingston and she wasn't doing personalised autographs any more. But I wouldn't go to a dealer to buy one. For me it was more about meeting her than the actual autograph. Xx

I don't mind not having personalised ones, i'd much rather have personalised but say for instance the autograph is going to be on something I have other peoples autographs on or intended to get other peoples autographs on then I'd much rather not have it personlised to save room on the item.

However I have heard stories which I think was unfair about the people meeting Alex Kingston (I didn't meet her) saying that they weren't allowed to take pictures of her signing. It's one thing having no posed photography, that's fair but it's another thing having no photography at all. I view photographs of signings as being proof of authenticity.

Edited by 80sactionfan

Personally I wouldnt buy an autograph if I knew that said guest wasn't personalising. Every single autograph I own except one is signed to me (a patrick stewart that a friend got for me). It makes it much more of a personal experience in my opinion.

I wouldn't buy from a dealer because you can never be 100% sure about where it has come from.

I dont agree with reasons for not personalising to be honest. How long would it take for the person that takes your money to write your name on a post it note or something and put it on the photo. So when the photo is handed to the guest they can see who to make it out to straightaway. For example it would take 2 seconds to write "To Bob" on a picture.

I dont agree with reasons for not personalising to be honest. How long would it take for the person that takes your money to write your name on a post it note or something and put it on the photo. So when the photo is handed to the guest they can see who to make it out to straightaway. For example it would take 2 seconds to write "To Bob" on a picture.

The counter-argument is that all those two seconds add up across hundreds of autographs, which is true enough.

However, I too prefer personalisations, and I'd rather that autographs were limited to one per person than have dedications stopped.

My son is a dealer who attends these events and buys autographs for his clients at cost price if they cannot attend. We have often seen the signatures of guests on sale at events when the same person was signing (ie on Sunday when at least one dealer had a Peter Davison on sale for around £10 more than Mr Davison himself cost) and have also seen people buying from the dealers rather than queue.

For ourselves we always get autographs personalised where possible. My son only ever has photographs undedicated when his clients can choose a picture from a selection for themselves, most would rather he have their name put on the picture.

If possible my son has told his clients that if possible they should attend as they can have the pleasure of meeting their idols themselves.

The counter-argument is that all those two seconds add up across hundreds of autographs, which is true enough.

However, I too prefer personalisations, and I'd rather that autographs were limited to one per person than have dedications stopped.

Yeah I think that if a guest is THAT busy then people should be limited to 1 or 2 autos that can be personalised rather than up to 5 each that cant. Would mean more people get at least 1 signature.

At the chevron con werent people limited to 1 in person autograph from RDA?? Maybe that was for a different reason but the logic is the same.

I did say after Alex Kingston was so busy "you could buy it and just say you met her" but it wouldn't be the same as actually standingin front of the person, having a short exchange and a handshake, it's not the same.

I dont really care what they write on the autograph to be honest, to me buying an autograph is buying a chance to stand in front of that person and say a few words to them, hopefully to have them say something back to me and for me to be able to walk away and say I've "met" them (although sometimes that is a stretch).

The autographs I've gotten just end up in a box somewhere, but the memory of "meeting" the guest is what lingers. A few years back I used to do the film premiere circuit and often the autographs I got were just scribbles but I know that for a few seconds I had Leonardo DiCaprio or Colin Firth or Johnny Depp or Ewan McGregor or Keanu Reeves standing in front of me and acknowledging my existance.

As well as conventions, I go to some Premieres to get the real A-List people and I've only ever got one personalisation (Chris Pine from the new Star Trek, which made my year as I am, first and foremost, a Trekkie) but I have stories to go with all my other autographs that are unique and add colour to the autograph and sometimes you get a nice moment with the star, something they say to you that makes for a great memory. So personalisation isn't everything to me, it's the story around it that matters.