Feedback

Tina197

I wrote quite an extensive feedback regarding Ray park and his lack of professionalism and showmasters decided no to put it on the forum?????

A explanation would be nice

I have moved your post to the mod section. So don't worry, Showmasters will see it.

The wording of your post was not appropriate for the public part of the forum, in fact you had several words auto censored by the word filter.

It is a shame when a guest cancels and a lot of people were upset, but work commitments can come up at any time. This has nothing to do with "Lack of professionalism" and there is no need to get rude or insulting. We do have younger members and we also have guests coming on here.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Firstly, thanks showmaster for another great con

One small grievance, I get to the cons early and get all my virtual tickets, then overvthe course of the day get my autographs, sometimes guests I want have a notice about virtursl tickets not bring required. However when I went to get 'triggers' autograph later I was told due to demand they had to issue tickets and that I would have to come back later. This us a bit annoying as this then means I have to get it later and potentially miss out on the photo I want like what happened to me or possibly miss out on an autograph.

A similar thing happened at lfcc last year

Perhaps the default position for everybody should be virtual tickets, then if they're not to busy change the sign to open queue

Please can you sort this out for lfcc

Thanks

Difficulty there is if they have a VT for everyone it means having to allocate crew members to give the things out. I assume resource is fairly limited at these events so to take up crew members time with a job like that may not be the best thing.

I've generally found that those times when they've had to put VTs in place at short notice usually clears down fairly quickly so I reckon the current system is the best one.

Difficulty there is if they have a VT for everyone it means having to allocate crew members to give the things out. I assume resource is fairly limited at these events so to take up crew members time with a job like that may not be the best thing.

TooTall is the better person to explain the details. But I can confirm that yes, it's just not possible to assign a ticketer to every guest. A lot of guests don't need ticketers in the end.

There's always some runners to switch between jobs, but unfortunately there's always a number of crew members not turning up too.

So it's easier to grab someone when the need arises than to have someone stand there who's missing elsewhere.

Oh! And something awesome I forgot to mention:

Outside waiting for Alex, while the 'OMG all the DW pics are gone!' stuff was happening, Jason was there and said hello to me and Jemz.

As I try to always do, but sometimes cant as he is too busy, I got to say thanks to Jason personally for a great event and some of the specific guests he and the team had managed to bag for us :D

I love it when I can do this in person.

The first thing I want to say is a massive thank you to the crew for being wonderfully patient with us all.

First of all on Saturday I saw:-

Afshan Azad was a really lovely girl.

Charlotte Sheoch again was lovely and very chatty, she loved how many cast names I had in my copy of Deathly Hallows.

Nick Moran was funny and very engaging with all the attendees.

David Blue was such a sweet heart and was very happy to admit to being star struck by some of the other guests. He admitted that John DeLancie was his first ever autograph at a Star Trek con when he was younger. Also I saw his tent get blown away on Saturday, I LOL'd.

And then on Sunday I saw:-

Rodger Lloyd Pack, a bit quiet with me but I saw him chat with other people before me.

Peter Davison was a great guest, well worth meeting him.

Guy Henry was again really interested in how many names I had on my book and and was quite pleased when I wished him good luck with everything else he does.

Anthony Head laughed at my stupid joke about my friends being lazy and sometimes shortening my name to one syllable. Was fantastic in the photo shoot as well.

Alex Kingston, the hot topic. I thought she was lovely in the photo shoot and was genuinely warm to everyone. She commented on my shirt (I was the one walking around with the "Blink" quote on my shirt and the TARDIS on my back on the Sunday) and remembered it when I got the autograph. Yes it was rushed but I was just happy she recognised it.

I had a fantastic weekend and much love goes to the girls who I was hanging out with on Sunday and to Draco Malfoy (if you ever come back on here) for keeping me entertained on Saturday.

I have to say though there were a couple of little things that bugged me.

All the high traffic guests seemed to be in one area and it created bottlenecks because of queues and stragglers which were at times impossible to navigate through.

The Alex Kingston photoshoot cue was frustrating at first but once it got organised into ticket numbers it was a lot smoother.

The smell at the interior bar, whoever posted it earlier on in the forum you were bang on mate. I would have had a beer but if their lines stank that much it would have tasted awful!

The lack of signage around the free bus service. It was a good service, don't get me wrong but last time I was at MK (CM15) it dropped us off at the entrance and picked us up at the entrance. There was nothing that I saw to tell us otherwise and I ended up being one of those people trekking over to KFC!

Anyway, had a brilliant weekend, spent far too much money, could have spent more and now have to live like a hermit till LFCC!

:D

Regarding the Alex Kingston photoshoot Queue, my friends and I felt that it was only so bad and frustrating because attendees were all loitering around the area, basically hardly listening to the instructions being given by the crew member.

Now before anyone pounces on this, what we also felt was that a single solitary crew member trying to give instructions wasn't much good as we did struggle to make out what he was saying. So there is some give and take there.

The only other niggle we did have was on the Monday when it rained, the Stadium should have had the machines out quicker to mop the floor, as twice I nearly went my length , and my friend who had an expensive DSLR camera also commented that his heart missed a beat when he also nearly slipped and fell.

That isn't the fault of SM , but would be one for discussion with the venue , on grounds of health and safety and diligence at going into action to cater a risk hazard.

I certainly had a good time this past weekend, and Alex Kingston was great to meet, I didn't get a personalization as others did, but I was just happy to actually meet her.

Regarding the Alex Kingston photoshoot Queue, my friends and I felt that it was only so bad and frustrating because attendees were all loitering around the area, basically hardly listening to the instructions being given by the crew member.

Now before anyone pounces on this, what we also felt was that a single solitary crew member trying to give instructions wasn't much good as we did struggle to make out what he was saying. So there is some give and take there.

Ah, the good old attendee knowing better than the crew member running the queue syndrome - that's not a dig at you gebes, but at all the attendees who seem to lose the ability to hear or comprehend. I've encountered that on many an occasion while running those queues, and no doubt will meet it again if I'm fortunate enough to get Karen's one at LFACC. It's amazing how many people think that by hanging around they'll get in quicker, it just doesn't work like that! Either that or some strange phenomenon occurs where I lose the capacity to project my voice in English and instead switch to Double Dutch without realising it :D

The only other niggle we did have was on the Monday when it rained, the Stadium should have had the machines out quicker to mop the floor, as twice I nearly went my length , and my friend who had an expensive DSLR camera also commented that his heart missed a beat when he also nearly slipped and fell.

That isn't the fault of SM , but would be one for discussion with the venue , on grounds of health and safety and diligence at going into action to cater a risk hazard.

I certainly had a good time this past weekend, and Alex Kingston was great to meet, I didn't get a personalization as others did, but I was just happy to actually meet her.

Regarding the swimming pool (as I affectionately call it) I was one of the two crew on duty outside there - actually the one who was mad enough to stay outside the whole time and get a little damp on occasions. I did suggest to the good stadium worker that she left us the machine so we could keep the area dry. Strangely she didn't seem to want to - can't think why :YAHOO:

I didnt envy the person handing out virtual tickets for Alex, tough job handing out the tickets, managing who went through the door and trying to communicate to those in the immediate area too, all at the same time!

At the end of the day, I think so many people were trying to get a peek of Alex that it all fell on deaf ears.

I had to battle through that area so many times that day it was tough to get through.

She was fab! :D I got an auto for my hubby and boys (unpersonalised - but they were delighted!) and a lovely smile from her and she asked how many children I had, even while very busy.

Banished From Rohan : I am not taking that as a dig at all, in fact I thought the crew member was doing an amazing job trying to organise people.

Friends and I just can't work out why people feel the need to loiter once instructions have been given, I'd suggest a loudhailer, but lol I'd suspect Malcolm and company would have something to say about that !!

Swimming Pool Lol !!! We thought the machines would make a great method of transport for us around the venue !!!

I think its because people want to do it asap, so they think if they do go away and come back in 10/15 mins like the crew suggest they'll miss out or think people are beating them to something.

I always go, see what number they are on, and then either head away to somewhere quieter/far enough away and wait, or if its gonna be a long while, go and do something else.

Everyone else should too.

OK, my feedback on the Sunday of the event.....

I enjoyed the day out and it all seemed better organised than the last time I came to an event at MK Dons Stadium 2 years ago, however a couple of minor niggles which are easily fixable for next time - suggestions of the fixes also given in a nice and constructive way:

1. The Alex Kingston photo shoot queuing was a a little chaotic as there were so many people waiting round and it was difficult to hear what the crew member organising the queuing was trying to say above the chatter of the people waiting and, espcecially, as the wind was howling a gale in the queuing area. A small and cheap loudspeaker/megaphone would be very helpful and would probably save crew members' sore throats!

2. I can fully understand why Alex Kingston was asked not to personalise items and photos weren't allowed in the afternoon as there were lots of people to get through her queue. However, when this is the case I strongly think that there's a onus on Showmasters to inform customers of the restrictions at the point of purchasing their autographs, rather than leaving it to the guest to explain this! Not only does it leave the guest embarassed and the customer somewhat puzzled and irritated, but it doesn't achieve the intended time saving for the guest as they take the same time, if not longer, explaining that they can't personalise and that photos aren't allowed as it would've taken them to personalise and for a photo to be taken! *Please* can this information be given out at the point of purchase and not by the guest in future, noting in particular that it might affect whether the customer actually wants to buy the autograph, or the number of autographs they might buy....?

Overall a very nice day out - well done to all......!

*Please* can this information be given out at the point of purchase and not by the guest in future, noting in particular that it might affect whether the customer actually wants to buy the autograph, or the number of autographs they might buy....?

Overall a very nice day out - well done to all......!

Although I was fortunate to get their early enough to get personalised Alex autographs, when I glanced into her tent whilst she was on lunch I could clearly see signs above the desk where you would have paid for your autographs/chosen your photos saying No Personalisations and No Photos. So the information was given out at the point of purchase.

Edited by mpharris

The weekend was amazing, best Collectormania yet. All of the guests that I met (and there were a lot) were all brilliant and really friendly. I agree with the comment made earlier about having to pay for autographs right next to the guest. It did make me feel a little uncomfortable, although I appreciate that manning a table for payments and having a crew member with each guest means having double the people crewing.

I was really happy with all of the photo shoots with the exception of one, which I have contacted showmasters about. Regarding the Alex Kingston comments, I'm not sure if this point has been made already. I guess people need to ask themselves if they'd prefer to have a limit on the number of autographs (say 500) that will definitely be personalised (but there won't be any more than 500 so if you don't get a ticket then tough luck) or whether they prefer the system that was used on the Sunday. I didn't go up to get my autograph (a friend got it for me) but looking at some of the photos she seemed really nice. Considering some of you got some quite intimate-looking hugs I'd say she was a good sport, considering she didn't know these people.

The venue was a bit cold at times but I'd prefer to suffer for my hobby (obsession?) than not have the event held at all. As long as the guests were OK I can put up with being a bit cold (it did seem a lot warmer in the signing areas that had tents up outside them).

The bar outside of the dealers area did smell of sick and I tried to avoid it as much as I could. The dealers area was much less crowded on the Sunday afternoon so it was easier to look around.

My best guest of the weekend award would have to go to... Bloody hell I can't really decide! They were all awesome. Gates McFadden did ask the photographer to take another picture so I'm taking that as she wanted a picture with me as well (that's how I am seeing it and nothing will change my mind)!

I was a bit miffed at the whole table photo thing. Personally, whether or not I can have a table photo doesn't affect my decision to get a photo shoot with the guests. The photo shoots are always much better looking than a table shot, but I also like the personal nature of getting a photo at the guest's table. For me it's not the money issue of the photo shoots that makes me decide (although I fully appreciate that some people don't want to spend the same amount of money again), it's whether or not I want a professional-looking photo (and that is never affected by the availability of photos at the guests' tables).

Overall I'd say the event was a massive success and a big thank-you to the organisers and crew :YAHOO:. Let's hope the time goes quickly to LFCC!

One further thing I've thought of. Would it be possible to have a list of dealers who were at the show? Maybe even with a location map showing who was where? I see various requests from people after the show (myself included) asking who was selling this or that item.

I saw some things I'd like to look for that I forgot to get details of at the time so a list would be really useful to make contact with the relevant seller after the show.

One further thing I've thought of. Would it be possible to have a list of dealers who were at the show? Maybe even with a location map showing who was where? I see various requests from people after the show (myself included) asking who was selling this or that item.

I saw some things I'd like to look for that I forgot to get details of at the time so a list would be really useful to make contact with the relevant seller after the show.

Unfortunately there's no advertising allowed on the forum, even by dealers from the events :D however, if you emailed SM after a specific dealer they might be able to help that way..?

Unfortunately there's no advertising allowed on the forum, even by dealers from the events :D however, if you emailed SM after a specific dealer they might be able to help that way..?

I appreciate theres no advertising but problem is I dont know who the dealer is. I just saw something on a stall and forgot to go back for details. With a list of who was there I could work through it to try and find who had that item. I wouldnt think it'd be a problem putting a list on the website with disclaimers saying there's no implication of recommendations etc by showmasters. But no problem if they'd rather not. Just an idea.

Might drop them an email though and see if I can provide enough info to find out. Or maybe the same one will be at LFCC which I hope to get to.

Yes, there were very clear signs above Alex Kingstons photo/cash desk saying no personalisations, no photographs. There was also a female crew member walking up and down the line inside the tent reminding people that there were no personalisations and no photographs.

I remember thinking she was particularly efficient when I was queueing for an auto for my husband and boys :blush: (That was Hannah)

Yes, there were very clear signs above Alex Kingstons photo/cash desk saying no personalisations, no photographs. There was also a female crew member walking up and down the line inside the tent reminding people that there were no personalisations and no photographs.

I remember thinking she was particularly efficient when I was queueing for an auto for my husband and boys :D (That was Hannah)

Interesting, thanks for the reply. I went through Alex's queue at around 2.15 to 2.30-ish and didn't see the signs you've mentioned and there wasn't anybody walking up and down the line inside the tent saying anything about this! Judging from the previous post, the signs were apparently there at lunchtime, so I must've missed them, maybe too busy fiddling with the stuff I wanted to get signed to look up!

I remember thinking she was particularly efficient when I was queueing for an auto for my husband and boys :D (That was Hannah)

Yes that was me and i am still suffering from the sore throat!

The signs went up while Alex was at lunch (she came back at 2 ish)

Edited by Princess Hannah

A little late to the party but here goes...

GUESTS

I only went to meet 3 guests and to put it simply, they were all superb.

LeVar Burton was about as enthusiastic as is humanly possible, a very friendly and approachable guy who made fans feel at ease, nice and chatty too. He was a real pro at the photoshoot too: despite the fact Malcolm took several pics (I always manage to stuff them up) LeVar was enthusuastic throughout and seemed to genuinely enjoy himself really made the effort with everyone I saw. And he scores extra points for remembering me from the photoshoot when I went to get his signature afterwards.

Gates McFadden was a more reserved, but again was friendly nonetheless. Like LeVar she commented upon the photo I had brought with me for her to sign. Lovely at the photo shoot too despite I needed more than one attempt!

Robert Patrick was a real surprise. Given he was a 'bigger' guest I expected a certain amount of aloofness but what I got was someone who was really down to earth. He made unique conversation with everyone I heard and was very obliging with inscription requests. The paycheck may have got him to Milton Keynes but he really seemed to try his utmost to make sure each fan went away happy. A class act.

PERSONALISATIONS

I understand that busy guests may need to limit the personalisations they offer but I do take issue when the organisers can get a bit heavy handed with the guests.

For instance, the person in front of me for Robert Patrick asked for the date; film/series name; signature; printed name; and character name. Robert looked a little bemused but did oblige. Personally I thought the guy in front was taking advantage of a guest willing to accomodate his fans, the majority of which aren't as brazen. All that detail was unncessary and a bit OTT.

After the guy in front had got every last inscription he wanted, one of the crew leaned over the desk to whisper in his ear, afterwhich Robert looked a little crestfallen. He proceeded to sign my autograph, addressed to me, and I asked if he was able to put a character name given I thought he'd been told off for personalising. Seems my guess was correct, and whilst I would have gone away without anything more than the signature, Robert decided to circumvent the 'rules' by putting "J.D." in exchange for "John Doggett" on my X-Files pic which I thought was very nice of him. Then he went to sign my T2 photo which I was getting for a friend. Turns out my friend's name is the same as Robert's son, and after addressing the photo, Robert took the time to add "All my best" and "T-1000" under his signature, again without me asking for it.

My feeling is that if a guest clearly wants to have a bit of fun by adding extras to the signature, then just let them get on with it. It doesn't take a guest 2 seconds to write something like "T-1000" and makes the signature all the more special. I loved meeting Robert Patrick because he showed me in no uncertain terms that he wanted me to walk away from meeting him a happy fan. Had the organiser's had their way, or had Robert allowed his arm to be twisted then neither autograph would have been as cool as the one's I got.

I understand Showmaster's needs more signatures to recoup their costs and that they don't want fans to miss the chance to meet him, but please don't ruin the experience by making it more like a conveyor belt when you've been fortunate enough to land a guest who is amazing enough to try and make it fun for every fan they meet.

THE VENUE

This was my second Collectormania at the MK Dons stadium and whilst I don't want to be negative I still think it is a very bad venue.

I went on the Saturday and thankfully, unlike last year, there was barely any rain. There was however lots of wind and it was again very cold.

The dealer room is way too cramped for the footfall of the show and the smell emanating from the bar area nearby was atrocious. The smell really did hit you and my first thought was 'bus station toilet'. Not good.

Finally when I went to pick up my Gates photoshoot pic, a gust of wind blew some crusty old birdmuck on me from the metal girders overhead. Thankfully all my photos and autograpghs were packed away, but I was not happy to say the least. A really bad way to end the day. (Unbeknownst to me, the famous winds messed up my hair for one of my photoshoots earlier in the day also).

I keep hearing the line "it's better to have the show here than none at all" but whilst I did really enjoy meeting the aforementioned guests I simply can't agree with that sentiment, and I'm seriously considering not going to future Collectormanias held at the Stadium.

It's ok for a footie game but not for walking around for up to 8 hours when you have to carry around autographs and other items (from the dealer room) whilst being exposed to the elements.

Additionally I think it's a bit niave to assume that guests will simply put up with the elements regardless. I was on my feet all day and was cold. I can't imagine how ucomfortable it was for signers who still still all day. LeVar specifically said he was freezing and Gate's looked like she was frozen stiff (not surprising given the dear is 62 years old!). If the guests don't like the venue I don't think it's too far fetched to imagine they may hesitate to attend future Showmaster events. Bad word of mouth may even prevent other guests attending as well. And none of us want great guests to stop attending.

I'll thank Showmasters for allowing me to meet some fantastic guests but the venue really needs to be changed as its flaws are many and significant.

After the guy in front had got every last inscription he wanted, one of the crew leaned over the desk to whisper in his ear, afterwhich Robert looked a little crestfallen. He proceeded to sign my autograph, addressed to me, and I asked if he was able to put a character name given I thought he'd been told off for personalising. Seems my guess was correct, and whilst I would have gone away without anything more than the signature, Robert decided to circumvent the 'rules' by putting "J.D." in exchange for "John Doggett" on my X-Files pic which I thought was very nice of him. Then he went to sign my T2 photo which I was getting for a friend. Turns out my friend's name is the same as Robert's son, and after addressing the photo, Robert took the time to add "All my best" and "T-1000" under his signature, again without me asking for it.

My feeling is that if a guest clearly wants to have a bit of fun by adding extras to the signature, then just let them get on with it. It doesn't take a guest 2 seconds to write something like "T-1000" and makes the signature all the more special. I loved meeting Robert Patrick because he showed me in no uncertain terms that he wanted me to walk away from meeting him a happy fan. Had the organiser's had their way, or had Robert allowed his arm to be twisted then neither autograph would have been as cool as the one's I got.

I'm assuming that you didn't see him on the Monday because I was his GA that day and he was personalising pretty much everything. He asked people what their favourite quotes were, he wrote character names and show titles without being asked and he thought nothing of spending a few moments trying to remember his own favourites before deciding what to write.

I'm sorry that you thought the crew may have told him not to personalise, but I can promise you that it only happens when there's a large number of VTs waiting to join the queue. It is unfortunate that you weren't able to see him on a quieter day, he had great interactions with almost everyone who saw him on Monday and he and Robert Englund made a great double act, often chiming in on each other's conversations to talk smack about each other :clap:

I'm assuming that you didn't see him on the Monday because I was his GA that day and he was personalising pretty much everything. He asked people what their favourite quotes were, he wrote character names and show titles without being asked and he thought nothing of spending a few moments trying to remember his own favourites before deciding what to write.

I'm sorry that you thought the crew may have told him not to personalise, but I can promise you that it only happens when there's a large number of VTs waiting to join the queue. It is unfortunate that you weren't able to see him on a quieter day, he had great interactions with almost everyone who saw him on Monday and he and Robert Englund made a great double act, often chiming in on each other's conversations to talk smack about each other :clap:

You were right in thinking there were a lot of VT waiting - this was in part because his flight was delayed and he got there late on Saturday morning. Nonetheless, if fans get there later in the day chances are you might miss out, that's just the way it goes. Your point about how accomodating he was on Monday underlines again what a good guest he was and I'd hate to be a fan who couldn't get a message when most of the time he was giving them out. Not every fan can hand about until the Monday when it's quiet and you shouldn't miss out purely because of what day it is!

And no apologies necessary, I had a great time meeting Robert Patrick even though it was busy.