Feedback

Tina197

The whole Alex Kingston affair was a disgrace. I understand time constraints but here's the thing:

I asked Alex for a personalisation and she begins to explain to me that Showmasters isn't allowing her to do so, when the crewmember next to her chimes in gives me the story about the lack of time, etc. and in 30 seconds they spent telling me all this she could have easily scribbled a 4 letter name. After I get my graph I ask another crewmember if I can have it personalised if I wait until the very end, it had to have been 4pm by now and there was virtually no one left in line! But then I get the same ol bs about if I get mine pers'd, then people will complain that they didn't get theirs but I come to find out in this thread she WAS personalising in the beginning! HO HO! Well here I am to complain now! Basically I was lied to.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Alex Kingston affair was a disgrace. I understand time constraints but here's the thing:

I asked Alex for a personalisation and she begins to explain to me that Showmasters isn't allowing her to do so, when the crewmember next to her chimes in gives me the story about the lack of time, etc. and in 30 seconds they spent telling me all this she could have easily scribbled a 4 letter name. After I get my graph I ask another crewmember if I can have it personalised if I wait until the very end, it had to have been 4pm by now and there was virtually no one left in line! But then I get the same ol bs about if I get mine pers'd, then people will complain that they didn't get theirs but I come to find out in this thread she WAS personalising in the beginning! HO HO! Well here I am to complain now! Basically I was lied to.

It is very rare that personalisations are stopped right away. Unfortunately sometimes they will be stopped during the day under certain circumstances. It is really unfortunate for those that didn't get theirs personalised. But it is either that or the risk of attendees missing out completely. If you went to see her at 4 PM you would have quite possibly been one of those to miss out if personalisation had continued.

As for not allowing you a personalisation with no one else in line, I have to say that I can actually see their point that people would have complained then. When Leonard Nimoy attended the rules were clear: no personalisation. Some attendees managed to get personalisations anyway, and a lot of others who didn't get one was happy. Again I realized it is unfortunate, but for Alex the cut off point was "No personalisations after a certain time." If they had done it for you potentially a large amount of other attendees could have seen your autograph and then returned and demanded personalisations too.

Getting off the Alex Kingston moaning, I'd really like to say what an absolute sweetheart Guy Henry was. I popped past to see him whilst waiting for Anthony Head on Sunday, and was able to have a good long chat with him (I'm a huge Holby City fan) - I told him what I liked about the way he portrayed the character and he seemed genuinely pleased saying how much he appreciated my taking the time to tell him. He was more than happy to get up and pose for a photo although he did seem a little shy for a convention guest (which made him even more lovely!).

Also was very pleasantly surprised that Anthony Head was personalising and allowing photos - had never met him before and he was also lovely.

For what it's worth I happen to like the stadium as a venue - it's nice to be able to walk around and I never had any problems sitting on the seats watching the football. Yep, the food is rubbish but Asda has a nice cafe. I echo whoever wished for seats in the bar to watch the Grand Prix though! I wish it wasn't so darned windy everytime though!!

Thanks SM for another great event! :(

I'd really like to say what an absolute sweetheart Guy Henry was. I popped past to see him whilst waiting for Anthony Head on Sunday, and was able to have a good long chat with him (I'm a huge Holby City fan) - I told him what I liked about the way he portrayed the character and he seemed genuinely pleased saying how much he appreciated my taking the time to tell him. He was more than happy to get up and pose for a photo although he did seem a little shy for a convention guest (which made him even more lovely!).

I only met him for about 5 minutes but you are right he was fantastic. Seemed pleased when I asked him to sign a Holby City card.

I wish these people would stop moaning about the personalization thing - at the end of the day, isn't it better that you met Alex and had an autograph? Does it really matter whether your name is on it?

Well, yes it does, or rather it can - if that's the way someone likes to collect their autographs. And everyone pays the same money, so I can definitely see why people point to others' experiences and say, 'now hang on - why couldn't I get mine the way I wanted it, too?'.

(I say this as someone who got exactly what I wanted from Alex on Sunday - a personalisation - so I'm not batting purely for myself here.)

But it is either that or the risk of attendees missing out completely. If you went to see her at 4 PM you would have quite possibly been one of those to miss out if personalisation had continued.

Understandable, but not the case for me as I had a VQ ticket. I went back at 4 to see if the queue had died down, which it had.

When Leonard Nimoy attended the rules were clear: no personalisation. Some attendees managed to get personalisations anyway

I would have to say the rules were NOT clear then

but for Alex the cut off point was "No personalisations after a certain time."

This would have been good info for the showgoers to have known too, even better if you announce it before the show so we can make proper arrangements.

If they had done it for you potentially a large amount of other attendees could have seen your autograph and then returned and demanded personalisations too.

Please don't try to sell me that one, about large amount of people seeing my autograph. :( And even if so, let them come! Why not? It was the end of the day, Alex could have still signed until 5.

I wish these people would stop moaning about the personalization thing - at the end of the day, isn't it better that you met Alex and had an autograph? Does it really matter whether your name is on it?

:( I wish you would stop moaning about people moaning. In answer to your question, yes it matters as it was for a friend in the States and this is what they had requested.

Understandable, but not the case for me as I had a VQ ticket. I went back at 4 to see if the queue had died down, which it had.

Shows how good the queue management was if there was still time for spontaneous decisions. :(

I would have to say the rules were NOT clear then

The rule was clear, it always happens that some people chose not to follow them unfortunately. Sometimes a guest is just too nice to refuse, and even the crew can't catch everything.

This would have been good info for the showgoers to have known too, even better if you announce it before the show so we can make proper arrangements.

No one knows how much demand a guest will have on the day, so this is really impossible to say. We could all figure out Alex was going to be popular, but you can't exactly tell how popular someone will be. Had someone told me in advance what to expect when the Heroes guests were at LFACC I would have laughed at him. :(

In general some people think the earlier they get there the better the chances for personalisation are. This has proved true for Alex.

Please don't try to sell me that one, about large amount of people seeing my autograph. :( And even if so, let them come! Why not? It was the end of the day, Alex could have still signed until 5.

We don't know if Alex had to be somewhere at a certain time or something like that. Not all guests do stay until 5.

This is a potential fact to consider. Okay, maybe I didn't chose the best example. ;) But it doesn't matter if they had seen your autograph or caught it any other way, people would have reappeared if there was a change. It's not as simple as "let them come". First like I said, not all guests stay until the very end. Then people coming back would have blocked potential attendees who hadn't even seen Alex. And also that would have pi**ed off others who had already left because they didn't have a chance to get a personalisation at all.

whats all this about alex leaving early? I walked past alex at about 16.50! she was still signing with about 10 ppl in the tent and had an open queue, so 10 minutes before show closed she was there! she didnt leave early with ppl waiting for an auto.

I really find it hard to understand why some ppl seem to have a dislike for alex after this show, she was amazing.

although I disagree, I can understand some ppl being upset at how SM changed it to no dedications ect to get everyone through but thats not alex's fault!

Edited by timelord81r

• Moderators

Sometimes things have to be changed.

Surely it's better Showmasters adapt to circumstance, rather than just saying 'no' unnecessarily right from the start?

I can understand disappointment if you're one of the ones that suffers later on, but I still believe it's better that most people get something than nothing at all.

You'd get far more people complaining if they just did a blanket ban on personalisation from the get-go based on assumed 'busyness' or whatever.

whats all this about alex leaving early? I walked past alex at about 16.50! she was still signing with about 10 ppl in the tent and had an open queue, so 10 minutes before show closed she was there! she didnt leave early with ppl waiting for an auto.

I wasn't there, so thanks for the details.

I mainly speaking in theory and trying to give an example why possibly the no personalisations rule was kept up - guest having to leave at a certain point in time is one of the more common reasons. As long as someone is waiting no guest will leave, and if you got that impression I do apologize.

I'd really like to say what an absolute sweetheart Guy Henry was. I popped past to see him whilst waiting for Anthony Head on Sunday, and was able to have a good long chat with him (I'm a huge Holby City fan) - I told him what I liked about the way he portrayed the character and he seemed genuinely pleased saying how much he appreciated my taking the time to tell him. He was more than happy to get up and pose for a photo although he did seem a little shy for a convention guest (which made him even more lovely!).

I only met him for about 5 minutes but you are right he was fantastic. Seemed pleased when I asked him to sign a Holby City card.

He was lovely, first guest we went to see Sunday morning just after 10. Also seemed pleased we chose Holby City cards (for 2 of us & a Harry Potter one for my sister who couldn't be there).

Had a chat about Holby City and Casualty, he also told us about the picture we chose for my sister.

Ok now I'm bored isn't this a feedback thread???

Can someone please make an Alex Kingston thread so peope can all go and obsess and analyse EVERY little thing in there!!!

no dont make a separate thread, last thing we need is for the minority of haters to start a massive thread that her agent sees and we never see her again, she was lovely, and nice to everyone, if ppl need to complain about the dedications thing they can do so in the thread davidB opened.

For me this weekend was all about Dean Lennox Kelly and Tony Head, they were both so lovely and very friendly and thought nothing of taking time to chat to people and pose for pictures!!!

I really hope you manage to get them both back again, and if I only have to choose 1 then please get Dean back he was hilarious!!!!!!

Ok now I'm bored isn't this a feedback thread???

Can someone please make an Alex Kingston thread so peope can all go and obsess and analyse EVERY little thing in there!!!

no dont make a separate thread, last thing we need is for the minority of haters to start a massive thread that her agent sees and we never see her again, she was lovely, and nice to everyone, if ppl need to complain about the dedications thing they can do so in the thread davidB opened.

Not for the haters just in general so that this thread can get back to being feedback not an Alex thread, seriously the way this is going you wouldn't think there had been anyone else there and I'm incredibly surprised it hasn't been closed yet given how many other seemingly less harsh topics have been closed recently!!!!

Had my DW poster signed at approx 4pm - it was quite clear to me on the signs that there was no personalisations or photographs/videos - it was my decision to go ahead and have my poster signed even though she didn't sign my name - no problem there imo.

Even though rushed, she chatted to me and asked my about my poster and signatures - I found her to be quite nice.

I've had a similar experience with a signing with Patrick Stewart at LFCC where to rush everyone through, you just got a signature - and then, we were made quite clear beforehand what was happening.

With Karen Gillan coming up at LFCC then I'm expecting the same due to amount of signatures and time constraints.

I just cannot see what the problem is?

Edited by tanusspijek

• Moderators

Not for the haters just in general so that this thread can get back to being feedback not an Alex thread, seriously the way this is going you wouldn't think there had been anyone else there and I'm incredibly surprised it hasn't been closed yet given how many other seemingly less harsh topics have been closed recently!!!!

Everything seems pretty reasonable at the moment. We're happy to address everything to the best of our abilities.

Certainly if anything gets too personal or whatever, it'll be dealt with. But we're not looking to close this topic, as everyone should be able to post their feedback. And as Alex was the busiest, her situation will get a lot of the comments.

This subject crops up event after event. I like to get my autographs personalised if at all possible but I understand that some guests don't want to, or can't for various reasons or if it's just so busy that they want to try and get as many people through as possible.

I've been to enough of these events now to know you can't expect it so for me it's an added bonus, as is getting a photo at the table. But as has been discussed elsewhere today, the chance to meet the guest (however briefly) and know the autograph is genuine is enough for me.

I do think that having your name already written out doesn't add a great deal to the time and I was asked when paying if I wanted personalisation all the time on Sunday which was nice but it does still add to the time.

Also I don't resent those that have been queuing up for hours in advance getting personalisations which then stop at some point. Though I admit I have very few which aren't personalised.

What annoys me more are those people who ask for photos or personalisation when it clearly states no photos or personalisation. You may call them cheeky or whatever and some guests will be too polite to say no, but please stick to the rules and keep it fair for everyone. That way everyone knows the score and there's less room for complaint.

You'll never keep everyone happy of course but maybe with my experience of these things my expectations aren't quite the same as others.

Overall I thought things ran very well from my experience. Far less chaotic that the early days. I didn't mind being asked to wait when a queue had been closed for lunch or photoshoot, signs were clear about photos (or not) and personalisation. All the crew I came into contact with were very welcoming even though they'd obviously been sat there all day and I even had some brief chats about the photos I selected with some of them. My photoshoot (Tony Head) was very efficient and it really didn't seem to take long to get through a large number of people.

Although I've been on here since CM4 days I admit I don't know any of you other than by forum name and the photos you post but as I don't post much myself you wouldn't know me from adam so I'm a bit shy about saying hi, even at my advancing age. BUt thanks to you all anyway.

Edited by sugar_mouse

Just got back from our 9 hours drive to Aberdeen! Had a really great time- fab line up (best being LeVar, David Blue and Robert Patrick- great guys, very talkative and friendly!)

A couple of people have mentioned the smell in the dealers corridor- think it was caused by the beer? It led to me and my bf nicknaming it the 'Corridor of Farts'. It wasn't the nicest of smells!! :P

Also I noticed that there were a lot of children there this year, which is cool to see if they are enjoying meeting the guests and seeing people dressed up, but it was obvious a lot were bored. Ive been to other events where they've had creches/child care - might be something to consider? We were walking around with expensive signed items and the last thing we needed was kiddies running around our feet and using the hand rails as a play park. Especially when it was really busy (also noticed a couple of lost child announcements) Ive nothing against taking your kids with you, but it might be an idea to have somewhere safe for them to go when you're doing grown up boring things like standing in a queue for 30mins!! :lol:

Clairbear

I was one of the parents with a difficult kid, you may have even seen him, the one who was refusing to go anywhere. Problem was he'd never been to a stadium before and preferred the football to the guests and refused to move, but we have to take him with us, as being disabled, no one will look after him for us! In addition he has loved Collectormania in the past, but as we have found out this weekend, he prefers football

This was my sisters first signing event/con, she enjoyed every second of it. Highlights for her were meeting Sir Stirling Moss and The Phelps Twins - she lit up in her photo shoot with them. We also brought her boyfriend along who was beyond happy to meet Peter Shilton who had a joke about goalie injuries with him (he plays football and currently has a broken wrist, to which Peter said "saving it, I hope"). They also enjoyed getting pictures taken with some of the cosplayers (thanks to Ghost Face and Darth Vader especially!)

We also went to see Jason Watkins, Nigel Planer - both of which were very nice and chatty :)

Sunday we went to see Peter Davison, Guy Henry, Roger Lloyd Pack, Colin Baker, Robert Patrick, Tony Head <3 and Alex Kingston - all (except Alex) were very chatty and posed for pics. Tony made my day by agreeing for my photo shoot pic to be signed at a couple of mins to 5 - thanks to the crew that asked him! :P

Alex - she seemed shy when I met her and overwhelmed (this was in her photo shoot) but very nice. Got 2 great pics signed by her, with a smile and a thank you - I was VQ 356 (I was about when they announced no more personalisations which was VQ 1-250 from what I remember).

Thanks SM for bringing her and all the other guests & thanks to the guests themselves. :)

This subject crops up event after event. I like to get my autographs personalised if at all possible but I understand that some guests don't want to, or can't for various reasons or if it's just so busy that they want to try and get as many people through as possible.

I've been to enough of these events now to know you can't expect it so for me it's an added bonus, as is getting a photo at the table. But as has been discussed elsewhere today, the chance to meet the guest (however briefly) and know the autograph is genuine is enough for me.

I do think that having your name already written out doesn't add a great deal to the time and I was asked when paying if I wanted personalisation all the time on Sunday which was nice but it does still add to the time.

Also I don't resent those that have been queuing up for hours in advance getting personalisations which then stop at some point. Though I admit I have very few which aren't personalised.

What annoys me more are those people who ask for photos or personalisation when it clearly states no photos or personalisation. You may call them cheeky or whatever and some guests will be too polite to say no, but please stick to the rules and keep it fair for everyone. That way everyone knows the score and there's less room for complaint.

You'll never keep everyone happy of course but maybe with my experience of these things my expectations aren't quite the same as others.

Sugar mouse, when John Barrowman was there, although it said no photos, and no personalisations, we were still allowed to take photos of him signing. Unfortunately for Alex we were told no photos, not even a quick photo as we were going past. I know this was instructed to save time, but it really wouldn't have slowed the queue, so it was a little unfair considering people with lower numbers were allowed

I've been reading everyones experiences here with great interest as it was the first time I've ever attended this kind of event and I wanted to see how my experience compared with all of you. Personally, I had a great time at Collectormania 17 but that's not to say it couldn't have been better.

I attended Saturday through Monday (out of necessity I couldn't stay much longer than 11am each day). Firstly, I really have to congratulate the staff, within the event, the queue management was brilliant. For a conference noob like myself to meet around 3-4 guests by around 11am each day was really unexpected!

Reading peoples different experiences, I consider myself very lucky because I got to meet all the guests I wanted to see (David Warner, John de Lancie, Chase Masterson, Robert Patrick, Peter Davison, Anthony Head, Nicole de Boer and Kenny Baker), each of them personalised when signing, not only that but all of them obliged to my request for a photo, either posed or 'over the counter'.

David Warner was particularly wonderful, sharing an annecdote about his TNG appearence in Chain of Command. John de Lancie arrived quite late at around 10.30am on Sat, I was first in line to see him and he did seem a bit rushed off his feet - he was very kind in standing up to pose for a photo. Chase was wonderful (see below). Robert, Peter and Anthony all agreed to 'over the counter' photos; and Nicole as well as being quite chatty also posed for a photo. I think it's fair to say that the smaller the queue and the earlier in the day, the more obliging the guests were.

I thought about meeting Gates McFadden but must confess I was put off by person handing out virtual Q tickets dimissing any type of photography i.e. with/out flash, posed/non-posed, or video footage. That said, I think I preferred to hear it from the 'ticket master' outside the tent than from Gates' herself! In any case I already had Gates' autograph and although it would have been nice to meet her in person, I decided to meet Kenny Baker instead. I did consider a photo shoot but frankly I do prefer candid, over-the-counter photos to the more contrived poses inherent to photo shoots.

I like what Chase did, asking that I make a donation to her charity in exchange for a posed photo - which I did without a second thought. I wish more guests did that as I really do prefer that to photo shoots. I appreciate if a guest has a busy queue to deal with then a posed photo is unlikely, in the interests of making sure everyone gets to meet the guest.

Showmasters: please, if given the option to pay more for a candid photo (with the guest standing or sitting down) as part of the signing I would gladly do so. The decision as to whether it would be offered could be made before meeting the guest depending on the guests inclination to that and how busy they were.

If theres one thing I would change about the event is that I much prefer to pay for an autograph at a seperate table before meeting the guest, I don't like flashing money in front of them (no matter how discretely it's done) especially when the cashier is sitting right next to the guest. I imagine the guest doesn't much like it either. Indeed my better experiences where with David Warner, Robert and Nicole where it didn't feel like a 'transaction'. Also, if it were better advertised when the money is being donated to charity it would go some way to making like-minded folks feel more comfortable.

Anyway, I had a wonderful time - thanks to Showmasters for organising it, thanks to the guests for attending and thank you all for sharing your experiences in the forum :unsure:

I was one of the parents with a difficult kid, you may have even seen him, the one who was refusing to go anywhere. Problem was he'd never been to a stadium before and preferred the football to the guests and refused to move, but we have to take him with us, as being disabled, no one will look after him for us! In addition he has loved Collectormania in the past, but as we have found out this weekend, he prefers football

Hey RMC001, that's cool I totally understand there are times that kids can't be left in care etc and I have no problem with that!

Perhaps there could be a wee 5 a side for the young ones organised (with help from the MK Dons?)- there were a few kids running about and watching the football!

Sugar mouse, when John Barrowman was there, although it said no photos, and no personalisations, we were still allowed to take photos of him signing. Unfortunately for Alex we were told no photos, not even a quick photo as we were going past. I know this was instructed to save time, but it really wouldn't have slowed the queue, so it was a little unfair considering people with lower numbers were allowed

I wish I could change my forum name. It made sense about something years ago but seems a bit silly now.

Anyway, I appreciate what you're saying but ultimately you are paying for an autograph. Anything extra is a bonus. Yes it's nice to have a photo of some description but when guests are extremely popular, even taking a photo to one side will hold things up as people will want to wait for the person to look up, the next person may get in the way, the camera may not work first time etc. I know, i've been in a situation at another event where it worked like that and it did become a problem.

Many of these issues have been explored in the past and as with any live event, sometimes things have to change during the day as it goes on. You can't please everyone unfortunately.

I don't know if you were at CM4 when all the hobbit guys from The Lord of The Rings were there. It was absolute chaos and would have been a lot worse if everyone was allowed to take photos etc as well.

I find it best to go with the attitude and expectation that you probably won't get anything other than the autograph and if you do get more, then that just makes the experience better. It sounds like they tried to accommodate these things as much as possible but due to the large numbers of people, (it was mayhem around her area at times) and limited space in which to work, it obviously wasn't practical to continue to do so in order to give as many people as possible the chance to meet her. It happens. I've been in a queue when I was the person told there'd be no more photos. You have to stop somewhere. It's a bit annoying but that's just how these thing work.

When I met Tony Head years ago, only the first few people got personalised autographs. I didn't and there were no photos at all. Met him again on sunday and I got two personalised autographs and a photo (on top of the photoshoot one). So maybe just accepting it and waiting for the person to come back will give you another opportunity.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but at the end of the day you met her, got an autograph and that's what you paid for.