Feedback

Tina197

Alex Kingston was absolutely lovely. We chatted for a good few minutes and she was warm, funny and very approachable. We had a great girly gossip about my River Song outfit ("fabulous!"~), and she even told me she was wearing the very same Impossible Astronaut jeans and boots that day (and hoisted her leg up past the desk to show me!)

I saw her about 11:45, so perhaps I was lucky enough to see her before the pressure was piled on.

Can't fault her one bit. Absolutely made my day.

I told her that I felt the same way she did when she met Aloe Blacc and she looked so touched. :YAHOO:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first time visitor with the family today, me and the family had pics done with robert englund, robert patrick and anthony head, all 3 awsome people, loved it and will be back next year, only thing i would say was missing was could of been more manga there, other than that, perfect, thanks for a great day guys

I'll write more in the How was your Experience thread, but here I'll give feedback. I was happy that I got to meet Alex, but not so happy with the organisation. I arrived early and queued up in the Alex-specific queue. When we were allowed in Jason was giving out tickets. I said "Hi Jason!" and he asked me to join the queue outside Alex's booth, saying "Don't worry, you'll get a lower ticket number." I noticed that the tickets he was holding were in the 100s. When I got to the booth I was given ticket number 263. :D If Jason had given me one of the tickets he was holding I would have been able to get my autographs in the morning while Alex was still doing personalisations. What made it worse was overhearing some people who had been in the other queue boasting that when the show opened they had gone straight to Alex's booth and got really low numbered virtual tickets. Given that was the case, what was the point of having the two separate queues? Alex was lovely and I'm glad I got to meet her, but those things did irritate me.

• Moderators

I forgot to echo the comment about the smell in the outer area of the inside dealers.

I don't know what it was, but at points it really made me feel sick and I couldnt spend time looking at those stalls. It only got strong every so often, it wasn't all the time, but I did feel sorry for those that had stalls there .. and Kenny Baker too!

I forgot to echo the comment about the smell in the outer area of the inside dealers.

I don't know what it was, but at points it really made me feel sick and I couldnt spend time looking at those stalls. It only got strong every so often, it wasn't all the time, but I did feel sorry for those that had stalls there .. and Kenny Baker too!

I know - it smelt like a sewer outlet pipe had broken, and it was just by an area serving food and drinks, which was rather off-putting to say the least!

I met:

Les Conrad, got him to sign my ROTJ poster - really nice bloke

Robert Patrick, only because Kyle is a total legend and gave me a VQ ticket lower than my epically high number around 3pm. Got my T2 poster and an x-files A3 signed by him. Had a nice chat with him too, he's a really nice guy. Also got a photoshoot with him earlier in the day.

Kenny Baker, met for the umpteenth time. There is always a new picture that I see that I have to get signed by him. He seemed a lot quieter than he normally is this time round

Fredric Lehne, what an awesome guy! I have stretched ears and was wearing 18mm clear resin plugs with real scorpions inside them. We got chatting about Lost and how he thought spending the first 3 weeks lying on a beach in Hawaii pretending to be dead would be a doddle, until he realised that scorpions actually inhabit Hawaii and he had a close call with one crawling onto his neck while he was playing dead! He personalised my autograph "love the scorpions!". :D

Gutted that Michael Hogan cancelled, as he wouldve been another, and although I really wanted to meet David Warner, just couldnt stay around long enough for it. ;)

I know - it smelt like a sewer outlet pipe had broken, and it was just by an area serving food and drinks, which was rather off-putting to say the least!

And yeah, that smell!!! The first time I went past I presumed someone had a bad stomach lol. Then as I passed it several times I realised it was just the area, and figured it was a broken pipe or some stagnant water.

Either way, it was rather gross

I have to say this is the first event where i couldn't gripe about any of the guests i met on the saturday

Top bloke Robert Patrick saying F*** me when he signed my T2 crew jacket and realised it was Vic Armstrong's and had to tell him where i got it and how much i paid for it... he really made my day.

Levar Burton asking me where i got my ST TNG script from he was also a top bloke

And Finally Gayes McFadden remembering filming the actual episode from the first season script i had very chatty and sweet.

All in all a great day

I met:

Les Conrad, got him to sign my ROTJ poster - really nice bloke

Robert Patrick, only because Kyle is a total legend and gave me a VQ ticket lower than my epically high number around 3pm. Got my T2 poster and an x-files A3 signed by him. Had a nice chat with him too, he's a really nice guy. Also got a photoshoot with him earlier in the day.

Kenny Baker, met for the umpteenth time. There is always a new picture that I see that I have to get signed by him. He seemed a lot quieter than he normally is this time round

Fredric Lehne, what an awesome guy! I have stretched ears and was wearing 18mm clear resin plugs with real scorpions inside them. We got chatting about Lost and how he thought spending the first 3 weeks lying on a beach in Hawaii pretending to be dead would be a doddle, until he realised that scorpions actually inhabit Hawaii and he had a close call with one crawling onto his neck while he was playing dead! He personalised my autograph "love the scorpions!". :thumbup:

Gutted that Michael Hogan cancelled, as he wouldve been another, and although I really wanted to meet David Warner, just couldnt stay around long enough for it. :thumbup:

I remember those earrings! I think noticed them when I came up to introduce myself to Kyle and you were standing with him. Very impressive.

And on the subject of the smell in the dealers' room - yeah, that was not nice.

There are 3 feedbacks to report about this con but two are not SM's fault. Maybe none of them are in fact.

The first and most important problem I had was the lack of sign-posting to the stadium. I couldn't find the damn place and saw no signs until I was already quite near it. I couldnt find it so decided to park my car at the station and just get the shuttle bus but it cost £8 to park your car there!!

MK to me is one of the most difficult places to navigate and when driving I usually head straight to Central MK. From there I used to follow signs to The MK Centre which is well sign-posted as is the train station. In the end I found the stadium by following one of the CM buses.

Second problem was that the buses to the con from the station; waiting 30 mins or more is too long IMO. I think I might have waited about 45 mins on Sunday.

Third problem was Elpidia Carrillo didn't turn up on Saturday as planned. No one's fault, she just missed the flight....even I do that. It just meant I wasted a £20 train fare is all. That's why I drove in on Sunday. I couldn't check the forum late on Friday night cos I was in bed as I had a 6am flight to Bham. I also dont have internet at home so didnt check in the morning either. The last time I checked it was about 9pm Fri. When I arrived in Bham I took a train straight from the airport to MK to arrive for 10:30am. In hindsight I probably should have checked the forum at the airport.

On a positive note I will say that each of the four Predator guests we've had have been a delight to meet and I hope we get the rest/more of the cast or crew in the near future.

Edited by nicky

I dont think its very good for some of the crew to be telling some of us that we cant have a picture but then plugging the paid photoshoots (i.e "xx is doing a photo shoot later you can get one then)

This is one pf those "can't please everyone" things, because as sure as eggs is eggs, if they didn't say that, then you'll have people coming on here saying that they wanted a photo, couldn't get one at the signing table, but nobody told them that they could buy a photoshoot and consequently they missed out.

or having a guest as what happend to Lizzy saying to them "they cant have a pic cos they've been told to plug the photoshoots" as like mega said its us that make the event work and personally like others I think it should be up to the guest themselves

As has been said before, in some cases the guiests rely on the SM staff to play the bad guy for them. Some guests do not want to be seen saying "no" to their fans, or feel uncomfortable doing so. Rather than have your opinion of the guest possibly soured by them turning you down, they'll get a relativly faceless SM person to break the bad news instead. So, just because it's an SM person saying no, don't assume that the guest (or their agent/manager) has had no input into that.

That said, if an SM staff member actually said "you can't have a photo because we've been tyold to push the photoshoots" then that IMHO is remarkably crass and stupid - surely they should have had better sense than to say it, and surely somebody gave them a better explanation to use? And again, bear in mind that if it is true, it may well have been the guest's choice to want to push the photoshoots - without even speculating on relative rates of remunerations (and don't start down that track, as quite rightly the mods won't allow it), some guests may view photoshoots as a welcome break from signing and more of a chace to interact with folk, and so more photoshoots mean a longer break and more interaction.

As has been said before, in some cases the guiests rely on the SM staff to play the bad guy for them. Some guests do not want to be seen saying "no" to their fans, or feel uncomfortable doing so. Rather than have your opinion of the guest possibly soured by them turning you down, they'll get a relativly faceless SM person to break the bad news instead. So, just because it's an SM person saying no, don't assume that the guest (or their agent/manager) has had no input into that.

Saying That I understand But I was in the que and nearly everyone in front of me had a posed photo and you can hear all the chat between Guests and Public from 3-4 people back and at no time did I see John start talking to the Helper and as I have already said he actually got up to have the photo with me when I was told no photo as he has a shoot later and then gave us a thumbs up when we took a picture. So in my opinion this was soley the Helpers decision and not John's. I wonder how many people after me were also turned down for Posed photo's at his desk?

Just wanted to report I had a brilliant if somewhat exhausting time at CM17. Saw everyone I wanted to and am happily enjoying my day of rest to recover today.

Best Bits- Watching Captain Jack in a sword fight with Dr Who, meeting Tony, Alex and Peter & making lots of new friends.

Worst Bits- lack of money today, the weather and achy feet.

The one thing I wish they did or had was talks or panels, especially when the guest is there for all three days. I realise this means less time for signings but would be nice touch - especially as they manage it at LFCC.

Well done to the crewand guests! :dance:

Just thought of another thing: why were there no seats in the bar area? Like last year there was a Grand Prix on so I took time out from the event to watch the race, but last year I could watch in comfort as there were chairs. This time I ended up sitting on the floor and then having to get up whenever someone came in and stood in front of me, blocking my view of the screen. Last year I bought a drink to enjoy while I watched, but this year I was annoyed by the lack of provision, so I didn't bother. (I realise this may have been a decision made by the stadium rather than Showmasters, but I did find it odd.)

The only real moan I have is the debarcle with the Alex Kingston photoshoots.

We bought our photoshoot tickets at 9am on Saturday morning and was given ticket 365 which would have been ok had we not then discovered that people who bought their tickets on Sunday were given lower numbers which meant for LONG LONG LONG waits after people who bought their tickets AN ENTIRE DAY AFTER US to get their photographs first. I understand that the staff accidentally used the wrong ticket book on Saturday and gave out the highest numbered tickets to people who should have got their photoshoots before the people who bought them on Saturday.

My issue was resolved and I thank the showmasters team for this, but I know for a fact that this affect MANY MANY other unhappy customers who didn't have their issue resolved and so I felt it was something that needed to be brought up so that, in future, things like this didn't happen again because, as you know, unhappy customers today means lower numbers tomorrow.

Thanks again for a great event

Carole

I expect its the lack of covered seated space that rules out talks, rather than time.

The first time Collectormania was held at the Football stadium following the move from the shopping centre there were some talks scheduled, but the weather ended up being so atrocious that they had to abandon the idea (which was a shame as I had been really looking forward to hearing from the Back to the Future guests about their time filming the movie).

I expect its the lack of covered seated space that rules out talks, rather than time.

The first time Collectormania was held at the Football stadium following the move from the shopping centre there were some talks scheduled, but the weather ended up being so atrocious that they had to abandon the idea (which was a shame as I had been really looking forward to hearing from the Back to the Future guests about their time filming the movie).

I think the photoshoots have kind of taken over from that. When I first started going (CM4) they held talks in the evening after the main event had finished in the nearby cinema though it meant a number going on at the same time so you couldn't go to all. Was fun though. Then they moved to using the theater during the day but since the photoshoots have taken off I suspect they get a lot more money from that and they fit into the day better plus they seem very popular judging by the queues.

It was nice but I've been lucky enough to have time to chat, however briefly, to everyone I've wanted to at the time of meeting them so while interesting, it's not something I miss greatly.

There'll be talks again when the hall is ready, Jason had confirmed that. nosfer2 and Terrahawk got it right, right, it's a matter of lack of covered space at the moment.

It's been a while so I don't remember many details, and unfortunately I can't locate the topic anymore. But I do remember Jason posting the outside venue rentals are no longer an option for various reasons.

LFACC do have both talks and photoshoots at the same time too. :angry:

There'll be talks again when the hall is ready, Jason had confirmed that. nosfer2 and Terrahawk got it right, right, it's a matter of lack of covered space at the moment.

It's been a while so I don't remember many details, and unfortunately I can't locate the topic anymore. But I do remember Jason posting the outside venue rentals are no longer an option for various reasons.

LFACC do have both talks and photoshoots at the same time too. :angry:

Fair enough, something to look forward to in the future as long as it doesn't take too much time away from actual signing time ;)

As I said it's not something I greatly miss personally as it's the one-to-one time with the guest and the chance to say thanks to them for the enjoyment they've given that is most important to me.

My one wish would be that the photoshoots were a little cheaper with so many guests not doing photos at the tables now but having treated myself to my first one with Tony Head this weekend (an extra birthday treat) I will try to allow extra funds for more in future I think.

sorry if this has already been mentioned, i havent had time to read through the whole thread.

this was my first collectormania but have read about the problems before.

why are the guests/stars in the very windy cold part, and the dealers are all cushty in the warm area?! PMSL...surely thats wrong?

as for the staff...they couldnt be anymore helpful they were awesome.....and i want a job with them! LOL

again you cant control the weather, not your fault but is there nowhere inside you could do this? i think it would just make it more enjoyable to visit

lack of seating....i was carrying a huge bag round with me as i travelled overnight etc....and whenever i sat down i got told from security i couldnt sit there unless i was there for the football...i just wanted to rest my poor feetsies!!

again...not your area...but those burgers were proper rock hard ha ha

SO COLD........so very, very cold.

Smell near the bar was god-awful.

Please change location for the next event, at least 5 of the guests that I spoke to commented on the cold (or tweeted about it). Word will get around to other potential guests.....

On the positive side of things....

The SM staff amazing, helpful and funny as always. They do a great job.

Shauna McDonald, Levar Burton, Gates McFadden, Jason Watkins, Elpida Carillo, Christopher Ryan, Guy Henry, David Blue -Very chatty and friendly.

No Personalisations ......this really bugs me. I can understand wanting to get through as many people as possible but this is crazy. Adding 2 extra words "To whoever" made add a few seconds which can build up over time but come on it's £15. If people start chatting or looking to take pics then move them on by all means.

As it has been mentioned above you might as well buy from a dealer.

sorry if this has already been mentioned, i havent had time to read through the whole thread.

Yes, a lot has been mentioned. ;)

why are the guests/stars in the very windy cold part, and the dealers are all cushty in the warm area?! PMSL...surely thats wrong?

The dealers keep their stock there during the weekend. The dealers area can be locked overnight, the concourse can't.

as for the staff...they couldnt be anymore helpful they were awesome.....and i want a job with them! LOL

E-mail crew@showmastersonline.com if you want an application sheet. ;)

again you cant control the weather, not your fault but is there nowhere inside you could do this? i think it would just make it more enjoyable to visit

There is a conference hall being built next to the hotel, which actually was the planned venue for a while now. Unfortunately the completion of said hall keeps getting delayed. I think someone mentioned they still haven't finished the floor or something. So it was the concourse or no event at all.

No Personalisations ......this really bugs me. I can understand wanting to get through as many people as possible but this is crazy. Adding 2 extra words "To whoever" made add a few seconds which can build up over time but come on it's £15. If people start chatting or looking to take pics then move them on by all means.

As it has been mentioned above you might as well buy from a dealer.

That's the problem. Even if it's only 3 or 4 seconds per personalisation (not including misspellings) 4 x 1000 autographs = 4000 seconds. That's over an hour. For a guest that's only one day an hour is a lot of time.

It is very rare that personalisations are stopped from the beginning, but sometimes the cut off point has to be made. Happened to me too at LFACC... was in line for a guest, in fact next to see him, he went on a quick break, his agent decided line was too long, no more personalisations. :angry:

For 15 pounds you are still getting an autograph that you know is authentic and on the picture you like to have signed. I like my autographs personalised too, but sometimes it just can't be help.

If you're the person that just missed out on seeing someone because time ran out things would probably look differently. This hasn't happened for SM shows in a long, long time thankfully.