What about an Official Harry Potter convention?

sagart

Given that the movies are over this year and the movie sets will open at Leavesden Studios next year, thanks to Warner Bros., has anyone thought of approaching Warner Brothers to hold an Official Harry Potter convention?

Paramount have been backing, with an American convention organiser, a convention each year for a while now of one of their BIG franchises (you know, the one with transporters and phasers!!).

What would a Showmasters event, with the backing of Warner Brothers, be like for Harry Potter?

Showmasters have been providing excellent small and medium sized cons over the past number of years with some outstanding guests but perhaps with some big studio backing a major event could be organised. Maybe even at Leavesden itself?

The Harry Potter Reunion Convention!!

In fairness, that was always going to be a small event. I'm talking about a major event, backed by the studio that could be seen as a 'Thank You' to the fans for over a decade of loyalty, that would be a huge ad for the new Studio Tour, perhaps tying in with the release of the complete Harry Potter DVD/Blu-Ray box set. I remember a Star Trek TNG Con that was held in the Royal Albert Hall when Generations was released. There were no autographs, just talks from the full cast and the producer. Imagine an event with Dan, Rupert, Emma, other cast, perhaps David Heyman and maybe even Jo Rowling herself. With Warners backing, the money raised could go to charity. It could be done. Would SM be up to it though? Might be too much for them.

• 1 month later...

Regardless of whether it being small or large, I do back this idea. I don't necessarily think it needs to be one backed by a large company, I'm sure a small one in an appropriate venue would bring in plenty of ticket sales to make up for any expenditure.

I know Showmasters have tried once before, but I think at the moment, given that the movies have been finished, there'll be more interest in it, especially with people wanting to carry on the fandom as it were.

Edited by JennJenn

MuggleMayhem suffered from a catch22 scenario...I imagine most people (like myself) were waiting for more guests to be announced before buying a ticket and then it got cancelled for poor ticket sales, doh!

I generally wait for 3 guests that I want to see to be announced before buying a ticket for any convention event (same with the Lord of the Rings event that is being planned)...if a BIG name is then announced, then I might, just might, spring for a Gold Pass.

If Alan Rickman or Robbie Coltrane were ever announced for an event then a GP would immediately be purchased (I'm sure this was the case for most people at Chevron when RDA was announced).

I think now the Harry Potter films are over, it's the perfect time to have a Harry Potter convention!

I know there was Muggle Mayhem, was it? And it got cancelled for poor ticket sales I believe but now I reckon a HP con would do really well!

could be good. All the HP guests I've met so far were very nice.

You could get Natalia Tena's band to perform at parties

Natalia Tena's band did perform at Muggle Mayhem

just discovered the band a few weeks ago and I really like the music

• 4 weeks later...