Torchwood - Miracle Day

jacobite2002uk

Too American plus the charm and character has gone.

It was a bit John Woo at times which was fine in the 90's. Dunno if ill bother next week, mind you there may be no point after that THIS SEASON trailer that lasted almost as long as the episode.

I'm not a huge fan of this "reboot", I will watch next week and see what happens!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was pretty good... not the same with Tosh, Owen and Ianto though!

I thought the clips of things coming up this series at the end of the episode was far too long!

All very true. Not even sure it was the most coherent trailer for what's to come either. But I like the idea and I'm interested to stick with it and see what's behind it all.

It was pretty good... not the same with Tosh, Owen and Ianto though!

I thought the clips of things coming up this series at the end of the episode was far too long!

All very true. Not even sure it was the most coherent trailer for what's to come either. But I like the idea and I'm interested to stick with it and see what's behind it all.

Yeah for sure, I'll definitely be sticking with it. It's an interesting concept and I love torchwood :stretcher:

just watched torchwood miracle day, wasn't all that impressed and deff not enough captain jack in it. all felt very staged, dont like Rex first scene we see him laughing cos the guys job he is about to take wife has lukimia was it? there was a bit too much of this in MD, laughing at ppls death or suffering, the constant digs at the brits, gwen doing her hero impression both I didnt like, and felt a little rushed plot wise.

also what was the whole jack and rex on a plane bit, what did he say later, dont annoy me again? what, this all felt like there was a big scene missing.

how can some random cia agent get auth from the uk to pick up a hand gun getting off the plane, why do the uk government just allow and assist this random cia dude to take TW off and not want to be involved?

is that true that US agents can request to be allowed to take firearms on a plane, this doesnt sound right, surely its only US marshals, if even that now?

rex also finds TW far too easily.

although there were some decent scenes, and pullman was great, also liked the female doctor and esther.

the concept is good, cant die and the jack maybe can now is interesting. the hospital body scene was fab, still alive with the head off.

also some of the acting (aside rex who was a bit dodgy at times) was really good

trailer was a bit naff at the end though

is there a place where we can see what the us/uk edit differences are?

I agree. That initial scene with Rex laughing was in poor taste. I don't recall any other laughing at deaths/etc, nor any US/UK digs. I will have to watch it again.

There is no scene missing. Jack was 'annoyed' because Rex was on the phone on the plane (while trying to find Gwen)

Regarding firearms on a plane, Federal Air Marshalls are allowed them. I believe that the FBI are as well with restrictions in place. No idea about the CIA, but as they are techinically a civilian organisation I imagine that it would probably require paperwork and a lot of jumping through hoops. Possibly why the on screen request was shown as being denied.

You liked the female Doctor and Esther? There's a surprise :P

There are US/UK differences?

One thing I may have imagined - the music. It seemed to be toned down, not as much, quieter compared to that of previous series.

just watched torchwood miracle day, wasn't all that impressed and deff not enough captain jack in it. all felt very staged, dont like Rex first scene we see him laughing cos the guys job he is about to take wife has lukimia was it? there was a bit too much of this in MD, laughing at ppls death or suffering, the constant digs at the brits, gwen doing her hero impression both I didnt like, and felt a little rushed plot wise.

also what was the whole jack and rex on a plane bit, what did he say later, dont annoy me again? what, this all felt like there was a big scene missing.

how can some random cia agent get auth from the uk to pick up a hand gun getting off the plane, why do the uk government just allow and assist this random cia dude to take TW off and not want to be involved?

is that true that US agents can request to be allowed to take firearms on a plane, this doesnt sound right, surely its only US marshals, if even that now?

rex also finds TW far too easily.

although there were some decent scenes, and pullman was great, also liked the female doctor and esther.

the concept is good, cant die and the jack maybe can now is interesting. the hospital body scene was fab, still alive with the head off.

also some of the acting (aside rex who was a bit dodgy at times) was really good

trailer was a bit naff at the end though

is there a place where we can see what the us/uk edit differences are?

Ad far as I am aware after watching both us and English versions (after promises of a different edit) there wasn't any, we just got a lot longer 'whats to come trailer'.

Enjoyed the second episode but the BBC could have done that special effect at the end better because it was rubbish! If they couldn't do it, don't!

I thought it was pretty good. Can't really understand many of the gripes that people seem to have, but then I'm a lot more accepting of things than people tend to be.

To me the story's good, theres the mystery of how it's happening, the characters are all pretty good, and some of the acting is superb, especially by Bill Pullman.

I'd say it's maybe not quite on par with Children of Earth, but I still enjoy it

With regards to US/UK 'digs', have to say I find them amusing. Not being able to find their way out of the airport, having to pay to get across a bridge, not knowing England and Wales are seperate, that was similar to way back in Delta and the Bannermen(Classic Who) when one of the characters said to someone that he was in Wales, in England :blush:

Edited by JacknDaniel

Last night's was definitely better - it felt like Torchwood in a way that the first somehow didn't (although fair enough, the first did have to explain what was going on to a lot of new fans in the US which is probably why it felt slightly disjointed IMO). The formaldehyde line made me laugh out loud. I loved it!

Roll on next week :blush:

I enjoyed the second episode more than the first, I think alot of people are missing the likes of Ianto (yes I know it was ages ago and lets get a life, but still!) and this is some of the core of Torchwood, without him it does seem 'empty' I thought COE was a bit empty as it was the first series without Tosh and Owen but as the week progress it got better and better, so give it a few more weeks and things will change.

Spoiler free.

I enjoyed the episode last night.

Now and again I find myself thinking that it's not Torchwood but on reflection it is. Yes, some of the main characters have changed (or been lost depending on how you look at it). The major change though is the format. Series 1 and 2 generally comprised of a number of 50 minute standalone stories. Series 3 was also one story. It was just 5 hours long. Which meant that more details could go into the story, and more time be devoted to the other characters. The same applies to Series 4 except it is now a 10 hour story.

I'm curious. For the people that are saying it's more X-Files/USA/etc than Torchwood - if the series 3 and 4 stories had been told in the more traditional '50 minute standalone' format then would you still have the same opinion? For me the actual stories are still typical Torchwood stories. They are just 'told' in a different format.

There are pros and cons to both formats but I still enjoy them both.

Spoiler free.

I enjoyed the episode last night.

Now and again I find myself thinking that it's not Torchwood but on reflection it is. Yes, some of the main characters have changed (or been lost depending on how you look at it). The major change though is the format. Series 1 and 2 generally comprised of a number of 50 minute standalone stories. Series 3 was also one story. It was just 5 hours long. Which meant that more details could go into the story, and more time be devoted to the other characters. The same applies to Series 4 except it is now a 10 hour story.

I'm curious. For the people that are saying it's more X-Files/USA/etc than Torchwood - if the series 3 and 4 stories had been told in the more traditional '50 minute standalone' format then would you still have the same opinion? For me the actual stories are still typical Torchwood stories. They are just 'told' in a different format.

There are pros and cons to both formats but I still enjoy them both.

It also backs up that Torchwood are a worldwide organisation.

slightly better but still not sold. Its way too much like a US show now e.g a bunch of good looking people p*ssing about in laboratories etc

I pray that Doctor Who does not become solely funded by the $$$.

Thought it was pretty bad actually. Far too many American crime show influences. And I mean all that stuff in the plane. Really??? Just seemed to have lots of people running around screaming at each other and no real story progression at all.

I'm still interested in finding out what's going on but really not keen on the journey we're being taken on to find out.

e.g a bunch of good looking people p*ssing about in laboratories etc

Hey! Goodlooking people p*ssing about in labs can be fun. Or it would be if any of them acted like they'd ever worked in a lab before. CSI just pains me, and Bones is even worse.

As for Miracle Day, I'm not sure my feelings on it as a Torchwood Show yet but I am enjoying the plot. Curious to see where it's going.

My big bugbear is Rex. Not sure if it's the writing or Mekhi Phifer (I did like him in ER) but he's very one dimensional and a complete jerk.

I'm not a great fan of the latest series of Torchwood. I feel it's been swamped by the American element. I saw John Barrowman being interviewed and he said Torchwood was a great British show being taken to America. It really doesn't feel British at all these days. It feels like an American show like Flash Forward or something with Jack and Gwen plonked in there. Also not feeling the new characters, warming most to the doctor but then she slept with Rex for no apparent reason other than he was there.

I feel it's going to be rather dragged out too over the ten weeks. I'd rather if not like old Torchwood one story a week, at least two over the ten weeks. We lost interest in Flash Forward when after several weeks it was still getting no where fast. 

Also while it's being pushed for America several of my American friends who loved the original are unable to watch it as they don't get that channel. :-(

Although having said that there was been stonkingly good acting from Eve. 

Well I finally got bored waiting to find out why no one dies and I am just going to let my hubby watch it and then tell me, if it's any good I shall have a TW fest at the end, but I have better things to do these days then keep watching this rubbish!! (although I do feel kind of like I have deserted a sinking ship and feel bad for Cap Jack and Gwen!) but I can't be doing with the snarling Rex another week, the fact the BBC sensors it (although we do the naugthy on a Saturday) and looking at the two women each week chasing about in 6inch heels!! come on!!!.

Rant over!! it's just my opnion!