A request about "No Photos"

When I met Denis Lawson I also got 'no posed photos' from his helper but fortunately he agreed to have a pic taken holding my poster. I personally hate photo shoots and would rather have no photo than have to pay for it, but that is purely my opinion and I have no issue with those who like them. I just hope that photo shoots aren't stopping guests from allowing pics at their desk.

• Showmasters Admin

This started off as a nice simple thread about needing more signs. I replied to that and agree that sometimes it's not as good as it can be and I'll look at making it better.

Since then it has turned into, should there be photo shoots? do they effect photos at the table? We should force the guests to do them. I'm going to answer these questions and then close this thread.

1: Should photo shoots be banned?

SM are NOT going to stop having photo shoots at shows. Firstly a lot of people like them and want the option. Secondly in a lot of cases with the bigger guests the revenue taken from the photo shoots can make the difference between a guest being financially viable and not. i.e. No photo shoot = no guest!

2: Does having photo shoots effect photos at the table?

Yes it probably does...

The guests and their agents have the right to say they don't want table photos. It can be for whatever reason, including the guests doesn't feel they should give something away for free that others are paying for, but that is THEIR decision, never SMs.

Let me make it clear that SM always encourage the guests to do photos at the table. I have personally seen Jason have some serious discussions with agents about it, backing the rights of the attendees to get proof of authenicity.

The decision to stop photos will ONLY EVER come from SM because they believe there will be an issue getting all of the autographs done if they allow them.

And yes it does take more time to allow them, you may think "but it's only 2 seconds to take a photo!". We have done tests and it can make a difference of over 50% to allow them. That means the difference between getting 600 people through and 900. If we have given out 900 VTs, it's simply not fair to allow the first 600 to get a photo knowing the last 300 are likely to not get an autograph AT ALL!

3: Should we force the guests to do them?

No you can't. If you put something in a guests contract that they don't want to do and then say you will not take it out. Guess what? The guest will not come! Surely it's better having a guest sign but say no to table photos rather than not have them AT ALL!