May well be my last Convention :grump:

If something means a lot to you, then carry it on, be proud of it, and don't let outside opinion ruin anything.

I agree completely. I'm a firm believer in that saying "Never regret something that once made you happy".

Within reason, of course; not sure you could use those sentiments to justify continued indulgence in Scottish country dancing, or bestiality... :clap:

Maybe not individually but you really ought to try doing the two things together, it took me to a new dimension of pleasure

:unsure::o

Isn't Scottish country dancing frowned upon!? :D

Now Morris dancing with chainsaws - that's excitment!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I'm calling it a day with this con too. Approaching 27 years old and really don't want to be one of those guys in their 30s still attending conventions.

I'm 33 and I'm only now starting to get into cons. I've no intention of giving it up any time soon.

Might be too old for Morris dancing with chainsaws but what a spectator sport! Would hate to part with any of my collection and was very nervous when it was being shipped across the Atlantic. In the couple of months I have been here I have done a couple of signings and booked into an event, as long as I can afford to I shall keep going, sad I'll miss LFCC I have made so many good friends through this forum and events.

Enjoy, life can be short, but fun!! :unsure:

Isn't Scottish country dancing frowned upon!? :YAHOO:

And probably painful if there's an accident/someone makes a mistake...:jason::dance::D

but that's what would make it fun - come on we all watch motor racing and ice skating waiting for crashes or falls!!

Isn't Scottish country dancing frowned upon!? :dance:

And probably painful if there's an accident/someone makes a mistake...:jason::clap::D

but that's what would make it fun - come on we all watch motor racing and ice skating waiting for crashes or falls!!

:YAHOO:

• 1 month later...

What's wrong with being 30 and still going to conventions? As long as you'e having fun, what's the problem? :WINCE: Sounds like the thought of ignorant people who think only 40 year old virgins who live n their mom's basements goes to these things.

I'm 44 !! don't see age as an issue

I'll see your 44, I'm 46 and only just started going to these thing and don't give a fly wotsit what anyone thinks and I don't live in a basement (sounds cool though) or with my mum :)

I'm 37 and love this sort of thing, age is irrelevant really. As long as i love horror and sci-fi, i'll keep going to conventions. Looks like that will be forever then ;)

I'm bringing my 3 daughters with me who are 16, 14 and 12

I still remember my youngest getting a photoshoot with Robert Englund when she was 8 and then Bruce Campbell when she was 9. :WINCE:

Hell, I bring my Mum and Dad to these events...They're just as geeky as I am. My Mum has a Jedi robe dressing gown and a massive statue of an AT-AT on the hallway. My Dad collects 50s B-Movies, and can hold his own in a conversation with my geekiest friends from pro-wrestling to silver age comics.

If I'm that awesome when I'm that old, then I'll have succeeded at something.

It may be the last convention I attend for awhile as my finacial status has declined. As it is, I have unfortunally had to cut back on LFCC, there were plenty that I would like to of met but I am so thankful to Showmasters for getting such high calibre guests. I will continue to look at the sites to see who is attending and depending how important they are to me (Young Ones reunion and Malcolm McDowell), I will attend.

However, keep up the good work Showmasters :)

Edited by ClockworkOwen18

• Moderators

I think the great thing is that people can dip in and out if they have to, due to whatever circumstances, whether financial or otherwise.

We've got new people starting now, as well as those who haven't been in years etc, but you can still come along and feel a part of it :thumbup:

this will be my second LFCC last year was a good show but i was limited by my funds this year im going all out got loads of photoshoots and once i have had them all took if i still have loads of time i will buy more lol if i get through the 9 on sat no problem i will buy more for the sunday.

i plan on going home with more than i can carry with me.

lucky i work for the railway and dont have a limit on how much i can take with me :)

I've been going to cons on and off since 2007 - I would have loved to have gone to some beforehand but I wasn't aware of them and wasn't old enough - m parents think its a waste of money but they've accepted that I want to go to them and now that I'm a student I have more freedom to go these things. My friends now about them and most think its silly but when I tell them of some of the people I've met their expressions change into jealousy and wonderment. I'm 20 next month and I don't see me stopping going to cons any time soon - I migh limit myself depending on finances (no student loan after next year) but I will always love the idea of meeting my idols!

TBH I'll admit when I first got into it when I went to the ET's for instance, I would get very embarrassed and not tell my friends the exact truth, the few that did know ripped the hell out of me for it. I think that came down to coming from the age old "popular" school stock so they'd never understand really.

They are however the exact same people who are like "jealooooous" when I post a facebook photo of me with someone they like.

People are too quick to judge people who goto conventions. For instance I spend my time going clubbing to RnB dance clubs, or reading, or coding or with my boyfriend or the cinema the point being peoples interests are vasts, I hate it when people pigeon hole others.

the whole age thing is actually stupid even though i am only 17 my mum is 50 and comes with me to meet everyone who i have even if she has never seen the programme especially the buffy guests but she loves to do it and it creates memories for me ( apart from weekend cons) we will be doing the same for this con 'hopefully' by meeting karen gillan.

most of my mates know at college and always ask me about it afterwards and i say how great it is and hav actually convinced them to come at other ones. i have too many interests with the films and tv shows that sm get to there events and hope to be able to come to these events for a long while :)

Think I'm calling it a day with this con too. Approaching 27 years old and really don't want to be one of those guys in their 30s still attending conventions.
Why is age a factor?

i agree. im 41 on the 11th july and im bringing my 15 yr old daughter with me. its fun and a convention is something the whole family can go to :WINCE: you are never too old to have fun!

I have no shame or embarassment about my interests, and why should I? People either accept me for who I am or they don't. I don't really care whether they "understand" or not .. I don't "understand" a lot of things people do or are interested in, but each to their own. Everyone should have the right to have their own interests, and not be 'closet geeks' or whatever.

Couldn't agree more. I never make a secret of my geekiness - I'm proud of it. I had my Supernatural stuff set up on my desk the second day I started in my current job - sure I get people teasing a little, but it's all good- natured and some people are genuinely impressed when they're talking about a TV show or movie and I mention that I've met one of the stars.

Fandom has given me some fab experiences and brought me some amazing friends. The only downside is the dent it makes in my finances! I'm 40 now and more into this stuff than I ever was as a teenager. My husband attended his first con at age 52, so I don't see age as any kind of barrier.

Im 38, married with 3 kids and work as a Bricklayer and i dont consider myself the typical media driven covention geek so age or marital status should not come into it.

My Mrs is glad when i scuttle off for a weekend of Autographs and beer!

totally agree with you there lennybear,the wives are well happy when we do something we enjoy!

i would tho consider you a part time sci fi geek! and brickie??thought you were a multi skill technician! :blink:

Im 34 with a son and am def NOT the stereotypical con-goer. And I dont think ill ever stop-until I go absolutely penniless. And even then Id probably just stop eating.

At least not until my collection is complete.

So, when Wes Craven, Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, Johnny Depp, Mr & Mrs Zombie, Patricia Arquette etc etc etc are all announced for one F*** OFF HUGE SHOW, then, after that, I may well stop. In fact, I think Id die!

Just my 2 cents.