May well be my last Convention :grump:

I started doing events and conventions in 2002 when I was 25 and 9 years on, I still enjoy doing them as much, granted I don't do as many full weekends as before due to work etc but I can't imagine not doing them at all.

I've never ever seen age as an issue to stop doing these, my mum usually accompanies me on these and at nearly 60 she hasn't any plans to give up yet (her words not mine!!!)

I say do what you want (wherever possible of course) and you'll enjoy life more!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by ericsdonor

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never ever seen age as an issue to stop doing these, my mum usually accompanies me on these and at nearly 60 she hasn't any plans to give up yet (her words not mine!!!)

I say do what you want (wherever possible of course) and you'll enjoy life more!!! :unsure:

Agreed. I've quite often brought my Dad along, and he's now 75, and though he doesn't always know who some guests are (and I have to explain about three times, lol!), he loves it too, and he always has a bit of a joke with the guests we've met. :lol:

"aren't you getting a bit old for all of that silly nonsense now"

Not sure whats silly about it TBH. People dress up for Hallowen and stags etc. Anyway, I personally dont dress up so what does it matter? I tell people I go to cons but I've never had the age thing thrown at me. Sometimes though I rephrase it as being like a 'book signing event' or an 'exhibition'.

Just tell people about it like its no big deal. If you make it a big deal, it will be. Be unaplogetic about it. You're frame and reality should be stronger than theirs. By acting nervous or shameful about it only gives the other person license to give you crap.

way i see it my other half has just spent 450 on parts to build a pc that he will happily pay to travel to the other end of the coutry to pick parts up for. i think its sad but its what he likes to do.

he doesnt get the signing thing at all, infact i get ridiculed a lot for it but he says its good for me to get out and see my friends ( i see lfcc as a social gathering now the guests are a bonus) ive got to say a lot of people that have crossed my path do call me wierd but i gave up caring what they said a long time ago and some of them have gone on to visit cmglasgow and tenth planet events as they didnt know about them.

only problem i have age wise is now im not a mature student anymore its back to full price on the trains and i can't aford to get to them now ... :lol: i would never say im to old, my step daughter loves spn and has asked a few times to come with me to events where the cast are there.

Not sure whats silly about it TBH. People dress up for Hallowen and stags etc. Anyway, I personally dont dress up so what does it matter? I tell people I go to cons but I've never had the age thing thrown at me. Sometimes though I rephrase it as being like a 'book signing event' or an 'exhibition'.

Just tell people about it like its no big deal. If you make it a big deal, it will be. Be unaplogetic about it. You're frame and reality should be stronger than theirs. By acting nervous or shameful about it only gives the other person license to give you crap.

I may have misunderstood you here, apologies if so, but why rephrase what you are attending? Does that not indicate an embarrassment factor?

Think I'm calling it a day with this con too. Approaching 27 years old and really don't want to be one of those guys in their 30s still attending conventions.
Why is age a factor?

Exactly, I'm 31 and still attending, age doesnt and shouldnt matter. If it's something you enjoy and theres someone you want to meet then I say go for it whatever age you are. I think finances are the only reason I'll have to call and end to regular cons quite soon.

Edited by Charmer

I may have misunderstood you here, apologies if so, but why rephrase what you are attending? Does that not indicate an embarrassment factor?

Yeah, I kind of contradicted myself there but I rephrase it for people I dont know but if its someone I do know then I'm just straight up. Calibration is key. The word 'Conventions' is associated with some negativity, I just call it something else. Kinda like calling a stripper an 'exotic dancer.'

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

I have no shame or embarassment about my interests, and why should I? People either accept me for who I am or they don't. I don't really care whether they "understand" or not .. I don't "understand" a lot of things people do or are interested in, but each to their own. Everyone should have the right to have their own interests, and not be 'closet geeks' or whatever.

If something means a lot to you, then carry it on, be proud of it, and don't let outside opinion ruin anything. Obviously priorities can change, as do tastes, and so something that meant a lot a few years back may not anymore, but that's fine .. just don't regret letting go of something, or ever feel like you can't go back to it.

Look guys if you think you too old to get autographs get photoshoots instaed all ages do this and plus its better for memories and will last longer.

Autographs is a collection, worst comes to worst I can sell it. Photos can't do that. I'm not sure why it's better - what's it do? Prove you stood next to someone for 20 seconds? Could fake that in photoshop - much easier with photoshoots. Over the table shots much harder.

I don't think I'm too old to get autographs, but each time after I spend 3-4 hours travelling to a venue, I think I'm getting to old for all this (running around). I should have better things to spend my money on too. It's a case of yeah I suppose if I'm doing all this for two dozen new dozen new people its worth while, half a dozen its more trouble than its worth.

Edited by TerraHawk

I have no shame or embarassment about my interests, and why should I?

If something means a lot to you, then carry it on, be proud of it, and don't let outside opinion ruin anything.

I agree completely. I'm a firm believer in that saying "Never regret something that once made you happy". That's one big reason why I'm attending again. As I've said before on these forums, I've not been to any since 2006 through no fault of my own. I remembered that saying, and can't wait to get back into the swing of things again. :whistling:

I started attending SM shows waaaaaaay back at CM1 and fell in love with the concept straight away. After a couple years of hard work I eventually opened my own comic shop and was lucky enough to be a dealer at almost every SM show around the country.

This January I turned 29 and because of money issues had to close my shop down. It sucks, it really really sucks. But you know what is gonna be awesome? Being able to attend the shows as a fan again and not having to worry about if I have made enough money during the weekend.

I love these shows for more than just the Autographs and Photoshoots (which are still awesome!), for more than just the chance to chat to some dealers and pick up some great merchandise. It's the atmosphere! I will never forget the buzz of walking around the Milton Keynes shopping centre during a CM event and knowing that the "geeks" were outnumbering the "norms". Being proud of being part of a movement that regular run-of-the-mill Coronation Street/Footbal/Million Pound Drop watchers just don't understand. I live to be unique and own my own little piece of fanaticsm that only a handfull of others get. Being able to walk across Earls Court and spot someone with a Green Lantern T-Shirt and know that we are on the same wavelength. It all lets me know that I am part of something in this world. That I do fit in somewhere!

I do kinda understand what MightMax is saying though, I have felt this way too. But maybe he just needs a little time away from the shows to realise what he is missing out on.

Regardless, this thread is brilliant! Being able to read all of your stories is not only fun and interesting, but also enforces my sense of unity amongst you, my peers! Hopefully I'll see some of you at CM and LFCC!!!

Blimey who would have thought my little message would create such banter?

I know I'll miss it and if an event gets a guest that takes my liking I'll be there but just can't see it being very often after LFCC. I've met my idol (Hamill) so I'm happy.

I'll miss all the random chats with people but I need to call it a day. Perhaps once I've moved and settled back down it could return.

Just need to go through my stuff and see what I want to keep. I haven't a clue where to start!!

Blimey who would have thought my little message would create such banter?

Actually it was Matt2006 and his age thing that brought most of this on, well it was for me anyway. I'm still waiting for him to post back.

Actually it was Matt2006 and his age thing that brought most of this on, well it was for me anyway. I'm still waiting for him to post back.

Exactly, most responses has been about the stupid age issue. Perhaps a narrow-minded alien took over his body and wrote that? I've seen it happen before...

On Star Trek.

If something means a lot to you, then carry it on, be proud of it, and don't let outside opinion ruin anything.

I agree completely. I'm a firm believer in that saying "Never regret something that once made you happy".

Within reason, of course; not sure you could use those sentiments to justify continued indulgence in Scottish country dancing, or bestiality... :D

I agree completely. I'm a firm believer in that saying "Never regret something that once made you happy".

Within reason, of course; not sure you could use those sentiments to justify continued indulgence in Scottish country dancing, or bestiality... :P

Maybe not individually but you really ought to try doing the two things together, it took me to a new dimension of pleasure

Well I went to my first Collectormania with a friend, after that I met a group of like minded people where I live and started attending the events with some of them.

I'm 30 at the end of the year and am the youngest of the group. It ranges from 29 right through too over 60 years old. Although some don't attend as much as they used to due to seeing most the guest they wanted, when any of us go we still have a good time..

With or without the group going, I like to go with my hubby (who is 40 in November)..

We met through our love of sci-fi, actually it was mainly Star Trek that brought us together (I won't bore you with the story of how I bid on something with someone and later found out it was my now hubby)

The few things I have heard from people that have always stuck in my head are:-

- I was told not to end up looking back when I'm 75 having regrets about the things I never did or gave up that I shouldn't have.

- Also my mum said - So long as you can pay your bills, have a roof over your head, food in the fridge, and maybe some savings in the bank, so long as you are not doing anything illegal or harming anyone else, then spend what money you have left doing what you want with your life, and don't let me or anyone else tell you otherwise..

She is right, as I know she would never go round collecting autographs (my dad certainly wouldn't and thinks its a waist of time and money each to there own) but she understands that everyone is different and has different things they want to do with there lives, which I respect.

I'm never going to give up going to conventions, I may go to less (due to not being into many different shows and not having a lot of guests I want to see still) but I won't go cold turkey or anything like that, as I know I would miss going too much.

Deep down I keep hoping my kids will find some show (maybe Dr Who if its still on) that there into (when ever I get round to having kids) so I can take them to events like collectormania and LFACC. (who knows hey, we can dream though)

:P

LLAP ;)

Within reason, of course; not sure you could use those sentiments to justify continued indulgence in Scottish country dancing, or bestiality... ;)

Maybe not individually but you really ought to try doing the two things together, it took me to a new dimension of pleasure

:P;)

Think I'm calling it a day with this con too. Approaching 27 years old and really don't want to be one of those guys in their 30s still attending conventions.

Pfffff im 31 and will be going to cons untill i run out of cash or die.

there is no age limit on enjoying stuff.

i recently changed job and have more funds for this con and im going all out photoshoot wise :)) 13 photoshoots so far and just splurged on a gold pass.

going to be fun fun fun.

I'm twenty-one and it actually makes me incredibly happy to think I'll still be going to shows for at least the next twenty years. Age has nothing to do with it. For me personally, it's about holding on to this geeky part of myself as, more than anything, it's what defines me as a person. Honestly, I don't think the magic of being around so many like-minded people will ever wear off.

Then again, I'm only twenty-one. Who knows what'll happen in the future? But it'll be a sad day if I ever decide I'm 'too old' to participate in something I really enjoy.

Age is definitely not a factor. I didn't start going to conventions until I was over 40 and 18 months ago I joined the crew.

I enjoy showing off my photos after events and telling people what I've been up to and who I've seen. I've even introduced a few of my workmates to the joys of conventions.

I have absolutely no plans to stop going, especially while Jason keeps getting us such amazing guests and the events have such a great atmosphere. :unsure:

Edited by dwarfbabe