May well be my last Convention :grump:

This could well be my last convention :P

I am seriously thinking about calling it a day. Unfortunately I have other things to concentrate my finances on (house). I might have called it earlier if Christopher Lloyd and the Hellraiser line-up hadn't been announced. I had met him before at LFCC but my BTTF poster arrived too late so could only get his autograph on a photo.

I will probably sell up my collection and just keep my favourites and a few of my posters so if I do decide to take it back-up I will just concentrate on completing those. But for me due to financies it will have to be a MUST get autograph on my posters rather than a casual visit to London.

I haven't been overly active on the forum like I used to be but I will still pop in from now and again to keep an eye on the guests to see if there are any new BTTF or Star Wars guests

So if you are new to the hobby, enjoy it! Enjoy the challenge plotting your moves around the UK or abroad while searching for that must have signature. You will meet some fantastic like minded people.

For people that have been collecting for a long time I hope you continue to enjoy it! If I ever had random chat in queues cheers.

SM - many thanks to you and all the crew past and present for opportunity over the past 7 years of collecting for providing fantastic venues with fantastic guests!

LFCC 2011 is going to be a fantastic convention.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going the other way this year, lol! I haven't been to any of these events since 2006, mainly due to various things that kept cropping up or lack of money. But earlier this year, just through being nosy, I decided to look at when the next dates for CM and LFCC were, and saw some fab guests listed for LFCC and thought "Right, I HAVE to go to this one this year!" I won't be able to make CM17 this year, too much short notice on my behalf to have to arrange hotel and travel etc, (shame coz there are a few guests I'd love to meet), but I feel LFCC will be a great way to get back into the swing of things. :blush:

I tend to go through stages of attending loads then nothing for a couple of years - mainly due to finances I must admit and have missed some great guests over the years.

But will stick at it and even have my kids to drag round now too.

Think I'm calling it a day with this con too. Approaching 27 years old and really don't want to be one of those guys in their 30s still attending conventions. Meeting Clive Barker will be ending my days of attending Showmasters events on a extremely good note :unsure:

Only thing to maybe tempt me back would be if Carl Weathers comes back as I've still yet to meet him. Oh and maybe some Goonies. But I think that's it.

What's wrong with being 30 and still going to conventions? As long as you'e having fun, what's the problem? :unsure: Sounds like the thought of ignorant people who think only 40 year old virgins who live n their mom's basements goes to these things.

I've been saying I'm getting to old for this since I started...

but certainly think its drawing closer. May well be the first one I miss. We shall see.

Loosing the EMS rather dented my enthusiasm though.

What's wrong with being 30 and still going to conventions? As long as you'e having fun, what's the problem? :unsure: Sounds like the thought of ignorant people who think only 40 year old virgins who live n their mom's basements goes to these things.

And where does this sterotype of living in mom's basement come from anyway? Doesn't mom have her son's old room still available? Kevin Smith in Die Hard 4 lived in his moms basment.

I've been saying I'm getting to old for this since I started...

but certainly think its drawing closer. May well be the first one I miss. We shall see.

Loosing the EMS rather dented my enthusiasm though.

Well I'm 35 but for me it's nothing to do with age. It's a mixture of things. But the main one is moving house and settling down so my priorities have changed. Also all I've met most of the guests I want to meet at these conventions so they are all repeat or have no interest for me. I've decided that I'll be getting rid of my stuff (just need time to list it on ebay) apart from SW and BTTF hence a nice way to finish off my poster with CL.

I do wait with baited breath to see who to is going to be though. ;)

I think thats it mainly for me, I've done enough events that percentage wise there's less new.

Now I am a massive Dr Who fan, so Karen being announced really should tip the balance.

But.... strangely I'm still not sure. She's proven good at answering her fanmail :lol:

I think thats it mainly for me, I've done enough events that percentage wise there's less new.

Now I am a massive Dr Who fan, so Karen being announced really should tip the balance.

But.... strangely I'm still not sure. She's proven good at answering her fanmail :(

She's a fantastic guest for Dr Who fans (and she's :lol: ) but not for me.

What's wrong with being 30 and still going to conventions? As long as you'e having fun, what's the problem? :D Sounds like the thought of ignorant people who think only 40 year old virgins who live n their mom's basements goes to these things.

I'm 44 !! don't see age as an issue

Approaching 27 years old and really don't want to be one of those guys in their 30s still attending conventions.

You mean one of those 'uncool' looking guys who walk around on their own or with their wives? You wont be one of 'those guys', you'll be you.

Do you want to quit cons because you feel you're too old or becuase other people think you're too old? If its the latter they probably have always thought you were too 'something'.

Just cos we're geeting older doesnt necessarily mean my desire to meet guests from my favourite films will ever diminish. I'm a fan of certian things...age has nowt to do with it. To be frank your inner belief sounds like the kinda thing a narrow-minded non-con goer would say.

I've been doing SM cons since 2003, I'm 35 and have a life and shock horror get laid.

And sadly, I'm old enough to be most people's mother on this board! (Gulp!)

I started going to events when I was 16, dropped out after about 10 years, and only when I went crazy on a TV show that I liked about 10 years ago, and members of the cast were turning up at SM events, I decided to come back. And I still enjoy them.

It's not an age thing at all.

Well, I genuinely don't want this to sound like a lecture, but it probably will a bit.

From what I have read, I may be the oldest person on this thread so far....I am 46. I am married and we have one son. My wife is 36 and before she met me, she had just this closed-mind attitude of "lives with mum, silly "little boys" in silly costume, no girlfriend"

Then we went to a convention, her very first and she met a member of the BUFFY cast, a member of the FARSCAPE cast and two MATRIX cast members. I was an event veteran by that time, so had explained that there would be some people in costume but that more than likely, they would be there for a specific costume parade or competition.

Now she loves them. Her overriding experience can be summed up by her explanation to me which was..."I never knew you could get so close to the stars" and it is only an emergency that will keep us away. Our son is a major WHO fan and this year's CM and LF&CC are going to be a blast for him, specially when he sees the Photo-Shoot ticket we have for him at the LF&CC!

I have determined (after 20 years of going to conventions all over the UK) that the "aren't you getting a bit old for all of that silly nonsense now" bugbear is usually delivered by people that have no imagination whatsoever, or are just plain jealous, because they have not got the guts to do it themselves.

As for your collection, your collection that you have spent years building up...? You are just going to sell it off and next-to-nothing prices? Each auto serves as a part of, and a time/place marker in, my own personal history and I would not shed even one for a moment.

So, if you really want to give up then fine, do so....but make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons, or it could be a choice you will regret.

Edited by SlippDigby

Now she loves them. Her overriding experience can be summed up by her explanation to me which was..."I never knew you could get so close to the stars" and it is only an emergency that will keep us away. Our son is a major WHO fan and this year's CM and LF&CC are going to be a blast for him, specially when he sees the Photo-Shoot ticket we have for him at the LF&CC!

It's always a great feeling to know you've got someone else interested in attending, isn't it? I've taken friends in the past who were never too sure at the start, then once they attend, they kept asking when the next one is, lol! :WINCE:

Im 38, married with 3 kids and work as a Bricklayer and i dont consider myself the typical media driven covention geek so age or marital status should not come into it.

My Mrs is glad when i scuttle off for a weekend of Autographs and beer!

Edited by Lennybear

Well I am 33, female, single and share a house with my Mum but I don't think that is sad or wrong or anything and I love coming to the conventions!

And will still go to them for years to come. What is with all the narrow minded people on this forum shesh!!!

53 this July...travelled to Vancouver 6 times for Stargate stuff, Chicago once, done LFCC 3 times, CMania 4 times, 3 Chevrons (including last week's Chevron 7.6 to see Richard Dean Anderson) and a couple of others...married for almost 28 years, husband accompanies me to all events and also has a blast and I even took my son once to Vancouver...

Through Stargate and it's fandom, (and others) I've met and made friends from as far as Alaska to Australia, travelled the world more than I ever dreamed and met some amazing and varied guests, too numerous to name...

You are NEVER too old to stop enjoying what makes you happy.....trust me, life is way too short (I know having lost nearest and dearest long before their time) and you only get one shot at it.... :borg:

Do what makes you happy.....if you don't, you'll regret it...

And NEVER apologise for having a good time... :clap:

Deeds xx

Only started attending events in 2005 and in that time I've met some amazing people (and great guests too).

So even if I ever get to the point when I think, nah, I don't need to see so and so or can't afford to get loads of things, I'm pretty certain I'll still go to loads of events as it's a great excuse for meeting up with friends from across the UK and abroad.