Highs and lows

dwarfbabe

Highs:

Meeting RDA at the meet 'n greet on Friday. What a laugh! He was asking people which of us had come the furthest for the event. I said '"Alpha Centauri - do I win?" Without missing a beat, and with his best Jack 'deadpan' expression he said : "Alpha Centauri, is that some Star Trek thing?".

RDA autographing the back of his chair and pretending to sign off the edge and sign the stage carpet !

Low:

I felt so tired on the Sunday, I actually forgot to check the raffle tickets I bought for RDA's Sunday Encounter - So glad I'd talked with him on the Friday !

Edited by KirkEnterprise

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ocassional selfish attendee losing it over RDA's hat... I mean seriously its a hat. Its his head he can wear what he wants. Plus I thought it looked cute!

Why? What happened? I didn't witness anything anything about that, but would have felt ashamed for us fans if I had!

I was working the photoshoots on Sunday (aka Hat Day) and was the one feeding everyone through the shoot so I had a 'great' view of the minidrama. I apologise for it being so rushed, by the way. We had nearly 500 photos to do in just over an hour (including 120 left from the day before!) and because everyone was being great about it we only ran over by 10 minutes! So yeah, thanks for that :D

Anyway, a couple of people asked him to take his hat off, but he didn't want to. There was one specific rude woman who had a Silver/Gold shoot and had bought an extra one. She asked him to remove his hat but RDA said he didn't want to and the first photo was taken as normal. THEN she asked him a second, third and fourth time to remove the hat before the second photo was taken - he said no, security said no then in unison RDA, security, Malcolm and the crew all said "no" and she finally faced the camera for her second photo. I understand that she had a bit of a moan outside in the corridor too :D

It's all about respecting the guest's wishes and she wasn't doing that. Yes, it's a photo that she paid for and perhaps it's a shame that he wore a hat when she didn't want him to BUT you wouldn't ask a guest to change their shirt if it clashed with yours, or to change their hairstyle because you didn't like it, so you shouldn't be asking them to remove a hat either.

There were a few others who asked about the hat and a couple of those tried to push it, but she was the worst because her behaviour resulted in upset for guests, crew and other attendees ;)

:P Wow! What a....why would you throw a fit in front of a guest like that?! It's called respect people, I loved the hat and wanted to take it off him and home with me :WINCE:

urgh, people like her ruin these things for other people :chair:

I loved the hat and wanted to take it off him and home with me :P
Just to clarify - you were prepared to take the hat home and leave RDA behind? :chair:

;) Without being tackled by his security? I WISH! :D

I was there on Sunday, when he walked into the photoshoot, and said "please dont make me take my hat off"

Having only just arrived Sunday morning, I was a little confused to say the least lol :P

I can understand attendees having ordered multiple photoshoots wanting them to look different, however, I would never want a guest to feel uncomfortable, and if he wanted to keep his hat on, it wouldnt bother me

Edited by Rhianydd

I was a few people behind her (the blonde you later told was "held" :chair:)

Were you the one I hugged? I had to hold a few people that day and one person responded to "you're held" with "not properly" so I gave them a hug and asked if that was better, lol. The problem is that the morning went by so quickly and in such a blur that I can't even remember if that was a man or woman or even which photoshoot it was!

Oh yeah, back on topic:

Highs

* Chocolate gifts, even if one kind person got Milk Tray man abuse out of it. You know who you are and I don't appreciate any behaviour that could have detrimental results on my Twix Fino receipt and ingestion ;)

* The friendly and relaxed atmosphere made this a very fun event to work at. The crew work from 8am until 8pm (or whatever time we finish party set up) and because we like to get dressed up and come and party with everyone, we don't usually make it to bed before 2am. That gives us only 4.5 hours of sleep before we get to start it all over again. Three days in a row for some of us. We only do it for the fun, god knows it's not for the money, so being surrounded by such lovely chocolate-wielding people just makes us all that little bit more enthusiastic for round 2 :D

Lows

* Rude photoshoot lady

* Hilton Food prices. Andrea and I wanted chips on Sat night but refused to buy one bowl each because that would kill £8. We got one to share and made off with loads of extra condiments to even out the prices.

* Coming home and seeing the tiny mountain of C7.7 resell tickets I have to process, the Hub letters that need to be sent and the orders backing up in the online shop

* Needing to do a bit more exercise before me and the girls hit the Jacuzzi at the Hub. I'm not as fly in my teenie bikini as I used to be :P

Foot pain

Brain pain

Sleeping schedule all outta wack

Oh! A couple of other highs:

RDA was staying a few doors down from me and my friend, imagine our surprise when we saw him walking towards us with his security, squeals ensured once out of the lift :P

And catching him lurking on the first day, out of chance! Yes! More squeals ensured ;) I we were just going to our room and boom! There!

(Sorry, edited to stop guest hunters at future cons, not your fault, please dont be offended)

That's fine Rhianydd, sorry!

Edited by Rhianydd

no, no, please dont apologise, you didnt do anything wrong, just something we are trying to keep an eye on

Thanks for being so lovely about it :P

It's a very good idea to be keeping an eye on that ;)

Welcome :D

I wish I xwitnessed this photo shoot incident, I feel left out lol.

Well, I don't think he's done that either

You never know :P

Were you the one I hugged? I had to hold a few people that day and one person responded to "you're held" with "not properly" so I gave them a hug and asked if that was better, lol. The problem is that the morning went by so quickly and in such a blur that I can't even remember if that was a man or woman or even which photoshoot it was!

Haha no that wasn't me. I just laughed at the way you said it & commented that I'd do whatever Malcolm told me as he's rsther scary lol

Highs

* Chocolate gifts, even if one kind person got Milk Tray man abuse out of it. You know who you are and I don't appreciate any behaviour that could have detrimental results on my Twix Fino receipt and ingestion :D

**searches for 'like' button** :blush:

Highs - RDA obviously..lovely sweet (surprisingly relaxed and open) fantastic wonderful :blush: guy. Laughing so hard I thought I'd lost it (I'll never think of Patrick Stewart without cracking up laughing for the rest of my life!). Fabulous photos (Malcolm you are a star). Learning what Sea Shepherd are all about. Meeting up with friends etc. Making it to all 3 parties this time (!) My first go on a bouncy castle ever (and I am nearly 42 years old - mental age of about 12 mind u!)

Lows - the worst post-con blues ever plus I am dreading my credit card bill.

Highs

* Chocolate gifts, even if one kind person got Milk Tray man abuse out of it. You know who you are and I don't appreciate any behaviour that could have detrimental results on my Twix Fino receipt and ingestion :D

Lows

* Needing to do a bit more exercise before me and the girls hit the Jacuzzi at the Hub. I'm not as fly in my teenie bikini as I used to be :blush:

haha Mr Milk Tray, which is a natural progression as he used to be the milky bar kid! :angry:

Im sure many would say you're very fly

girls in teenie bikinis @ the hub? :D goes to buy entry ticket lol will there be a photo shoot? :uhoh:

Lows

* Needing to do a bit more exercise before me and the girls hit the Jacuzzi at the Hub. I'm not as fly in my teenie bikini as I used to be ;)

Wait a minute, I'm sure there wasn't a Jacuzzi at the Hub last time, when did this addition occur?

Lows

* Needing to do a bit more exercise before me and the girls hit the Jacuzzi at the Hub. I'm not as fly in my teenie bikini as I used to be ;)

Wait a minute, I'm sure there wasn't a Jacuzzi at the Hub last time, when did this addition occur?

There's always been a jacuzzi at The Park Inn. It's downstairs, just before you go to the restaurant, on your left is a door leading to it. At least that's where I think it is!

Lows

There's always been a jacuzzi at The Park Inn. It's downstairs, just before you go to the restaurant, on your left is a door leading to it. At least that's where I think it is!

Must have been so busy having fun during the weekend then that I never knew...

Lows

Must have been so busy having fun during the weekend then that I never knew...

I'll show you next weekend :(

the hilton prices, my god, 12 quid for a club sandwich, 2.90 for a small bottle of water. my my. queues meant i had to go for this instead of the cheap con option. evening i went to subway ;-)

The small shop had 1.5lt bottles of water for £1.95, if you went to the concierge desk they had a list of restaurants that did delivery

Malcolm, how the hell you got through all them photo's, fastest trigger in the west!! :thumbup: :

They should set him to music and then post it on YouTube

Lows

Over too soon!

The ocassional selfish attendee losing it over RDA's hat... I mean seriously its a hat. Its his head he can wear what he wants. Plus I thought it looked cute!

Almost forgot the full blown post con lurgy I got on the train home... Who was the culprit??

There were people complaining about his hat in Vancouver last year as well. I think this was a much more enjoyable con

Post-con lurgy/con-crud is the Beast, I got it after a con in February, had a cough for weeks, it was almost gone, then I went to an anime con last month and had a mild relapse!

This Storm Hawks fanfic was inspired by the six week con-crud I got after attending a Stargate con in Vancouver - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4627882/1/All_..._Come_to_an_End

Edited by Demonique

Highs - great guests, (even if Gary was a little quiet in photo shoots and signings)

Meeting RDA who is the most awesome man in the universe! and through him finding out about Sea

Shepperd.

lovely and very helpful hotel staff,

great bed even if I did manage to launch myself off the side of it!

All the convention staff were wonderful.

Meeting old friends and making new ones.

Getting lots of hugs.

Eventually getting the continiuity pic of Gary Jones that was sold at the auction.

The lovely pic of David Nykl as Zelanka that I also got in the auction. (It's one of my favorite pics)

Watching T.K Lee strutting his stuff to YMCA.

Having a fantastic time all round.

Lows - Having it end far too soon

Not getting to say goodbye to everyone.

Knowing that I wont be at the next one. ( I am going to Canada.)

An 8 hr 20 minute trip to Keyworth from Birmingham!

I didnt find the prices in the hotel that expensive compared to what I pay at home. The prices for the lounge bar food was comparabel to what I normally pay so that wasn't too bad. Was expecting to pay alot more.

Highs

1. I know I paid for it, but having a VIP ticket so I didn't have to queue horrendously (for autos I did a bit but not for photos) was so worth it & being the first VIP to be processed, making me VIP1, was an added bonus.

2. Meeting all the guests.

3. Sitting next to RDA at the Sat night evening meal & having Dan opposite me & Fulvio a couple of people away (this being the main reason I bought the VIP ticket, as this meal was the 2nd most expensive one I'd got - the Michael Shanks one was the most expensive & the other 2 were a lot cheaper.)

4. Spending time with Fulvio, who was the most sociable guest I've ever met! ;)

5. Meeting lots of different people again.

Lows

1. Totally understandable, but felt like a conveyer belt through the photoshoots.

2. For 1 panel, VIP4 got the aisle seat in the front row, but there were 3 gold ticket holders who got the 3 seats next to her where the stage was, meaning myself & the other 2 VIP's had to sit further along. One VIP said they were told to! We should've been swapped with the gold ticket holders & the VIP's should have had central seats for the whole time - I'm sorry but we did pay a lot of money for this convention & the wording was "Your priority chosen seating at all stage events", but I couldn't find someone to say something. :lol: So we just made sure we got there early & even made our own labels to put on the seats & I was told they still got moved! But we were OK for the other panels - if we weren't, I certainly would've made sure we were! ;)

3. Coming home! Don't want to do that again!! :thumbup:

Highs

* Seeing friends - even if it was briefly through the weekend :)

* Random chats in queues and the hall

* The guests were all amazing and the talks were much fun.

* Getting the opportunity to see RDA in attendance at an event.

* Teryl and Gary and Dan on stage. Funniest talks in while :) Dan in particular is mental (in a good way!)

* Having a badge that could be hole punched so everything was in one place

* Walking into the Friday night party and seeing it buzzing with people dancing to rock

* Spending time chilling and chatting in the bar Saturday evening

* The Sea Shepherd shoot on Sunday

* The announcement of Ben Browder

* Last panel may have been the longest but it felt like it could have gone on longer :)

Lows

* Not having raffle numbers read out for coffee lounge talks meant many people leaving the hall at once and blocking up the foyer outside the hall between talks. I overheard someone from a row in front missed their talk due to this issue as they couldn't get to the board to check it. Maybe the bidding cut-off and draws for these could be done before the guest talks start ?

* Hotel car parking. Not Massives fault, but a general bug with the Hilton that they still charge for people with rooms, particularly disabled guests who have no option other than to drive as carting cases and themselves on a train is difficult. Apparently they now charge an extra £3 for their "priority carpark"

* Witnessing some of the RDA hat requests.

* Lacking the energy to party. Only briefly managed anything Friday night for a few hours.

* No roommate due to unfortunate circumstances meant having to leave Sunday as I couldn't afford to stay.

* Having a friend dive backwards off the mechanical stargate sunday hurting their neck before I left

* My bank balance after buying a silver 7.7 Chevron ;)

Edited by Samphirette

• Showmasters Admin

Lows

2. For 1 panel, VIP4 got the aisle seat in the front row, but there were 3 gold ticket holders who got the 3 seats next to her where the stage was, meaning myself & the other 2 VIP's had to sit further along. One VIP said they were told to! We should've been swapped with the gold ticket holders & the VIP's should have had central seats for the whole time - I'm sorry but we did pay a lot of money for this convention & the wording was "Your priority chosen seating at all stage events", but I couldn't find someone to say something. :whistling: So we just made sure we got there early & even made our own labels to put on the seats & I was told they still got moved! But we were OK for the other panels - if we weren't, I certainly would've made sure we were! :thumbup:

as i said at the opening ceremony , if anyone had any issues please come up to anyone of us in the red tops or me or Mark and we will try to fix it for you , we cannot fix it after the event , if we do not know there is an issue we cannot fix it for you , sorry if this want not what you wanted but please in future do find some one and tell us . we are there to help everyone that attends our events

hope to see you again

jason