RIP Henry Cooper

sazzra

They brought up an old quote from a certain Cassius Clay regarding when Henry knocked him down during their bout...

"He hit me so hard that my relatives in Africa felt it..."

Pure Cassius Clay and those same relatives, as will all Boxing fans, will be mourning Henry's final 10 Bell Count.

I have never heard anyone have a bad word to say about Henry Cooper. They could say he was light for a heavyweight (he'd be a cruiserwight today), and they could say he cut easily, but that would seem to be the limit of criticism. Nobody ever doubted his application in the ring, and outside of the ring he was a humble gentleman. Not for him the flash baby Bentley or sense of entitlement, nor the trashtalk of today's boxers. He did his talking in the ring, and even at his fighting career peak could be found serving customers fruit and veg in his greengrocer's store. Down to earth, and treated every man on the street as his equal.

Unfortunately they don't seem to make 'em like that anymore.

RIP Henry.

Not meaning any disrespect, but I was amused by the thought of Henry giving Osama Bin Laden a good beating in the afterlife!

Henry Cooper came across as a true gentleman. I'm not a boxing fan, but I'm saddened to hear of his passing.

• 3 weeks later...