6.2 DAY OF THE MOON (2/2)

timelord81r

Written by: Steven Moffat

Directed by: Toby Haynes

I was going to post the bbc website synopsis here but it contains spoilers, well sort of, the next time sorta tells you most of the synopsis but still. now the series has started im trying to avoid spoilers, even though ive read this synopsis lol,

next time trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvi8-WIjN7s

new trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=TrHQmEoqTmw

Edited by timelord81r

I found it a very enjoyable episode, more so than last week (which I also enjoyed!) My only quibble is that there is still so much unanswered. Last season we didn't learn about the truth behind the crack for ages, but I sort of got by because it wasn't completely integral to each individual story. This time there is so much going on I feel I'm going to spend the next year completely baffled :YAHOO:

hummmm.

disappointing, so much of it made no sense. however even saying that it was still enjoyable with some good bits.

ok so why exactly are the FBI hunting them down at the start? when after they leave the prison they are all pally with nixon still on there mission. was it to try and fool the silents, this makes no sense.

how exactly do the americans in the 60s construct the perfect prison from material not of earth? they nor the doc dont batter an eye lid at this or explain it.

how and why do the tally marks start to appear by themselves on amy in the orphanage?

why does river think thats not the first time for her to kiss with that incarnation of the doc? and why is she shocked when she finds out it is? does she remember his first time differently?

why did amy say she was pregnant? why is her pregnancy fluctuating? have the silents done this and will they return? who is controlling the silents? if anyone? and how does amy now know she isnt? in the middle of the action she popped off for another test?

why did the silents need the girl in the space suit? for what purpose? and if she was amys child as the photos suggested how in the name of zesus butt hole can she regenerate? does this mean she is the docs? if so IM NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

the girl isnt shocked by the regen, so could she be romana? the doc? despite hating the fact she might be the docs, really hating that, this scene I actually really liked. it was exciting and well shot

hummm, nixon hopping in and out of the tardis willy nilly was annoying.

the fact it all seemed over rather quickly and the big bad silence foreshadowed from last series vanquished, or as good as, is that it? has silence fallen and been beaten? hummm.

something i noticed, which if im right must be significant, though perhaps im wrong? the current doc in this is wearing the future docs bow tie in this ep (future dead doc from TIA), was current doc not in a red bow tie at the end of TIA? perhaps he wasnt, maybe im imagining things lol

rivers line about a promise to live up to, thats got to be a promise to the doctor to pay for her crime surely, which is actually quite nice.

saying all this, at least it was exciting, unpredictable and interesting despite its major faults. of which the biggest was teh cliffhanger resolution, what another cop out by the moff, he has done this before. personally I hate it when shows do such and such months later, 3 years later ect after a massive incident at the start of eps, scifi does this all the time,I hate it, but forgetting that, the cliffhanger was a cheat, where did the astronaut go after being shot? why is the doc not angry at amy for shooting a child? how did rory and river escape the lodger tardis? arghhhhh, the moff has let me down a little tonight.

but again despite sometimes making no sense and having a couple of really annoying bits, it was still exciting, funny and interesting, the way the doc beats the silents by getting them to order there own destruction was marvelous.

Edited by timelord81r

why did amy say she was pregnant? why is her pregnancy fluctuating? have the silents done this and will they return? who is controlling the silents? if anyone? and how does amy now know she isnt? in the middle of the action she popped off for another test?

Perhaps, lol! We never saw her head for the bathroom, maybe she did another test while she was off-screen exploring the orphanage. :YAHOO:

some more random thoughts

loved how they played with nixon keeping loads of recordings of stuff with the doc telling him to so he knows if he has had an encounter lol,

the river pool scene, hummm, im on the fence, was a fun idea, but thought the sfx effect wasnt all that good especially the bit f water popping out of the doors as a splash as that makes no sense what so ever.

loved the david frost line

loved the shoot out at the end and rivers line hope the old fella didnt see that, he gets annoyed lol. however what exactly was the sonic doing to the silents when the doc was involved in the shoot out?

p.s I love river song

why does river think thats not the first time for her to kiss with that incarnation of the doc? and why is she shocked when she finds out it is? does she remember his first time differently?

I took it as because their time lines are the opposite way round, her first kiss with him would be his last, and vice versa, so by it being her first, if there were multiple he would have kissed future her before in his past :P but because he hasn't kissed her before she knows she will never get to kiss him again... *and breathe out* That was like the only bit I actually understood!

But then why would she shoot herself?

river didnt shoot the kid, amy did. though why the doc seems to have no issue with this in day of the moon makes no sense and really bugs me.

it isnt river regenerating, as this doesnt fit with how she acts in the library, or really anywhere else in her stories when she talks about timelords and regeneration's

I took it as because their time lines are the opposite way round, her first kiss with him would be his last, and vice versa, so by it being her first, if there were multiple he would have kissed future her before in his past :P but because he hasn't kissed her before she knows she will never get to kiss him again... *and breathe out* That was like the only bit I actually understood!

yer she said that didnt she, about it being her last.

its all very clever but it really is running the risk of disappearing up its own ass isnt it. still better than fart jokes, family affairs and alonsey lol

But then why would she shoot herself?

river didnt shoot the kid, amy did. though why the doc seems to have no issue with this in day of the moon makes no sense and really bugs me.

it isnt river regenerating, as this doesnt fit with how she acts in the library, or really anywhere else in her stories when she talks about timelords and regeneration's

yer she said that didnt she, about it being her last.

its all very clever but it really is running the risk of disappearing up its own ass isnt it. still better than fart jokes, family affairs and alonsey lol

River shoots the astronaut when it's going back into the water in the first part of the episode last week

I watched it via the iPlayer. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed - it seemed to be a series of set-pieces, as if it was written entirely on the basis of "what would be cool to see in Doctor Who". I also didn't like the resolution. The Doctor is meant to be a pacifist, so having him encourage the human race to commit genocide seemed somewhat out of character, to say the least!

I've only just watched this episode (last night in fact) and thought I'd share my thoughts...

Overall I liked these first two episodes, but I feel they were too American.

By this, I mean it seemed to be aimed more to the American market, in the same way they did with Red Dwarf's series 7 (first ep).

It had the look & feel of a bigger budget (looked more like a movie), which was good, but took away the 'feel' of the show. Again like with Red Dwarf, taking away the 'wobbly' sets took something away.

Also, something that bugged me, and if I'm wrong please let me know, but didn't America get to see the first two episodes of this series before us?

As far as I know, this would never happen over here, that we'd get to see a top American tv show's new season's episodes before they do. (and I'm not talking about time difference).

Another thing that has annoyed me with the current Doctor Who (series 5 and now) and that is the Amy & Rory relationship.

Amy never seems to tell Rory that she loves him, she always plans to, but doesn't. Even when he died(twice) she didn't tell him. She also always calls him stupid or moron or similar, which although may be in fun as part of their relationship - but it makes me feel sorry for him.

Ok, now back on track with episode 6x02 - -

Amy seeing the photo of her and her daughter(?)... but before hand the woman with the eye-patch (sister of patch dude from Lost I'm guessing) said that Amy was still dreaming...

The little girl (which is the big topic here)... my guess is that she's the Doctor's Daughter, as in the clone from series 3. I think her being River would be too easy a plot.

The Space Man killing The Doctor... I think it's River in the spacesuit. The man she 'killed' was the doctor. But I don't think his death will be a permanent death (like in Pandorica/Big Bang).

The Doctor's Prison... where'd they get the idea/tech from. If they're just going to the moon on a rocket, how can they have a prison to hold the Doctor. Also, the Pandorica was meant to be the ultimate prison, made by various intelligent races (& enemies of the doctor). Why didn't they make the Pandorica from the same tech?

TARDIS Swimming Pool... great idea, but having River happen to fall through the entire tardis and into the pool without hitting anything on the way through... hmmm...

I think that's it for now...

how exactly do the americans in the 60s construct the perfect prison from material not of earth? they nor the doc dont batter an eye lid at this or explain it.

The Doctor's Prison... where'd they get the idea/tech from. If they're just going to the moon on a rocket, how can they have a prison to hold the Doctor. Also, the Pandorica was meant to be the ultimate prison, made by various intelligent races (& enemies of the doctor). Why didn't they make the Pandorica from the same tech?
The way I've been thinking about this: As soon as the Doctor was sealed inside the prison, he seemed to be OK with it all, and was all "Canton how very good to see you, now we can talk properly again well done" etc. The whole thing was obviously planned, and therefore it surely isn't beyond the glorious forethought of the Doctor to produce materials for his own "prison", meaning they would be able to speak again once sealed inside it at a later date. The theoretical foot soldiers working in Area 51 are probably not going to ask questions, the "operation" has had approval from the president, so they could gloss over it with that maybe, thoughts? ;)

and the doc just lets em keep it? someone said to me the reason the us were hunting them was cos it was a secret mission so they didnt all know, well why were they being hunted, what had they done, the way they are pally with nixon after they leave the prison and get him to help em out later on why not have him call whoever catches them? makes no sense, then someone said was to try and confuse the silents, ok, but why do they not need to confuse them after they leave the prison?

ive not re-watched it yet, but first viewing there were too many silly needless plot holes in this ep. also still annoyed at the cop out cliffhanger resolution, the moff can write some of the best cliffhangers ever but my god is he lazy/or trying to be too clever with there resolutions. shame.

The way I've been thinking about this: As soon as the Doctor was sealed inside the prison, he seemed to be OK with it all, and was all "Canton how very good to see you, now we can talk properly again well done" etc. The whole thing was obviously planned, and therefore it surely isn't beyond the glorious forethought of the Doctor to produce materials for his own "prison", meaning they would be able to speak again once sealed inside it at a later date. The theoretical foot soldiers working in Area 51 are probably not going to ask questions, the "operation" has had approval from the president, so they could gloss over it with that maybe, thoughts? :blink:

This makes sense. This could also go with my theory that the doctor didn't really die in episode 6x01. Maybe he's doing something similar to his time-jumping in Pandorica/Big Bang, but this time without the fezz :dance:

TARDIS Swimming Pool... great idea, but having River happen to fall through the entire tardis and into the pool without hitting anything on the way through... hmmm...

yer i thought the same, nice idea but makes no sense, she would smash right into the console and then the splash out the doors? lol, fun idea and i bet the kids loved it but was a bit silly, could of done with a throw away line to explain how she gets to the pool, like re routed the entry doors to the pool doors or something.

The way I've been thinking about this: As soon as the Doctor was sealed inside the prison, he seemed to be OK with it all, and was all "Canton how very good to see you, now we can talk properly again well done" etc. The whole thing was obviously planned, and therefore it surely isn't beyond the glorious forethought of the Doctor to produce materials for his own "prison", meaning they would be able to speak again once sealed inside it at a later date. The theoretical foot soldiers working in Area 51 are probably not going to ask questions, the "operation" has had approval from the president, so they could gloss over it with that maybe, thoughts? :blink:

This makes sense. This could also go with my theory that the doctor didn't really die in episode 6x01. Maybe he's doing something similar to his time-jumping in Pandorica/Big Bang, but this time without the fezz :dance:

yer it was a plan but why did they need to do it? why are they being hunted and killed on sight by the americans? did the silents order it and canton leads it to implement the docs plan? i think so, maybe, but this is never touched upon

Yeah, I assumed that they had implanted the plan in their minds, as the Doctor had said somewhere in the story line that they could do that

the silents implanted it into the humans minds? much like how the doc defeated the silents at the end?

if not

why is the fbi and the military after amy, rory and the doc on shoot to kill?

As far as I know, this would never happen over here, that we'd get to see a top American tv show's new season's episodes before they do. (and I'm not talking about time difference).

Actually it has happened - Babylon 5 was at times broadcast in the UK before the US got to see it. This is because US TV shows have a hiatus over the holidays whereas Channel 4 continued showing the programme weekly (with the blessing of JMS). It didn't go down too well with the Americans at the time!